• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops sells over 18 million map packs in nine months

FrankT

Black Ops sells over 18 million map packs in nine months
by Xav de Matos, Sep 01, 2011 12:30pm PDT

Related Topics – Call of Duty: Black Ops, xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Activision, Sales, PC, Call of Duty Series
During an analyst call today, Activision revealed that Call of Duty: Black Ops has sold over 23 million units since launching only nine months ago, which is slightly less than its previous statements. In its last investors call on August 3 call, the publisher noted the game had already achieved 25 million units since launching nine months ago.

In comparison, during the August 3 call, Activision said Modern Warfare 2 had sold 22 million units.

The continued sales growth of the Call of Duty franchise can be attributed to the popularity of the franchise and the growing install base of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, as outlined in a slide from Activision's investor presentation.

Call of Duty growth potential based on hardware sales
Activision also revealed that the latest entry in the Call of Duty series has sold over 18 million map packs. Each pack, priced at $15 per release, has brought in roughly 270 million dollars. The 18 million units of DLC sold equal to 7 million more than Modern Warfare 2's premium releases and 9 million more than Treyarch's previous entry in the series, World at War.

Call of Duty fever continues this year with this weekend's Call of Duty XP event in Los Angeles, as well as the November release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/70005/black-ops-sells-over-18-million-map-packs-in-nine

sywp6r.jpg

So 23 or 25M for Black Ops then? Regardless crazy attach rate.

That's pretty insane but as for attach rate, weren't there 4 (or more I don't know) map packs? The people that bought the first may have bought the others as well.

Still crazy numbers.

Gravijah

KingDizzi said:
Get a fuzzy feeling inside when COD games sell so well, they are the best FPS out there after all.

if they weren't the best, no one would be buying them, know what i'm sayin'?

test_account

XP-39C²
About 270 million dollars on map packs alone, for one game, damn! I wonder how much money Activision have made on the whole CoD serie.

Smokey

Yeah Activision would be dumb not to do some type of true subscription model for COD.

Breakin bread all over Activision offices with the money this franchise brings in

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow. Activision know how to hit the iron when it's hot, they could probably get away with another price bump, maybe $20 per pack.

stuminus3

I hope Bobby is happy peddling this shit to children.

You know how they priced their map packs so extortionately and everyone was like "well, that's what the market is willing to pay?"

Well, that's not actually what's happening. It's not the dudebros that are soaking this up in the millions. It's children. Young children, who need to get it because their friends all have it.

I'm sure Bobby knows it. Bobby doesn't care.

Smokey said:
Yeah Activision would be dumb not to do some type of true subscription model for COD.

Breakin bread all over Activision offices with the money this franchise brings in

It would seriously be the next WoW at this point. Probably bigger.

djm

Smokey said:

I'm sure they've already thought of it and fleshed such a service out. From what I've read, Microsoft isn't really too keen on subscriptions on their service, so they'd want most of the cut. With that in mind, it might still be more money to just sell everything as individual packages.

Wallach

stuminus3 said:
I hope Bobby is happy peddling this shit to children.

You know how they priced their map packs so extortionately and everyone was like "well, that's what the market is willing to pay?"

Well, that's not actually what's happening. It's not the dudebros that are soaking this up in the millions. It's children. Young children, who need to get it because their friends all have it.

I'm sure Bobby knows it. Bobby doesn't care.

lmao

KePoW

Banned
mysteriousmage09 said:
Everyone that bought this crap is the problem with this gen.

In your opinion of course (I'm sure you realize that). Majority rules.

For the record though I really disliked Black Ops. However, I loved MW2.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Rise in install base for PS3/X360 benefits CoD. Lucky for Activision. I know they're gonna market the hell out of MW3, so it'll probably outsell Black Ops easily.

Well deserved though. I spent a lot of time playing these games.

survivor

Banned
I wonder how many unique users buy at least 1 map pack, 2, 3 and so on. Regardless these numbers are insane. They are probably making more revenue on these map packs alone than some games out there

ultron87

They made a game with fun modes that people enjoy and want to play on more maps. Can't fault them for that.

I wonder how many they would've sold if they'd been priced slightly more reasonably.

mysteriousmage09 said:

Black Ops shipped with 14 maps at a price of $60. Each of the three regular map packs has added an additional three maps for $15 each, so had there been four multiplayer map packs it would have added nearly as many maps as the original game itself.

Also consider that each pack added an additional zombie level (with the excepetion of the fourth map pack which was solely dedicated to zombies). Seems like a good value proposition, sad to say.

mysteriousmage09 said:

The hive mind mentality is a problem, but diversity isn't. Nothing wrong with people playing games I don't like. As long as Call of Duty isn't the only thing that sells - and it isn't - then it doesn't matter how big it is. Other games that I/you/we like better are still around.

Same goes for Angry Birds, Just Dance, Mario, Pokemon, or whatever else may be the latest chart-topping hit.

edit: Oh, you meant the DLC? Still disagree. I don't know first hand, but I'm under the impression it's not the cheapo, rip-off type, but a decent addition to an already fully self-contained, complete game.

Orayn

Thus ends the third quarter
By the treachery of Activison, the industry is lost
Fall begins, and great is the triumph of evil

Jarmel

Banned
Guess what I like COD multiplayer but I also like Deus Ex:HR, Mass Effect(1,2), Uncharted, Dead Space, No More Heroes, and Fallout 3. I'm also going through Persona 3 right now.

There's nothing wrong with liking COD.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That is fucking depressing.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once CounterStrike: Global Offensive is released, it will overtake Call of Duty and once again be the number 1 multiplayer first person shooter.

thetrin said:
That is fucking depressing.
Yeah. Damn people for spending $60 for hundreds of hours of gameplay they like. Those people should be spending that money importing shitty games from Japan, or buying artbooks, or multiple copies of the same game so they can keep one and avoid the greatest hits packaging later, or any number of things gamers blow their money on regularly in the monthly pick-up thread.

Orayn

Ninja Scooter said:
Yeah. Damn people for spending $60 for hundreds of hours of gameplay they like. Those people should be spending that money importing shitty games from Japan, or buying artbooks, or multiple copies of the same game so they can keep one and avoid the greatest hits packaging later, or any number of things gamers blow their money on regularly in the monthly pick-up thread.
Kettle, pot, black, etc.

People are looking at these sales numbers like they were for a Justin Bieber album or a Twilight movie, because that's what CoD has become for a portion of the gaming community.

Top Bottom