• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock 2 Multiplayer Debut Trailer

Raide

Mango Positive said:
Looks fun. Multiplayer is multiplayer in a shooter... I'm not quite sure what you guys were expecting.

Something with a little more thought put into it? The video reminds me of games like Prey, The Darkness etc, where the MP sounds kinda cool and different but its really just poorly done.

I can understand Developers being worried about big MP hitters like MW2 and Halo but they should at least give a damn about making a fun experience. Bioshock 2 MP will be dead within a few weeks of launch.

I cannot wait for the SP game mind, since I hope all of their effort went into making that awesome instead of working on the MP side.

soldat7

The real crime here is that even if the single player shines, the final review score will be brought down because of this multiplayer.

fix the animation system, they all look like they all share the same movement animation. I wonder how they going to fix the janky aiming in the console versions of this game. Auto aim in bioshock was iffy to horrible, now apply that to multiplayer eh. I really hope the multiplayer isn't Quake 3 arena style.

Blueblur1

mario ate my burger said:
That looked terrible.

If you wanted to show people who had any interested in Bioshock multiplayer just show them this trailer.
Not true. I'm sure that if you show it to any average pre-teen or teenager, they will at very least think it looks cool. And really, with a seemingly tacked on mode like this, that's probably what they're going for. It really is a shame seeing all those assets re-used for what is supposed to be a pre-Bioshock 1 Rapture. Ugh.

-viper-

Banned
Graphics aside, it looks terrible. There better not be multiplayer trophies :\

There are ENOUGH multiplayer games out there. I don't want to have multiplayer in every game I play.

Bioshock doesn't need multiplayer.

Serph

Banned
sometimes, I'm glad I can't watch videos at work. This allows me to continue the illusion in my head, and aspiring to the hope that this single player campaign will be everything I want it to be.

Day 1.

-viper- said:
Graphics aside, it looks terrible. There better not be multiplayer trophies :\

There are ENOUGH multiplayer games out there. I don't want to have multiplayer in every game I play.

Bioshock doesn't need multiplayer.
A lot of people ONLY play multiplayer games and don't care about single player modes. Developers just need to get it through their skulls that they don't have to please both camps, especially when it means compromising good design in either model.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Considering how bad Bioshock was as an FPS, can't say I'm surprise with how this is turning out.

Assassin's Creed 2 doesn't have multi-player. I don't see anyone demanding it, and it's going to sell millions. Every game doesn't need multi-player.

-viper-

Banned
Winterblink said:
A lot of people ONLY play multiplayer games and don't care about single player modes. Developers just need to get it through their skulls that they don't have to please both camps, especially when it means compromising good design in either model.
Bioshock 2, like the first game, will be about the single player experience, not the multiplayer madness.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tom Penny said:
Uncharted now Bioshock ruined because of multiplayer :/
Now THAT I disagree with. Naughty Dog has done a great job with the feature set of Uncharted 2. From the looks of it, we will still receive an incredibly awesome single player experience (with even more variety than the first) along with a very robust multiplayer and cinema mode. The multiplayer isn't just deathmatch either. The co-op stuff sounds great and some of the game modes are interesting.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
So much hate! I thought it looked pretty fun. Why are you guys talking like this is the final build of the game? You know its gonna look better.

TONX said:
So much hate! I thought it looked pretty fun. Why are you guys talking like this is the final build of the game? You know its gonna look better.

There is a resounding "Meh". And everyone is asking themselves, why is this being developed?

Who could this possibly cater to? The Halo crowd won't touch Bioshock the second they hear "RPG elements". This mode has to try hard to keep me from playing Team Fortress 2 and Uncharted 2 multiplayer.

Naturally we are all thinking the same thing, if this is going to end up mediocre why not throw away the cash here and just make the single player even more compelling?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
SmallTimeLeon said:
There is a resounding "Meh". And everyone is asking themselves, why is this being developed?

Who could this possibly cater to? The Halo crowd won't touch Bioshock the second they hear "RPG elements". This mode has to try hard to keep me from playing Team Fortress 2 and Uncharted 2 multiplayer.

Naturally we are all thinking the same thing, if this is going to end up mediocre why not throw away the cash here and just make the single player even more compelling?

It could cater to, i dunno, people who play games? You could make the argument that COD4 had "RPG Elements", but that didnt stop absolutely everybody from playing it. I like the fact that they're trying to get more mileage out of their game.

Yes at this point it looks tacked on but that doesnt mean its going to stay that way for christ sake. This is why developers are reluctant to show people sneek peaks of unfinished games.

John

DR2K said:
Looks like fun. All FPS games should have a multiplayer component, my biggest complaint about Bioshock was addressed. Day 1.
What? Why? If it isn't good then just nobody'll play it over the legions of much better multiplayer games. What's the point?

TONX said:
This is why developers are reluctant to show people sneek peaks of unfinished games.
I really wish they had been more reluctant here.

It's one thing to nitpick over stupid crap like people are doing with MW2 multiplayer vids but the vid here almost showcases the flaws.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Dabanton said:
Come on now Bioshock was pretty good.
The environments looked fantastic, and the story was alright, but as for the shooting (etc) I thought it was pretty poor.

PrickleyPete

Neo Member
I appreciate the fact that regardless of whether or not you intend to play MP, you get a multiplayer option that had a full development cycle. There are still some people that think the SP team is wasting resources on MP when another studio is actually working on it.

I'm playing it...can't shoot bees at people in COD.

Ulairi said:
We have the gaming press to blame for this.

Haha, no. You got yourselves to blame for this. If people bought more single player only games then they wouldn't have to shoe-horn in some crappy multiplayer just to get people from saying "I'll buy it used."
The single player experience is dying and it's the consumer's fault.

Even the first trailer to me screamed "Ehh, we're all out of ideas. We know this sequel isn't necessary so while don't we just cash in now!" This second one makes it seem way to obvious.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
ZROCOOL said:
Was that ShadowRun?

That was my exact thought... reminded me a ton of Shadowrun.

I think this looks like trash. Bioshock's acclaim was built on a strong single player game... there's absolutely no need to do this.

From the sounds of what's going on with this game, the whole thing seems like one big disaster waiting to hit store shelves.

Who would have thought a critical and commercial success would have an uphill climb on its sequel?

John

CultureClearance said:
Haha, no. You got yourselves to blame for this. If people bought more single player only games then they wouldn't have to shoe-horn in some crappy multiplayer just to get people from saying "I'll buy it used."
The single player experience is dying and it's the consumer's fault.
What, Bioshock didn't sell?

PrickleyPete said:
I appreciate the fact that regardless of whether or not you intend to play MP, you get a multiplayer option that had a full development cycle. There are still some people that think the SP team is wasting resources on MP when another studio is actually working on it.

I'm playing it...can't shoot bees at people in COD.

Think for half a second and you'll have your answer.
There's more to resources than people. People cost money. Publishers and developers have a MONEY budget along with a TIME budget.

Why buy 1 house when you can buy 2. Who cares? It's not like the same architects, surveyors, real estate agents, etc are going to be associated with both houses at the same time. right?

John said:
What, Bioshock didn't sell?

Yes, it sold. But there's more to banking millions of dollars of investment money into 1 thing. If this was bioshock 3 or 4, I can see your point. You look at trends. You look at expectations. You look at how you bend those trends to minimize potential losses and maximize gains.

With the used market as big as it is now, you want people keeping your game and not giving it up. The best way to do that is to extend the replayability. The best way to do that is multiplayer. You look at sales trends, the games that are making millions and millions are the ones with a healthy multiplayer component.

You look at companies that are going out of business - 90% of them are companies that made single player specific games. You wanna bank on that?

Amir0x

Banned
It's not like this multiplayer is somehow going to impact the singleplayer game, and I love online shit. Bring it on.

Blueblur1

I doubt it's going to be a disaster or a tremendous disservice. If anything, everyone will play it once, shrug it off and continue playing others games. I re-watched the trailer in HD, which makes a difference as I watched it last night on my old CRT TV, and it doesn't look as bad as I initially thought. The actual gameplay half of the trailer is horribly edited though and the environment they showed looks like it's ripped right out of Bioshock or Bioshock 2's SP. I was expecting at the very least some well lit, less cluttered environments in the MP since it precedes the fall of Rapture.

Amir0x said:
It's not like this multiplayer is somehow going to impact the singleplayer game, and I love online shit. Bring it on.
:lol
You guys must live in some kind of bubble. Games don't magically show up. They aren't magically budgeted by money fairies. You can't just increase your budget cause you want to.
You have 10 million dollars (or whatever) and 2 years. What are you going to do with that money and that time?

Getting another company to do your multiplayer for you saves most of the time aspect, but does severely hinder your budget. It also is a huge time hindrance on your lead producer, lead programmer and lead artists/director. You gotta get that other company on par with your thousands of lines of code, art direction, animation system, art process and game direction.

I'm gonna use that house analogy again. You can spend 100,000 dollars on a sweet living room or spend 100,000 dollars on a living room and a kitchen. You can hire a different group to work on the kitchen and another one to work on the living room at the same time. That will save you time and cost you about the same amount of money. That does not mean your living room will look like it would have if you spent all your budget money on that one thing. It also means that both the living room workers and the kitchen workers will have to cross communicate or your living room and kitchen will not look right together or worse won't even connect at all. This takes lots of time and coordination aka time.

Truant

gibration said:
Same here. I don't even think I will touch the multiplayer.

Problem is, the SP looks kinda boring to me. The first was great, and it still is, I just don't see the point of a sequel when it's done the way it is. Same enviroments etc. It would be cooler if you could explore another area that was as well realized as Rapture.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
but if you know you can comfortably afford your sweet living room because of all the things you're bringing with you from your parent's house, and as a result still have left over dollars in your budget, sometimes hiring some people to come and fix up the kitchen seems like an attractive, and non-detrimental, option.

Amir0x

Banned
CultureClearance said:
You guys must live in some kind of bubble. Games don't magically show up. They aren't magically budgeted by money fairies. You can't just increase your budget cause you want to.
You have 10 million dollars (or whatever) and 2 years. What are you going to do with that money and that time?

Getting another company to do your multiplayer for you saves most of the time aspect, but does severely hinder your budget. It also is a huge time hindrance on your lead producer, lead programmer and lead artists/director. You gotta get that other company on par with your thousands of lines of code, art direction, animation system, art process and game direction.

Bioshock 2 will not necessarily cost the same to make in singleplayer in the first place, and they already have a foundation laid out with Bioshock 1.

But regardless: they have been very clear that Bioshock 2's focus is singleplayer. They make a separate team develop this, and you're still assuming on top of that that you can actually make any claim about the budget at all. You don't know how much they used to make Bioshock 1, and how much they're using to make Bioshock 2.

I know plenty of games which had only singleplayer in the first round, added multiplayer, and was still exactly as good as the first go. Your speculation as to how "IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE QUALITY NOT TO SUFFER" is at best completely wrong.

I thought it looked entertaining. Obviously the game was never going to be a replacement for MW2/KZ2/Gears/whateverdafuck you want to play long term.

PrickleyPete

Neo Member
CultureClearance said:
Think for half a second and you'll have your answer.
There's more to resources than people. People cost money. Publishers and developers have a MONEY budget along with a TIME budget.

Why buy 1 house when you can buy 2. Who cares? It's not like the same architects, surveyors, real estate agents, etc are going to be associated with both houses at the same time. right?

Money budgets are flexible, I think flagship titles like Bioshock are rarely blocked by money issues...they get delayed and they get more money thrown at them. As for the time budget...if you cannot meet your budgeted deadline, what do you add? You add people. You need money for people sure, but money alone wont create art, animate characters, code AI, or fix bugs. And where do you get the 60-70 extra people you need to meet those deadlines? You contract an external studio with a full team of developers who already have a cohesive unit.

As for your house analogy, I'd rather have one above average house plus a cottage on the lake, when it sounds like you would like one spectacular big house. However, you would only have time and money...but no people to work on your house, and since the decision to have MP was always in the plans, you'd be getting a half built house and a half built cottage.

Top Bottom