• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert JP OBT is live- Facebook registration & English patch available

i really like the fact that most mission gives contribution exp, not regular exp. Which means it will always be useful no matter how high your lvl is.

i really like the fact that most mission gives contribution exp, not regular exp. Which means it will always be useful no matter how high your lvl is.

Indeed.
Moreover, quests/missions aren't the real source of exp for leveling. We have to actually fight the monster to level up. It's pretty rare to see this kind of MMO these days.

I also like the tiny details as well.
For example, if I fish and reaped some but choose to keep them for later use or trade, the price of those fishes will be dropped to 70% of their original price. So fresh fishes sell higher.

It's true that they have changed a good part of the sandbox aspect to transform it in more friendly like themepark?

Yes, it's unfortunately true.
It's nowhere near the initial concept of the game. Open world pvp, punishing death (item drop), non-instanced housing, world bosses, etc.

It's nowhere near the initial concept of the game. Open world pvp, punishing death (item drop), non-instanced housing, world bosses, etc.

wow. non-instanced housing. That....wont work out.

This game really need challenging instanced PVE dungeon though. Waste of this great combat system otherwise. Reminded me how much i love to solo dungeon in blade&souls.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

These all sound like improvements to me. I hate forced PVP.

To anyone who has played near max level on the Korean servers:

I've come across a leveling guide and have learned that questing is the slowest way to level. If you don't complete certain quests, will a player miss skill points?

holy cow i have no idea what happend but countless quests poped up everywhere, reached 30 quests limit in half hour...

I've come across a leveling guide and have learned that questing is the slowest way to level. If you don't complete certain quests, will a player miss skill points?

no. You will only miss energy and contribution point. which means absolutely no crafting for you. But if you just want to fight...

Qvoth

I'll play this a bit more, and maybe try the level 15 party dungeon?
If I'm still not feeling it this game is probably not for me

These all sound like improvements to me. I hate forced PVP.

I mean if you're looking for that there are hundreds of other MMOs. I was so hoping for another great sandbox game that might come close to the polish EVE has. Instead we get another item in a long list of themepark failures. If it's any indication, ArcheAge was more sandbox than Black Desert is right now.

Sectus

Rushing to lvl50 is not a great way to play the game in my opinion. Most quests involve killing monsters, so you'll gain plenty XP that way. I suggest trying out the different systems as you level up to make the experience more varied.

Considering the alternative, I'm very much okay with how it is now. I think the current open world pvp system could be improved, but I wouldn't want it to be so free that I could be ganked any time by someone much higher level than me. That's probably one of the most frustrating things which can happen in an MMO.

I don't see how anyone would want non-instanced housing as that means most players would not get a house at all. And I like the simulation-esque system of owning crafting houses and having NPC workers gather and craft for you.

I mean if you're looking for that there are hundreds of other MMOs. I was so hoping for another great sandbox game that might come close to the polish EVE has. Instead we get another item in a long list of themepark failures. If it's any indication, ArcheAge was more sandbox than Black Desert is right now.

Black Desert does not play like any other MMO. The combat system, the worker system, housing system, and other systems are unlike any other MMO. It wasn't ever promised to be a pure sandbox anyway. If you go back to early interviews, Pearl Abyss said it would be a hybrid or that they didn't know what kind of sub-genre it'd fall into.

Ashodin

No I'm sorry, you can have sandbox without forced PVP. Let's all play nice.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
No I'm sorry, you can have sandbox without forced PVP. Let's all play nice.

This.

There are many thing that Black Desert does differently than other MMOs, it doesn't need forced PVP to stand apart.

I guess we'll see how much BD sets the world on fire soon. The fact that BD is based solely on vertical progression kind of rules out PVP anyway. For open-world combat to succeed the game needs to focus on horizontal progression.

Rushing to lvl50 is not a great way to play the game in my opinion. Most quests involve killing monsters, so you'll gain plenty XP that way. I suggest trying out the different systems as you level up to make the experience more varied.

Considering the alternative, I'm very much okay with how it is now. I think the current open world pvp system could be improved, but I wouldn't want it to be so free that I could be ganked any time by someone much higher level than me. That's probably one of the most frustrating things which can happen in an MMO.

I don't see how anyone would want non-instanced housing as that means most players would not get a house at all. And I like the simulation-esque system of owning crafting houses and having NPC workers gather and craft for you.

Black Desert does not play like any other MMO. The combat system, the worker system, housing system, and other systems are unlike any other MMO. It wasn't ever promised to be a pure sandbox anyway. If you go back to early interviews, Pearl Abyss said it would be a hybrid or that they didn't know what kind of sub-genre it'd fall into.

I'm level 30, I've experienced enough. I just want to get to max level and get more skills. The fetch quests or npc talking quests really suck.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's weird, but I wish the game would let me give my character more imperfections. Right now the best you can do is distort the shape of their face, but that veers more into complete facial distortions.

And way more hair. Even counting the premium haircuts, it's super limited. Especially for the Warriors. To be honest, I thought it'd be more customizable.

Yeah, open world house just wouldn't work.
Good thing that ArcheAge released earlier than Black Desert, so the devs can see the failed implementation of open world housing in ArcheAge and they scrapped the concept. Instance housing is the way to go in mmos.

About character creation, I also agree.
Some aspect seem overwhelming, such as face and body customization. However, hair customization department is still very lacking, surprisingly.

Yeah, open world house just wouldn't work.
Good thing that ArcheAge released earlier than Black Desert, so the devs can see the failed implementation of open world housing in ArcheAge and they scrapped the concept. Instance housing is the way to go in mmos.

About character creation, I also agree.
Some aspect seem overwhelming, such as face and body customization. However, hair customization department is still very lacking, surprisingly.

Instanced housing means you are sequestered from the rest of the world in your own box. It limits interaction in a SOCIAL game. A better idea would be taking housing and moving from an individual level to a group level. Start with houses that require a group worth of material/action/resource/x to claim/build. I don't understand the idea of instances in an MMO.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's especially weird since hair is such a notable characteristic. It's one of the first things you notice on a person. When everyone is sharing the same hairdos with only slight alterations to length and color (wrought from a pitifully small palette) they start to lose distinctiveness. I guess they want to maintain the same level of quality, but that might be hard to pull off.

docbon

Instanced housing means you are sequestered from the rest of the world in your own box. It limits interaction in a SOCIAL game. A better idea would be taking housing and moving from an individual level to a group level. Start with houses that require a group worth of material/action/resource/x to claim/build. I don't understand the idea of instances in an MMO.

You're only really isolated from the people living in the same space as you, but there are enough housing locations in the cities so that you won't see tons of people walking through the same door and phasing in and out of existence. You can also still look outside your window and see the hustle and bustle of the city life since you're still in the same map. It's unlike games like FFXIV in this regard.

The instancing only applies to personal housing by the way. Guild halls are open-world, and need to be purchased at auctions.

Sectus

Wizard class is now out on Korean servers. It's the first class to be released with a gender counterpart immediately (I assume this will be the case with all classes from now on), and it's probably a little bit ridiculously overpowered in PVE, at least for early levels. People having used Sorcerer class in Dragon's Dogma will feel right at home.

A (short) boss fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJVNQRcidwI
Some combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5udIdYux06Q
High level combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGsyckPIYFs

I'd suggest using google translate's handwriting tool, it's a lot easier with it.

I'm trying man I've been at this for an hour...Can you help lol.

0e20537716.jpg

Edit: NVM i got it

Azzurri

There was an interview with Daum Europe recently, and they said there will be an Alpha or Beta sometime this year.

I hope Daum adds more content. From people who play it, it's basically barren PvE wise, and open world PvP is so punishing that it's basically worthless.

Top Bottom