• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant - Official Review Thread

AJUMP23

So the guy that started this thread had actually written a negative review before he started the thread. Then he trashes the game and updates the first post with negative reviews. 🤡

Although I would say the ACG review is not negative, just wait a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of people in this thread in HEAVY denial and rationalizing - this isn't a good game. Sorry if you pre-ordered, maybe try to get your money back?
according to professional critics, most games by From Software before Demon Souls were "not good" either.

Maogp

A lot of people in this thread in HEAVY denial and rationalizing - this isn't a good game. Sorry if you pre-ordered, maybe try to get your money back?
nope. Is a good game. A solid 70/100 game (i'm not a buyer)
What a disaster, wow. Some people were REALLY excited about this on YT for some reason. Shame.
Is not a disaster, the op just opened this thread to put his review for a game that he hate for some reason.

Last edited:
12:24 PM EST - Updated the thread with the following

IGN
IGN Italia
Destructod
GodisGeek
Screenrant

Thank you all for helping out <3. I am going for food break now. Be back soon.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably more to do with the vast majority of reviews being negative.
not exactly, its all over the place but not predominantly negative.

1. Positive:16
  2. Mixed:19
  3. Negative:4

Miles708

Hey OP, why only bad reviews in the first post?

Destructoid:

IGN Italia

Multiplayer.it

God is a geek

Screenrant
3.5/5

it's a good game. Not a masterpiece but a solid game.
This is a relevant post.

This guy lol

He just made this thread to promote his own dogshit site and fuck off afterwards

Also this.

I'm sorry Elder Legend Elder Legend but you shouldn't have opened this thread with clear interests in it.
How about placing reviews on order of votes, instead of your own first?

Not a professional look, sorry man, this is not how it's done.

kyussman

Not gonna lie,I watched the Skill Up review.....and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this,lol.
I enjoy back and forthing across open worlds if they look nice.....and this one looks lovely.My only concern is bugs,so might hold off a little bit to see what patches drop but my copy is on the way.

Reactions: Isa
It's game that is a very mixed bag. Some people are less critical than others. I am a very harsh critic, I'll admit to that, some people may or may not like that. There is really no right or wrong here. I base everything of as an objectivity and current day standards, if someone has issues with that, that's their problem not mine. People should follow what their gut tells them at the end of the day, unless there is a person or a publication they trust and like to follow because their opinions and values are similar to theirs. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions: e&e
This is a relevant post.

Also this.

I'm sorry Elder Legend Elder Legend but you shouldn't have opened this thread with clear interests in it.

How about you go make your own review thread next time? It's a review thread for fuck's sake lol.

I always add first come fist serve at no particular order. If you do not like that then that's your issue my man. No one is forcing to read or click anything.

Last edited:
Welp, I had hoped the game would review better. I'll still be playing the game on PC either way.

I'm attracted to the game because of the interesting gameplay + unique setting. I'm honestly not sure why people are so quick to assume the game is garbage...

Reactions: Isa
And we still talk about integrity of critics. Nice, man.
You sitting here disrespecting me man, when I am spending my time updating the thread and trying to give the community something. What is your problem and what do you want? I am sorry to inform you but the world does not revolve around a Neogaf poster lol.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Heh yeah

I really ejoyed the likes of Ryse, The Order, Outriders, Anthem and Andromeda

Ah to be out of touch
I think people who scores biomutant a 4 for reasons like shallow open world, mediocre combat, mediocre story, a lot of bloat, shitty sidequest etc. Just to score botw or ac saga with a 8\9\10 are more out of touch than we are my dude.

Onestly? after seeing how many people in here hate games with 90+ MC like rdr2 or botw or tlou2 i expected less people giving MC and reviews all this importance...boy i was wrong.

I Guess MC is only good when it comes with the right narrative...

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Some people don't care about reviews and trust their guts.

Hard to believe for people who prefer reading a score to base their purchase, i know.
Did you think Crackdown 3 was a masterpiece? Are you one of "those people"?

Messing with you, but seriously this game looks like crap. More power to you, if you insist on loving it though.... I guess...?

GymWolf

Did you think Crackdown 3 was a masterpiece? Are you one of "those people"?

Messing with you, but seriously this game looks like crap. More power to you, if you insist on loving it though.... I guess...?
I didn't played that one because the footage didn't convinced me (the game has somehow worst physics and fun factor than the first game)

Let me ask you this then, do you greatly enjoyed every game with 90+ mc and absolutely hated every game with 70 or less?!

Because i know i didn't so i prefer to trust my guts and experience when i have to judge a game.

Yes, maybe the combat is gonna be clunky, the story bad and the open world a bit shallow, doesn:t mean that i'm not gonna have great fun with it, a lot of games with high scores have the same exact flaws.

The game always looked a bit clunky in the combat\animations department, i knew this since the first trailer, only a blind casual woukd hope for dmc 5 tier of combat, you don't need any journalist to see the glaring flaws of this game, they were always noticeable for an experienced player who play all type of games and not only ultra polished AAA games.

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
Average scores means still a highly playable game. I've played and enjoyed games that others considered trash (ghost busters, too human) I will play this

Fredrik

This is a relevant post.

Also this.

I agree on this. First review thread I’ve seen where the lowest score is the first review and it’s written by the OP, never seen the site before so could’ve just as well had the thread start with other rando reviews like below, would’ve painted another picture but that was not the plan

mKmTiYu.jpg

Oh well, 68 on PC is lower than I expected but I’ll take one for the team and will jump in tomorrow to make up my own mind on this. My most played game on Steam is No Man’s Sky and it started out with less stellar scores as well... Hopefully the team won’t get depressed and close the studio and will take a Hello Games approach instead and improve what needs to be improved. Sounds like it needs more variation, cool loot and life in the world to make exploration more rewarding. And maybe a Gamepass release once the native nextgen versions come out.

*Nightwing

Still looks like it’s gonna be fun gameplay, loot grinding, character upgrade to reach new areas I’ve been excited about all along with the awesome visuals.

All the negative reviews posted so far all boil down to it being bad because it is not a next gen AAA tittle?

Either way fun to watch the reviews but I also play based on what I like not others weird expectations of a game and haven’t seen anything to make me question if I am going to love playing biomutant yet even in the lowest scored reviews.

Looks like some of the main complaints are poor AI (enemies just stand there or only trigger when you get within range) and texture pop in (videos show grass and foliage pop in is very common) as well as very mobile-looking menus but these are things to be expected from a small, young studio. This is a small team without a lot of experience.

The fact there is an open-world with some good looking color schemes and character design (not my style but it looks decently good, again, for a small dev team) I think around 70 seems fair. I'll wait for it to go on sale but I think there are some intriguing aspects. I remember when BOTW was praised for being "brave" to keep its openworld artistically empty. Now the empty world is a negative?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when BOTW was praised for being "brave" to keep its openworld artistically empty. Now the empty world is a negative?
it's especially weird considering it's a post-apocalyptic setting or at the very least post-natural disaster. A world like that should be somewhat empty, it's kinda the point.

it's especially weird considering it's a post-apocalyptic setting or at the very least post-natural disaster. A world like that should be somewhat empty, it's kinda the point.
If a world is empty you can still make it interesting and not lifeless.

Many wasteland type games have difficulties achieving that. It's a similar issue to making something like Snow to look good visually.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If a world is empty you can still make it interesting and not lifeless.
interesting yes, lifeless ehhh it depends. If the game revolves around there being next to no life as everything is dead in this post-apocalyptic world, being full of life would kinda miss the point. One of my favorites is Fallout 3, and I would definitely say the world is devoid of life and empty. yes, there are people, there are towns, there are creatures, but generally, it is a wasteland throughout. empty and devoid of life doesn't necessarily mean devoid of personality though or boring.

Isa

Claiming this game is shit is definitely an unfair dismissal and a weak insult to others who don't think the way you do. Seriously, is that the best you've got? A drive-by shitpost? What kind of mental train of thought spews out this nonsense?" I never thought it looked good so the mixed scores must reinforce my world view that said thing is shit. "

I'm not bothered by the complaints honestly. The limited budget shows, but it still has heart man, and I miss the days of B and A tier games. The a.i. is oldschool? So what, I never expected to go against the next evolution of artificial intelligence. In my opinion this is one of those games that comes along once in a while that is system and gameplay focused, which isn't the expected "next big thing" AA or AAA model. I think it looks great despite the flaws. ACG's review was the only one I've watched and seems totally fair. The audio choices and complaints also lend credence to the limited budget imho.

GHG

This guy lol

He just made this thread to promote his own dogshit site and fuck off afterwards

It's seemingly impossible for him to create a thread where it isn't about him. Madness.

Anyway as for the game looks like your typical love it or hate it eurojank™ game. I still very much like the look of the game and I'm a bit divided because while Skill Up didn't like it Fextralife did and those are the two I typically look to for games like this.

FightinCowboy was also mixed on this and he's the best RPG/action game let's player/streamer around IMO (seems like he really wanted to like it):

It will be dirt cheap or all over subscription services in no time anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom