• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

Stranya

I feel like DOOM this year established the gold standard. There was a point where I turned off aim assist entirely and was able to continue to get accurate shots off. That game's sense of speed is like 2x that of most shooters, so it felt like a miracle that the controls felt as good as they did. Going from DOOM to Overwatch back in May felt like a step back into the mid-2000's in terms of actual analog tuning. I mean, it's not impossible to adjust, but DOOM felt like the PERFECT balance of speed and accuracy on an analog stick, and I'm really hoping we can kind of have developers take notice.
Totally agree on Doom, they absolutely nailed it. It's such an important thing to get right. For all its faults, CoD is another game with excellent aiming tuning.

kamspy

Bioshcok 1. PC

Audio sounds like a 96kbps mp3 played through an ear bud. If you turn it up to a good warm volume it becomes shrill and extremely hard on the ears.

Literally unplayable.

SkylineRKR

Bought this game on PS4. Not unhappy with it. I love Infinite and this is far better than the Ps3 version. Also never played Burial at Sea chapter 2. Played Infinite up to the shock jockey and its good.

Played Bioshock 1 until I got to Neptune and the audio is terrible as is the movement controls. But I like it better than I did on 360, thats because I play on Normal this time and on Hard the enemies became ridiculous bullet sponges. I mostly beat it with a maxed Wrench back then and it wasn't that fun (and actually really easy). I'm a sucker for different ammo types (Rage, Deus Ex) and BS1 has it too. Easily murdered the first BD, because I had scavenged quite a bit of Electric Buck. I forgot to turn chambers off though, they're shit and reload is better anyway.

Never played part 2, and some say its the best. I should try it.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I tried those .ini tweaks for better mouse movement and assets started disappearing and reappearing like crazy, as well as constant texture popping. I am positive I followed that reddit post line by line. So I'm reinstalling Bioshock as we speak and will just use the controller, oh well.

niTzqN8.jpg

Edit : reinstalled on my SSD and am still getting this BS. Uninstalling and playing Burial At Sea.

I had forgotten just how difficult Big Daddy's are on survivor mode. So far I've killed both by leading it to a rocket turret and then stunning it over and over while it gets hit by rockets. Feels like cheese but it's the only way the fuckers will die lol.

glow

Banned
Just started 1 on PC. So they made the game 3 times as big but the audio sounds like a 128kbps MP3?

It's almost as bad as Red Faction Guerilla where you could actually hear the sound clipping...

How did they archive the original audio elements? This is no remaster besides 1080/60 and a few minor bells and whistles

Luigi87

I tried those .ini tweaks for better mouse movement and assets started disappearing and reappearing like crazy, as well as constant texture popping. I am positive I followed that reddit post line by line. So I'm reinstalling Bioshock as we speak and will just use the controller, oh well.

Edit : reinstalled on my SSD and am still getting this BS. Uninstalling and playing Burial At Sea.
When you uninstalled, did you ensure to delete all the ini files?

Gator86

Totally agree on Doom, they absolutely nailed it. It's such an important thing to get right. For all its faults, CoD is another game with excellent aiming tuning.

Yup, Doom felt absolutely stellar. Halo 5 is the opposite. It's the only fps I've ever played where I see someone and am incapable of hitting what I'm aiming at. I'm guessing this is more halo 5...

Does the controller aiming on PC feel fucked up to anyone else? It's like it goes really slow and then all of a sudden becomes really fast. Like acceleration or something but I don't see a setting to turn it off.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Heh. This remaster made me realise I own Minerva's Den. I wasn't even aware until now

The audio quality on PC is horrendous

You talking about missing reverb or the actual sound quality? If it's the latter I tried copying the sound folder from the original release into the remaster folder and it loaded the audio just fine

pots555

I must be in the minority here, but no problems with the first game on the xbox one. It looks great and plays better than ever.

Stranya

Does the controller aiming on PC feel fucked up to anyone else? It's like it goes really slow and then all of a sudden becomes really fast. Like acceleration or something but I don't see a setting to turn it off.
It's the same on console. It's not a smooth acceleration curve. Really annoying.

JRW

The audio quality on PC is horrendous

Wow yeah not sure what happened there, I have a pretty sensitive audio setup (headphones + headphone amp connected to an X-Fi XtremeMusic sound-card) and the original Bioshock sounds 3x crisper and louder when loading back and forth between Original & Remastered version.

Wow, this game looks great at 144hz and with the high resolution textures. I need a patch for mouse speed asap, it's way to fast even at the lowest. Aside from that, it feels great to be back in Rapture, I think they did a great job overall!

mario_O

You talking about missing reverb or the actual sound quality? If it's the latter I tried copying the sound folder from the original release into the remaster folder and it loaded the audio just fine

Did it make any difference in the remaster?

leng jai

Heh. This remaster made me realise I own Minerva's Den. I wasn't even aware until now

So you can literally just cut and paste the sound folder from the old game and it works fine? If so I'm doing that.

Went to boot up Infinite....it has to install still? Lol. Whatever

Excited to hop back in. Sucks to hear that Bioshock 1 has some weirdness to the port but I have it on PC at least. Just stoked to be able to play my favorite games on my system of choice, performing better lol

Luigi87

IIRC, when BioShock 1/2 transitioned from GFWL to Steam, everyone who owned Bio2 got Minerva's Den for free.

def sim

The diminished audio quality in this is too distracting. I hope one of the fixes mentioned here works otherwise I'll just move on. :/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So you can literally just cut and paste the sound folder from the old game and it works fine? If so I'm doing that.

Yeah you can.

Did it make any difference in the remaster?

Not that I could hear, I mean just copy pasting audio files won't restore the missing EAX sound effects either. But if the actual quality of the sounds is lower than the original, it should improve things. But I don't think they should be considering the remaster's audio files are twice as big.

Bad7667

Bioshcok 1. PC

Audio sounds like a 96kbps mp3 played through an ear bud. If you turn it up to a good warm volume it becomes shrill and extremely hard on the ears.

Literally unplayable.

Yeah what is going on with the audio in this game? I don't remember the original game sounding this bad but maybe it did.

Also the mix of the audio is really bad at times. I can hear sounds that are far away like they are right next to me.

Still really enjoying playing through the game again but I can't believe how bad this remaster is for PC.

I'm stuck in the first game where the guy is trying to kill you with grenades and you have to catch them and throw them at the wall. He won't throw them at me, only in his little room. I've reloaded the save and I've killed myself and he still won't throw grenades at me :(

I can now confirm that I still really enjoy Infinite :)

Also I never was able to pull off the melee executions before (icon is too small and I didn't realize you have to hold it) so I'm doing it to everyone and it's glorious

I like the bonus season pass BS they throw you early on (golden pistol is the best) but I still hate that Lightning Punch gear. OP as fuck (in a bad way), janky/unsatisfying and ruins executions

Shooting pseudo Klan members in 60fps, living the dream here

Rellik

Yeah what is going on with the audio in this game? I don't remember the original game sounding this bad but maybe it did.

Also the mix of the audio is really bad at times. I can hear sounds that are far away like they are right next to me.

Still really enjoying playing through the game again but I can't believe how bad this remaster is for PC.

It was really bad in the original too. I'm not sure if this bad though.

sueil

The directors cut videos are just bink videos in the games install directory and I'm really enjoying just watching them in a row instead of trying to find them in the game.

Load times are drastically improved in Infinite. I remember them being really terrible on PS3 (I like the song but it would play so long and repeat that it'd get irritating) Seem to be a handful of seconds here (though maybe shit just gives up around Chen Lin, lol)

sueil

I've gone back to the original pc releases instead of the remasters. I'm liking them a lot better than the remasters.

etta

my hard graphic balls
They better fix the sound issues.
Why did they even change anything if they weren't determined to only improve for fucks sakes, should've just used the PC versions at 1080p/60 and fix the physics.
Christ, between this and Batman, they are fucking with these epic franchises.

sueil

They better fix the sound issues.
Why did they even change anything if they weren't determined to only improve for fucks sakes, should've just used the PC versions at 1080p/60 and fix the physics.
Christ, between this and Batman, they are fucking with these epic franchises.

The original PC version with EAX is night and day compared to the remaster. Even non EAX its a pretty big gulf. Everything just sounds bad in the new version.

gfxtwin

I'm playing through the OG Bioshock now and I like how much sharper the textures are, but the lack of bump mapping kinda takes away from the immersion. There were two places where it was really noticable - The steps of the lighthouse and that hallway where you see the shadow of the spider splicer as you're entering Neptune's bounty. the one with the fire casting her shadow on the wall. The lighting was more dynamic in the original and the wall was less flat and bland looking. It's like they tried to make the game look more like infinite at times, which looked more stylized and slightly more cartoony (Elizabeth and dat disney princess face) instead of building on the look of the original. Still, there are more improvements overall, just wished there was as much bump mapping. The character models though are DRAMATICALLY better. Look as good or better as Infinite's, which I'm really happy about.

I feel like DOOM this year established the gold standard. There was a point where I turned off aim assist entirely and was able to continue to get accurate shots off. That game's sense of speed is like 2x that of most shooters, so it felt like a miracle that the controls felt as good as they did. Going from DOOM to Overwatch back in May felt like a step back into the mid-2000's in terms of actual analog tuning. I mean, it's not impossible to adjust, but DOOM felt like the PERFECT balance of speed and accuracy on an analog stick, and I'm really hoping we can kind of have developers take notice.

The analog aiming in that game is a dang fluke, I tell ya what. I wonder why so many FPS games don't feel that smooth. Literally can't think of any other FPS where the shooting mechanics were that responsive, ha.

sueil

I keep getting repeating lines of dialogue? And it takes FOREVER for the map to come up.

Yup that happens. It's a real piece of shit. I'm glad the remaster happened because the behind the scenes videos with Ken Levine are really awesome. Gameplay wise I am just going to play the originals.

ktroopa

Ok it seems on PS4 there are also audio problems. Im getting splicers talking when they are not nearby. Also when you enter the kashmir restaurant after getting the pistol from the pram, there is a guy below you banging on a door to the kitchen asking to be let in - that audio plays and sometimes doesnt as you approach the guy or stairs leading down to him. Its very inconsistent :/ patch is needed for sure

I've played 2 hours of Bioshock and 3 of BioInfinite on PS4 without any serious issues.

The analog aiming in that game is a dang fluke, I tell ya what. I wonder why so many FPS games don't feel that smooth. Literally can't think of any other FPS where the shooting mechanics were that responsive, ha.

Titanfall 2 feels really great too. I wish developers would take time to fine-tune their aiming settings beyond sensibility adjustements.

Lister

Banned
I don't understand.

How can they start with game X, and make it WORSE than it in the end, when the entire endeavor is to IMPROVE upon it? Even if only marginally.

And these must have been deliberate changes too. I don't see this being just a big: woopsie, sorry, we didn't notice, our bad.

Someone said: Yeah, let's rip out the bump mapping, the shading for the wetness/shininess of the walls. Yes, replace all the audio files with 8 bit 128 kbps mp3 files, why not? What are these cool graphical effects doing here? Take them out too! EAX? The hell is that, it sound like the devil's work! Off with it's head!

Someone explain this to me.

aravuus

Alright, original it is for the first game, then. Flat water I can accept, but even worse audio is too much. Hopefully the Bioshock 2 Remaster is better.

Bastables

Alright, original it is for the first game, then. Flat water I can accept, but even worse audio is too much. Hopefully the Bioshock 2 Remaster is better.
Note that the remaster has the water in the eyes effect, which the original is missing. In the original when the door buckles after you climb through the tail plane the original has a flat texture bisecting the screen. The remaster blurs your eyes with a water effect similar to bioshock 2.

The electricity plasmid light source cast shadows as opposed to the dull blue circle glow that cuts out when too close to walls of the original.

Arkanius

The audio is also destroyed in BIoShock 2 for some reason.
But apparently it was the same pre-remaster.

Just sounds bad for me. Ambient effects are 100% well positioned and well balanced. Player and enemy sounds are completely out of whack (silent or non existing)

Top Bottom