• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain trailer and screens (Sega - Yakuza Team - PS360)

Koralsky

Two exclusive screens from SEGA's the Facebook page

155656_10150099241266796_28248536795_7503379_5750_n.jpg

149234_10150099241281796_28248536795_7503380_2710951_n.jpg

TreIII

Jonnyram said:
You know, I'm pretty sure the first 90% of the trailer was designed to be generic, just so they could surprise you with the twist. I think it's gonna be fun. A cover-based shooter in Shibuya is a great start, but throw in a good sci-fi story and it should be brilliant.

But this is GAF. A Japanese dev trying to dabble in a western genre is always gonna start off on the wrong foot.

With the pedigree in mind, that's what I'm going with for right now. Gimme some actual game play footage to see, and this could be something I see myself buying after RGG OF THE END. :D

Mik2121

That was... bad.

What are those HUGE flying things carrying small ugly green robots? What are those white polyester (because there's no way that shit is concrete or anything like that) walls in the middle of the street? Couldn't they just use cars to cover, or some sort of military shields or something? Seriously, that screams of bland design. Speaking of which, what's up with the characters' design? Blandest shit ever :/ Same for the action...

The guy runs against a robot shooting at him (ok), slides under him (ok), turns back to check him while there's another robot shooting at him (eh.. ok...), the other robot stops shooting (why?), he turns back to the second robot slowly and shoots him down (eh..).
And all this mixed with some average voice acting. Yumm...

Benefit of the doubt. But what the fuck? The words Nagoshi speak don't match what I see. And I don't like what I see at all. Except for the cyborg part.

Basically this.
NinjaFusion said:
oh god.... sometimes these japanese interpretations of what they see as western gamers wanting is just embarrassing...

to the point of almost being a caricature of the real thing.... except they are serious.

Mik2121

CaptYamato said:
Seeing how three of the best games this gen are Japanese game...nothing.
I'd love to know which are those three games... I can think of two, MGS4 and GT5, but otherwise... (and chances are you're not counting GT5 so..)

Momo

Banned
You guys of course realise that the way you are reacting to this game is the same way Japan reacts to western games.

Korigama

Mik2121 said:
I'd love to know which are those three games... I can think of two, MGS3 and GT5, but otherwise... (and chances are you're not counting GT5 so..)

Pretty sure MGS3 was last gen...

Either way, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, and Vanquish are three published by Sega specifically. In general, though, I'd say most of the best Japanese titles this gen have been going to non-HD systems (Wii and handhelds), with the standout titles for HD systems being rarer than last gen's console releases.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Momo said:
You guys of course realise that the way you are reacting to this game is the same way Japan reacts to western games.
But the 8-4 guys says that Japanese devs LOVE Red Dead Redemption and don't mind shitty localization :I

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Momo said:
Because western games try to appeal to otaku and body pillow horders.

Lijik

I guess I'd have to see gameplay, but outside of the "twist" and the larger robot designs this trailer/info is doing nothing for me. Even the hokey dialogue comes off as bland instead of so bad its good, and normally I love that shit.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Lijik said:
I guess I'd have to see gameplay, but outside of the "twist" and the larger robot designs this trailer/info is doing nothing for me. Even the hokey dialogue comes off as bland instead of so bad its good, and normally I love that shit.
As I said in a previous post, I think the trailer walks a very fine line between "its so bad its good," and a straight up language barrier creating bad direction, a la Resident Evil Degeneration.

Mik2121

Korigama said:
Pretty sure MGS3 was last gen...

Either way, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, and Vanquish are three published by Sega specifically. In general, though, I'd say most of the best Japanese titles this gen have been going to non-HD systems (Wii and handhelds), with the standout titles for HD systems being rarer than last gen's console releases.
Meant MGS4, sorry.

And.. LOL! Bayonetta and Vanquish are hardly anywhere close to "the best of this generation". Average action games that can be cleared in a few hours with close to no replayability.. no, thanks.

lupinko

Now I am a big fan of the master of tanning, but Nagoshi and the remnants of Amusement Vision have their work cut out for them as whatever overseas team is working with them is probably holding them down after this trailer. :lol

I will wait and see.

Korigama

Mik2121 said:
Meant MGS4, sorry.

And.. LOL! Bayonetta and Vanquish are hardly anywhere close to "the best of this generation". Average action games that can be cleared in a few hours with close to no replayability.. no, thanks.

...Really? Wow...just wow (and I mean that in the worst possible way). :lol Saying Bayonetta in particular has no replay value makes even less sense. I'd love to hear what your idea of a good action game is.

Gavarms

Mik2121 said:
Meant MGS4, sorry.

REALLY????

Anyway as for Binary Domain it looks like wait and see.

Has there been any indication that they're actually working with an overseas "team" on the game, aside from the early reports that leaked out of Famitsu? Nogoshi doesn't actually say anywhere in his Famitsu interview that they're working with an overseas studio or team. He just says that overseas staff members were of the opinion that they should set the game outside of Japan. That could refer to anything, even the people doing the marketing.

Mik2121 said:
Meant MGS4, sorry.

I'm trully sorry, but you have the worst taste, ever.

Koralsky

Mik2121 said:
Meant MGS4, sorry.

Biggest lol on Earth

Lijik

Mik2121 said:

You know I was going to point out that a lot of people really liked those two Mario space games, but after reading this... :lol :lol

Ellis Kim said:
As I said in a previous post, I think the trailer walks a very fine line between "its so bad its good," and a straight up language barrier creating bad direction, a la Resident Evil Degeneration.
You're certainly on point, and I did smirk at "Let the good times roll" (the cinematography for that bit might have helped as well), but I fear it will lean to close to the latter for comfort.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Momo said:
I remember a certain Fallout New Vegas ad campaign.
Ad campaigns = games?

Mik2121 said:
Meant MGS4, sorry.

You're a terrible human being. Bayonetta is God's gift to man.

Suzuki Yu

actually no one can judge the quality of the game from this video. (or cut-scene)
the two highlighted features of the game based on Nagoshi's Interview are the Drama and the gameplay , praising the AI System to be innovative and top level.
this video doesn't show any of these points.

but yeah while the game engine is quite nice and personally i like the Robots designs , the human characters are awfully generic alongside bad dialog and voice acting, and the whole fight cut-scene was badly executed, i don't know why they made this video in the first place! it doesn't give the impression they wanted!

even Nagoshi himself knows that we won't be amazed by anything from this video
Nagoshi's comment :
That’s all I can tell you now, but I’m sure the game will amaze you in the near future more than you could imagine.

AndriaSang said:
Has there been any indication that they're actually working with an overseas "team" on the game, aside from the early reports that leaked out of Famitsu? Nogoshi doesn't actually say anywhere in his Famitsu interview that they're working with an overseas studio or team. He just says that overseas staff members were of the opinion that they should set the game outside of Japan. That could refer to anything, even the people doing the marketing.
you're right, the game is totally developed internally by his team.

shaowebb

Scrap the space marine looking main guy, and keep the premise and you've got a decent enough start. I'll be curious how this turns out because it could go either way.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
This looks fucking terrible

like a cutscene of terminator made by some shitty f-grade japanese studio.

and to think that son of a bitch naagoshi is using my jsr team to make this awful shit

fuck you guy. fuck you right in your ear

Mik2121 said:
Meant MGS4, sorry.

Then whats the best action game this gen then?

Either way you're wrong.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
meh

so did Vanquish sold well enough for SEGA to let them release another futuristic military shooter for PS3 and 360?

and since this is from Yakuza team , why they not make open world/GTA style game set in USA if they and SEGA want something for the western audience instead of another generic futuristic military shooter.

Barakov

Mik2121 said:
Meant MGS4, sorry.

:lol

Is this (and Quantum Theory) honestly what Japanese developers see when they play Gears of War and Killzone?

Trailer had a nice twist at the end, otherwise, laughably poor.

Lijik

I hope the recent surge of Zombie games makes japanese developers think they need zombies to appeal to the west and a Zombie's Revenge 2 happens.

Sega, just make Zombie's Revenge 2.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Come on guys, "Japanese game developers must be like Western developers" so they're just trying to "appeal to the global (Western) audiences" and giving us a "deep serious action/sci-fi/drama storyline"...I mean you can't make it in the "games industry" without chasing a "epic cinematic Hollywood experience" and pandering to "demographically appealing audiences"...I mean, that's what games are ALL about: movies.

Top Bottom