• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Maher apologizes for N-word. HBO/Sasse also comment

Foffy has done a good job in this thread parsing down Mahers points. His points aren't based on stereotypes or demonization, but basically that there is a very open and loud interpretation of Islam seen in countries and radical groups that emphasize a culture of lack of equality of men and women amongst other things. He voices that liberals by nature should be against this, but aren't because they are sensitive to respecting other cultures. He thinks there should be a global revolution against this interpretation, but he doesn't think there is, citing polls of Muslim opinion as evidence

Since his Schtick is extreme anti religion, he cares not for being sensitive for peaceful muslims and their lives because he thinks it's all horseshit in the end. Moreover he wants more people vocally oppose the problematic interpretation that not only fuels radicalization, but human rights issues currently practiced in some Muslim nations

Here's the thing, it ignores everything about America's foreign policy, White Christian terrorism, and it's systematic racism. It's White arrogance in a country built off of hypocrisy acting as if it's got the moral high ground. Black folks see right through that shit.

Originally Posted by Vixdean
How old are you? Killin' Them Softly aired in 2000, where Chappelle joked about Pepe Le Pew being a rapist.

omg

"Last edited by Vixdean; Today at 10:33 AM. Reason: you know what, gonna just drop it, clearly getting off topic, enjoy your witch hunt folks!"

omg

Enzom21

Vixdean, you should really make that thread on black privilege.
It would be a good place for you to vent your anger toward black people and then maybe that anger spring up in the form of nonsensical posts that are completely off topic.

Future

Here's the thing, it ignores everything about America's foreign policy, White Christian terrorism, and it's systematic racism. It's White arrogance in a country built off of hypocrisy acting as if it's got the moral high ground. Black folks see right through that shit.

So the issue is that he isn't talking enough about white terrorism to warrant discussion about Islamic terrorism? I'm not even sure I understand that point of view, but regardless I've seen enough of his shows to know he comments on that shit too. But it won't get nearly as much visibility as his Muslim stuff

Nepenthe

This.

You're not going to get minority progressives on board with your broad denouncement of Islam that takes down progressive Muslims and Arabic peoples with it (I thought we weren't supposed to alienate our allies) when you're ignoring the socioeconomic and political reasons for why things are a shitstorm, many of which we as a country built on white supremacy and empty moral superiority keep actively causing.

EDIT: What Tim Wise says about the reaction between white people and people of color in regards to 9/11 is pertinent.

Foffy

Banned
Foffy has done a good job in this thread parsing down Mahers points. His points aren't based on stereotypes or demonization, but basically that there is a very open and loud interpretation of Islam seen in countries and radical groups that emphasize a culture of lack of equality of men and women amongst other things. He voices that liberals by nature should be against this, but aren't because they are sensitive to respecting other cultures. He thinks there should be a global revolution against this interpretation, but he doesn't think there is, citing polls of Muslim opinion as evidence

Since his Schtick is extreme anti religion, he cares not for being sensitive for peaceful muslims and their lives because he thinks it's all horseshit in the end. Moreover he wants more people vocally oppose the problematic interpretation that not only fuels radicalization, but human rights issues currently practiced in some Muslim nations

To lightskintwin's point, I actually understand a bit of what he means because Sam Harris was actually criticized by Neil deGrasse Tyson on Sam's own podcast regarding engaging the public on challenging ideas, which overlaps a good deal with what lightskintwin is talking about.

Not only are the issues alluded to in the way lightskintwin made quite clear, people like Sam fall into the problem of speaking like in academia to the public. You're taking complicated, complex topics that might take as long as Bill Maher's entire 50-something minute show to even shape clearly, so if people come in and only hear the summation points about the problems within Islam, it might be seen as an attack of Muslims first and a criticism to ideas second. This is how despite Bill and Sam actually having nuance to their points, they are seen to be part of the hate brigade. How often do topics last on Bill's show? At most, 15-20 minutes. That's not enough to really get into the problems of religious policing and harming people who even question faith, and how these same cultures see issues only in the dissent, much like we've seen here with Black Lives Matter or the rise of "Late Stage Capitalism" rhetoric appearing more profoundly post-Occupy Wall Street. To stay on topic here, where does the issue that our War on Terror fuels people who want vengeance and fall right into the hands of their local rebel rousers who want to destroy America? I know Bill knows of Noam Chomsky, but he seldom takes a moment on his own show to mention how we curate a great deal of the problem ourselves, which is something Chomsky almost always emphasizes.

As an aside, being anti-religious doesn't give one a good enough of an excuse to be flippant to theology. I think the main three monotheistic religions are actually toxic and dangerous, but I don't shoot from the hip as people really believe in it. I go out of my way to highlight the paradoxical problems of dualism itself that make the beliefs a problem, for it's in their assertions and reaching for "unity" that create the division in the world around them. That's much better than "religion is dumb so fuck it." This helps nobody who can't see through the religious mirages, and we unfortunately have too many examples where those mirages become weapons to strike others with. This is really a problem of mind first, and belief second. Calling it dumb nonsense assumes people can drop thoughts, and that too depends upon elusive dualistic concepts like free will.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Drunk driving and premeditated murder are universal. Anyone can be victims of these things, can the same be said about nigger?
You may have worried about a drunk driver or someone murdering you but have you ever worried about being called a nigger or any of the negativity associated with word?

You making distinctions between the types of white people using it is kind of irrelevant.

I'm not Jewish either, does that mean can't have a valid opinion on the morality of the holcaust since antisemitism isn't of universal concern? That is silly dude.

L Thammy

Someone brought him up, but my overarching point is that this entire "controversy" comes down to people's preconceived opinion of Maher. If you already thought he was a bigot, this was just confirmation. If you didn't, then it was at worst a really shitty joke. His skin color or relative wealth are secondary considerations for most of the people chiming in.

Kind of tangential, but I think that the moment someone puts quotation marks around controversy they should no longer be taken seriously.

Controversy literally just means disagreement, particularly ones that are long, headed, and public. When you put quotation marks around the word, you're suggesting that the disagreement isn't really there. When you're engaging in a long, heated argument in a publicly accessible message board you are now part of the controversy that you're suggesting isn't real. I don't know what your motivations are, but you're trying to win the argument by delegitimizing it.

It's ridiculous. At that point, you may as well be screaming "fake news" at Russian hookers while they're pissing in your hotel room,

So the issue is that he isn't talking enough about white terrorism to warrant discussion about Islamic terrorism? I'm not even sure I understand that point of view, but regardless I've seen enough of his shows to know he comments on that shit too. But it won't get nearly as much visibility as his Muslim stuff

https://youtu.be/MB-itn_LJuM?t=443

As Glenn Greenwald, put it

You (White people) get to ignore the responsibility your own government has for the violence and instability in the world by saying, look it's that primitive religion over there that's to blame.

Future

To lightskintwin's point, I actually understand a bit of what he means because Sam Harris was actually criticized by Neil deGrasse Tyson on Sam's own podcast regarding engaging the public on challenging ideas, which overlaps a good deal with what lightskintwin is talking about.

Not only are the issues alluded to in the way lightskintwin made quite clear, people like Sam fall into the problem of speaking like in academia to the public. You're taking complicated, complex topics that might take as long as Bill Maher's entire 50-something minute show to even shape clearly, so if people come in and only hear the summation points about the problems within Islam, it might be seen as an attack of Muslims first and a criticism to ideas second. This is how despite Bill and Sam actually having nuance to their points, they are seen to be part of the hate brigade. How often do topics last on Bill's show? At most, 15-20 minutes. That's not enough to really get into the problems of religious policing and harming people who even question faith, and how these same cultures see issues only in the dissent, much like we've seen here with Black Lives Matter or the rise of "Late Stage Capitalism" rhetoric appearing more profoundly post-Occupy Wall Street. To stay on topic here, where does the issue that our War on Terror fuels people who want vengeance and fall right into the hands of their local rebel rousers who want to destroy America? I know Bill knows of Noam Chomsky, but he seldom takes a moment on his own show to mention how we curate a great deal of the problem ourselves, which is something Chomsky almost always emphasizes.

As an aside, being anti-religious doesn't give one a good enough of an excuse to be flippant to theology. I think the main three monotheistic religions are actually toxic and dangerous, but I don't shoot from the hip as people really believe in it. I go out of my way to highlight the paradoxical problems of dualism itself that make the beliefs a problem, for it's in their assertions and reaching for "unity" that create the division in the world around them. That's much better than "religion is dumb so fuck it." This helps nobody who can't see through the religious mirages, and we unfortunately have too many examples where those mirages become weapons to strike others with. This is really a problem of mind first, and belief second. Calling it dumb nonsense assumes people can drop thoughts, and that too depends upon elusive dualistic concepts like free will.

Mahers religious approach probably isn't an example for a true humanitarian. It's just how he rolls and you either take it or leave it. In regards to Islam he over accentuates the topic since he thinks the world understates it in the guise of being respectful.

I think in that topic bill has always done a good job explaining his position. People don't need to agree because opinions are opinions. I do think people jump on him a little quick the moment he suggests there could be issues with the way Islam can be interpreted

I like Bill sometimes but the mofo knew he fucked up. He looked at the crowd immediately and was like eyyy c'mon fam I'm just playin

Mahers religious approach probably isn't an example for a true humanitarian. It's just how he rolls and you either take it or leave it. In regards to Islam he over accentuates the topic since he thinks the world understates it in the guise of being respectful.

I think in that topic bill has always done a good job explaining his position. People don't need to agree because opinions are opinions. I do think people jump on him a little quick the moment he suggests there could be issues with the way Islam can be interpreted

I agree with this 100%. He has a problem with the idea that any Islamic sect not blowing things up is considered moderate by many liberals. He has a problem with the misogyny, homophobia, and discrimination against non-Muslims.

You don't have to agree, but he does a good job of backing his positions if you do more than just react to 90 second clips.

I completely agree. As a muslim myself, there's so many parts of the religion that can be interpreted in backwards, hypocritical ways that have no business being part of the modern world. The countries that enforce have these interpretations should be openly criticized for it. The people should be criticized for it. I criticize my own family all the time and they're finally starting to come around. I have no problem with Maher criticizing Islam, someone has to. I kind of respect him honestly because it can sadly be dangerous criticizing Islam on live television with all the muslim in name only/ISIS nut jobs running around who are too sensitive to hear the issues.

but his predominant opinion is that moderates don't exist and don't speak out against extremism. it is an opinion that legitimizes extremists as the mouthpieces at the cost of moderates (who are sometimes sitting right across from him and ignored entirely during these frequent rants), since it confirms Maher's bias.

opinions may be opinions but "the fundamental cultural inderpining of tens of millions of people worldwide is at its root a rotten and evil thing" is not an opinion so much as an incitement towards xenophobia, bigotry, ignorance, militarism, etc. it's exactly the same fearmongering that the far right traffics in.

but his predominant opinion is that moderates don't exist and don't speak out against extremism. it is an opinion that legitimizes extremists as the mouthpieces, since it confirms Maher's bias.

opinions may be opinions but "the fundamental cultural inderpining of tens of millions of people worldwide is at its root a rotten and evil thing" is not an opinion so much as an incitement towards xenophobia, bigotry, ignorance, militarism, etc. it's exactly the same fearmongering that the far right traffics in. it is easy to see why people can think the left and right are the same when they share this bigotry.
*applause*

White dude says the N-Word on national TV and he gets to keep his job?

tenor.gif
I would wager the ratio of people getting fired/not fired in this case falls far more under the fired route. Really don't know why you make it seem like no one ever gets fired for using that word.

Lokimaru

Afican slave Trade, Jim Crow, Mass Incarcerations, Ect. I see the word antisemitism bandied about but never Anti-Negroism. Why does skin color matter so much? We're all the same inside. Hell man Africa is Hot, dark skin handles heat better. Hell I went Thailand and it tripped me out that the kid driving the boat was the same color as I me.

Future

but his predominant opinion is that moderates don't exist and don't speak out against extremism. it is an opinion that legitimizes extremists as the mouthpieces at the cost of moderates (who are sometimes sitting right across from him and ignored entirely during these frequent rants), since it confirms Maher's bias.

opinions may be opinions but "the fundamental cultural inderpining of tens of millions of people worldwide is at its root a rotten and evil thing" is not an opinion so much as an incitement towards xenophobia, bigotry, ignorance, militarism, etc. it's exactly the same fearmongering that the far right traffics in.

I feel like now we are just having the forum version of the Ben Affleck / Sam Harris debate here:

https://youtu.be/vln9D81eO60

Bill often jokes there are zero moderates, but what he means is that due to the violence and risk of being a moderate, they are hard to find and do not get much visibility. Bill and Harris state that the fundamental core of islam is home to many issues: violence, human rights issues that dominate the discussion. They claim they WANT the moderates to speak up and speak out and gain a stronger part of the conversation. Christianity speaks of violence as well, but there is no evidence that the majority of current Christians believe in that interpretation. Islamic polls can suggest otherwise

Now like Ben in that clip, fundamentally that feels at odds with liberal views of not painting broad generalizations and grouping an entire group of people with the actions of a few. Bills point to that is basically that polls suggest a large percentage of currently practicing Muslims actually do believe in the funadamental views that drive either violence or human rights issues

I'm not saying he's right on all of this. Opinions. But I feel its disingenuous to suggest this is equivalent to right wing fear mongering

I gotta ask out of genuine ignorance, what makes a good apology?

I have yet to see an official statement like this where people agreed that the guy learned his lesson and actually felt remorse.

Foffy

Banned

I don't think some of the folks in here are jumping to the "Bill is on the hate brigade" as they're emphasizing the nuance, especially of American foreign policy. While Bill absolutely admits this is a thing, he never states this in the show unless someone else brings it up. He's done the same thing with Trump, in fact: the only time Trump was ever acknowledged as a systemic result of our culture, our policies, or our ideals was when Cornell West said he was the "dark side of America" come to life and the issues of our neoliberal society being the ground he grew from. Bill leaves a lot off of the table, and likely does so for time, but that should still warrant criticism because what he leaves off that you and I know and grasp, a The_Donald user is filling in with "America is innocent and being plagued by an outside threat," which of course fails to acknowledge the transactional activities that link us and the problems of radical Islam together.

I get what you and Bill are talking about, but the issue is very much in the middle, where it's a mixture of that as well as a mixture of what lightskintwin, Glenn Greenwald, and Noam Chomsky allude to as well, which if we are to be perfectly honest, is often not in that conversation on Bill's show too much. And as I just said, that becomes a problem because not everyone is able to fill in what's not talked about genuinely. For people who get America has played a role in this, that's great. But let's be real here: much of the anti-Muslim hate brigade thinks it's entirely isolated and that the solution is '"only if we ban the 13th century dwellers away from our borders." This is where people like Bill and Sam fall right into support from the right of America, and being associated with them at all should raise alarm. They're on board because what they're filling in feeds their narrative, which when examined exclude what we've done. They should have figured out by this point why they have to constantly take down rebuttals, for not every retort is clearly one to smear. Maybe that's the case between Glenn and Sam, but Sam gets shade from other people, and they're not all pseudo-internet rivalries.

Bill deserves some shit because like Sam, he is just leaving himself open to be misconstrued, because the gaps he leaves are being filled with differing views. That can simply be addressed by admitting we as a nation are associated with this problem and not a victim in this. How many of a new generation of terrorists have we created by double tapping civilian locations? It's not just the evil ISIS fighting us, as we're also creating an enemy. When was the last time this was stated on Bill's show? Why is it every time this topic comes up on his show, he, Sam, or anybody talking about this issue are given the card they are on the internet hours later? Sure, some of it is that whole "criticism seen as combat," but a lot of it is also a lack of information to clearly show it's not just a problem of ideas, or even of mind, but of policy as well. They are seen attacking people, for they don't attack the double taps, or the drone strikes clearly enough to associate social systems as fuel for the problem. Just look at the recent happenings of European terrorism: I can't find another way to put it, but where is the conversation of Islamic segregation and isolationism given to these people within Europe? Much like a gang, they're likely to bond on like-mindedness, and if this is the only "home" they get, that just increases the likelihood of normalizing oneself around very violent people. All because they are seen and treated as isolated problems that would be best left out of sight and mind. We find sympathy for those leaving Syria via tyrannical collapse, but what about those leaving their own homes because we've bombed the shit out of them? We get mad at the idea of them wanting refuge.

I come to defend Bill and Sam on this issue because I know where they're coming from, but both do a very poor job at covering clear holes in arguments by leaving out information, which again, is likely because of time constraints and focusing on a few, clear points. But what both fail to bring up often enough is precisely the reason they get incorrectly labeled. Their lack of acknowledging the extensionality of the problem we create in relation to the problem itself is precisely why they're seen as finger wagging haters of an entire theology, even if people like Bill and Sam are actually friends with believers of Islam. You would have assumed these grown-ass men would have seen the mistakes they're clearly making, and why anytime Islam comes up, it's fucking Groundhog Day when it comes to criticism.

A conversation on radical Islam in the west is also a conversation on what the west has done to Muslim nations. On Bill's show, the latter only typically occurs if a guest brings it up. Any time it isn't is enough time for people to fuel the idea of a war with Muslims, which includes the dangerous ones, the reformers, and the pick-and-choosers of the theology. This is how you get a sub-culture in America that simply see the belief in Islam as an existential threat and engage in hostile acts to anybody believing in it. Just look at the paradox of a culture getting mass shootings practically every other day talking about the pure fucking spook of radical Islam causing violent deaths in the most violent first-world nation on the planet.

I have yet to see an official statement like this where people agreed that the guy learned his lesson and actually felt remorse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U39eBpEdAKQ

Not that I think Bill Maher needed to do it, but that was such a good apology; nobody questioned his sincerity.

I don't think some of the folks in here are jumping to the "Bill is on the hate brigade" as they're emphasizing the nuance, especially of American foreign policy. While Bill absolutely admits this is a thing, he never states this in the show unless someone else brings it up. He's done the same thing with Trump, in fact: the only time Trump was ever acknowledged as a systemic result of our culture, our policies, or our ideals was when Cornell West said he was the "dark side of America" come to life and the issues of our neoliberal society being the ground he grew from. Bill leaves a lot off of the table, and likely does so for time, but that should still warrant criticism because what he leaves off that you and I know and grasp, a The_Donald user is filling in with "America is innocent and being plagued by an outside threat," which of course fails to acknowledge the transactional activities that link us and the problems of radical Islam together.

I get what you and Bill are talking about, but the issue is very much in the middle, where it's a mixture of that as well as a mixture of what lightskintwin, Glenn Greenwald, and Noam Chomsky allude to as well, which if we are to be perfectly honest, is often not in that conversation on Bill's show too much. And as I just said, that becomes a problem because not everyone is able to fill in what's not talked about genuinely. For people who get America has played a role in this, that's great. But let's be real here: much of the anti-Muslim hate brigade thinks it's entirely isolated and that the solution is '"only if we ban the 13th century dwellers away from our borders." This is where people like Bill and Sam fall right into support from the right of America, and being associated with them at all should raise alarm. They're on board because what they're filling in feeds their narrative, which when examined exclude what we've done. They should have figured out by this point why they have to constantly take down rebuttals, for not every retort is clearly one to smear. Maybe that's the case between Glenn and Sam, but Sam gets shade from other people, and they're not all pseudo-internet rivalries.

Bill deserves some shit because like Sam, he is just leaving himself open to be misconstrued, because the gaps he leaves are being filled with differing views. That can simply be addressed by admitting we as a nation are associated with this problem and not a victim in this. How many of a new generation of terrorists have we created by double tapping civilian locations? It's not just the evil ISIS fighting us, as we're also creating an enemy. When was the last time this was stated on Bill's show? Why is it every time this topic comes up on his show, he, Sam, or anybody talking about this issue are given the card they are on the internet hours later? Sure, some of it is that whole "criticism seen as combat," but a lot of it is also a lack of information to clearly show it's not just a problem of ideas, or even of mind, but of policy as well. They are seen attacking people, for they don't attack the double taps, or the drone strikes clearly enough to associate social systems as fuel for the problem. Just look at the recent happenings of European terrorism: I can't find another way to put it, but where is the conversation of Islamic segregation and isolationism given to these people within Europe? Much like a gang, they're likely to bond on like-mindedness, and if this is the only "home" they get, that just increases the likelihood of normalizing oneself around very violent people. All because they are seen and treated as isolated problems that would be best left out of sight and mind. We find sympathy for those leaving Syria via tyrannical collapse, but what about those leaving their own homes because we've bombed the shit out of them? We get mad at the idea of them wanting refuge.

I come to defend Bill and Sam on this issue because I know where they're coming from, but both do a very poor job at covering clear holes in arguments by leaving out information, which again, is likely because of time constraints and focusing on a few, clear points. But what both fail to bring up often enough is precisely the reason they get incorrectly labeled. Their lack of acknowledging the extensionality of the problem we create in relation to the problem itself is precisely why they're seen as finger wagging haters of an entire theology, even if people like Bill and Sam are actually friends with believers of Islam. You would have assumed these grown-ass men would have seen the mistakes they're clearly making, and why anytime Islam comes up, it's fucking Groundhog Day when it comes to criticism.

A conversation on radical Islam in the west is also a conversation on what the west has done to Muslim nations. On Bill's show, the latter only typically occurs if a guest brings it up. Any time it isn't is enough time for people to fuel the idea of a war with Muslims, which includes the dangerous ones, the reformers, and the pick-and-choosers of the theology. This is how you get a sub-culture in America that simply see the belief in Islam as an existential threat and engage in hostile acts to anybody believing in it. Just look at the paradox of a culture getting mass shootings practically every other day talking about the pure fucking spook of radical Islam causing violent deaths in the most violent first-world nation on the planet.

Talk to 'em.

The Adder

Banned

For one, doing it on the platform in which you did the thing you're apologizing for. Not making a statement then sweeping it under the rug. Maybe he does right on Friday, we'll see. But judging from the way it's being handled, I doubt it.

Secondly, not offering any excuses, explanations, or justifications.

I'm no expert, but a few things that I think makes a good apology.

1. An apology should be louder and more visible than the infraction.

2. An apology should be unequivocal and unconditional.

3. An apology should demonstrate an understanding of what you are apologizing for and why the apology is necessary.

4. It doesn't hurt to repeat it a few times.

I don't know enough maher to know if that's true. But don't libertarians want free market healthcare. Bill is all about the single payer

Bill Maher stands for:

-Carbon Taxes
-Single Payer Healthcare
-Higher taxes on the rich
-Expanding social safety nets
-Using the government to further regulate food and drugs

These are very anti-libertarian.

Yes he cares about pot.

fantomena

Bill Maher stands for:

-Carbon Taxes
-Single Payer Healthcare
-Higher taxes on the rich
-Expanding social safety nets
-Using the government to further regulate food and drugs

These are very anti-libertarian.

Yes he cares about pot.

Just to add:

- police reform
- Marijuana decriminalization
- Supports BLM
- Combating climate change is very important for him
- Going after the banks
- Pro LBGT
- Pro choice
- Pro womens rights
- Tax churches

What I don't like about him is his skeptics to vaccines, he is not anti-vaxx, but skeptical to them last time I checked, which is terrible. He is anti-GMO however, which is also terrible.

I don't agree with all his stances on religion, but his basis is that all religions are dumb and intolerant.

He's said, like Ive previously said, wishes the Democrats were a socialist party (the dems have gone too far right) and wants america to become a european social democratic country, such as the nordic countries.

benjipwns

Banned
People think he's leftist or liberal when in fact Maher is not of the left.

"He's a pot-smoking, right-libertarian who backs Dems bc he hates social cons."

DBZd94TWsAAGb_B.jpg

I don't know enough maher to know if that's true. But don't libertarians want free market healthcare. Bill is all about the single payer

Did he just compliment Barry Goldwater?

Yeah, that whole statement is something else. Wow.

It's hard to say if he feels the same way these days, considering his advocacy for universal healthcare, and defending other policies that would give an actual libertarian a coronary.
That was from 1999: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/checking-in-with-bill-maher-in-1999-20110413

This was his opinion on libertarianism 14 years later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpxVEiuxF0Y

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
His show is like the Wild West for hbo. Little to no boundaries , for fuck sakes he and killer mike smoked a blunt on live TV.

What he did was wrong, but I hope HBO doesn't fire his ass.

I mean, maybe the way to contextualize that is that Bill Maher got this show because his previous show, which was already called "Politically Incorrect", got cancelled after he said the September 11th Hijackers were brave. So it's not like HBO didn't know what they were getting.

This was his opinion on libertarianism 14 years later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpxVEiuxF0Y

Bill Maher: Wrong on meat inspection, wrong on seatbelts. Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves!!!

benjipwns

Banned
His views on libertarianism really isn't the issue with that I feel. The fact that he's praising Barry Goldwater is probably the worse bit
The late Barry Goldwater (who died a year before that interview) was the exact kind of libertarian Maher would like, pro-choice, pro-gay rights/sex, anti-religious right, pro-medical marijuana, etc. he had even turned against his interventionist stances of his earlier career.

benjipwns

Banned
If anything I'd say Goldwater's caustic opinions on the religious right, Jerry Falwell, etc. in general would have earned him kudos from Maher even if he hadn't become more libertarian overall as he aged.
In the past couple years, I have seen many news items that referred to the Moral Majority, prolife and other religious groups as "the new right," and the "new conservatism." Well, I have spent quite a number of years carrying the flag of the old conservatism. And I can say with conviction that the religious issues of these groups have little or nothing to do with conservative or liberal politics.

The uncompromising position of these groups is a divisive element that could tear apart the very spirit of our representative system, if they gain sufficient strength.
I must make it clear that I don't condemn these groups for what they believe. I happen to share many of the values emphasized by these organizations.

I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?

And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism." ... This unrelenting obsession with a particular goal destroys the perspective of many decent people. They have become easy prey to manipulation and misjudgment.
When you say "radical right" today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party away from the Republican Party, and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye.
In response to Moral Majority founder Jerry Falwell's opposition to the nomination of Sandra Day O'Connor to the Supreme Court, of which Falwell had said, "Every good Christian should be concerned", Goldwater retorted: "Every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the nuts."
He said that "Everyone knows that gays have served honorably in the military since at least the time of Julius Caesar" and that "You don't need to be 'straight' to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight."
A few years before his death he addressed establishment Republicans by saying, "Do not associate my name with anything you do. You are extremists, and you've hurt the Republican party much more than the Democrats have."

The late Barry Goldwater (who died a year before that interview) was the exact kind of libertarian Maher would like, pro-choice, pro-gay rights/sex, anti-religious right, pro-medical marijuana, etc. he had even turned against his interventionist stances of his earlier career.

He was also a racist and is credited as the beginning of the new conservatism that eventually lead to Nixon, Reagan and where we are now, as a starch opponent to New Deal politics. Might have had some good views, but I don't see him as anyone to hold up in any form, especially since most of his better traits are more present on the left now.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm trying to understand something.

Under the context with which Maher said that, (almost as if he thought he was black himself for a moment), how different is this from the stereotypes Daniel Tosh makes light of on Tosh.0?

I have a business idea. If you're a rich white person, you can pay a small monthly fee to have someone call you every day at a time of your choosing to remind you not to say the word nigger.

I will offer a higher tiered package where a person of an ethnicity of your choosing, will actually greet you every day as you leave the house for work and remind you not to say it.

I have a business idea. If you're a rich white person, you can pay a small monthly fee to have someone call you every day at a time of your choosing to remind you not to say the word nigger.

I will offer a higher tiered package where a person of an ethnicity of your choosing, will actually greet you every day as you leave the house for work and remind you not to say it.

Sounds like a Chappelle Show sketch.

benjipwns

Banned
He was also a racist and is credited as the beginning of the new conservatism that eventually lead to Nixon, Reagan and where we are now, as a starch opponent to New Deal politics. Might have had some good views, but I don't see him as anyone to hold up in any form, especially since most of his better traits are more present on the left now.
Except he and Nixon agreed on very little, with Nixon being only a tactical ally in blocking Rockefeller...meanwhile Nixon was an actual racist and bigot against all kinds of ethinicities and types who openly fanned the flames of racial fears for personal benefit many times in his career and not just someone who opportunistically if stupidly voted against a single civil rights bill while voting for every other one to come before him, helping to found his local chapter of the NAACP and pushing for desegregating the city of Phoenix in the 1950s.

And again, Maher was talking about him in 1999. In comparison to the still living Republicans who were at that moment impeaching Bill Clinton.

I personally think Maher's apology was sufficient (but still think he's an idiot for the Milo thing) but it's not really for me to say.

Donating money to the cause you offended usually works though. It shows that you're committed to right the wrongs.

IrishNinja

it's not that hard, maher's been garbage for a while now

This might seem trite, but society reminds me almost every day of that scene in Spider-Man when the goblin has spidey all roofied up on that rooftop (no pun intended) and he that, on the inside, what people really want is to see their heroes fail so that they can have someone to hate and feel better about themselves.

this is a ridiculous stretch to make; maher isn't/wasn't a hero of any sort. and if this apology is his "fall" that speaks a ton to his privilege.

also, i love killer mike but dude continually shows his ass whenever the PC boogeyman comes up

But Dyson, Sellers, and fucking Killer Mike?

Shame on them

wait, what did Dyson say? i'm a fan of dude

What about this solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G39AJrNlWw4

Top Bottom