• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Replaying Bioshock 1 for the first time in ages and I'm still blown away by the great atmosphere of the game. From the looks of it, Infinite will keep that going.

What I really hopes improves is the combat. I had forgotten just how crummy the combat feels in Bioshock. The concepts of using your plasmids and various weapons and ammo types is great but just the act of shooting enemies doesn't feel right. Like there isn't enough reactivity or feedback when you shoot someone. There isn't enough "oomph" in any of your attacks. If the combat can feel better in Infinite, that would be fantastic.

Andrew.

Banned
haha dude sorry, I've talked it about it in a few interviews. Working atm but a few features include: resurrection costs cash (since cash availability already differs in the mode rez expenditures come out of an already stretched-thin wallet with funds you need to use on upgrades), all foes revert to full HP on death, if you die without cash for a rez you'll have to load a quicksave, stuff like that. If some fool just stumbled into the mode thinking it was standard Hard or whatever he'd get massacred and hate the game. It's Derrick mode. Are you a bad enough dude to go full Derrick TM?

Never go Full Derrick, man.

600full-tropic-thunder-photo-222x300.jpg

mrlion

Well in the FAQ it says not to play Bioshock 1, but I made a decision to play it this week since I haven't played it in preparation for Infinite. Thought I don't think its going to give me "series fatigue" the game so far the game is fantastic.

Anyway I hope you're wrong and it doesn't affect me with said fatigue lol

Zeliard

Working atm but a few features include: resurrection costs cash (since cash availability already differs in the mode rez expenditures come out of an already stretched-thin wallet with funds you need to use on upgrades), all foes revert to full HP on death, if you die without cash for a rez you'll have to load a quicksave, stuff like that. If some fool just stumbled into the mode thinking it was standard Hard or whatever he'd get massacred and hate the game. It's Derrick mode. Are you a bad enough dude to go full Derrick TM?

Pfft Derrick is too sissy to even go 1999 mode on his first go.

And as far as I'm concerned it seems more and more like the way to go in the first playthrough. Emphasis on specialization, bigger death penalties, scarcity of resources. What's not to like? Seems like you guys have thought it through enough that it isn't simply tacked-on.

Amir0x

Banned

And as far as I'm concerned it seems more and more like the way to go in the first playthrough. Emphasis on specialization, bigger death penalties, scarcity of resources. What's not to like? Seems like you guys have thought it through enough that it isn't simply tacked-on.

I suggest they DLC in a 1989 mode where it will delete your save every time you die.

Andrew.

Banned
I suggest they DLC in a 1989 mode where it will delete your save every time you die.

Save games barely existed in 1989. 1989 mode should feature no saving whatsoever. Just a set of three lives, or four if you count 0 as one.

Obviously this would never happen, but its a sweet thought.

Amir0x

Banned
Save games barely existed in 1989. 1989 mode should feature no saving whatsoever. Just a set of three lives, or four if you count 0 as one.

Maybe if you didn't have a cartridge! Then, three saves contingent on your cartridge's battery!

What about 1969 mode, where every time you die a mobster visits your house and breaks your fingers?

Toa TAK

Banned
Going to pick this up at the Gamestop at work. Been looking forward to this for years like everyone else.

But I have to ask, what are the chances of this being good enough for GOTY? I'm a bit worried that the story won't be as good as Ken has been hyping it to be...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Maybe if you didn't have a cartridge! Then, three saves contingent on your cartridge's battery!

What about 1969 mode, where every time you die a mobster visits your house and breaks your fingers?

Why not just have 1912 Mode where Irrational sends you a case of Absinthe and other mysterious liquors and a gun and you get to play Infinite for real.

antitrop

I still haven't figured out where to pre-order this. I already have Bioshock 1 and Xcom on Steam (and don't care about TF2), so maybe I'm thinking GMG's $60 + 15 back might be the best option.

I already bought Tomb Raider and HotS CE this month, trying to save some bucks on Bioshock, haha.

Well in the FAQ it says not to play Bioshock 1, but I made a decision to play it this week since I haven't played it in preparation for Infinite. Thought I don't think its going to give me "series fatigue" the game so far the game is fantastic.

Anyway I hope you're wrong and it doesn't affect me with said fatigue lol

The interesting thing about Infinite as a sequel is that it is really only a thematic sequel, with some similar gameplay elements. It really looks to be a totally different experience to Bioshock.

Is the first time in gaming that a franchise is mainly linked by theme?

Amir0x

Banned
Why not just have 1912 Mode where Irrational sends you a case of Absinthe and other mysterious liquors and a gun and you get to play Infinite for real.

Real talk: How many of you wouldn't go to a Columbia/Rapture Amusement park?

Can you say SKYHOOK Roller Coaster? I can!

A hardcore mode could be interesting actually, haha.

I would love it and die trying to beat it!

ironcreed

Banned
Ah, quite the gorgeous OT. It's been a long wait on a roller coaster of up and down hype, but I'm thinking it will ultimately be a nice payoff. Can't wait.

beastmode

The interesting thing about Infinite as a sequel is that it is really only a thematic sequel, with some similar gameplay elements. It really looks to be a totally different experience to Bioshock.

Is the first time in gaming that a franchise is mainly linked by theme?
final fantasy?

NAPK1NS

I still haven't figured out where to pre-order this. I already have Bioshock 1 and Xcom on Steam (and don't care about TF2), so maybe I'm thinking GMG's $60 + 15 back might be the best option.

I already bought Tomb Raider and HotS CE this month, trying to save some bucks on Bioshock, haha.
The GMG deal is nice, I'm sure you've investigated the bonus game schpeal.

Thing is, they still haven't sent me my Steam code. It's fine, but it just feels weird paying 45 bucks and getting nothing. Here's to hoping its sent out a day before and NOT the day of.

Sulla1980

Great job on the OT!

I am so pumped for this game. I preordered it years ago (literally), and have patiently waited through each delay. Very excited to play in this world.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Without knowing any details or having played a single second of it, let me just say that 1999 Mode is the way to play.

Derrick01

Banned

I want to be able to see and judge the game they made for the vast majority of people first before diving into suicide mode. I might dive into 1999 mode first if I can be convinced it doesn't end up with similar failings as other game's hardcore modes though.

My conundrum:

Part of me wants to go through the game on Hard to experience the story with as little outside influence as possible while still providing a bit of difficulty. Part of me wants 1999 mode because that would satisfy the gamer inside me that yearns for games to actually be difficult and I love everything it has proposed.

I, however, don't want 1999 Mode to be a trainwreck on my first playthrough and have it sully the experience.

Choices, choices.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Real talk: How many of you wouldn't go to a Columbia/Rapture Amusement park?

Can you say SKYHOOK Roller Coaster? I can!

An inverted roller coaster with just one person in a chest harness and one arm raised holding a grip or something would be insane. So many people would get hurt, but it would be worth it. Especially if you could control the speed with the hand grip, applying break pressure or just letting it go.

My conundrum:

Part of me wants to go through the game on Hard to experience the story with as little outside influence as possible while still providing a bit of difficulty. Part of me wants 1999 mode because that would satisfy the gamer inside me that yearns for games to actually be difficult and I love everything it has proposed.

I, however, don't want 1999 Mode to be a trainwreck on my first playthrough and have it sully the experience.

Choices, choices.

I think it makes sense to play on Hard first if you care about the story. I crave the challenge of 1999 Mode, but I don't want the narrative pacing to be hindered by potentially hitting a brick wall or replaying segments over and over. Plus, I imagine a 1999 Mode playthrough would be more effective once I understand the game's systems and can make informed specialization decisions.

I think it makes sense to play on Hard first if you care about the story. I crave the challenge of 1999 Mode, but I don't want the narrative pacing to be hindered by potentially hitting a brick wall or replaying segments over and over. Plus, I imagine a 1999 Mode playthrough would be more effective once I understand the game's systems and can make informed specialization decisions.

Good point. Decision made.

RkOwnage

Just about finished with my playthrough of Bioshock 1, which is just as epic as I remember. Can't wait for this. Very curious to see if there is a Big twist in this one, and am prepared to be blown away!

Top Bottom