• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare founders awarded the Order of Canada for 'revolutionary' impact on videogames

EssKayZee

Source: PCGamer

Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka were recognized with one of Canada's highest honors.

[F]or their "revolutionary contributions to the videogame industry as a developer and co-founder of an internationally renowned studio," Her Excellency the Right Honorable Julie Payette, Governor General of Canada [...] named them members of the Order of Canada, "the cornerstone of the Canadian honors system."

Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka co-founded BioWare in Edmonton, Alberta, in 1995, shortly after graduating from medical school.

[They] left BioWare, and the games industry, in 2012, five years after the studio's acquisition by Electronic Arts.

MrRogers

Source: PCGamer

Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka were recognized with one of Canada's highest honors.

Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka co-founded BioWare in Edmonton, Alberta, in 1995, shortly after graduating from medical school.

[They] left BioWare, and the games industry, in 2012, five years after the studio's acquisition by Electronic Arts.

They deserve it. Bioware was solid under their control, since they left.. well its all gone to shite

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I'm not surprised that Canada would give SJW developers this award.
I could be wrong, but this award was given to the founders of Bioware. They sold the company 5 years ago. I believe Bioware went “Fuck money. Let’s drive our IPs into the ground” post these guys.

Geki-D

Banned
Ah, gotcha. They're not super political?
The last Bioware game these guys would have saw being made was maybe Mass Effect 3. I'm not really familiar with Bioware all that much so were their games back then already super SJW'y?

Last edited:

Humdinger

Ah, gotcha. They're not super political?
I'm not really familiar with Bioware all that much so were their games back then already super SJW'y?
I don't think so. I mean, they were "inclusive" in the sense of including options for gay romances, but that wasn't a big deal -- those were more a source of fun and laughs than outrage. It wasn't the intrusive, agenda-pushing stuff we associate with SJWs now. The founders bailed out years before that stuff became a strong presence in gaming. Otoh, I can see how their reasonably progressive/inclusive history could have set the studio up for undue PC/SJW influence down the road.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I'm totally cool with the doctors getting awards but not the BioWare of today though. Especially BioWare Montreal which thankfully will never happen since they no longer exist.

Top Bottom