• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bipartisan effort to speed approval cancer drugs for kids passes, 1 no vote in Senate

KSweeley

A bipartisan effort to speed approval of cancer drugs for kids passes the Senate with 1 no vote coming from Senator Bernie Sanders, Trump expected to sign bill: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...d-van-hollen-cancer-drugs-20170803-story.html

The Senate gave final approval to a measure backed by Sen. Chris Van Hollen that would speed approval of cancer drugs for children.

The bipartisan measure, approved by the House in July, was attached to legislation that will allow the Silver Spring-based Food and Drug Administration to continue to collect fees from pharmaceutical companies to pay for drug reviews.

”No childhood should be interrupted by a struggle for survival, but cancer tragically puts far too many kids in Maryland and across the country in a battle for their lives," Van Hollen, a Maryland Democrat said in a statement. ”The legislation will modernize drug development regulations to help build on the progress being made at institutions like the National Institutes of Health."

The Senate passed the bill 94-1, with independent Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont the only ‘no' vote.

”Pediatric cancer is a leading cause of death by disease among children and yet children do not have the same number of treatment options as adults," Rubio said in a statement. ”This bill will help fix that."

President Donald J. Trump is expected to sign the legislation.

cameron

Anyone wanna try to explain to me why Bernie would vote against this?
AP: Senate passes legislation to ensure no halt in FDA reviews
The legislation covers much more than user fees. In a bid to improve treatment options for children in cancer, the bill requires companies developing cancer drugs for adults to also study their suitability for children when there is an indication it could help kids as well.

Patient groups say there is little market incentive for the pharmaceutical industry to develop pediatric oncology drugs because the population is small compared to the adult population. Most drugs used for pediatric cancer were specifically approved for adults, and the advocacy group Kids v Cancer reports that there are almost 900 drugs in the adult cancer pipeline, but only a handful in development for children.

The bill also instructs the FDA to revise its regulations to establish a category of hearing aids that could be sold without a prescription. The idea behind the change is to give people with mild to moderate hearing loss greater access to hearing aids in the same way that people can buy reading glasses. Supporters said the measure will drive down the cost of hearing aids.

The lone "no" vote came from Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. Spokesman Josh Miller-Lewis said Sanders voted no because the bill "does nothing to lower drug prices and is a giveaway to the pharmaceutical industry."

Fat4all

Banned
Probably because there's no provision keeping the pharm companies from charging whatever they want for these drugs. He's big on price controls for mess.

aren't pharama companies already looking to avoid another Mylan-EpiPen scenario?

aren't pharama companies already looking to avoid another Mylan-EpiPen scenario?

In the US you pay about twice as much for the same procedures and drugs as comparable developed nations.

Thats literally the reason why no healthcare system that deliveres adequate care to everyone can be cost effctive in the US.

Long way to go before something like single payer or universal healthcare become even theoretically feasible.

I was thinking before I clicked on the thread- "Lol, don't tell me it's Bernie again- OH."

I'm starting to think his strategy is to vote 'no' on everything- If it works out in the future, no harm no foul. If it doesn't, he gets to claim moral high ground.

fushi

Bernie's reasoning makes sense. Not sure why you are shitting on a guy for having political principles.

Xe4

Banned
I'm really glad the bill passed, drug regulations are a mess, and for something as important as cancer research, we should be trying to get it through four stage testing in the most efficient, safe way possible.

l knew Sanders was the no vote the second saw the thread. It's his shtick to vote no on popular bills on specific ideological grounds.

It's whatever. The bill passed which is what's important. In a vote that matters, I better see Sanders vote yes though. It's the same standard I hold anyone to, vote whatever the fuck you feel like pleases your constituents or personal ideological goals when it doesn't matter. But the second a vote does matter you best get your ass in your seat and vote in line with your party (or caucus or coalition or w/e).

Still, you know he's got a safe seat, because if he was at all at risk he would've voted yes. The look of voting against cancer fighting drugs for kids is mind bogglingly bad.

Reuters is reporting that Wal-Mart, Walgreens and CVS is leading the decrease of drug pricing in the U.S., generic drug pricing could decrease as much as 9% by the end of this year alone: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amerisourcebergen-results-idUSKBN1AJ1FK

Without non-profit insurance companies who are negotiating prices directly with pharmaceutical companies, it will never be enough.

Pharmaceutical companies will miss out on billions upon billions of pure profit.
Meaning that they are willing spend ungodly amounts of money to lobby politicians in order to prevent a system like all the countries with working univerasal healthcare systems have.

Preezy

Regardless of his reasons for doing so, Sanders being the only person to vote no on kids getting cancer drugs looks really fucking bad. Such a goon.

Regardless of his reasons for doing so, Sanders being the only person to vote no on kids getting cancer drugs looks really fucking bad. Such a goon.
Why do you say regardless of reason? The reason matters a good bit. You can't just ignore the why behind someone's actions.

Preezy

Why do you say regardless of reason? The reason matters a good bit. You can't just ignore the why behind someone's actions.
Of course and I agree with you, but sadly the huge majority of people won't stop to read the reasons behind it, they'll just see the headline.

Paz

This is the problem with American politics though, you get awful shit named like "The Patriot Act" and how are you supposed to vote against that? I remember the russia sanctions bill thread with everyone WTFing at Bernie's no vote until it was revealed that republicans jammed a bunch of Iran sanctions in for no reason.

It's all so fucked up.

KSweeley

I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans create a Sanders attack ad and the ad says that Bernie Sanders doesn't care if children with cancer dies, and it mentions front and center that Bernie Sanders was the only Senator to vote no on a bipartisan bill to speed up approval of kids cancer drugs.

Just curious and sorry for the OT post, but because I know that medicine is expensive in America, roughly how much would 20 anti-biotic tablets cost in the US?

I hope none of you have any delusions Bernie could win in 2020, especially after this. The optics are horrific.

Yeah Trump looked great.

Red

I hope none of you have any delusions Bernie could win in 2020, especially after this. The optics are horrific.
You're right. If the past two years have shown us anything, it's that the optics of a single decision are vitally important to a candidate's chances.

aeolist

Banned
it's hilarious to me how much hate sanders gets from people here, considering that he's the most popular politician in the country

you guys are so out of touch

Sanders is an idealist. He voted against a measure that would be a half assed fix in a broken system. But it would uphold the system he is fighting against.

His idealism is literally the reason why ppl like him.
They are tired of the pragmatism the rest of the democratic party uses to excuse the fact that there is no systemic progress on issues like healthcare, education etc.
People on the left and the right are tired of babystepping on the spot.

Thatswhy you see idealists and populists becoming more relevant on both sides.

Boney

Banned
Yeah exactly. Better to get it now and address the price issue later.
The problem is there's no "later" and bankrupting families trying to save their children is such a bad half measure that you should try to control that problem at the same time.

Red

The problem is there's no "later" and bankrupting families trying to save their children is such a bad half measure that you should try to control that problem at the same time.

Oh shit, sorry, I didn't know that the price of medication has never changed in the US.

It's insanity to me that the US still doesn't have universal healthcare.

Khaz

Because he's choosing to exercise those principles by denying cancer drugs to sick kids.

Fuck those principles.

He's not? He is a proponent of giving cancer drugs to kids at a fair price. This law isn't about helping kids as much as it is to open a lucrative market for big pharma.

You fell into the trap of demonisation.

Call me a skeptic but the fact that every republican, who, just a week ago, voted to kick 20 million people off of insurance in a single year, increase premiums 20% year over year, all for the sake of a tax cut for the weathy voted for this, leads me to believe this bill does not do what it actually says it does

Jyester

Because he's choosing to exercise those principles by denying cancer drugs to sick kids.

Fuck those principles.
What a useless, reductive take on the situation. Stunningly superficial.

Fuck Sanders for actually looking at the root cause of the issue, right?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Fuck those principles.

this is exactly how these things are designed to get that sort of emotional response.

As someone said above it's why you end up with "The Patriot Act" a few weeks after 9/11 because who is going to vote against that?

This is the problem with American politics though, you get awful shit named like "The Patriot Act" and how are you supposed to vote against that? I remember the russia sanctions bill thread with everyone WTFing at Bernie's no vote until it was revealed that republicans jammed a bunch of Iran sanctions in for no reason.

It's all so fucked up.

Indeed. It's insane to me how many people look things like that over or just haven't a clue.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
What a useless, reductive take on the situation. Stunningly superficial.

Fuck Sanders for actually looking at the root cause of the issue, right?

Blind hatred for Bernie overrules any reason or logic.

"B-b-b-but he made it more difficult for the queen to not get elected."

sojour

Just curious and sorry for the OT post, but because I know that medicine is expensive in America, roughly how much would 20 anti-biotic tablets cost in the US.

Not sure about 20. But a treatment of antibiotics (usually a week's dose, so about 7) from a name brand cost my mom 90 bucks without insurance when I was younger (more than 10 years ago). Not sure about now or generic varieties. Tag that with a 60 dollar doctor office fee. 150 bucks to get rid of a fever.

gtj1092

Hopefully it works out for the best. But the real message I get whenever bills like this pass so quickly is that democracy and progress don't have to be slow. It just chooses to be when convenient.

Top Bottom