• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert JP OBT is live- Facebook registration & English patch available

Nzyme32

The game certainly looks good, but I'm pretty interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on whether it is actually a good game

docbon

I think I followed all the steps correctly. I'll play a bit of it tomorrow with a friend. Hopefully my hype won't be crushed.

How are servers set up, btw? Are there multiple realms, and if so, where are you guys rolling your characters on?

Keasar

How is the difficulty now? Latest reports I've heard from Steparu have been that they have turned down the difficulty of bosses and the game overall to the point that its extremely easy, which saddens me a lot. :(

*looks at race list*

Elf

Human

Big Ugly Human (Giant)

...Yeah, not interested. MMOs just aren't worth it without Beast Races.
You can't play them, but here is a video of a village of adorable otter people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5zHKxq1DXQ

For anyone interested, I recommend checking Steparu's Youtube channel for videos. Steparu records tons of 1080p 60fps videos of Black Desert in highest settings.

Cirruss

Nice to see that the translation patch includes some quest translation too now. Are all the quests translated or is it just a few of them?

Jijidasu

Some things I like and don't like about the game.

One glaring issue is the lack of armor designs thus far. Everyone looks the same so far at Lv.28. I believe there are actually different armour designs but they come later, or they haven't been found yet.

Combat is fun. It's flashy and looks pretty. Lots of options for character growth.

Difficulty wise - I haven't died once yet. I either run away or dodge more carefully when I feel at risk.

I found a tree house village moments ago.
auHCXho.jpg

Qvoth

my pc is i5 2500k with 7850 video card
can i run this at medium graphical settings? not sure i'll bother at low settings :<

Liseda

Site is hammered like fuck, wow.
I'm actually surprised I'm getting good speeds from the download server though.
And if someone is looking for a cheap alternative instead of a free insecure (probably slow) VPN, I'll personally just pay hourly for a VPS @ vultr.com and tunnel through it, they have Japanese ones.

Sectus

There's been a lot of news about the game lately with the Korean version. They're getting close to having all or most classes available as both genders. They recently added Valkyrie, who's a female warrior. She doesn't have an identical moveset to the warrior, but it's similar. They also recently added Blader and Female Blader (in this case, the female Blader is almost identical to the male one). Later this month they'll be adding male and female Wizard, and then sometime in June or July they'll be adding Valencia, a large region containing the Black Desert.

The Japanese version currently lacks 3 classes (Blader, Valkyrie, and Female Blader) and the Media region, but I don't think it's that far behind with patches. In the Korean version, they recently changed font rendering and made the "vibrant" filter default (I think those things happened about a month ago), and they're both in the Japanese version. So I think the Japanese version is fairly up to date version-wise, they're just holding back some content so they can release it with a specific schedule.

Since I take too many screenshots of the game when playing it, here's a bunch of them (these are of the Korean version):
tumblr_nny3jqfVsi1tiz823o4_1280.png

tumblr_nny3jqfVsi1tiz823o2_1280.png

tumblr_nny3otptWi1tiz823o2_1280.png

tumblr_nny3otptWi1tiz823o8_1280.png

tumblr_nn111pHbPP1tiz823o4_1280.png

tumblr_nn111pHbPP1tiz823o6_1280.png

tumblr_nny3jqfVsi1tiz823o3_1280.png

tumblr_nny3otptWi1tiz823o1_1280.png

Sectus

How is the difficulty now? Latest reports I've heard from Steparu have been that they have turned down the difficulty of bosses and the game overall to the point that its extremely easy, which saddens me a lot. :(

Most of the early game is pretty easy. Once you're level 25 or something, then you'll notice enemies start hurting a lot and the game is basically forcing you to play the game as intended. But even at that stage it can feel easy if you're playing in a party or if your gear is over-leveled.

If you want to make the game difficult as possible, I'd suggest you don't try to rely on health potions so much. Potions are cheap in this game, with a low cool down (3 seconds), and it can feel tempting to brute force your way through some fights by just drinking potions constantly. It's more satisfying if you find ways of fighting enemies where you don't get hit as much or at all.

All the endgame bosses are very challenging if you fight them alone, but they can become easy if you're in a party or if you're over-leveled.

Nice to see that the translation patch includes some quest translation too now. Are all the quests translated or is it just a few of them?

Practically the entire game is in English, but most of the English patch is translated via Google Translate or something similar. So you'll come across a lot of quest text which looks like weird "Engrish" gibberish. It makes it amusing to read quest dialogue, but don't expect to understand what's actually going on.

Some things I like and don't like about the game.

One glaring issue is the lack of armor designs thus far. Everyone looks the same so far at Lv.28. I believe there are actually different armour designs but they come later, or they haven't been found yet.

Is the cash shop up for the Japanese version yet? The visual variety for armour only exists in two places: high-end armour, and cash shop costumes. Unfortunately, most armour you get before then either looks the same or very similar.

Jijidasu

@Sectus - No cash shop yet. I anticipate some kind of announcement this week though.

Nice to hear there are some different armour varieties if even only at the higher levels.

Ashodin

Downloading korean client now, can't wait to patch and make my character.

Does anyone know if there's unlimited time at the creation screen?

UnrealEck

Can you play as a male character? I think I've only seen people posting screens of females. It's reminding me of virtually every single modded Skyrim screenshot in existence.

Ashodin

Can you play as a male character? I think I've only seen people posting screens of females. It's reminding me of virtually every single modded Skyrim screenshot in existence.
In games like these you attract those players who love to create their ideal female to play as.

But yes you can play as a male, a huge brute ogre of a man too!

RK9039

Yes, I think there are gender locked classes. All the Giants are males.

Keasar

Most of the early game is pretty easy. Once you're level 25 or something, then you'll notice enemies start hurting a lot and the game is basically forcing you to play the game as intended. But even at that stage it can feel easy if you're playing in a party or if your gear is over-leveled.

If you want to make the game difficult as possible, I'd suggest you don't try to rely on health potions so much. Potions are cheap in this game, with a low cool down (3 seconds), and it can feel tempting to brute force your way through some fights by just drinking potions constantly. It's more satisfying if you find ways of fighting enemies where you don't get hit as much or at all.

All the endgame bosses are very challenging if you fight them alone, but they can become easy if you're in a party or if you're over-leveled.

Sounds like it would be fairly easy then to ramp it up like increasing the cooldown of potions. Have seen some Steparu PVP videos where he and the enemy seem locked in combat forever because they keep chugging potions all the time, would like it to be more short and punishing. Like a sudden ambush that ends after a few seconds of frantic combat, not after whoever runs out of potions/patience first.

Ashodin

Yes, I think there are gender locked classes. All the Giants are males.
They've actually changed their stance on this in the Korean beta, they're adding most classes with male and female, for example the wizard which is next can be both.

Well I know what I'm doing this evening, thanks for posting this! :D One question though, is it absolutely mandatory to use a Facebook account? Hasemo mentioned Twitter can I just use that?

And the site is down right now it seems :/

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Well I know what I'm doing this evening, thanks for posting this! :D One question though, is it absolutely mandatory to use a Facebook account? Hasemo mentioned Twitter can I just use that?

And the site is down right now it seems :/

I used twitter.

Qvoth

i'm not sure i'm using the vpngate correctly, still unable to access the site after it says i'm connected to the server in vpn

Build a top end gaming pc almost exclusively for this game. To say I'm excited for this game would be an understatement. Didn't want to buy a KSSN though (wasted money IMO).

Does anyone know if this method costs any money?

Will try and mess with this later. Been excited to try this for a looooooong time. Hopefully it's worth the wait!

Glad to hear they do plan to release it in the US/EU.

Liseda

Build a top end gaming pc almost exclusively for this game. To say I'm excited for this game would be an understatement. Didn't want to buy a KSSN though (wasted money IMO).

Does anyone know if this method costs any money?
No.

Good to know thanks! :)

And the site is still down, are there any mirrors for the client?
It should still work?
I couldn't access the site without having being from a Japanese IP though.
http://bd-dl-gameon.nefficient.jp/bd/client/BlackDesert_live_1.zip
http://bd-dl-gameon.nefficient.jp/bd/client/BlackDesert_live.exe

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
i'm not sure i'm using the vpngate correctly, still unable to access the site after it says i'm connected to the server in vpn

I had issues with the site at first but multiple refresh did the trick.

No.

It should still work?
I couldn't access the site without having being from a Japanese IP though.
http://bd-dl-gameon.nefficient.jp/bd/client/BlackDesert_live_1.zip
http://bd-dl-gameon.nefficient.jp/bd/client/BlackDesert_live.exe

That worked thanks! :D Strange that you can't even access the site without a Japanese IP o.o But I can worry about that later, now back to chores and studying while it downloads :p

EDIT: Also I just remembered something from messing with the TERA JP Beta ages ago, the whole VPN thing might actually be unnecessary if the game only uses the website to verify.

The way I did it back in TERA was that I just let Internet Explorer run through a proxy VPN via the internal IE settings. That way my internet was still un-VPN'ed but the game started as Internet Explorer had a Japanese IP. Could someone test this? I can't until later :/

Sectus

Ah okay that would probably explain it. Didn't know there was gender exclusive classes.

Right now, there's 3 male classes (fighter, giant, blader) and 5 female classes (valkyrie, beast master, sorceress, female blader, ranger). But in the long run, it looks like every class will have an opposite gender counterpart.

Got it to work with my twitter account.

Messed with the character creation a tiny bit and should really get some sleep so I'll have to come back later.
Hopefully the game itself runs fine on my GTX 760 and Phenom II x4@3.4 but glad to get it all set up and patched.

Thanks for the guide.

EriksBlue

Banned
I used the launcher from the websites "Game Start" and downloaded the 16gb with the install I think I clicked yes on a prompt that popped up when it finished and it downloaded again but now its going over 21gb and its continuing to dl more.
3LnEXTN.png

What do i do? @-@

Top Bottom