• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain trailer and screens (Sega - Yakuza Team - PS360)

Adam J.

I'll wait till I see gameplay before I start hating on this. I'm actually kind of feeling the pea-green robots (they look like they'd be fun to shoot). Also, didn't this guy create Super Monkey Ball?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
sprsk said:
Need screenshot of black guy with bugged out eyes.

bugeyes.jpg

Raide

As soon as it started, I saw Cover Based Shooter. No thanks, we already have lots of those. Really sad to see Japan aiming at a Western Audience and all they see is Third Person Shooter.

Blablurn

i have to admit: i like the end of the trailer... we'll see. even though it looks uninspiered as f*** i may could end up as a good game.... dunno.. probably not.

Kyoufu

Generic character designs: Check
Lots of guns/explosives: Check
Comic relief black guy saying "fool" and "damn": Check

Day one bitches.

not really

Barakov

Gold Member
I was interested when I first heard about it but after seeing the trailer, I don't know what to think.

Jonnyram

You know, I'm pretty sure the first 90% of the trailer was designed to be generic, just so they could surprise you with the twist. I think it's gonna be fun. A cover-based shooter in Shibuya is a great start, but throw in a good sci-fi story and it should be brilliant.

But this is GAF. A Japanese dev trying to dabble in a western genre is always gonna start off on the wrong foot.

Jonnyram said:
You know, I'm pretty sure the first 90% of the trailer was designed to be generic, just so they could surprise you with the twist. I think it's gonna be fun. A cover-based shooter in Shibuya is a great start, but throw in a good sci-fi story and it should be brilliant.

But this is GAF. A Japanese dev trying to dabble in a western genre is always gonna start off on the wrong foot.

sure, they intentionally forced you to think the game sucks in its first appearance...

Raide

°°ToMmY°° said:
sure, they intentionally forced you to think the game sucks in its first appearance...

Reverse Psychology. Make people think its shit, then turn out to be awesome. Works every time!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jonnyram said:

Edit: am I wrong in thinking the game is actually set a long time after the generic dudes in the first part? It seemed like that to me. That mother is the generic pistol girl, right?
No, the second part is "rich Tokyo", while the three people at the beginning are in "poor Tokyo".

hamchan

Lyonaz said:
Well I for one will buy this just to support the Yakuza team!

Don't worry, Yakuza 4 is making it over here and probably Of The End too, we only need to buy those games.

Jay Sosa

TheChaos said:
What game started this whole "Mid-30s, black hair, generic everyman face" trend, anyways?

I wish this trend would swap over to the JRPG genre, rather have some Max Payne clone than another annyoing 12 to 16 year old brat.

And what's the fuzz about? This game looks exactly as generic as hundreds other titles this gen.

Geek said:

shaq.jpg

Jonnyram said:
You know, I'm pretty sure the first 90% of the trailer was designed to be generic, just so they could surprise you with the twist.

You... Are serious.

And since when is a third person shooter a Western genre? Japanese have made some of the best and/or most influential shooters in history. It's not the genre, it's the way they think they should approach it to be successful in the West - which is completely wrong most of the time.

Castor Krieg said:
Someone brainwashed Japanese devs into thinking "international" game = generic as shit, sneezefest. Makes you wonder if they even look at the games made in the West.
Well, for me all Gears of War trailers look exactly the same as this one. That is, generic snoozefest. So maybe they're onto something?

Jay Sosa said:
I wish this trend would swap over to the JRPG genre, rather have some Max Payne clone than another annyoing 12 to 16 year old brat.

And what's the fuzz about? This game looks exactly as generic as hundreds other titles this gen.
I agree with both points.

Aaron

LOVE & TRUTH said:
Well, for me all Gears of War trailers look exactly the same as this one. That is, generic snoozefest. So maybe they're onto something?
What kind of mad world are you living in?

So are people just hating on it because it's Japanese and it's cool to be negative about anything Japan developed these days, or is it just genuine apathy for Third Person Shooters of any kind?

Personally I think it looks interesting. Granted, the dialogue, banter and cover based shooting of the first half of the trailer are completely cliche/done to death at this point, but the latter half makes the story seem like it has at least some potential to be interesting. We haven't seen it in action yet so let's give it a chance. I'll be there day one I'm sure anyway :)

Jay Sosa

JustAnotherOtaku said:
So are people just hating on it because it's Japanese and it's cool to be negative about anything Japan developed these days, or is it just genuine apathy for Third Person Shooters of any kind?

Personally I think it looks interesting. Granted, the dialogue, banter and cover based shooting of the first half of the trailer are completely cliche/done to death at this point, but the latter half makes the story seem like it has at least some potential to be interesting. We haven't seen it in action yet so let's give it a chance. I'll be there day one I'm sure anyway :)

I'm not hating it but yeah I'm really fed up with cover based 3. person shooter, hell they even made GTA one.

My first post when the game was announced:

Finally we get a 3rd person shooter! I feared the genre was already dead.

Plus the trailer looks really bad, not only because of the horrible design (Sam Worthington on roids vs green terminators) standpoint but also technically.

C-Jo

I love the RGG series more than most and Nagoshi seems like he and his team are more than capable, but this looks like poop from a butt.

JustAnotherOtaku said:

It's genuine apathy for third person shooters (or any games, for that matter) of the bland kind.

Visuals are very generic (I would actually use the word ugly) aesthetically and below par technically. What little scripted action is shown doesn't bode well for gameplay and dialogue between characters is laughable. Meanwhile, the story is about what it means to be human in a world full of intelligent machines. Gee, I haven't heard that one before.

If there's anything I should be excited about after watching this trailer, I can't find it, but please do tell if you can.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Really like the story set up. Are humans going to be portrayed as the "bad guys"? I'm not even sure you are going to play as one of those guys (albeit you probably will).

Loved that boss design at the end.

hamchan

A Japanese third person shooter targeted towards Westerners in which you kill robots. Didn't we just have one of those?

Top Bottom