• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source still not out, still no date, still no discussion in this thread

Hatten

If their site is right they have been working on this since HL2 came out almost 8 years ago!

What are the chances they will launch it? honestly, because the mod kicks ass but it seems its stuck in devhell

This whole mod must be created by Valve in order to dissuade anyone else from remaking HL, so they can inevitably include it in the future with the HL E3 Box. Genius.

It would be nice if they were a little more honest about when it is likely to be released. A few years ago I put off paying through HL because the mod looked so awesome. I stopped waiting and played through it. This shit is never coming out.

The M.O.B

Wouldn't that Soundtrack count as attempting to profit off the Half-Life franchise? I don't think Valve would pursue them but that ain't kosher unless they were given the thumbs up. (And it uses the trademarked half-life logo)

But whatever, I'll believe it when i see play it

They should kickstarter it then use that money to vanish of the face of the earth.

Its going to happen to a kickstarter eventually. Might as well be these jokers.

We can get that increasingly inevitably happening Kickstarter reality check and BMS can be canned for good all in one go.

Demigod Mac

They said it would be finished soon after the soundtrack was released.

I knew that fate would have it that the mod would be completed right after I gave up waiting and did that playthrough of Half-Life I'd been aching to do for a while.

Well, I just finished playing it 2 weeks ago....

Perhaps I wasn't wrong.

kevm3

Seems like this game was supposed to be released so long ago that there was actually a time where those graphics were impressive.

Well, they released the track listing if that means anything:

http://www.joelnielsen.com/bms/

Tried searching but only found this thread... so yeah... sorry if this has been mentioned already.
bmsdcryb.jpg

I certainly believe the mans one and only tweet in existence.

This whole affair is kind of insulting at this point. It claims to be a fan driven mod but they won't talk to the fans in any meaningful capacity. They're acting like they have to talk through PR mouth pieces, doling out information on a drip feed. Fucking Irrational is more loose lipped than them.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Whenever I see projects like this (or the Chrono Trigger remake) that look like they require a ton of effort I always wonder why they don't just make an original game and be able to make some money. At the very least they can say "heavily inspired by X" and still get some interest from the fans.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well then you're wrong.

No he's pretty much right.

Random-ass hints are supposed to be interesting after all these years? You got some information, or are you just thinking wishfully? If you have info, then spill it. If not, who cares? We'll continue on with the rest of our lives, playing games that actually exist.

The M.O.B

Wasnt it said by the devs ages ago that when the soundtrack comes out the game will follow very soon?

Yes........but the devs have given us plenty of "hopeful" release dates in the past. After 4-5 promises dating all the way back to "Late 2009" I can't blame anybody for being a skeptic.

Wasnt it said by the devs ages ago that when the soundtrack comes out the game will follow very soon?

The devs also said this game would be "definitely out" in like 2008. I'm not trying to be a hater but they are hardly a great barometer for trusting them on release dates.

Jackpot

Banned
I talked to the lead designer on BMS a few weeks ago. Things are still moving forward on the project. They are all hard at work on it.

as we told you before, they're lying.

besides, they've destroyed any goodwill they might have gotten by being such jackasses to people over the years.

I remember something being discussed about when the soundtrack was released that the next part would be a big overhaul of the website as the game was also close to releasing. I hope I wasn't dreaming.

Javaman

Yeah, this stinks to high heaven of them trying to use this to catapult them into jobs at valve. Looks more like they are doing more damage to their names than helping.

Yeah they really are douchebags.
Their PR has been terrible.

Normally I'd say it's a fine line between requesting info and being entitled but the thing is they have just been a joke. There is literally nothing seperating black mesa source and countless other mods that come and go, but this one 'seemed' promising at some point. Problem is they also spout shit like OH WE TALKED TO VALVE, OH WE HAVE SOME SPECIAL NEWS, IT IS COMING OUT THIS YEAR WE PROMISE, over and over.

The mod started development in 2004
the mod is just a MOD not a new game
it a mod that transfers an old game into a new game

there is literally nothing NEW so why not just update us on the fucking status. "we've taken so long because we have had issues retaining artists", bam, I'm happy. Just tell us!

This used to be the number one thing I was hyped about- like more than EP 1 or 2! Now it's just sad and pathetic... the hilarious thing is, they are updating Half LIfe 1 to the 'new' gameplay of HL2 and new graphics and physics of HL2... well sadly HL2 (while still great) is showing some age gameplay wise, and graphically it definitely is. What will be the point of this update anymore?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well then you're wrong.

Based on what, exactly? The release of the soundtrack wouldn't mean anything considering Hubicorn withdrew a comment, made last year, that it would signify the imminent release of the mod itself.

Edit: Clarity.

The mod started development in 2004
the mod is just a MOD not a new game
it a mod that transfers an old game into a new game

there is literally nothing NEW so why not just update us on the fucking status. "we've taken so long because we have had issues retaining artists", bam, I'm happy. Just tell us!

This is incorrect. Black Mesa is a mod that recreates the original Half-Life within the Source engine. What you're describing, however, is entirely along the lines of Valve's own Half-Life: Source, which itself is nothing more than an example of how (relatively) easy it is to port GoldSrc content to Source.

-BLITZ-

For me it doesn't matter when the mod will be out because I will play it. It deserve to be played; the old it gets the better, turning into a classic game.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, this stinks to high heaven of them trying to use this to catapult them into jobs at valve. Looks more like they are doing more damage to their names than helping.

Pretty sure any hope of that happening left long ago. Now they're just screwing with the gullible.

Kuroyume

Banned
Making my way through the HL games right now. I'm nearing the end of HL2. It's a great game. HL on the other hand freaking stinks. The platforming is terrible and because of that and other things (like when ceilings cave in on you) it leads to really poor trial and error gamplay. I can't imagine why anyone thought it was good back then nor why anyone who played it before would want to go through it again. Only decent part is figthing against the human AI but the human enemies in HL2 are about the same.

Jackl

Rumor mill(Years old rumor, thats how long this farce has gone on) says that was what they originally intended. But then after a few years it became clear that Valve, and other studios had little interest for the project. Some people left. Some replaced them, and eventually they left too.

The project was left in a clashed fucked up heap of half finished work, and some of it had to be scraped and redone entirely. The few people remaining have made no indication when that will be, or if they even care.

Psy-Phi

Making my way through the HL games right now. I'm nearing the end of HL2. It's a great game. HL on the other hand freaking stinks. The platforming is terrible and because of that and other things (like when ceilings cave in on you) it leads to really poor trial and error gamplay. I can't imagine why anyone thought it was good back then nor why anyone who played it before would want to go through it again. Only decent part is figthing against the human AI but the human enemies in HL2 are about the same.

Take away everything that you know and love about gaming since 1998. That's why HL was so praised. Many games iterated on it, and it's arguably the beginning of many of the tropes we know in FPS now. Scripted events like ceilings caving in on you didn't exist before or were exceptionally rudimentary (ceiling obviously coming down). NPC's to talk to, a story that wasn't a lame excuse to shoot demons or aliens, puzzles to solve that were more than just the flip of a single switch.

Played HL for the first time last year after having played HL2 and the Episodes and it's my favourite part aside from Xen. Can't even fathom how anyone who likes shooters couldn't love HL.

tci

Interview at RPS
The universe has a weird fondness for improbable coincidences. Name your franchise Half-Life, and it takes half a lifetime to come out. Create a robust mod based around a game in that franchise, and its development mirrors that of its crowbar-wielding, hazard-suit chic father series nearly one-to-one. The lofty promises, the incredibly lengthy periods of radio silence, the incessant cries of “vaporware” and “it’ll probably be a huge letdown” – all of it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/09/interview-what-happened-to-black-mesa-source-part-1/

I guess more parts will follow soon.

Top Bottom