• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and You: Navigating the Future of Tech (a NeoGAF discussion thread)

Liberty4all

Banned
Techniclly, gold has but BTC still has to meet all three to be recognized a medium of exchange, confidence plays a key role in currencies.
I am a huge precious metals fan and miners stock too.

I prefer crypto mainly as I feel that on a post apocalypse situation i would get robbed and die anyways. So my "exit from the financial system" preps are based on the idea that after a financial collapse the power will still be on and security available to those who can afford it.

Best case scenario we get a digital fedcoin backed by a basket of real money including gold, silver, btc, ltc and eth. That kind of scenario means those holding those currencies, holding "whole" coins end up rich. Where 0.1 LTC buys hundreds or thousands of FedCoin.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I am a huge precious metals fan and miners stock too.

I prefer crypto mainly as I feel that on a post apocalypse situation i would get robbed and die anyways. So my "exit from the financial system" preps are based on the idea that after a financial collapse the power will still be on and security available to those who can afford it.

Best case scenario we get a digital fedcoin backed by a basket of real money including gold, silver, btc, ltc and eth. That kind of scenario means those holding those currencies, holding "whole" coins end up rich. Where 0.1 LTC buys hundreds or thousands of FedCoin.

Goodluck man, my opinion is that crypto won't go anywhere and will trade within a band for years but surprises can happen. Just keep your portfolio diversified.

Ascend

Some Twitter analysts saying there could be a possible retrace to around 26K
To me that seems like quite a random number. Right now we seem to be holding ~33.5k as support, which was the previous short term resistance. If that breaks, I don't see any major support until 24k, and then 20k. 26k was weaker resistance than 32k, so if 32k breaks, I don't expect 26k to hold.

As of now, I'm watching to see what the price will do in this rebound. We're forming a double tweezer bottom on the daily, with the wicks touching the 21 daily moving average, which normally is a bullish sign. Today's candle is far from closing though, so, it might look completely differently in a few hours. If we fail to break and hold 35k again in the upcoming days, I expect us to drop all the way to 20k.

Be ready.

Ascend

hope yall bought the dip.
I bought a bunch of ETH at $130 US and BTC at multiple points below 15k. I didn't have to buy the dip, and I found it too risky to buy right now. I did get a bit of Solana though.

Edit: Ravencoin has bullish divergence on the weekly. I forgot that I mined a bunch of it. Time to put my trading bot to work.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Don't you guys think we will have considerable resistance in the 40k/41k? I imagine many new people bought at this level because of FOMO, got very scared because of the dip and want to sell as soon as the price gets there again.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Watching ETH price like a hawk. Should have cashed out a few days ago but hoping it hits a new all-time high, was so close. Probably letting my greed get the better of me but fuck it.

Ascend

This has motivated me to buy units of a really cheap cryptocurrency in the hopes that its worth will multiply by the thousands years from now. So, I just bought a little over $30.00 of XRP a few minutes ago.
Dude...

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

And everything that was lost last week is pretty much back.

Don't worry boys we gonna hit some more bumps along the road just gotta be stronk. The big one is coming in December so hold onto your butts until then.
Likely the big is indeed still coming, but don't celebrate yet. This can be a double top. We're getting a bunch of rejections at 40k right now. I'd say that this is a second chance to take some profits. The price is rising on declining volume.

Ascend

I'm not naive; I'm not getting my hopes up, which is why I bought only $30.00 worth.
One of the first things you should know; the value of the coin itself does not matter much. Whether it is 10k or 0.0001 cents, if it increases 100%, your gains will be 100%. If it decreases 50%, your loss will be 50%.

You would have been better off buying Cardano, most likely. Or VeChain...

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting event that will highly likely affect the price of XRP. Maybe it flies, maybe it dumps. I'm not trying to scare you, but you should know that you bought XRP at one of the riskiest times. There is still a chance it turns out well, and I hope it does.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
One of the first things you should know; the value of the coin itself does not matter much. Whether it is 10k or 0.0001 cents, if it increases 100%, your gains will be 100%. If it decreases 50%, your loss will be 50%.

You would have been better off buying Cardano, most likely. Or VeChain...

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting event that will highly likely affect the price of XRP. Maybe it flies, maybe it dumps. I'm not trying to scare you, but you should know that you bought XRP at one of the riskiest times. There is still a chance it turns out well, and I hope it does.

I'm well aware that there is currently a financial scandal concerning XRP; I did a quick Google search before I bought units of it.

Its current risky state could be a good thing...or not. Anyhow, it's only $30.00.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Dude...

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Likely the big is indeed still coming, but don't celebrate yet. This can be a double top. We're getting a bunch of rejections at 40k right now. I'd say that this is a second chance to take some profits. The price is rising on declining volume.

I am sure its all true, but I am HODLng till next NOV/DEC. What goes up will come down, and what goes down will go back up (unless its a SHITcoin). So if it drops again at 40K it will pop back up.

My expectation is 100K+ peaking NOV/DEC and then probably a huge crash for the next year or so. So I will hold on until then and cash out.

Can't let these huge swings stress me out, thats Crypto. One day up by 30%, next day down by 40%.

This has motivated me to buy units of a really cheap cryptocurrency in the hopes that its worth will multiply by the thousands years from now. So, I just bought a little over $30.00 of XRP a few minutes ago.

I hope this is a satire post. but maybe you will be laughing at all of us if XRP wins their court case and it pumps yuge.

Good luck bro.

Ascend

I'm well aware that there is currently a financial scandal concerning XRP; I did a quick Google search before I bought units of it.

Its current risky state could be a good thing...or not. Anyhow, it's only $30.00.
It's better to learn your lesson with $30 than with $300 or $3000, that's for sure lol.

I am still curious why you picked XRP over everything else.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It's better to learn your lesson with $30 than with $300 or $3000, that's for sure lol.

I am still curious why you picked XRP over everything else.

It had the highest peak value ($3.84) compared to several other cryptocurrencies that I saw on Coinbase (e.g. Stellar Lumens, NuCypher, etc).

Ascend

It had the highest peak value ($3.84) compared to several other cryptocurrencies that I saw on Coinbase (e.g. Stellar Lumens, NuCypher, etc).
That makes sense, compared to XLM. NuCypher however, is relatively new and is not exactly fair to compare XRP to it. But if that's what you want to base your investments on, here's something to help you;

Edit: You can sort the coins by percentage lost from All time high, and they'll be displayed in that order. I have some ICX myself, based on this.

Last edited:

Ascend

Another pullback for BTC. Multiple scenarios from here...

We have a double top possibility. We have a lower high, and a stronger rejection from 40k as of now, than we had at 42k. If this plays out, a retracement to about 28k is expected.

Another possibility is that we are forming an ascending triangle, if we go up again at a higher low than before (above 30k). This is also a bullish sign. If this plays out, I expect a break-out in the middle of next week, with the higher probability being a break to the upside. If we fall below 32k for more than a few hours in the upcoming days, this is invalidated.

If we keep swinging back and forth between 34k and 40k, we're moving sideways, i.e. accumulating before the next run up. It can also become a pennant formation creating a bull flag. As long as we remain above 34k without forming a descending triangle, we'll be fine.

A descending triangle is a current potential pattern due to the lower high (40k) compared to the previous run up (42k). But if this is the case, it will take a little while to form. It should break down in about two weeks, so, we have a bit of time to see how things develop for this one.

Another scenario is that this is the start of a C wave, part of an ABC correction wave. The C wave tends to go lower than the A wave (which was the previous pullback to 30k, and the B wave being the rally we just saw). If we drop below 34k, the likelihood of this one increases. If we drop below 30k, this one is pretty much confirmed, and then I expect a drop to close to 20k.

tl;dr
Pray to god that 34K holds.

Last edited:

OmegaHunter

Neo Member
I dropped a significant amount into BTC at 18 K a coin. Feels good right now, it seems the worst case scenario people are discussing is a retracement back to the 20 K level, I would hodl through that sort of thing with ease. Its kind of blowing my mind how many people are confident we will see 6 figure BTC at some point in 2021. I feel like if BTC hits even 95 K I'm selling everything and not looking back until it crashes so hard their is blood in the streets.

At which point I'll happily buy back in!

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I can’t buy cardano or polkadot on Coinbase. What would you guys recommend using instead?

I can’t buy cardano or polkadot on Coinbase. What would you guys recommend using instead?
Unfortunately, the best exchange to buy alts is generally Binance. Though it hurts me to recommend, it is generally the easiest. If you were looking for ERC-20's or any wrapped ether coins I would recommend UniSwap just watch out for the gas fees.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Unfortunately, the best exchange to buy alts is generally Binance. Though it hurts me to recommend, it is generally the easiest. If you were looking for ERC-20's or any wrapped ether coins I would recommend UniSwap just watch out for the gas fees.
I went there and found I created an account in 2017. Never bought anything though.

It looks like regular Binance is closed to US users now, and I have to create a new account on binance.us, a separate platform.

Why the hard time recommending binance? Is there anything I should be cautious about.

Ascend

I went there and found I created an account in 2017. Never bought anything though.

It looks like regular Binance is closed to US users now, and I have to create a new account on binance.us, a separate platform.

Why the hard time recommending binance? Is there anything I should be cautious about.
Short version (and not the only one). They are trying to make everything centralized for themselves. It goes against the decentralized aspect of crypto.

Ascend Ascend Pretty much hit it dead on,

Not to mention the fact they offer 125x leverage when trading, or have lied about where their HQ is actually based out of multiple times. Binance isn't a bad platform, just personally don't agree with the business model. Plus, if you are in the US I would honestly try and stay away from trying to trade random altcoins.

Ascend

Is any one looking at gold?
It's a good place to save your money if you are not willing to risk it on bitcoin.
Check out the last two decades history of the price of gold.
Just to follow up on this... In case you're in the crypto market and want gold, just like there are stable coins, there are coins pegged to gold, like Paxos Gold.

Last edited:

Ascend

what are some good long-term alts to hold? ADA, LINK, XLM, ENJ, DOT, ALGO maybe?
The majority of coins in the top 100 are good long term holds. If I had to pick a top 5, I'd pick ETH, DOT, LINK, VET, XMR.
Honorable mentions (in random order) are SOL, ICX, XLM, QTUM, ZIL, ADA.

Note that those have their own chain and are not based on ETH, except LINK since it's an oracle. If we're gonna talk ERC20 tokens, the list grows a lot larger.

Not financial advice.

Last edited:

Ascend

Descending triangle is forming... We NEED to break above 38k in the upcoming pump (if there is one) and remain higher. Otherwise, this will get ugly. 34K is still holding, but it can fail at any moment. Even if we pump again, this is the 5th time we went to test 34k, while 40k, we retested it only once. So the downward pressure is currently stronger than the upward one.

Descending triangle is forming... We NEED to break above 38k in the upcoming pump (if there is one) and remain higher. Otherwise, this will get ugly. 34K is still holding, but it can fail at any moment. Even if we pump again, this is the 5th time we went to test 34k, while 40k, we retested it only once. So the downward pressure is currently stronger than the upward one.
the 2017 cycle had five 30% or more dips within its entire bull run. this bull run has not even had one yet. iirc there was like a 20ish and 25ish percent drop. significant surely, but in reality when looking at history nothing too terrible in the grand scheme of things. just healthy movement.

V4skunk

Banned
Just to follow up on this... In case you're in the crypto market and want gold, just like there are stable coins, there are coins pegged to gold, like Paxos Gold.

Why would any one buy a crypto based on gold when you get real gold?

Top Bottom