• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Is the value in the XEngine file the one that matters? It was on for me already.

Maybe that's why I haven't had any issues...

Yeah, it was FALSE for me. I changed it and loaded the game and started to play. My game would play really smoothly except some certain areas and heavy combat produced stuttering. Now the combat stuttering is all gone and and the loading stuttering went from like 3-4 seconds to 1 max. Its really fast.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah, it was FALSE for me. I changed it and loaded the game and started to play. My game would play really smoothly except some certain areas and heavy combat produced stuttering. Now the combat stuttering is all gone and and the loading stuttering went from like 3-4 seconds to 1 max. Its really fast.

Are you still using the pool memory tweak, or have you disabled that and tried this alone?

knitoe

Just installed and ran the bench max settings (alternate rendering) @ 1440p running 2600K@4.5GHz & SLI Titans.

rHprMhl.jpg

neoism

This sounds like what you're looking for but it will effect the whole UI, I presume.

so is this pointless to use at 720p... I'm using the no hud tweak I like it but I would rather have the hud but really small.... can you use negative values... the wiki says its for high resolutions only..

After having played the game for about 2 hours now (had very busy week) using both D3DOverrider and RadeonPro to force Vsync, I prefere RadeonPro now. While there is no screen tearing with D3DOverrider, I feel very small micro stuttering when quickly turning with a mouse (fine for controller).

RadeonPro allows for vsync with dynamic framerate control which occasionally gives some small tearing (when FPS <60) but at the same time there is hardly any mouse lag when turning around quickly. On the plus side, the Steam Overlay and Achievement Popups seem to work with RadeonPro (did not with D3DOverrider).

What settings are you using for RadeonPro? I tried setting up triple buffering but I'm still getting a lot of tearing... it doesn't seem to be picking up my settings at all.

epmode

so is this pointless to use at 720p... I'm using the no hud tweak I like it but I would rather have the hud but really small.... can you use negative values... the wiki says its for high resolutions only..

Give it a try! I just guessed about the ranges.

hlhbk

I am experiencing screen tearing while in game even with vsync on. Has anyone else experienced this yet and is there a fix?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ken Levine &#8207;@IGLevine 14m

RT @korkyplunger: Those experiencing "stuttering" on BioShock Infinite PC, changing bInitializeShadersOnDemand to TRUE in INIs might help.

@korkyplunger

Technical Director at Irrational Games in Boston, working on BioShock Infinite. The opinions expressed here are strictly my own, not those of my employer.

Cheers, added to OP.

I am experiencing screen tearing while in game even with vsync on. Has anyone else experienced this yet and is there a fix?

Forcing vsync/triple buffering via D3DO worked just fine for me, though it and external SMAA injectors are incompatible.

MrBig

RT @korkyplunger: Those experiencing "stuttering" on BioShock Infinite PC, changing bInitializeShadersOnDemand to TRUE in INIs might help.

@korkyplunger

Technical Director at Irrational Games in Boston, working on BioShock Infinite. The opinions expressed here are strictly my own, not those of my employer.

Adjusting poolsize was causing my game to crash, without it though I had unplayable stuttering whenever I rotated too much. This seems to have eliminated all stuttering for me and no more crashing after reverting the poolsize tweaks.

webtax

Neo Member
been playing a good chunk today,it actually runs pretty great on my 4850 with OC (shadows on low, oclusion and vsync off) the game looks fantastic

mileS

@korkyplunger

He also says change the compat file as well, in the same folder. Going to try going.

neoism

Use these values in XEngine

EDIT

With the latest drivers, alternate frame rendering is on by default.

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE

MinSmoothedFrameRate=59
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=61
lol funny the bolded is false in my ini file and when I changed it to true. it wouldn't run... wouldn't go past the IRgames logo... :/ I will try that one Ken said tomorrow, well in it now, this fucking game man. :O so good... I only play for like 1 hour at a time because I don't want it to end. Finally got the Industrial Revolution dlc. :/ Got the 500 and the lock picks, why must they take forever. :( Will most definitely use it for my 1999 run, so anyone think the DLC season pass is worth it. Since I per-ordered on amazon I can get it for free, but I thought GTAV was a 2k game. Still get the load pause or whatever it is.. shuttering is better, but still that shit is so immersion braking. Really hope for a patch before I beat it.

Doesn't happen too often but I decided to restart it. Played with a controller last time due to mouse sensitivity problems now fixed using the finer adjustment the XEngine tweak allows. KB+M plus expanded FOV and its like a new game ;)

Also reverted my previous XEngine and just applied the bInitializeShadersOnDemand edit and while there are still small dips when loading areas they are very quick and almost unnoticeable (I probably wouldn't notice at all if it weren't for Fraps). It hasn't frozen on the loading screen yet and doesn't hitch on the loading screen like it used to.

Fingers crossed.

I dont get it. First time it worked like a charm. Now it does the same thing that other tweaks did. Loads to main menu, press continue, loads for a few seconds and then crashes. Everytime. Had to set it back to false to get it to load.

leng jai

@korkyplunger

This is the first suggestion that has actually reduced my stuttering.

Shaneus

So, the game runs REALLY well for about 90% of the time, but there are always areas where I think it's loading textures, but it'll always drop to around 40fps before getting back to 60 again. Had almost exactly the same problem with Sleeping Dogs as well... move camera to an area that has new textures and for a good second or two the framerate'll drop until they're seemingly loaded... then it's fine. Until you hit the next area.

I've even tried dropping the resolution to 720p (just to make sure it's not running low on VRAM) but even doing that, my VRAM is about 1/3 full but still I get this damn slowdown :/

big_z

are there any comparison pics of dynamic shadows on ultra vs very high as well as post processing on normal vs alternative?

using normal processing and shadows on very high has rid the game of most stuttering for me. seems like select objects or areas trigger the stuttering with these options maxed.

thuway

Can we get a post in the OP with a comprehensive list of what to change and what not to change. He has some stuff, but not everything. I really want to make this game SHINE :).

masterkajo

What settings are you using for RadeonPro? I tried setting up triple buffering but I'm still getting a lot of tearing... it doesn't seem to be picking up my settings at all.

I added a new profile (Bioshock Infinite.exe) and went to the tweaks tab. There I turned Vsync to "Always On", checked "Triple-buffering" and "Dynamic Framerate Control" with "Keep up to 60 FPS".

That is all I changed. Except maybe tweak the on screen display and screenshots hotkeys to my liking. Best way to see if RadeonPro works is turining on the FPS counter and when you start the screen you should see the FPS counter in one of the corners (whichever you chose). You could also go "Settings" -> "Advanced" and asign a hotkey to "Toggle on OSD Panel". When you are playing the game you can use the hotkey to display the OSD panel which shows you what settings you are running (Vsync, triple-buffering, Dynamic Framerate Control, FXAA, SMAA etc.)

Best way to notice that everything works though is playing the game and hardly experiencing any tearing. :)

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
The game always freezes for me at the loading screen right after the fireman and I have to CTL ALT DEL because Bioshock Infinite has stopped working.

I have

680GTX SLI
16GB of RAM
i7-3770K
Asus P8Z77-V
850W Power Supply

I keep reading about shuttering issues, has anyone fixed freezing issues?

I have done driver updating and memtest to make sure my RAM is working properly.

EDIT: I guess I am suppose to wait for a patch.

I can't seem to get D3DOverrider to work for Infinite. When I start it up, I hear a split second of the audio from the 2K intro video, but the screen is black and then it crashes to desktop. Any ideas?

Red

I can't seem to get D3DOverrider to work for Infinite. When I start it up, I hear a split second of the audio from the 2K intro video, but the screen is black and then it crashes to desktop. Any ideas?

It's the same issue I'm having. Can't find a solution.

A note on the UI scaling tip in the OP: when a prompt appears, the UI returns to its original size, and then reverts to your settings once the prompt goes away.

dogstar

Banned
are there any comparison pics of dynamic shadows on ultra vs very high as well as post processing on normal vs alternative?

PP on Normal gives less defined, misty distance.. and perhaps slightly more bloom overall.

Post Process Normal
pp2y.jpg

Alternate
23432110.jpg

My only issue with performance is when close too, or looking at some doorways, which can reduce my frame rate by half.. otherwise I get a solid, locked 58fps in most cases.

r3n4ud

Man, I'd love for d3doverrider to work for me. I double-click it, but won't open. It's running in task manager but not there in the system tray.

Upon researching the issue, I restarted web browser and changed compatibility, but still nothing. Any clues? Using Windows 7 64 bit if that helps.

Ya, I said fuck it and reinstalled Windows. D3doverrider now works like a charm!

masterkajo

Suddenly I am now getting a "Failed to save game" message everytime the game tries to autosave. I can click "OK" or "Cancel". By clicking "OK" it seems to save but at the same time goes to the desktop. This is very annoying. Anyone got any ideas?

-griffy-

Banned
Is that reduction in frame rate with PP on Normal or Alternate?

Alternate I'd imagine, as alternate uses a DX11 effect to give a DOF blur to distant objects. Normal doesn't have the DOF effect, but uses some form of bloom to give a similar look to distant objects. Personally I don't like the distant blur so I keep it on normal. Probably why they didn't call it normal and "high" but normal and alternate too, because one isn't really better than the other. It's personal preference.

dogstar

Banned
Alternate I'd imagine, as alternate uses a DX11 effect to give a DOF blur to distant objects. Normal doesn't have the DOF effect, but uses some form of bloom to give a similar look to distant objects. Personally I don't like the distant blur so I keep it on normal. Probably why they didn't call it normal and "high" but normal and alternate too, because one isn't really better than the other. It's personal preference.

The door/performance issue is when using 'normal' PP for me - I find the alternative option gives a further hit in some places, and on balance prefer the look of 'normal'

Someone suggested lowering dynamic shadows and ambient occlusion, to reduce to fps hit around doorways, which I've yet to test... seems daft as once over the threshold the fps goes back to normal... seem like a similar issue to the Crysis3 rope bug.

-griffy-

Banned
I saw a notable improvement in certain areas putting dynamic shadows to very high instead of ultra, and for the life of me I can't tell the difference graphically between the two. There was one area where I had an electricity trap set up, and getting close to the trap with shadows on ultra dropped the framerate, but shadows on very high kept it smooth.

Top Bottom