• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

jorimt

First off, the Bioshock Remaster is running in DX11 at default. Also, the "Expanded FOV" option in the remaster appears to be a much wider FOV than the "Horizontal FOV Lock" (EDIT: just remembered Horizontal FOV Lock "On" is the lower FOV option in the original game; "Off" is the wider FOV that matches the remaster. I had it on for these comparisons, whoops) setting in the original game.

Below are a few comparisons that I just took between the two versions at the very beginning of the game (both max settings, 1440p) ...

2qB3.png

Original

Everything in the remaster appears to be superior to the original, but for the missing normal map/specular sheen missing in comparison #3 above, which is worrying; who knows what else is missing. Also, the horrible mouse input is identical to the original.

Stranya

The aim acceleration on PS4 is awful. *slow slow slow suddenly really fast*.

It immediately feels wrong, how did the devs not notice?! Needs a smooth acceleration, not sluggishness for most of the range and the a sudden ramp up in speed. Sigh.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i played a little of bioshock 1 recently and thought it held up well. so is this just adding new visuals? have they included any bug fixes? i got about half way through and encountered a game breaking bug and couldn't progress. hopefully it's fixed.

x-Lundz-x

It immediately feels wrong, how did the devs not notice?! Needs a smooth acceleration, not sluggishness for most of the range and the a sudden ramp up in speed. Sigh.

THANK YOU it's not just me. For me left acceleration is fine, it's the right acceleration that is off and it's driving me fucking crazy.

jorimt

Where is this .ini exactly, and is there anything else I should alter in the file?

I wouldn't bother messing with any graphical lines in the ini. I took a look at the original's ini, and the remaster's ini, and both have "DynamicShadowDetail" set to medium at max settings. It's probable that "High" doesn't exist, and may actually disable the setting entirely.

Below is the original's ini section:

Code:
[Engine.RenderConfig]
HDRSceneExpBias=-3
MaxSkeletalProjectorsPerActor=6
OffsetSkeletalProjectorRearFrustrumPlane=10.000000
UseSoftwareAntiAliasing=True
EdgeDetectCutoff=0.002000
EdgeBlurSize=0.500000
StreamingVisibleWeight=10.000000
StreamingDiffuseWeight=4.000000
StreamingBSPWeight=1.000000
StreamingEmissiveWeight=7.000000
StreamingLightmapWeight=5.000000
StreamingNormalmapWeight=1.000000
StreamingDynamicLoadedWeight=10.000000
StreamingDistanceScale=1000.000000
HighDetailShaders=True
Shadows=True
RealTimeReflection=True
PostProcessing=True
HardwareOcclusion=True
UseRippleSystem=True
UseHighDetailSoftParticles=True
UseSpecCubeMap=True
UseDistortion=True
HorizontalFOVLock=True
ForceGlobalLighting=False
CascadingWaterSimulationVelocity=10.000000
UseHighDetailPostProcEffects=True
UseMultithreading=True
DisableExtraAntiPortalClip=True
TextureDetail=High
FluidSurfaceDetail=High
[B][U]DynamicShadowDetail=Medium[/U][/B]

And here's the remaster:

Code:
[Engine.RenderConfig]
HDRSceneExpBias=-3
EdgeBlurSize=0.500000
HighDetailShaders=True
Shadows=True
RealTimeReflection=True
PostProcessing=True
HardwareOcclusion=True
UseRippleSystem=True
UseHighDetailSoftParticles=False
UseSpecCubeMap=True
UseDistortion=True
HorizontalFOVLock=True;
HorizontalFOVLockPS4=True;
HorizontalFOVLockXB1=True;
LevelOfAnisotropy=16
RenderDetail=3
UseMultithreadedRendering=0
UseVSync=0
UseFxaa=1
UseMultithreading=True
TextureDetail=High
FluidSurfaceDetail=High

Looks like they disabled high detail soft particles and multithreaded rendering in the remaster, for whatever reason.

I don't feel like the acceleration is off, instead to me it feels like turning right is just way slower than turning left. It also seems to randomly hitch a little bit during long turns. But spinning left is fast and fluid and perfect.

It's probably the most bizarre bug I've ever experienced in a game.

Stranya

I don't feel like the acceleration is off, instead to me it feels like turning right is just way slower than turning left. It also seems to randomly hitch a little bit during long turns. But spinning left is fast and fluid and perfect.

Turning is smooth if you keep the stick in one place. I meant when you move the right stick from dead to full range at a constant speed, the movement on screen is slow for ages and then suddenly speeds up.

x-Lundz-x

Yes this is exactly what I am experiencing and it's driving me nuts. I had to stop playing the game and wait for a patch. I hope this gets fixed soon.

David___

Banned
Screw it. Wanted to go through Bioshock 1 on survivor difficulty and the game crashed a second time when I got to the 1st Big Daddy encounter. Cant change the difficulty for whatever reason and I dont feel like starting over again

Gitaroo

I wouldn't bother messing with any graphical lines in the ini. I took a look at the original's ini, and the remaster's ini, and both have "DynamicShadowDetail" set to medium at max settings. It's probable that "High" doesn't exist, and may actually disable the setting entirely.

Below is the original's ini section:

Code:
[Engine.RenderConfig]
HDRSceneExpBias=-3
EdgeBlurSize=0.500000
HighDetailShaders=True
Shadows=True
RealTimeReflection=True
PostProcessing=True
HardwareOcclusion=True
UseRippleSystem=True
UseHighDetailSoftParticles=True
UseSpecCubeMap=True
UseDistortion=True
HorizontalFOVLock=True
UseMultithreading=True
TextureDetail=High
FluidSurfaceDetail=High

And here's the remaster:

Code:
[Engine.RenderConfig]
HDRSceneExpBias=-3
EdgeBlurSize=0.500000
HighDetailShaders=True
Shadows=True
RealTimeReflection=True
PostProcessing=True
HardwareOcclusion=True
UseRippleSystem=True
UseHighDetailSoftParticles=False
UseSpecCubeMap=True
UseDistortion=True
HorizontalFOVLock=True;
HorizontalFOVLockPS4=True;
HorizontalFOVLockXB1=True;
LevelOfAnisotropy=16
RenderDetail=3
UseMultithreadedRendering=0
UseVSync=0
UseFxaa=1
UseMultithreading=True
TextureDetail=High
FluidSurfaceDetail=High

Looks like they disabled high detail soft particles and multithreaded rendering in the remaster, for whatever reason.

probably use the exact same setting as the consoles ports with help the performance but didn't bother to change in PC version

A few observations between original Bioshock 1 and remastered

Cons of the remastered
- Stereo audio only. EAX 5.1 and 7.1 surround is gone (like KOTOR)
- Water effects are degraded
- Light shafts are toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Environmental smoke and fog is toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Forcing SGSSAA with Nvidia Inspector breaks dynamic shadows, light shafts, smoke, and some water effects
- Most shiny specular surfaces are toned way down
- Need to edit the .ini to max some settings ("DynamicShadowDetail=High" for example is default at Medium)
- Way less bubbles out of windows? (not positive)

Pros of remastered
- Improved lighting and contrast
- Higher res textures and some improved models
- 60fps physics by default (There's a simple mod that does it to the original version so it's not really a pro)
- Added sea life

Overall I personally prefer the original, but wish it had the some of the textures, models, and lighting of the remaster. I wish I could mod this game and choose what I want to change.

That was my bad. Light shafts and smoke are toned down, but they are there. I was forcing AA through Nvidia Inspector and that disabled a bunch of effects. So don't do that, lol. Overall it's a decent remaster, but no 5.1 or decent AA is killing me.

you can add SSAO on by default for the remaster, you need to turn off dx10 and use nVidia inspector for HBAO+ and it bleeds throught the smoke IRC.

I thought it was worth quoting this stuff as I don't think many people read the addendum's to Monticello's list of Pros and Cons.

Toa TAK

Banned
So are there water effects missing in BioShock 2 as well? I just went through the ending of Siren Alley and everything looked good there...

datsunzep

I've searched through the thread and didn't get a deifnitive answer.

How are people enabling DSR? Game isn't supported by Geforce experience AFAIK. I tried changing resolution to 3840x2160 in Bioshock.ini for fullscreen resolution, but am still getting max of 1080p under graphics options. Any help would be appreciated.

DOWN

Banned
How do we let the devs know specific issues we've spotted that need a patch? Like the missing AF?

First off, the Bioshock Remaster is running in DX11 at default. Also, the "Expanded FOV" option in the remaster appears to be a much wider FOV than the "Horizontal FOV Lock" setting in the original game.

Below are a few comparisons that I just took between the two versions at the very beginning of the game (both max settings, 1440p) ...

Everything in the remaster appears to be superior to the original, but for the missing normal map/specular sheen missing in comparison #3 above, which is worrying; who knows what else is missing. Also, the horrible mouse input is identical to the original.

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy because of the missing sheen. I knew the original looked better in that regard. It makes some of the textures in the remaster look muddy and washed out as all hell. Not happy about all the crashes I've been having either.

Jacknapes

My copy was at home, came in a nice box. What i noticed......

BPrCXb9.jpg

Rapture glows, move the box and it's got a hologram effect.

ike_

Wow, this remaster makes me wish I had played the original BioShock on console or a decent PC.

When you are dealing with weird/eerie art & visuals a decent frame rate adds a lot, and 60fps is particularly nice.

sueil

Awesome was playing through bioshock 1, was halfway done medical and went to save. The game crashed while saving, reset all my settings, and deleted my save.

I'm fucking done.

Sande

I could manage aiming wise, but it's actually making me a bit nauseated.

When something's not right the brain just knows, man.

Freeman76

Really enjoyed the first 2, 3rd one not so much. Will pick this up on ps4 when its a tenner, the price they want is a pisstake atm.

system11

I could manage aiming wise, but it's actually making me a bit nauseated.

When something's not right the brain just knows, man.

Happy I read this. Despite cancelling Amazon sent me the game anyway telling me I needed to refuse delivery or just post it back. I was starting to consider just opening it and keeping it but this would be an absolute killer, I'm very prone to motion sickness.

I think I understand the aiming issue a little better. It seems when turning right, if your even a fuckin micrometer above or below a perfect tilt, the sensetivity is treated like a vertical movement. This doesn't seem to happen at all when turning left, and if I maintain the stick dead center of a right turn it seems to match the speed of the left.

At least I think that's what's happening, idfk it's bizarre.

Stranya

I think I understand the aiming issue a little better. It seems when turning right, if your even a fuckin micrometer above or below a perfect tilt, the sensetivity is treated like a vertical movement. This doesn't seem to happen at all when turning left, and if I maintain the stick dead center of a right turn it seems to match the speed of the left.

At least I think that's what's happening, idfk it's bizarre.
What the hell! Bizarre indeed. I'm going to test this out tmrw.

Arkanius

These sound bugs are really irritating. Gonna have to hold off and hope for a patch.

Yeah

BioShock 1 sounds like I'm playing inside a tin can.
BioShock 2 has cuts and sounds not playing

The ports are both a mess and a disappointment. I was expecting the definitive versions... but this is not it.

leng jai

I'm pretty sure the original games had poor audio as well, Bioshock 2 definitely did. Not sure what the chance of a patch for that are.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Cruising on Survivor so far. I forgot how OP the Telekinesis plasmid is. Hurl any corpse at an enemy and they usually go down in one hit.

I feel like DOOM this year established the gold standard. There was a point where I turned off aim assist entirely and was able to continue to get accurate shots off. That game's sense of speed is like 2x that of most shooters, so it felt like a miracle that the controls felt as good as they did. Going from DOOM to Overwatch back in May felt like a step back into the mid-2000's in terms of actual analog tuning. I mean, it's not impossible to adjust, but DOOM felt like the PERFECT balance of speed and accuracy on an analog stick, and I'm really hoping we can kind of have developers take notice.

BioShock Remastered does feel like it's better than the 2007 original release to me, as I seem to recall playing with a gamepad feeling extremely fast and twitchy on Xbox 360. However, that feeling may have come from a combination of bad FOV settings and input lag from my display at the time -- back then I had no real sense to think about response time in my display selection, and I think the TV I had was pretty bad at it, as Rock Band and Guitar Hero would often calibrate around 100ms. May have lent to a sense that things were moving too fast. Remastered is still noticeably bad when it comes to its acceleration, but despite how sluggish it feels, I do feel like I'm landing shots a lot better than I was able to back in 2008 or so when I first played the game.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yoooo what's up with the game forgetting my settings! It loses my keybinds and drops the difficulty to medium!

wow i can't go back to a save where it's still on survivor. guess I just can't get the achievement now? fudge

Top Bottom