• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert JP OBT is live- Facebook registration & English patch available

Downloaded and started the client using the method of bypassing vpn and using WTFast but I keep getting random dc's during the character creation.

I experienced that as well, if I didn't disconnect my vpn.
Have you disconnected the vpn? Play with wtfast only, as vpn is easily got dc-ed. Cut the vpn at server selection.

Why don't you install the English patch? :eek:

I did, but the UI is still difficult to grasp.

Maybe it's not a language thing, but you have a ton of skills that are binded to the hotbar, but binded to your action keys around your movement.

Also, translations are pretty rough. I'm just pressing R for everything, but I don't understand what some buttons are for, especially during dialogue.

Like some NPCs have "rental" and I don't know what that is.

Qvoth

i tried disconnecting with the vpngate after i'm in the game but i got disconnected instead, i thought it's supposed to work even after disconnecting?

i tried disconnecting with the vpngate after i'm in the game but i got disconnected instead, i thought it's supposed to work even after disconnecting?

You still need wtfast. You can't disconnect the vpn without wtfast.
Cut the vpn at server/char selection while wtfast is running, then wtfast will connect to JP server instead of the vpn.

Qvoth

oh i'm not using wtfast, no wonder
i can get 100ish ping to japan nomally so i thought i wouldn't need it

edit: is there like a beginner's guide on what i should be doing? the world is very big and i'm kinda overwhelmed
i still haven't found that 1 ? on the 1st town which has the tree symbol on the map

should i just explore the world and find all the ? 1st to expand the knowledge (知識) infos on NPCs?
or just ignore and just follow the main story quest?
what's the deal with spending the action point thing when talking with some NPCs? it has the muscled arm symbol and a downwards arrow after i clicked it, it's the 2nd bar on the top left screen

I just went through a bunch of quests since it's pretty easy with auto-travel...

But that's about it. I know there's a lot of cool things to do, but it's hard with the language issue. Some translations aren't clear on the function.

docbon

I just went through a bunch of quests since it's pretty easy with auto-travel...

But that's about it. I know there's a lot of cool things to do, but it's hard with the language issue. Some translations aren't clear on the function.

Yeah, I had to look over some youtube playthroughs explaining some of the game systems before I got anywhere. The (not machine) english translation can't come soon enough.

also i'm not black fyi

Stimpack

I did, but the UI is still difficult to grasp.

Maybe it's not a language thing, but you have a ton of skills that are binded to the hotbar, but binded to your action keys around your movement.

Also, translations are pretty rough. I'm just pressing R for everything, but I don't understand what some buttons are for, especially during dialogue.

Like some NPCs have "rental" and I don't know what that is.

lol, I agree. There's a lot there to take in. It's a good thing, but I haven't really had the time to dig into it as much as I would like to. As it stands currently, I just mash the F button a lot and I haven't really gotten into any of the other mechanics. Partially why I would really like a guild to be up and going.

Hadoukie

Purty game, even looks decent on my crappy PC

2015-05-15_9277995-879_-43_705.jpg~original

I have very little clue what I'm doing though. Mostly been following the black spirit quests. Don't really get how things work, since it's mostly in broken english.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I can't seem to connect to the main site, even when using a VPN. I had success yesterday, but I lost connection to the VPN I was using this morning, and when I connected to another (Japanese) one, the site refused to load.

edit: Nevermind, my VPN was just too slow.

Cidd

Are all the Japan VPNs down?

I was downloading the client and It was working fine before but I got disconnected and now I can't seem to connect to any.

Raxious

Downloading the Korean version, seeing as that one requires no VPN and is completely up to date. Also has the most English speaking players.

docbon

Acquired all the materials to begin construction on a boat. Now I just have to wait half a day for my workers to build it. Can't wait to do some sailing and fishing.

Ettie

Is there an english overview of this game somewhere? Looks beautiful, wondering if there's a story, open world pvp, etc. Typical mmo questions.

zeshakag

After much frustration, finally got it working. Even got it to show to interface with steam whenever I launch it.

Here's an album I made of a cool emo girl I created. You aren't forced to create a generic asian popstar, which is a nice surprise.

http://imgur.com/a/N9rK5

Jup, buying an account for 10$. However now I don't have to mess around with VPN's and I'll have access to the latest content.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing.
JP version is good for those who only want to test the game out. If you're set, it's recommended to play on KR server as it's not ip blocked and have the most updated content. Most BD enthusiasts on reddit and the fansite who have been following the game since development are also playing on KR server.

Raxious

well I just locked myself out of my account xD Got the PIN wrong. I thought you had to fill in 2 different PINS when in fact you just had to repeat it. I'm guessing I'll be buying a second account. -_-'

docbon

Is there any way to get my workers to keep working when I'm offline? Thought I would log in to see my boat near completion, but now I have to wait an additional 10 hours :|

edit: i'm an idiot lololol, didn't know you could assign multiple people to produce one material.

Say does anyone know what Black Desert does on Very High settings? o.o I wondered why my PC ltterally starts howling whenever I play the game. Upon closer looking my 7970 runs at 80°C playing the game, the highest I ever saw it going before was 72°C in Battlefield 4 on Ultra settings. I dialed the game back to High for the time being but I still wonder what exactly it does on Very High as there's sadly no detailed settings list :/

Creaking

Yo, to anyone else trying to register, I keep getting sent to a page with red error text after hitting the Facebook button. Google translate roughly describes that a problem occurred. Is this actually thing on their end (ie, is anyone else having this issue at the moment), or is there an authentication step I'm missing?

Yo, to anyone else trying to register, I keep getting sent to a page with red error text after hitting the Facebook button. Google translate roughly describes that a problem occurred. Is this actually thing on their end (ie, is anyone else having this issue at the moment), or is there an authentication step I'm missing?

The VPN server you're using was likely used too often to register, try another one.

Creaking

Got everything installed and I launched. I get two logos, then a black screen. I know the game is called Black Desert, but come on.

Can't do anything but quit. Is this a well known problem with a well known solution?

edit: found a screen online belonging to someone with a similar problem. No fix there though.

edit: never mind, the screen popped up after a few minutes.

Yeah, the machine translation has a lot of results like this.

Just arrived in Calpheon btw. This city is absolutely enormous, and that's not even counting the plantation just outside the city walls.

lol @ the pic

Calpheon is absolutely gorgeous and feels alive. Also if one can read Japanese the lore is also quite interesting.

A-V-B

This game is way too hard to get started. Just getting past the VPN Stage is a feat I've yet to accomplish. And I really want to play. If nothing else, for the character creator!

This game is way too hard to get started. Just getting past the VPN Stage is a feat I've yet to accomplish. And I really want to play. If nothing else, for the character creator!

Some antivirus programs might block the vpn connection. You can try uninstalling it first.
It should be as simple as double clicking the vpn list and it's connected.

Creaking

Huh, the character creator is actually a little more limited in some areas than I thought. Hair, namely. Is it just me, or is it nearly impossible to get a natural brown shade? Color choice in general seems kind of limited and scattershot. And there aren't any options for a warrior class male that don't ring "k-pop star". You can't even do bald.

Still the pros outweigh the cons. I just was surprised at certain omissions, considering how detailed something like eye customization can get.

The game seems pretty cool, though half of it is untranslated still, and I can barely run it. I really hope it gets a PS4 release or the like. I recall reading that the devs were considering that kind of a port. Probably wouldn't be for a while though. Still, seems like my kinda MMO. Trying new things and all that.

Top Bottom