• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Red Button Exodus was happening during Sonic Boom development

Aeana

Let's try this again; this time, without the peanut gallery. If you're going to post stupid fanart, don't. If you're going to talk about the Sonic cycle, move on.

Again, I am sad to see that the same problem from Sonic 06 happened. Maybe to an even worse extent.

Even if the game was made to market the cartoon, I highly doubt it would have been this broken if this didn't happen.

Again, I am sad to see that the same problem from Sonic 06 happened. Maybe to an even worse extent.

Even if the game was made to market the cartoon, I highly doubt it would have been this broken if this didn't happen.

If I need to guess, the game started ambitious but CryEngine3, switch to the WiiU and their first Sonic exclusive to the WiiU bombing affected development.

Blues1990

And to think, it would make sense why I have never heard back from the studio, with regards to getting a design job. I do feel bad for them, as if this game was given some needed polish & tweets, it would have been a fine platforming game.

Nicktendo86

Shocking that Sega could treat its premier IP like thoa, they must have seen that this project was a disaster from the start but let them carry on and release a broken game. Unreal.

And to think, it would make sense why I have never heard back from then, with regards to getting a design job. I do feel bad for them, as if this game was given some needed polish & tweets, it would have been a fine platforming game.

It was likely rushed for a Holiday release and I guess to tie-in with the cartoon. Although not sure if it was going to help considering the show had no TV advertisement and airs at 7AM.

I guess this kinda explains the downgrade in graphics, but also explains the mess of development.

Wasn't the game in production for 3 years? Too unpolished for a game that was on production for so long.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Which member of the team was it that seemed to think it was highly important Sonic wear pants and have a conference call with Japan about it? I feel like if he'd left that day and been replaced by someone not crazy, who knows what might have happened!

I'm kind of more worried for Sanzaru. I feel like Sonic Boom 3DS will probably do OK, but yeah... those guys already went through enough shit with Sly 4's, er, stealth release.

Which member of the team was it that seemed to think it was highly important Sonic wear pants and have a conference call with Japan about it?

Man, that sounds like it could have come from SEGA themselves, never mind BRB. It'd be funny if it was jorts they wanted Sonic wear.

Ravidrath

There was a fair amount of staff turmoil on this project, but I don't think moreso than the usual project.

The single decision that put this game on this path was going with CryEngine. It's just not ready for a third person platformer, so they were fighting against the engine the entire time.

And the game went Gold in July, which is why people started leaving around then. Many of them layoffs.

Guri

Do we have any info on how much it changed direction along the way? I've seen people commenting, but nothing more than that.

Like I said in another sonic thread before, all those people who were given special thanks? Those are the people that have left during development. Special thanks is code for "thanks, but you left before the gold master".

RM8

They really should have cancelled it and focus on the 3DS version, but then there was the WiiU deal...

Probably worse since Sonic Team bounced back from 06. BRB is probably only getting one game.

impact

Banned
Shocking that Sega could treat its premier IP like thoa, they must have seen that this project was a disaster from the start but let them carry on and release a broken game. Unreal.

Really? This is SEGA, they clearly don't give a shit about the quality of anything attached to their name or IPs.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Man, that sounds like it could have come from SEGA themselves, never mind BRB. It'd be funny if it was jorts they wanted Sonic wear.

Bob Rafei from this interview:
"The clothing argument was a big one," said Rafei, leaning back in his chair in Big Red Button's conference room. "The most surreal moment in my life occurred when I was conveying with passion through a translator to the 'Sonic' team in Japan why Sonic needed to wear pants. Looking back at it, I'm glad they didn't go for it. Sonic wouldn't really be Sonic with pants on."

and then again here:
"We experimented with different colors and surface features on the characters, such as fur or scales, and quickly Sonic Team came back with their discomfort of that. They were great guardrails for us to understand when we were deviating too far from the character. Without their input, the character would have been a lot more alien and different from what Sonic is known for." Discomfort may be putting things mildly, particularly in the case of Takashi Iizuka, the current head of Sega's Sonic Team in Japan. As Rafei recalled, "Early on, when we had our first review of all the crazy things we wanted to try, Iizuka-san came down to Los Angeles and looked through all the different concepts."

"I felt sorry for the guy because sometimes he couldn't actually look at the screen--it was too traumatic seeing all the crazy stuff we wanted to do. Over the course of that meeting, when we were coming up with new ideas, we had a very sincere--just two adults talking--conversation about why a character should or should not wear pants, and that was a very surreal moment in my life and my career," Rafei continued. "But it helped us understand the rules of clothing in this universe. Any small adjustment went a very long way, so we had to be very careful."

When even Iizuka is making pained faces, you know you done fucked.

Wow. Iizuka was probably thinking "for fuck's sake, I only just figured this shit out myself".

There was a fair amount of staff turmoil on this project, but I don't think moreso than the usual project.

The single decision that put this game on this path was going with CryEngine. It's just not ready for a third person platformer, so they were fighting against the engine the entire time.

And the game went Gold in July, which is why people started leaving around then. Many of them layoffs.

CryEngine of all things being the engine used really stinks. No-one uses CryEngine. They should really have just used Unreal... or asked Sonic Team to share the Hedgehog Engine, or something.

jackal27

Banned
Man, this is painful to read... I never thought I'd say it, but poor Sonic Team... Seeing your character messed with like that would be so sad. What on earth was Sega thinking?

Brizzo24

The link is broken!

Besides, I don't even understand what the topic is in this thread. Can someone explain? So Big Read is the developer, but what about exodus? From what I gather the dev team went through a bunch of staff changes during development.

Really? This is SEGA, they clearly don't give a shit about the quality of anything attached to their name or IPs.

Uhh... not really?
Not only has Sega started to make actually generally decent Sonic games lately (after Unleashed, which was already arguably okay), but most everything else they've been churning out was mostly solid.
You just don't hear much about Sega's other stuff unless it's a turd like Alien Colonial Marines because then they're in the headlines.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The link is broken!

Besides, I don't even understand what the topic is in this thread. Can someone explain? So Big Read is the developer, but what about exodus? From what I gather the dev team went through a bunch of staff changes during development.
An exodus is a mass departure of people, which is what was happening at Big Red while the game was being developed.

Uhh... not really?
Not only has Sega started to make actually generally decent Sonic games lately (after Unleashed, which was already arguably okay), but most everything else they've been churning out was mostly solid.
You just don't hear much about Sega's other stuff unless it's a turd like Alien Colonial Marines because then they're in the headlines.

They even had that one time where they were actively trying to drag Sonic games with low-ish Metacritic scores off of digital platforms. Which is funny, because at the time that constituted pretty much all of their modern Sonic games.

SEGA probably do give a fuck. I imagine people are running around SEGA right now like headless chickens.

Garraboa

Meaning they might get out with one of the worst gaming catalogues in the industry? Even worse than Nihilistic/nStigate? Damn.

They even had that one time where they were actively trying to drag Sonic games with low-ish Metacritic scores off of digital platforms. Which is funny, because at the time that constituted pretty much all of their modern Sonic games.

SEGA probably do give a fuck. I imagine people are running around SEGA right now like headless chickens.

Since this seems like a SEGA America initiative I guess they must be worried as fuck.

L Thammy

Link is broken. I would assume that Big Red Button would be under the supervision of Sega as well as whoever makes the cartoon. If so, the poor reception of the character designs and writing could have been disheartening, and led to people leaving the project. Worse if there were actual Sonic fans working there.

Might be Sega employees losing their heads. They dropped their low rated games because they finally found a formula that worked, if I recall, so you'd assume they'd stay the course.

Chariot

The website in the OP isn't working anymore.
Not Found

The requested URL /2014/11/15/reports-suggest-brb-exodus-ahead-of-sonic-boom-launch/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Is there an alternative?

MormaPope

Banned
People question how Sega can allow this to happen, but they're the ones that released Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog, not too far from each other either. Sega is willing to let the Sonic IP get muddled up now and again.

But I don't think they knew what was going in with this game and how it would end up. Cancelling it mid development wasn't a option, delaying what would already be haphazard game wouldn't make sense. Sega was put in a lose lose situation regarding how this game would end up.

impact

Banned
Uhh... not really?

Dude, the last Sonic released was the atrocious Lost Worlds. Come on :lol

Hinchy

Dude, the last Sonic released was the atrocious Lost Worlds. Come on :lol

I wouldn't call Lost World atrocious. It's at least technically competent and occasionally interesting. Sonic Boom makes it look like solid gold GOTY material by comparison.

L Thammy

Bob Rafei from this interview:

Before he talks about the pants thing, he talks about meeting with the TV crew. He doesn't say how they influence each other, he just goes straight on to the pants from there. Is there any interview that clarifies the role of the companies in this shared aspects of the Boom franchise?

The website in the OP isn't working anymore.
Is there an alternative?
A lot of it was embedding tweets but basically some people looked at linkedin profiles of the people involved and those listed the departure time (in sense your resume says Big Red Button 20xx-2014)

Squishy3

Uhh... not really?
The problem is Colors and Generations aren't actually that great, they just aren't complete garbage compared to 06, Sonic 4, etc. They're not bad games, but they still aren't amazing.

Hexa

The problem is Colors and Generations aren't actually that great, they just aren't complete garbage compared to 06, Sonic 4, etc. They're not bad games, but they still aren't amazing.

I would disagree. Colors and Generations were genuinely great games. Obviously not Super Mario Galaxy amazing, but still easily some of the best platforms to be released last generation (which I guess isn't saying much but still).
I would put Sonic Unleashed and Lost World in the, not bad games but not good category.
And it looks like Boom goes with Sonic 06, Secret Rings, and Black Knight into the garbage pile.

Salex_

so was former Naughty Dog employee's making thins game? if so I wonder if they left too.

One of the co-founders who worked on the gameplay side of Crash Bandicoot/Jak & Daxter left the company to join Blizzard. The 2 remaining members worked on art/animation.

ZeroGravity

Nah, Generations is legit great game. They finally got the formula right they started with Unleashed and Colors...only to abandon it for Lost World and this.

CryEngine of all things being the engine used really stinks. No-one uses CryEngine. They should really have just used Unreal... or asked Sonic Team to share the Hedgehog Engine, or something.

For the information of people who don't already know that, Hedgehog Engine isn't a game engine. Actually it is hard to say from the outside whether Sonic Team actually uses what typical Western developer would refer to as a game engine.

Anth0ny

Generations is actually good.

One of the best looking games of last gen, too. Amazing art direction.

Top Bottom