• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday 2016 - Post cool deals here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3905168&SID=
This is definitely impulse-buy territory. Tell me why I shouldn't buy this.

I bought a LG G3 and a year after I bought it, the phone just stopped recognizing my SIM card for some reason

I replaced it with a G4 and six months after I bought it the phone just turned off and then wouldn't boot past the startup screen. Apparently this is a common issue with LG phones and no one knows why it happens or how you can prevent it.

As a result I'm not getting a LG phone again and I wouldn't recommend one to anyone else. It's a shame, because otherwise their hardware is quite good, but it's not worth the headaches.

BiggNife

Thinking about getting the 2016 Fire HD 8 as a comic book ereader. Anyone had experience with it?

Looking at reviews the consensus seems to be that it's much better than last year's model and $60 is an insanely good price for a tablet that isn't garbage.

Also if anyone finds good deals on 8 or 10 inch tablets let me know. I haven't been able to find much, just a lot of no-name brands I'm not willing to take a risk with.

Pretty sure I either got the last copy of Dark Souls 3 at my local best buy or it was the last one out on the floor. Feels good man.

Never had a Seagate fail on me, but Western Digital on the other hand...failed on me more times than I can count. Maybe I'm just lucky!

From posts, seems like they're okay now. They had some 2TB and 3TB HDDs that were the definition of awful last year, and they have historically been the worst HDD manufacturer. Their Barracudas from the 2000s were legendary in their unreliability.

As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't trust my important data to a Seagate drive. Backup/storage, sure. Redundant backup sure.

Looking to buy a dslr. Not a professional or anything, just gonna use it for family pictures.

Any model or deals you guys can recommend? I hardly know anything about them. Got to handle a 5D mark 3 back in college but I feel that's way too expensive(and heavy) for my needs.

Ryzaki009

Anyone have recommendations for a windows 10 tablet? I just want to be able to play light games and read visual novels on it. (And preferably something I could dual boot android on if possible).

Between 500-1000, probably 1080p but i'm not against trying to future-proof with 4K. Used for both games and TV/Movies.

my sister looking for the same.

40" Samsung Smart 4K TV for $349.99 shipped at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5069100.p?skuId=5069100

Review on rtings:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

Good for gaming as well.

55" LG Smart 4K TV for $499.99 shipped with $150 Kohl's Cash:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-26...120hz-led-smart-tv-with-webos-30-55uh6030.jsp

48" Samsung 1080p Smart TV for $279.99 shipped at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...080p-smart-hdtv-black/4513700.p?skuId=4513700

any good deals on computer chairs?

$55 shipped with promo code: VISAFRIDAY

Must use Visa checkout (Visa card not required for purchase).

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/304646267.html

114346649.jpg

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I guess my mom bought me Dishonored 2 at full price on Amazon. Called today to see if they would just honor the price difference and they instead told her she had to return everything.

Whatever. Stupid waste of shipping costs, Amazon.

Mr. Robot

I bought a LG G3 and a year after I bought it, the phone just stopped recognizing my SIM card for some reason

I replaced it with a G4 and six months after I bought it the phone just turned off and then wouldn't boot past the startup screen. Apparently this is a common issue with LG phones and no one knows why it happens or how you can prevent it.

As a result I'm not getting a LG phone again and I wouldn't recommend one to anyone else. It's a shame, because otherwise their hardware is quite good, but it's not worth the headaches.

Second this, when i had an LG G2 the screen had touch deadspots after 6 months of use, the warranty didnt cover it, later found that the LG G3 had the same issue when i was interested in one, and the G4 has bootloops, dont know what happened to LG, they were my favorite brand after the nexus 5.

I got an honor 8 from amazon for 260, lets hope it doesnt have any issues.

Looking for cheap fitness band with heart rate monitor that also allows you to control music on your smartphone. I feel like I am out of luck on this.

Sky Chief

I guess my mom bought me Dishonored 2 at full price on Amazon. Called today to see if they would just honor the price difference and they instead told her she had to return everything.

Amazon is dumb with this shit sometimes. I bought a FireTV and then before it was delivered I saw that for $10 more they offer a "bundle" with an HDMI cable and antenna. I asked if I could upgrade my order to the bundle. They said, no I had to return the original FireTV and order the bundle so I did that. The "bundle" was then shipped to me in two boxes from two different distribution centers, FireTV in one and antenna and HDMI cable in another. Why couldn't they just charge me $10 more and send me the HDMI cable and antenna and call it a day? Makes no sense, would have saved them two shipping charges.

From posts, seems like they're okay now. They had some 2TB and 3TB HDDs that were the definition of awful last year, and they have historically been the worst HDD manufacturer. Their Barracudas from the 2000s were legendary in their unreliability.

As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't trust my important data to a Seagate drive. Backup/storage, sure. Redundant backup sure.

Yeah I remember that, but I was probably one of the lucky ones that didn't have one fail. Completely agree with you - I only use Seagate for backups and storage, nothing important.

I was also looking for any fitbit deals if anyone has found any good ones

Their are few deals available on fitbit charge 2 which comes with a heart rate monitor. Most of them are for $129 with free stuff like extra bands or gift cards. But this one doesn't allow controlling music which is why I am not pulling the trigger.

Edit: I would also like to know about the Seagate failure rate thing. I believe all the data saying that it has the highest failure rate comes backblaze which I always assumed was accurate. I wanna pull the trigger on the Seagate 2tb deal but just worried about failure.

Azole

Neo Member
Looking for some good Bluetooth headset for music and calls. Got the plantronic backbeat fit from Costco and it was not good at all; didn't like the fit and it wasn't sound proof.

Have their been any good deals on computer components? I need a new power supply and I want to upgrade RAM, but I feel like I haven't seen any compelling offers at all.

Man, why didn't anyone tell me Nintendo Classics were in stock and sold out immediately after?!

As a kid who was bought the Tickle Me Elmo and the Wii growing up at relatively easy ways, this one stings
breh. Damn you artificial scarcity!

Dhx

Does anyone know which of these two TVs is better?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-50-c...-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5622527.p?skuId=5622527

vs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5113200.p?skuId=5113200

The Samsung one sold out and I was just wondering if it's a lot better

My research said go with Samsung for the low-mid tier TVs. Stay away from LG unless it's their high end units. I'm grabbing the 55" 6300 at $599 as a gift for my mother. It's not the best deal, but it's still a good price and a good TV for the price range. The next jump up is to $900+ for HDR units from what I'm seeing and she doesn't need that.

Speevy

Banned
Never had a Seagate fail on me, but Western Digital on the other hand...failed on me more times than I can count. Maybe I'm just lucky!

This is highly unusual. I mean, I'm sure all brands of hard drives fail, but did it ever strike you as odd that Seagates are routinely sold for $10-30 less than the other brands?

Yeah, they've gotten bad with this over the last couple years, it's such a stupid policy that's probably only in place because they know most people won't go through the trouble. I get that Amazon wanted to finally become profitable but it sucks that it came at the cost of customer service.

NimbusD

Looking for a new phone... trying to figure out if I should hold out til monday or jump on the zte axon 7 deals. I've been burned before with a zte phone that literally never received updates, but it really seems to be the best specs in that price range, and from what ive heard they have been giving it consistent updates.

After I got burned by the zte phone Ive been all nexus, but the pixel seems underwhelming for the cost and with the nexus 6 just getting dropped from future updates Im sorta lost for what I even should look for anymore, figure midrange is best for now until pixel/nexus gets its act together. So yeah, Axon 7 unless theres a good chance of phone deals on monday....

tcrunch

My research said go with Samsung for the low-mid tier TVs. Stay away from LG unless it's their high end units. I'm grabbing the 55" 6300 at $599 as a gift for my mother. It's not the best deal, but it's still a good price and a good TV for the price range. The next jump up is to $900+ for HDR units from what I'm seeing and she doesn't need that.

Thanks!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Ecobee 3 or Nest? I have rooms that are drastically different temperatures so if one of those has the ability to adjust temperature individually to different rooms that would be amazing. Both seem on sale right now, and I have Alexa.

phinious

Ecobee 3 or Nest? I have rooms that are drastically different temperatures so if one of those has the ability to adjust temperature individually to different rooms that would be amazing. Both seem on sale right now, and I have Alexa.

In order to do that your hvac system needs to be zoned. If you only have 1 thermostat now, it most likely is not. Sorry.

giga

I have a nest (and like it) but bought an ecobee (since my utility provider was giving it for $100) and I'm curious about its homekit/siri integration as well as its multi room sensors.

Looking to buy a dslr. Not a professional or anything, just gonna use it for family pictures.

Any model or deals you guys can recommend? I hardly know anything about them. Got to handle a 5D mark 3 back in college but I feel that's way too expensive(and heavy) for my needs.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9416007-nikon-d3400-dslr-18-55mm-70-300mm-lens-goodies-497-or-d5300-18-55mm-70-300mm-lens-goodies-597-free-shipping

Nikon d3400. Their lowest end model but still a really nice camera. Especially if it is just for taking pics of your kids. That bundle comes with a zoom lense too which is nice to have. You could also look for a good deal on the d3300. I think they are basically the same camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom