• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Fitz

Most people who talk about grouping are talking about PVP, and Berserkers/Witches are good in group PvP. I haven't totally kept up with what is "op" in node/siege wars, but I am pretty sure wizard/witches are always sought after.

As a fellow Ranger... don't go Ranger. It requires chugging MP pots like a drug addict (the class more dependant on MP, way more than mages) and the damage has been nerfed highly (it was OP at first, truth to be told) to the point that its not worth considering the huge MP usage.

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be starting with a Witch and going from there.

Morrolan came out with another video yesterday with detailed worker information; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhC_zs-rOc

I didn't know a lot about the worker load and worker speed.

I've just been using human workers for everything because I thought humans higher luck % would yield better results. Seems like Goblins are good for a lot of things.

Wondering if I should sell my humans. Got 55 workers currently.

zugzug

Look at the node in question you are using the human on the luck stat is only useful if when you complete the worker mission and your worker critically completes the mission for the bonus items. You should't care if a worker critically completes a potato gathering mission. But you should care if your worker completes the worker mission and earns extra traces of savagery or extra blue powder from mining iron ore.

I am not sure if critically completing say a gather cotton mission will earn you more of the tier 2 refined cotton item which I can't think of the name of on top of gathering the basic tier 1 cotton item.

Also look at the node itself some nodes take like 23 minutes to complete each round like I have a goblin gathering honey at Alejandro's farm. that is stupid fast and causes me to have to replenish his energy way faster than just putting a giant worker on that node. However the gathering node next to forest of seclusion takes like 2 hours and 25 minutes to complete and you most certainly do not want a slow giant on that node, you want a fast goblin with high luck or a fast human with high luck.

Hubb

Does gear level up with you? Or can I get two items with different stats all together at level 1 and 50?

All gear with the same name will have the same base stats, but you can enchant armor/weapons/accessories to increase their stats. There is no level requirement on gear or weapons or accessories.

Different types of gear (like Grunil, Heve, Aegrian, Taritas) will have different scaling DR, different set bonuses, and different gem slots. Weapons are a little different because there is different scaling and "hidden" bonuses that you can't see on the stats sheet.

Eventually the black spirit should bring you to a quest that goes over enchanting gear, but I think that quest/tutorial doesn't come early enough. You don't need to complete it to start enchanting though.

Does gear level up with you? Or can I get two items with different stats all together at level 1 and 50?

Watching this is definitely worth it if you're still trying to learn how it works. You'll get the basics in the first minute or two and when you have the time it gets into the details as far as enhancing strategies and other more advanced stuff.

wrongway

So yeah, this seems pretty neat. I spent the last few evenings casually dorking around with this after getting passed character creation (lolunderscores). Played a few to the upper teens and think I'll focus on my sorceress. Saw the first real town, got some nodes linked, got a couple workers going, and got a little house/room. Combat's pretty slick too of course. It's cool how actiony and punchy it is for an MMO.

Turns out this is also a surprisingly friendly game to just leave running in the background and tab into here and there for breaks. I really like that you can just minimize the game to the system tray so you stay connected without using much in the way of system resources.

Is there anyone around this evening who can do guild invites? I'll be alternating between BDO and staring at spreadsheets for a bit. :p

So yeah, this seems pretty neat. I spent the last few evenings casually dorking around with this after getting passed character creation (lolunderscores). Played a few to the upper teens and think I'll focus on my sorceress. Saw the first real town, got some nodes linked, got a couple workers going, and got a little house/room. Combat's pretty slick too of course. It's cool how actiony and punchy it is for an MMO.

Turns out this is also a surprisingly friendly game to just leave running in the background and tab into here and there for breaks. I really like that you can just minimize the game to the system tray so you stay connected without using much in the way of system resources.

Is there anyone around this evening who can do guild invites? I'll be alternating between BDO and staring at spreadsheets for a bit. :p

I'll come on

Maddrical

Played a couple of hours of this last night. Makes me really wish I had the time to sink into it like I did MMOs back in the day. Used to come home from school/uni at 4pm, play until 12-2am daily. Now I'm lucky to fit an hour a day. Seems like an MMO I actually would enjoy though, ever since WoW came out MMOs seem to be focused on story and campaigns more than providing an open world to do whatever the hell you want in them, which I've always thought totally missed the purpose of an MMO. Hoping to put a few hours in here & there, I played Warrior for a bit and then made a Musa as they seem a bit more unique and I like bows. I love how each class has a very unique look but makes me wonder if everyone as a class looks the same... though given there's outfits available I guess not.

If I really don't care about PvP at all and just wanna play & explore, be social, do some professions etc. is there any particular class that would be best to play? Also I'm in Australia so combat is quite laggy, otherwise I'd probably give Ninja a shot.

Mephala

Played a couple of hours of this last night. Makes me really wish I had the time to sink into it like I did MMOs back in the day. Used to come home from school/uni at 4pm, play until 12-2am daily. Now I'm lucky to fit an hour a day. Seems like an MMO I actually would enjoy though, ever since WoW came out MMOs seem to be focused on story and campaigns more than providing an open world to do whatever the hell you want in them, which I've always thought totally missed the purpose of an MMO. Hoping to put a few hours in here & there, I played Warrior for a bit and then made a Musa as they seem a bit more unique and I like bows. I love how each class has a very unique look but makes me wonder if everyone as a class looks the same... though given there's outfits available I guess not.

If I really don't care about PvP at all and just wanna play & explore, be social, do some professions etc. is there any particular class that would be best to play? Also I'm in Australia so combat is quite laggy, otherwise I'd probably give Ninja a shot.

o/ yeah another Aussie!
Lag is a bit better on some less populated servers... sometimes. Still manageable, at least for me.

PvE, all classes are actually pretty good. It's a matter of play style mostly. Witch is probably the top for clearing large groups quickly. Warrior for punching higher than their pay grade typically allows due to buffs and guard.

Play characters you like. The balance changes over time anyway with patches and what not.

For class appearance it is true that everyone looks different yet the same. I think this is pretty good in that it allows you to identify them quickly but also a bit boring to look at and lacking in terms of customisation. A lot of it is due to body size limits all being locked within the same range for the classes.

Rimark

Neo Member
Even though I play WOW, Would this be a good alternative, no pressure RPG to play with others but with no subscription fee?

Yes absolutely. It has a ton of different experiences for different people, and if you aren't concerned with being best of the best, can be enjoyed thoroughly casually.

Keep in mind it plays and feels all throughout very different from Wow.

Mephala

Quote to reveal new GAF discord link.
Old GAF discord admin has gone and we wanted to spruce it up a bit.

Hmm I might stick with Warrior then, given my main goal is to just explore and such. Still going to test out the Musa though.

Definitely experience a few classes if you can. While I won't deny my scrub alt warrior's power I actually prefer my other classes as I find them more fun to play.

There is currently a loyalty character expansion slot for 1 loyalty. I recommend grabbing this while it is on offer. You get 100 loyalty daily. Press Y in game to bring up the menu to claim it. This is the same menu that you claim your daily exp grind buff. F3 to open up shop.

Maddrical

There is currently a loyalty character expansion slot for 1 loyalty. I recommend grabbing this while it is on offer. You get 100 loyalty daily. Press Y in game to bring up the menu to claim it. This is the same menu that you claim your daily exp grind buff. F3 to open up shop.

Thanks, I'm still a bit confused about the loyalty etc. but I haven't looked into it too much, only played for a couple of hours. Might look into it more if I end up playing again tonight.

Rimark

Neo Member
How about weapon grades (blue yellow and such)? Do these change with enchant level?

Most weapons aside from starter weapons and close to end gear weapons (liverto+) can be reformed to a higher grade from the original. For example, if you have Yuria weapon, you can use a Grade 3 Weapon Reform stone to reform it from green to yellow (on chance I believe). This usually increases the stats and gives other bonuses to the weapon. Heating (processing) 10 Grade 3 reform stones with 1 hard or sharp shard will give you an ultimate reform stone which wil 100% guarantee a successful reform to yellow. Lower grade reform stones give blue, on chance or 100% success etc - but imo, stick to the ultimate reform stones or try your luck with the grade 3s if you're strapped for cash.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, been so long since I've reformed anything.

Rogan

Banned
Bought the game last weekend and its really overwhelming. I played Guild Wars 2 for the last couple of years but BDO looks it is going to be my favorite.

The crafting etc. looks really great and the mechanics are fun!

At level 40 right now and made my first steps with trading. I'm 150 mil in the plus if everything gets sold.

TheRed

I'm not into any MMOs but bought this when it came out on steam. People weren't lying when they were talking about the character creator. It's so awesome and I almost never bother with character creators in other games. Spent over 2 hours in this one just now.

Mephala

I'm not into any MMOs but bought this when it came out on steam. People weren't lying when they were talking about the character creator. It's so awesome and I almost never bother with character creators in other games. Spent over 2 hours in this one just now.

2 hours and no pics? Come on son!

Fitz

Ah crap, server maintenance going on! I'd become used to GW2's 100% uptime. Looks like they run this at about the same time every week though, so no problem.

New pets in Korea:

QvCIXUi.jpg

j8l8wON.jpg

Pw3dysV.jpg

16Wi3xN.jpg

garath

Ugh..takes too long to delete characters. I made a striker and hated how he looked. Tried to delete and it's been two days and still deleting lol

Eriugam

Neo Member
Ugh..takes too long to delete characters. I made a striker and hated how he looked. Tried to delete and it's been two days and still deleting lol

That's probably to prevent players deleting characters and instantly regretting the decision. I've got to wait until the 6th June for my character to be permanently deleted

Strongly considering coming back to this game now the Striker is in. I just loaded it up to make mine and I'm a little overwhelmed. I have a million things sitting in my mailbox from various events and stuff, lol.

I haven't played since shortly after Mediah.

Strongly considering coming back to this game now the Striker is in. I just loaded it up to make mine and I'm a little overwhelmed. I have a million things sitting in my mailbox from various events and stuff, lol.

I haven't played since shortly after Mediah.

Yeah thats a long time since they added Valencia and Magoria since then. Those two areas combined is already 60% of the world size.

That's probably to prevent players deleting characters and instantly regretting the decision. I've got to wait until the 6th June for my character to be permanently deleted

A tip you can use is that at any point in the game, you can press F4 and then customize your character from there. While you need to have a value pack or a character change coupon (from the store, or marketplace or long term reward) you can save the looks in bottom left.

I have some new alternative looks for my character. I just save them, and so when I get a value pack at some point I'm going to change a lot of them.

Even if I can finalize my characters look, its nice to be able to customize them in game and plan ahead.

Ferr986

A tip you can use is that at any point in the game, you can press F4 and then customize your character from there. While you need to have a value pack or a character change coupon (from the store, or marketplace or long term reward) you can save the looks in bottom left.

I have some new alternative looks for my character. I just save them, and so when I get a value pack at some point I'm going to change a lot of them.

Even if I can finalize my characters look, its nice to be able to customize them in game and plan ahead.

Just be adviced the Beauty Salon is broken and set your character sliders at the heigh value everytime you enter.

data

Should I just always enhance a weapon to lvl 7? Since you get 100% chance until 7 and you always get the extraction stones back? Or am I missing anything? This is my first time playing

TheRed

2 hours and no pics? Come on son!

Lol because I don't think the 2 hours made anything too special. I altered face structure slightly to make it slightly less symmetrical and perfect, but still not very dramatic changes. Mostly wasted time because I thought it'd be fun to make a custom pose. I spent a ton of time creating a pose then went to another part of customization and lost it all. Redid the whole custom pose, and clicked save pose, closed game and came back and it was gone again. Remade it a 3rd time and clicked save a bunch of times and finished character creation and even still in the actual game I think the pose is gone? Can anyone explain what the edit pose in creation does and how I can apply the one I make and see it in game?

Anyway gave up on that for now and went into the game, think my guy looks good if not a little plain pretty boy but I was going for how I myself would like to look with more muscles in a fantasy world and I'm a plain looking pretty boy lol.

34903204091_dfe0e8fa80_b.jpg

34903205491_893e75e7a3_b.jpg

34191213234_3474923b5f_b.jpg

And here's the final pose I took so long on that I think is just gone.

35035005105_776dcc6dc2_b.jpg

Rimark

Neo Member
Should I just always enhance a weapon to lvl 7? Since you get 100% chance until 7 and you always get the extraction stones back? Or am I missing anything? This is my first time playing

Yep, you got it. At the very least until 7, sometimes I push to 10 though cause more often than not for me it's only a few clicks extra away and I have lots extra (careful though cause that can be a rabbit hole and lost stones).

Anyway gave up on that for now and went into the game, think my guy looks good if not a little plain pretty boy but I was going for how I myself would like to look with more muscles in a fantasy world and I'm a plain looking pretty boy lol.

lol dat 24/7 oiled skin look

garath

So people talk about afk lifeskilling. Anything I should start with that's valuable? Don't even know where to begin. I want to get started on something. Been checking out videos on training and I'm watching the lifeskill quest video now but not sure if there's something specific to tackle for afk.

Rimark

Neo Member
So people talk about afk lifeskilling. Anything I should start with that's valuable? Don't even know where to begin. I want to get started on something. Been checking out videos on training and I'm watching the lifeskill quest video now but not sure if there's something specific to tackle for afk.

Usually people recommend starting with afk fishing. Once you get it setup it's quite useful and profitable. Easy to do too, and can leave your char in town.

wrongway

Sounds like I should get in on fishing too. Seeing the piles of afk fishers made me think of FFXI, but here afk fishing is actually legit? Sign me up for that free money :p

AFK fishing easily the easiest to start with.

Cheap method is just buy your fishing rods, find a body of water, cast the line, check the auto throw of useless stuff box, then come back to your char later.

Horse training takes a bit longer to get going as you'll need a wagon and horses.

Another easy afk activity is strength training. Just buy a trade item and have your character carry it. Then set an autoloop path and have the character walk the loop.

Sounds like I should get in on fishing too. Seeing the piles of afk fishers made me think of FFXI, but here afk fishing is actually legit? Sign me up for that free money :p

AFK fishign is recommended even. There are a whole page of titles dedicated to fishing.

You could also try farming. Farming is really fun.

You start by renting a fence from a specific NPC in the city. It costs 10 contribution points to rent a fence. When you return the fence to the NPC you get your contribution points back.

If you have 100 contribution points, you could ideally get 10 large plots of lands. It takes about 6-12 hours of Real Life time from when you planted the seeds to you being able to harvest. You can use many different types of seeds. you can find them in the world, or buy them off the AH. There are also NPCs that sell them. Everytime you harvest you need to plant new seeds. I recommend you plant your farms close to town!
You also need to make sure your putting your farm at a place with a good level of humidity or your yields will be worse.

http://dulfy.net/2016/03/06/black-desert-gardening-and-farming-guide/

You can also put stacks of hay so you can have cows. then you can get milk. you can also get chicken so you can get eggs. Both are hghly desirable if you wanna get deep into cooking.

You could also AFK process. Wanna process a lot? Go to the AH and buy the Hercules Armor Set. It's cheap, and each piece comes with +Weight. You can then buy Weight gems (under crystals). The idea is that the more you can hold on your character, the more you can process at once without having to start another batch. my character can hold 1400 pounds of weight, so I can carry alot. 2000 iron ore. then I press L, then press heating, and then my character stats turning those ores into iron shards. then afterwards I do it all over again, turning the shards into Iron ingots.

But be careful- you need to do certain life quests to be able to process certain things. Heidal has many green quests (lifeskill quests) that unlocks certain shaking, heating, refining, and other forms of processing.
Processing is easy and rewarding.
Levelling your gathering is a lot more work. but it can make you a lot of money. if you buy a bunch of skinning knives from a material vendor and heads out towards goat mountain, you can make a pretty penny. Not really afk though.

You could also get into AFK horses. People level horses by buying a wagon, and using 4 horses they attach to the wagons, and then they make a auto path loot, where your character drives around on the wagon with the four horses, forever. just levelling them up. the higher level a horse is, the better chance horse breeders have to breed that horse into a higher tier horse.

Say I want a Tier 8 horse. To increase the chance of that happening my best bet would be to get two Tier 7 lvl 30 (max horse level) horses to fuck each other.

But it takes a long time to get a horse all the way to lvl 30. My horse Ohio, I've been rounding around for 4 months and she is still only lvl 24.(Tier 6).

If you wanna get into horse levelling, make sure you buy horses that can breed. sometimes the horses that people sell are horses that cannot be breed.

Dulfy also has a horse guide: http://dulfy.net/2016/03/03/black-desert-online-horse-taming-and-breeding-guide/

But horses are completely fucked. It's so indepth and crazy it should be its own game.

bdohorsetiers.jpg

The thing is- You might want to get into Horses. Once Pegasus gets in (with wings) those Tier 9 horses will be able to glide (not fly, but glide). You know thats going to be awesome, and everyone is gonna want to glide off high places.
Getting a good Tier 8 is a end goal in itself. it will take you many many hundreds of hours, and is a good example of a good personal goal to set for yourself. One that is more interesting than just getting a certain piece of gear.

This game has the most insane mount system. People are going ballistic over getting white Tier 8 Albinos!

Something else you guys also might wanna do, is to go towards the Ephiera Boat. This is also a major undertaking that will take a lot of resources! If you want this boat, you might want to hold onto your wood. But because so many are building this, wood is selling really well. Thanks boat!

sbkodama

Bought it for cheap on steam, gameplay and visual are good, but despite what I heard a lot I don't find the character creator amazing after blade and soul.

Quonny

Just rerolled. I had a character pretty well established but I tried logging back in today after a year off and I was totally lost.

Rimark

Neo Member
Man, it's bonkers how much stuff there is in this

The sub-systems and mechanics are what kept me playing for so long. It was so fun for me to do the crafting/processing/life-skilling and all the side stuff given how complex it all is. It's honestly too bad they haven't put much time into shoring up a more robust end-game PvE because then I would have my MMO for the next 10 years haha.

This game has the most insane mount system. People are going ballistic over getting white Tier 8 Albinos!

I remember when I used to afk auto train horses and do breeding actively I would go insane trying to get the right color combos, let alone learning the proper skills and being the right tier. Almost glad I stopped breeding haha, but was honestly super fun and fairly rewarding getting the nice all white or black horse T7 (back when that was highest)..... and then it learns Caution and its relegated to alt duty lol

Mephala

I think setting up goals is pretty good. You can swap them out but having something to focus on is generally pretty good here.

My current goals are:
-DUO all my gear for main. Not quite there yet, then to TRI etc.
-Slowly work on the few scraps of boss gear I have. Currently got 1 piece at 10. Still need Bheg and Muskan for set.
-Reach Master Trading so I can increase my income when selling stuff.
-Increase Gathering skill across characters.
-Get a damn value pack off market -_-

Long term goals.
-Epheria Boat
-Horse Taming, I started but I'm only apprentice levels at the moment.

Need more CP. :\

Mephala

"WHAT? They introduced a repairable boat! Gonna see how you mak......." yeah no way I'm gonna be able to make it lol

I noticed you could get it for 50 Shakatu tokens, which is 5 months worth of daily log in rewards. Though some of the other rewards looks a bit better. Depends what you need I guess.

I've also seen the license once on the market place. It was pretty expensive though!

Ferr986

I noticed you could get it for 50 Shakatu tokens, which is 5 months worth of daily log in rewards. Though some of the other rewards looks a bit better. Depends what you need I guess.

I've also seen the license once on the market place. It was pretty expensive though!

It seems like it's a boat suited for a group of people, not a loner for me lol

Protip: if you're gonna afkfish I would recomment using a sub 50 alt to do it. I remember using my main lvl 50 to afkfish on hotspots (currents when you get better fish) and waking up to see my char dead because some fucker found it to be funny, wasting my night. A sub50 char cannot be killed so you'll be always safe.

SLV

One question, is it even worth it for me to get this game gifted to me ? Will i be able to play ? As i understand, the IP range for my country is blocked, i am from Latvia.

List of Countries Supported

I dont want to play the game in Russian, i live in a European Union country FFS

Top Bottom