• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billbil-Kun: PS Plus Essential for October 2023 leaked

Lunarorbit

Nice. I don't have either and I gotta assume protocol is all patched up. Weird that Glen Schofield just left and now his game is on ps plua

E4ba2LM.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And does the DLC tell the unfinished story?

No, weirdly enough the DLC also ends in something of a cliffhanger lol.

And considering the team has laid off a portion of the team, and the lead has also recently left, I won't hold my breath for a sequel any time soon.

Monokrom

I almost bought CP the other week ($10) but even at that price point I hesitated.
Gonna try it now I guess.

Kuranghi

I think I'll do a NG+ run of Callisto with my lady friend to speed through it like a movie. I fear it may be too much for her fear-wise though.

Robbinhood

Banned
Essential too, not even extra? best deal in gaming.

I started the free trial and almost bought it, this is amazing news. This is what I want from subs, great "shorter" AAA games, not 100 hour epics.

King Dazzar

I was just contemplating giving CP a go, so perfect timing. Even if the gameplay isnt great, should be good to see it from a technical perspective.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Held off on Callisto, the over-emphasis on melee made me wary and it sounds like a great game, but something didn’t seem right about it at launch so I forgot about it. I’ll definitely download and play through it, looks like a nice Halloween game 🎃

And does the DLC tell the unfinished story?

If so, then I stand by what I said.

Also, I'm not trying to badmouth the game, on the contrary, I just bought it recently and am looking forward to it, but it just fits Sony's current calculus of wanting to suck money out of gamers' pockets wherever possible.

I don't expect to get the game including DLC next month, although it would be possible without any problems.
This seems a pretty disingenious take. Sony has nothing to do with The Callisto Protocol. They didn't decide to release the ending as DLC. They neither developed nor published the game, and they get only 30 cents on the dollar anytime someone buys the DLC.

Monetarily speaking, it's Krafton that benefits from this PS+ release exponentially more than Sony does. They make money off the Plus release itself and get a huge new audience of potential DLC buyers--of which they get 70% of the money. The benefits to Krafton are significantly better than to Sony at every step of the way

There's also the fact that traditionally, DLCs do a tiny fraction of sales compared to a base game. You can see this by just viewing trophies and achievements. Compare the percentages of basic ones you get just for playing the story of a game vs. the ones you get solely for playing the story of a DLC.

I'll make this easier to grasp with Resident Evil 7 on PS4.

Trophy for beating the game on the easiest difficulty:

rfNGHt2.jpg

Trophy for beating the free DLC:
7760h2K.jpg

Trophy for beating the paid DLC:

I0N2iAG.jpg

Less than 1/3 of people who beat the game bothered to play a completely free DLC. And barely 10% bothered to buy and play through the paid story DLC. And this is for a popular game that has been out nearly seven years, not a niche title or one that only just dropped. DLC has a limited audience and has a drastically lower penetration rate.

Last edited:
Bought CP some time ago but ditched it after 2-3 hours. Not a bad game even if the gameplay is as plain as it gets (really feels like a ps360 era game), very impressive visually but I don't think it succeeds at being a horror game. Neither creepy, scary or eerie. Someday I will finish it.
Man... sure you want to abbreviate that title???

Cringe Wince GIF

trikster40

So glad I held off on buying Callisto due to my backlog. Now it can sit there for free! I'll get around to it after Spidey, then Talos Principle 2, then maybe Calliston

Don't why yall cheering for Callisto when it is an overhyped game that has a boring and extremely repetitive gameplay loop.

Glad more players will experience Callisto Protocol. I recommend players to play in Quality with Motion blur turned down. The game looks amazing.

Also, the dodge system explanation is garbage, however is very easy once you learn it. You can also use accessibility options to auto-dodge. (Basically, it doesn’t matter what direction the enemy is attacking, you only have to hold Left or hold Right and the character will dodge, however, enemies will do 1, 2 or 3 hit combos. Once you dodge, you HAVE to hold in the opposite direction to dodge the second attack. Then switch direction again for the third attack. There’s no timing to it, just hold Left, then Hold Right, repeat.)

The guns are mostly trash, the focus is melee. But the combat is sub-par. Enjoy it for the visual feast and the vibes. The story is mediocre. However it has the potential of becoming great with a sequel. You can almost see it. Hopefully it gets another chance under a new director. Some people praise Dead Space 2 as the best in the trilogy, so maybe Schofield leaving isn’t the worst thing.

Last edited:
I don't expect to get the game including DLC next month, although it would be possible without any problems.
The unnecasary lip service is to offer complete editions in Plus but it makes of course more sense (for them) not to. I assume having the DLC for Asuras Wrath (and other games) in PS+ streaming would be possible, but you can't even buy it. I guess you can, if you buy the game itself too and then download both. Just odd and not really how it should be, especially for anyone that does not own a PS3. PS4&5 at least allow purchases easily.

Top Bottom