• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BigScreen Beyond Impressions are coming in ($999 near glasses sized VR Headset.)

The very slim profile of the BigScreen VR and it's high quality MicroOLED displays allows for near unprecedented portability for current VR. It seems that Big Screen is going in the right direction here with this VR headset.

The one guy in the video being able to drink a glass of liquid drink is also something that is pretty difficult to do with most headsets.

With that being said there are a few issue with the headset you may need to consider, such a $999 just for the headset so you don't get controllers as you have to buy that separately along with other things. It's audio is mixed reception from people and not too good but decent, it's tethered(wired) only, and, a few cut sacrifices with the image quality, and none of it's own software though you will be able to use SteamVR and other PC related VR stuff since you need to tether the headset to one to work in the first place.

That's some panic PR right there.

Pointless to showcase someone drinking with this on if you can't walk around. It's the only reason why this headset is small.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This size at $199 is what VR needs to become a viable mainstream product.
why specifically 199, thats unattainable for a while
if the steam deck can cost 400 and be a (relative...) success then i think VR can get higher. these are just gaming devices afterall, not major necessities like smartphones- AR will take that place, methinks

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
btw that 4th tweet really gets me, if VR causes headaches in its normal size then a smaller headset like the Beyond is perfect for mass consumption. the smaller size really irons out all the kinks that might come with being as big as a vr headset

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Big improvement to form factor compared to other ones (Shiftall is slim too).

The drinking part is dumb. He already knows where it is. Thats why the video starts with him already with the glass. Not saying its hard to know or palm a glass blindfolded when you have an idea where the glass is literally 1 ft away straight in front of you, but unless you are actually holding or palming it, you're going to be slow grabbing a cup or bottle if blind. And if your drink isn't in front of you (let's say it's on a side table or flat part of an ottoman as you lean back on your couch, you arent going to blindly grab for it. You'll take your goggles off a bit to see it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Now THIS is something I see myself using every day for gaming. Now bring the price down and VR might actually break it to mainstream.

MarkMe2525

why specifically 199, thats unattainable for a while
if the steam deck can cost 400 and be a (relative...) success then i think VR can get higher. these are just gaming devices afterall, not major necessities like smartphones- AR will take that place, methinks
The $199 price point specifically is not important. The idea is that headsets like the one covered here, will never go anywhere at the price point it's currently at, it must be drastically reduced before people in the largest demographics will consider a purchase. I also agree it's unattainable. This is what leads me to believe that that mainstream adoption will allude VR platforms in their current state.

The reason valve can look at steam deck as a success, is because success is relative. There will be VR platforms that will be successful in relation to their investment and expectations. You don't have to be mainstream to be successful and that is not my argument. I just don't see a path forward where VR will become mainstream until the factors I mentioned earlier are met.

Edit: I want to also raise the point that I have always been keenly aware and interested in VR. I followed the original Carmac prototypes, I owned original Samsung VR, Google cardboard headset, PSVR, and original Quest. I am comfortable in my knowledge of the platform with it's strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Omali

My belief is that VR will go more mainstream once it is relatively affordable and more importantly glasses size. People will pay $800+ for the latest phone, these glasses get down into the $500-600 range and more people will jump on board.

My belief is that VR will go more mainstream once it is relatively affordable and more importantly glasses size. People will pay $800+ for the latest phone, these glasses get down into the $500-600 range and more people will jump on board.

People generally don't pay for $800 phones.

Most finance their phones. There's also less utility with a $600 VR than a $600 phone.

People stopped buying Quest 2 after the $100 price increase. People won't go higher than $400 for Virtual Reality.

Top Bottom