• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong development *may* be in trouble - grain of salt, blah blah blah ...

FukuDaruma

idk about the reddit post there was a gameplay showing other then trailers.

"gameplay"

596.gif

The only visibly negative thing I've noticed recently was a slight graphical downgrade on the latest trailer this month. Even back then, I was fully expecting it to eventually happen.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yea... no.

Proven studios that have a great track record of releasing good games are way more likely to release good games than some unknown dev making a Souls clone on Unreal that might never see the light of day.
Sure there is risk with unknown studio but at same time we might get something special, every Studio has to start from somewhere.

Last edited:
Most chinese games are vaporware if they look incredible or too incredible. I had 0 hype for it and I was expecting this. No loss for me.
Most games are vaporware/a turd in the end if they look too incredible. Besides this I've been keeping an eye out on Crimson Desert, DokeV, Lost Souls Aside, The Vanshee, Honor of Kings: World, and Project DT, all Korean or Chinese games that have a whiff of vaporware about them.

On the other hand, here are some pretty great looking Chinese action RPGs in recent years you can play on steam right now, so it's not all a ruse:
Sword and Fairy 7 (2021, also coming to PS4/5 soon, you can really crank the ray tracing up if you got an RTX):

Gujian 3 (2018, a bit old now, but a great game)

Faith of Danschant (2017)

The Wind Road (2020):

Xuan Yuan Jian VII (2020):

None of these are near the level of Wukong, but like it or not China is catching up fast.

Thief1987

This "game" has received hype only because of fancy graphics in the first place. Gameplay wise it's looking boring. Combat is slow, MC and enemies are overanimated. These games should be fast and responsive, if devs think that we need souls clone with rdr2 animations then they are out of their minds. Not even to say that souls formula itself became overused and very tired trope, especially if it's just blatant clone with zero new ideas.

Speaking of Asian vaporware, whatever happened to Lost Soul Aside?
Lol never understand why people get hype for them. Unproven devs who flash new graphics in your face. Git hype!
At least with Piranha Bytes or Spiders you can expect the game to actually come out even as B grade as they are.

gela94

Most games are vaporware/a turd in the end if they look too incredible. Besides this I've been keeping an eye out on Crimson Desert, DokeV, Lost Souls Aside, The Vanshee, Honor of Kings: World, and Project DT, all Korean or Chinese games that have a whiff of vaporware about them.

On the other hand, here are some pretty great looking Chinese action RPGs in recent years you can play on steam right now, so it's not all a ruse:
Sword and Fairy 7 (2021, also coming to PS4/5 soon, you can really crank the ray tracing up if you got an RTX):

Gujian 3 (2018, a bit old now, but a great game)

Faith of Danschant (2017)

The Wind Road (2020):

Xuan Yuan Jian VII (2020):

None of these are near the level of Wukong, but like it or not China is catching up fast.

The problem with these games is the terrible translations into other languages, unfortunately.

gamer82

everyones a critic these day, can we not wait for it to releases and play it for ourselves you may actually enjoy it. I doubt Sony would be putting out trailers if it wasn't going to be releasing, we just recently got a 29 minuet trailer and it looked good but thats just me.

To me it's kinda cross between a hack n slash / souls game, I'm not keen on souls games but this looks interesting.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Not to say “Everything is fine”(I have no clue) but this rumor is another fucking nothingburger.

“Complex and ambitious game has a troubled development“ is pretty much like saying “Hard work is fucking hard”.

Of course people are struggling to achieve something out of the ordinary. Otherwise it would be, you know… Ordinary?

SeraphJan

Unpopular opinion here, the game trailer created much hype mainly because they announce a trailer (2020 August) for a game that was created for next gen hardware before next gen hardware is even available, most people are impress by the graphic and animation, which at the time seems incredible. But now after seen all the true next gen trailers (such as Matrix), it just doesn't look impressive anymore. Aside from the graphic, the gameplay portion is really nothing to write home about (at least from the trailer).

The only thing its going for was we rarely get a game based on Monkey King with high budget, but from what I heard the story the game was focus on are original instead of the Journey to the West storyline, which was kind of disappointing for me, I was actually hyped to see how a triple A video game adaptation of Journey to the West will look like

Last edited:

Tams

Lol, and to think we had people trying to push this as 'the rise of Chinese/other Asian game development'. It was supposed to 'doom' Western and Japanese developers.

happy d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

Tams

Unpopular opinion here, the game trailer created much hype mainly because they announce a trailer (2020 August) for a game that was created for next gen hardware before next gen hardware is even available, most people are impress by the graphic and animation, which at the time seems incredible. But now after seen all the true next gen trailers (such as Matrix), it just doesn't look impressive anymore. Aside from the graphic, the gameplay portion is really nothing to write home about (at least from the trailer).

The only thing its going for was we rarely get a game based on Monkey King with high budget, but from what I heard the story the game was focus on are original instead of the Journey to the West storyline, which was kind of disappointing for me, I was actually hyped to see how a triple A video game adaptation of Journey to the West will look like
The best Journey to the West media I've seen is the BBC's titles (or whatever they are officially called) for the Beijing 2008 Olympics.

Ribi

Wasn't that the point of the first trailer? To showcase it and get funding and developers? Hell they have a video with a new studio on their YouTube.

Also what is it with people who see a game that looks good and their immediate reaction is "never coming out, vaporware scam"

So apparently, *IF* the above is true, this could turn out to be a dud, or vaporware.

I don't know the YouTuber who got in contact with the supposed employee, he seems to have followers and views on YouTube, though I do not know him and do not know how legit this is.

The commenters on Gaming Leaks didn't seem to doubt the 'info' at all.

Take it for what it is.

Wasnt this obvious, a chinese developer making a triple A game, of course it was fake, not even the stuff they said was gameplay was legit, everything shown looks like a fake demo

GymWolf

Literal definition of no shit sherlock.

This thing is gonna stop being considered vaporware when preorders are up, not a second before.

Last edited:

A.Romero

So the implication is that the team has been spending time in faking trailers so they look like gameplay but in reality they are CGI? That wouldn't make any sense.

At least from what I remember, the original trailer showed a pretty complete vertical slice. If it's possible that the gameplay bits were real then it's a matter of scaling development up. This could be difficult if they now have grown their teams greatly and are struggling to manage all that but doesn't have an implication of the core technical capabilities of the team.

The only thing that I think could be fake is that they are running that code on very powerful hardware and having a hard time getting it to run in console hardware and/or more common PC configurations.

GAF, I'm a bit disappointed at seeing some racist name calling here. Totally unnecessary, we can do better.

Karppuuna

If people believe that unknown chines studio is capable of bringing that kind of quality, is say they are great believers or completely fools, only time will tell the outcome.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
They look more like tech demos than actual games.
You mean like Watch Dogs, or The Division? :p
Mind you - I actually played those initial showcases, and they were absolutely 'not' actual games back then (ironically, while online debates raged about visuals). But they 'were' playable.

Point is, early playables really aren't indicative of state of the project - the only way to know that is have a look on the inside.

"The game has allegedly only one release worthy area and everything else has no cutscenes or boss ready."

Further development time to finish the game should resolve this, surely? Isn't this just normal game development?

Roxkis_ii

I would say this rumor seems far fetched. It's one thing if wee were only given the first trailer, but they keep releasing trailers looking better and with progress.

Sure someone could just be making these trailers up, but if they are, they sure are creative.

Top Bottom