• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II on Wii U has more players than Killzone: Shadow Fall

Respawned from the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare actually coming on Wii U? thread.

I don't see why not. Black Ops II on Wii U still regularly gets more players than Killzone: Shadowfall :/

Wow, is that actually true?

As a WiiU owner, that can't possibly be true. Can it?

Is that true? Although I won't be surprised if it is since KZ:S has been a ghost town online recently.

I'm calling bullshit. I want to see the receipts!

Here you go, please excuse my shoddy cell phone photography:

BS6RScql.jpg

udTfR1kl.jpg

One caveat:

Might be due to the fact that the servers are region based. The number of players online shown in the menu's is based on the amount of players on your server at that time I think. Otherwise, that's a shock as big as any.

I'm in North America, I just took these photos right now (1pm on a Sunday). I'll leave it to you guys to determine if Europe makes up the difference.

Either way, WTF. I thought BLOPS II was a great game & a great port & all, but I'd rather play Shadow Fall's multiplayer any day. This shouldn't even be close.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This thread man this thread...

I'm not really certain about this evidence... Need a wider range of times and dates.

Silky

Banned
Well yeah. It's CoD
MW3 360 version still has more players than Shadow Fall. this is nothing new

daviyoung

Banned
isn't there an actual COD game on PS4 that would make for a saner comparison?

what's the multiplayer shooter library like on Wii U, compared to PS4?

I don't get the point of this at all

This thread man this thread...

I'm not really certain about this evidence... Need a wider range of times and dates.

I've noticed it routinely over the past 6 weeks or so (didn't really compare before that). During Shadow Fall's prime time, like Friday evenings, it spikes up to around 1500-1600 players. But last night when I went to play it was around 400 players total.

Either way, I think the fact that it's close at all is kind of disappointing, I play KZSF a fair bit online.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Basically drives home the point of how big COD of a franchise is.

On a somewhat related note I'm curious to see what Titanfall's player count is on XB1 versus other shooters. I get the feeling the market is basically just COD and BF at this point with everything else getting squeezed out.

legacyzero

Banned
The game isn't THAT bad.

I just feel it was a major step back from KZ 2 and 3. Tiny crampy maps, and more of a focus on infantry combat. KZ can be so much more than this.

Anon67

This might not be the best comparison, but still, that's a little mind boggling. It's something I would have not expected at all.

Zalman

The point is that Black Ops II on Wii U sold like 200k at most and it's beating Killzone, a game that sold millions.

We had a good thread about the lacking community in Shadow Fall the other day with some posts you may find interesting.

I'm really hoping they release the multiplayer component for free or put it up on PS+ to grow the community.

I remember that thread. I disagree with a lot of the arguments against KZSF - things like 'spawn camping' are really just 'your team got its ass beat back and now it has to fight to get out of its own base' - like in actual war. Given that bases have multiple exits, this is highly achievable.

What's the point of this comparison, exactly?

It just grew out of an aside in the thread linked in the OP. Since people wanted proof I thought it was interesting enough to warrant a separate thread. You may disagree.

that's pretty crazy

KZ multiplayer (for me) wasn't anything too compelling and I satiated my multiplayer itch with Ghosts, BF4 and Warframe at launch on PS4

think I played a total of 18 games of online multiplayer in Shadow Fall before stopping it.

SmokeMaxX

The point of this is that CoD on the WiiU has had absolutely ABYSMAL numbers. Like shockingly bad. The fact that there may be more players on a CoD game on WiiU (or that it's even close) is bad news for KZ:SF.

Hugstable

Banned
I really hope Killzone Shadow Fall is one of the Free PS+ games that they switch in for the whole year during E3. I already own the game, but it would be a great way to finally grow the playerbase for a good amount of time. The multiplayer was fun and smooth whenever I played online when I did, but with so many other games recently I never got to play much, and everytime I go back there really isn't very many people at all online, but I've never really had trouble finding a game. Hell it's easier finding a game in Killzone than it is finding one sometimes in Titanfall PC. Plus I would be able to change my physical copy into digital which is always a plus for myself, (I've been going all digital recently)

I'm more surprised that Black Ops II on Wii U still has a playerbase. I remember that game being used back when Wii U launched to show that nobody really played COD on Wii U.

The game isn't THAT bad.

I just feel it was a major step back from KZ 2 and 3. Tiny crampy maps, and more of a focus on infantry combat. KZ can be so much more than this.

It most certainly was NOT a step back from KZ3 and stop with that lol. KZ3 was garbage in almost any KZ2 fan's opinion. The maps were horrendous! And KZ2 never had jetpacks and exo's, it was all about infantry LOL.

9v9 is perfect for this game. We have been trying to get GG to change it on forums. A lot of people have voted to higher classic player count on site but not enough I guess. This game was kinda unfinished before and a lot of people were turned off by connection problems plus no autoaim.

If it becomes free they need more stuff for people to buy similar to F2P.

Some people on forums have suggested PS Plus already.

SSPssp

I also only played (and enjoyed) the single player , and haven't tried the multiplayer. So I'm part of the problem too. This is still surprising!

EL CUCO

Unfortunately, most people just play KZ for the SP, and not because the MP is bad. They just dont like playing competitive MP.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm more surprised that Black Ops II on Wii U still has a playerbase. I remember that game being used back when Wii U launched to show that nobody really played COD on Wii U.

I'm not. The only two online shooters for the Wii U are BLOPS2 and Ghosts.

StoopKid

The point of this is that CoD on the WiiU has had absolutely ABYSMAL numbers. Like shockingly bad. The fact that there may be more players on a CoD game on WiiU (or that it's even close) is bad news for KZ:SF.

Why is it bad news ? The game sold pretty good.

It just means ps4 has better shooters.

What's the point posting that? I know this doesn't change my statement.

Didn't see the multiplayer part.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
What's the point of this comparison, exactly?

a barely 200k first person shooter on a console that is selling poorly is played more online than a 2Mil first person shooter on a console that is selling very well. It's not like they're apples and oranges

kirby_fox

Banned
Free online v. paid sub could have an affect too.

I think we need PS3/360 numbers for BLOPs too and see the difference.

maneil99

Respawned from the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare actually coming on Wii U? thread.

Here you go, please excuse my shoddy cell phone photography:

BS6RScql.jpg

udTfR1kl.jpg

One caveat:

I'm in North America, I just took these photos right now (1pm on a Sunday). I'll leave it to you guys to determine if Europe makes up the difference.

Either way, WTF. I thought BLOPS II was a great game & a great port & all, but I'd rather play Shadow Fall's multiplayer any day. This shouldn't even be close.
Theres no other FPS games to play on Wii U and those are only the top 3 playlists for KZSF.

onQ123

It could be that Black Ops 2 is pretty much the only choice the Wii U FPS players have while PS4 FPS players are playing other FPS other than Killzone.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wonder if Shadowfall bothers with any form of paid multiplayer DLC. Because with those numbers it doesn't seem all that worthwhile.

Dysun

Black Ops 2 was a great game, not surprised to see people still playing it (even on Wii U)

Shadow Fall was like a fart in the wind, with BF4 and Ghosts launching at the same time

SmokeMaxX

Theres no other FPS games to play on Wii U and those are only the top 3 playlists for KZSF.
Wii is backwards compatible with every Wii game, plus this is CoD: Black Ops II, NOT CoD: Ghosts, the newer installment of the series that's also on WiiU.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
If I can get away with it I might take a photo of the amounts of copies we had traded in, we had an entire draw full of Killzone shadow fall about 2 weeks after release, it's still the same.

I think loads of people got it with the console and just traded it in. Might be one answer for it??

Top Bottom