• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock: PS4 vs Xbox One vs PC Original Analysis and Frame-Rate Test

Kareha

Has there ever been a reason stated as to why the PS4 either can't do or just does AF (anisotropic filtering) so badly? It's been a free graphical addition for PC's for as long as I can remember as it doesn't take much graphical grunt.

From that first screen they posted of Ryan's fucked up statue face I knew something wasn't gonna be right about this remaster. It's a shame.

I guess for people who never played the original they have no point of reference, so ignorance is bliss.

Ridley327

Has there ever been a reason stated as to why the PS4 either can't do or just does AF (anisotropic filtering) so badly? It's been a free graphical addition for PC's for as long as I can remember as it doesn't take much graphical grunt.

PS4 does AF just fine. The problem is that there appear to be multiplatform engines that don't play well with it by default, which seems to always crop in Unreal Engine titles. In this case, UE3 and (unless they did switch engines for 1 and 2) UE Warfare.

Caayn

No texture filtering.

IN 20 MOTHER FUCKING 16
Sadly this is nothing new for the current gen consoles to lack in the AF department.

Here's a comparison of the Unfinished Swan on PS3 vs PS4. The current gen version has the same issue when it comes to texture filtering, whereas the last gen version doesn't have it.
15485977828_c7210f2842_o.gif

Kareha

PS4 does AF just fine. The problem is that there appear to be multiplatform engines that don't play well with it by default, which seems to always crop in Unreal Engine titles. In this case, UE3 and (unless they did switch engines for 1 and 2) UE Warfare.

I see, thanks for the explanation :)

Its Shinobi. I like the guy and he brings the scoops, but if you threatened his dog with a gun and said, Shinobi my man im a kill your puppy unless you say something bad about a Playstation version of a game, he'll sit there and watch you shoot.
That's what you gathered from my post? Anyone who's been on here for as long as I have and knows me knows I don't care about your "system wars".

Please don't involve me in that stuff.

Carlius

Banned
the real leap in graphics was from dx9 to dx10, dx11 was just pure BS. bioshock was a dx10 game just like crysis 1 was. shame that remaster version sucks, i downloaded and played it for an hour before i uninstalled. original with mods it is.

The texture filtering is also missing on the xbox one, this isnt a hardware issue, its incompetent developers.

Gator86

People should spam all these DFs at 2k,Blind Squirrel, and the official Bioshock account on social media. Doubt we get much effort into patches, considering the shit effort on the actual games, without some shaming.

Ridley327

The texture filtering is also missing on the xbox one, this isnt a hardware issue, its incompetent developers.

The weird part is Infinite has AF on the Xbox One. I guess it's a UE Warfare issue that they weren't able to figure out by the time the game had to ship.

That, in of itself, is its own can of worms.

dan2026

Fuck I was looking forward to this.

This thread is a perfect argument as to why you should never preorder games.
To hell with paying for this mess.

Weren't the DX10 effects essentially the shading on the water textures that appear ot be missing here?

I don't recall any other DX10 features, but it's been a while.
Yeah, I believe that is what DX10 did for water. Or at least those water flow maps from dynamic objects...
I swear DX10 bioshock also supported MSAA (and hence modifiable SGSSAA through that with proper bits).

edit: it looks like I am DLing it now to check it out. God damn install size for the new one is 'uge in comparison.

Ding-Ding

Is this going to win any prizes for the quality of the port. No.

Is it the travesty that some are making it out to be, not a chance.

So while not anywhere near perfect, I would still play this version above the original. I hope they improve the details lost in porting through patches, if not it wont stop me enjoying the game again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I believe that is what DX10 did for water. Or at least those water flow maps from dynamic objects...
I swear DX10 bioshock also supported MSAA (and hence modifiable SGSSAA through that with proper bits).
The Dx10 water trails are in the remaster. Obviously SGSSAA isn't supported, though.

edit: it looks like I am DLing it now to check it out. God damn install size for the new one is 'uge in comparison.

Could be mixing this up with something else but didn't DX9 have AA while DX10 didn't?.

NewDust

I notice how off the puddles of water looked in some video's... It's almost if someone has dropped enormous amount of gelatin around Rapture.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda surprising that the consoles can't hold 60fps. I ran the original at 60fps locked, down-sampled from 1440p on a GTX 570 years ago.

However, glitches aside, this seems like a much better experience than last gen versions for console only folks.

Akronis

Kinda surprising that the consoles can't hold 60fps. I ran the original at 60fps locked, down-sampled from 1440p on a GTX 570 years ago.

However, glitches aside, this seems like a better experience than last gen versions for console only folks.

Jaguar CPUs.

However, glitches aside, this seems like a better experience than last gen versions for console only folks.

A GTX 285 ran Bioshock at 1920x1200 at 60fps almost 8 years ago!

Kayhan

Its Shinobi. I like the guy and he brings the scoops, but if you threatened his dog with a gun and said, Shinobi my man im a kill your puppy unless you say something bad about a Playstation version of a game, he'll sit there and watch you shoot.

Savage.

Lister

Banned
The frame rate drops aren't really an issue are they? Well, excpe on xbox one where they mean screen tearing. But I mean, drops to 58 FPs meomentarily?

Common now. Who notices that?

Catvoca

Banned
Played about 6 hours of it on my PS4 yesterday and my personal experience has been great. Performance feels solid and yea I suppose some things like texture filtering are worse (and some different textures & lighting might not be to your tastes) but overall the image quality's good, haven't noticed any lower quality effects and the audio sounds mostly the same to me, not really worse. There's some new lighting, new geometry and things like NPCs and enemies look better.

Anyway, I only played the original on my 360 so this feels like a nice step up for me. Can't speak for the PC version, that seems to have more issues. The way some here are acting like this is some massive travesty is strange.

I had pretty much had the exact same experience. I actually thought it was a really good port until I went on gaf and saw people outraged by it. My only real issue was some audio bugs, but nothing too major.

Lister

Banned
I had pretty much had the exact same experience. I actually thought it was a really good port until I went on gaf and saw people outraged by it. My only real issue was some audio bugs, but nothing too major.

Well, it's a remaster. You kind of sorta have to compar eit to the original no? And in the comparison, it fails on certina areas which do affect immersion, at least for some.

There's nothing invalid about you or Shinobi's opinion that these changes don't bother you.

There's ALSO absolutley nothing wrong in being bothered by the changes too, since some are significant. Trying to be dismissive of those opinions and attmepting to paint them as some irrational "outrage over a travesty" speaks of an agenda more than anything else.

Arkanius

The thing that pisses me off the most is the complete botched audio quality of both games.
That's my main complaint.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What's so crazy about all this tech talk (which I like) is that I've played the collection on PS4 and thought it was a great port -- game looks great, runs well, and I personally didn't notice any tearing.

Not saying DF is wrong, but even with this knowledge of such a "poor port" I'm super excited to keep playing the collection.

Hmm...

Lister

Banned
Original Bioshock PC has OpenAL.

That's always a default win.

Didn't the original support EAX on PC? Which is infinitely superior (but note well supported now a days)?

I think OpenAL could atleast support some of the EAX effects though, especially on today's CPU's. I could be wrong about that though.

jelly

It could be worse, looks pretty good for the most part and they did put some effort into updating parts. The sound is more disappointing.

I think the disappointment is these remasters never truly excel and celebrate the games with the upmost care and attention to fixing, improving aspects and perfecting them.

It kinda makes you think if publishers don't care enough then why should we which is hard to do since we love the games and IP but maybe we should start and demand better instead of buying then complaining resulting in little to no fixes. Still annoyed at MCC.

Catvoca

Banned
Well, it's a remaster. You kind of sorta have to compar eit to the original no? And in the comparison, it fails on certina areas which do affect immersion, at least for some.

There's nothing invalid about you or Shinobi's opinion that these changes don't bother you.

There's ALSO absolutley nothing wrong to be bothered by the changes too, since some are significant.

Of course, I can totally understand people being dissappinted/annoyed at the remaster job, I just think it's important to put my experience out there because if I had just read this gaf thread then I'd think the port was a travesty and never touch it. It's kinda the same for something like the Sleeping Dogs current gen ports where people where calling it a garbage port because it was 30fps when they expected more, but for 90% of (console) people it's a good version of that game. This is a fine version of these games, better than the 360 and ps3 versions in most ways, even if it is lacking in some key aspects. Hopefully they patch up the bigger issues.

Also the directors commentary is really good, if you're on PC you should dig into the game files and watch them, there's some cool bits of info.

Left a comment in the video (thanks again John and DF!) and yeah.... I'm pretty lenient about these things but hot damn, I just can't ignore these issues

Also, what hell is up with the player's upper arms showing up in the frame now!? It's like even though they added the FOV options in there, they didn't take into account something like that... it's looks ridiculous at points.

Lister

Banned
Of course, I can totally understand people being dissappinted/annoyed at the remaster job, I just think it's important to put my experience out there because if I had just read this gaf thread then I'd think the port was a travesty and never touch it. It's kinda the same for something like the Sleeping Dogs current gen ports where people where calling it a garbage port because it was 30fps when they expected more, but for 90% of (console) people it's a good version of that game. This is a fine version of these games, better than the 360 and ps3 versions in most ways, even if it is lacking in some key aspects. Hopefully they patch up the bigger issues.

Also the directors commentary is really good, if you're on PC you should dig into the game files and watch them, there's some cool bits of info.

The commentary is pretty much the main thing making me want to play the remaster at this point vs the original with mods.

Tagyhag

It's a damn shame, looks like the best course of action is to just play the original PC version with the physics fix. I hope they patch things up though.

Top Bottom