• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops sells over 18 million map packs in nine months

stuminus3 said:
The Pokemon craze is the younger kids. I'm talking like tween-age.
Peer pressure on kids applies to all sorts of products and entertainment related media. Which has nothing whatsoever to do with Black Ops.

I don't even know why I'm bothering, you're pretty clearly too far gone.

Chavelo

Grow up, people. There is a market that Activision has a good grip on, but it's not "the end of creativity" or even "destroying the industry".

It's like other companies that create other games don't exist at all for you, damn.

COD is a fun (IMO) arcade-y game, that's all. There's other games that have their own market and customers.

Did Bobby run over and rape your damn dog? Jesus.

/rant

Get back to discussing Deus Ex, Persona, and other GOOD games you care about.

It's funny that people are holding up TF2 as an example, the game that sells $3 keys to gamble at a $1500 cosmetic hat.

Nothing exploitative about gambling, amirite

(._.) said:
I really will never understand why a game like this does so well.

hamster.gif

With XP, and prestige.

Boney

Banned
I'm scared

FieryBalrog said:
It's funny that people are holding up TF2 as an example, the game that sells $3 keys to gamble at a $1500 cosmetic hat.

Haven't spent a dime on it and I have everything.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Yeah. Damn people for spending $60 for hundreds of hours of gameplay they like. Those people should be spending that money importing shitty games from Japan, or buying artbooks, or multiple copies of the same game so they can keep one and avoid the greatest hits packaging later, or any number of things gamers blow their money on regularly in the monthly pick-up thread.
sam-jackson-clapping-geycj.gif

The sheer bitterness from exactly the type of people you just described is pathetic.

Anilusion

Nostalgia~4ever said:
I'd say no to that considering CS:GO doesn't look like a major effort. Same old maps again with a new paint that does not look much different from CSS.

Would be like the last 4 call of duty games then.

FieryBalrog said:

I dont know, TF2 is free and thats like a game within a game, you dont need to partake in the gambling to enjoy the full game.

Cod map packs partition the community and encourage other developers to include less content. Not to turn this into another COD vrs BF3 bonanza, but look at BF3, not even out and the community is already partitioned, they are working on map packs and announcing them when the game is not even out.

There are people who have spent thousands on TF2 crates.

There's something just a little distasteful about encouraging that shit with 0.003% drop rates.

stuminus3

FieryBalrog said:
Peer pressure on kids applies to all sorts of products and entertainment related media.
Right. It's horrible. Something should be done about it! But where do we start?

I'm thinking like forming a street team in the local neighbourhood or something. Print up some flyers to hand out to all the parents around the schools, showing them there's other options.

One kid won't make a difference but maybe with an organised effort and some Steam accounts for everyone we could get enough of them into it at the same time to make a splash. Especially now that TF2 is free to play, that could help with buy in. I'd even go as far as pointing out that $15 for 4 new zombie maps is pretty weak in comparison to Left 4 Dead 2 receiving like what 10 new campaigns since release including all the ported ones from L4D1? Shit goes on sale all the time too.

I might not work but it'd be a start, better than doing nothing.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I love the neck beards response to this. "I weep for gaming" "This is what's wrong with gamers" blah blah blah blah.

Patapwn

I don't hate or even dislike call of duty but I wish the games I love could enjoy a similar degree of success...

...BWAHAHAHA Fuck I was just joking. Screw COD to HELLL! (am I doing it right now?)

Himself said:
Over 18 million people helping destroy creativity in the industry.
I don't like Activision, but to be fair, it is not their fault that everyone is chasing that call of duty money. Why can't someone put COD money into something like a platformer or fighter. Hell take that money and make a whole new genre. Point is there was little creativty long before COD blew up

Chavelo

stuminus3 said:

I'm thinking like forming a street team in the local neighbourhood or something. Print up some flyers to hand out to all the parents around the schools, showing them there's other options.

One kid won't make a difference but maybe with an organised effort and some Steam accounts for everyone we could get enough of them into it to make a splash. Especially now that TF2 is free to play, that could help with buy in. I'd even go as far as pointing out that $15 for 4 new zombie maps is pretty weak in comparison to Left 4 Dead 2 receiving like what 10 new campaigns since release including all the ported ones from L4D1? Shit goes on sale all the time too.

George_Takei_LOLs.gif

PairOfFilthySocks said:
Neither is your grammar.

O4uPk.gif

Fixed. :3

Mr_Brit

Banned
Phonomezer said:
What can you say really; great games deserves great sales.

I'm not a big fan of CoD, but they're top notch FPS games.
You don't wanna be sayin dat round these parts boy, them's dangerous words you's speakin.

Boney

Banned
FieryBalrog said:
You have everything in TF2? Everything?

My ass you do.
I have all the stages, and I've been unlocking some weapons by playing. So I don't get some silly hats, big deal, characters look better without it.

Boney said:
I have all the stages, and I've been unlocking some weapons by playing. So I don't get some silly hats, big deal, characters look better without it.

You don't even have all the non-cosmetic stuff (or even close). Yeah, that's "everything".

creid

The next time someone complains that DLC is "killing the gaming industry," can we point out how this DLC brought a quarter of a billion dollars into the gaming industry?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
more than a quarter billion revenue from these map packs, I'm betting they're happy.

stuminus3

Oh shit I just realised Activison sell their map packs through Steamworks, fuck. My plan is useless, I'd just be driving them back to where they came from.

Anyone got a better idea? I think the kids might love Quake Live. I sure love Quake Live.

Ninja Scooter said:
Yeah. Damn people for spending $60 for hundreds of hours of gameplay they like. Those people should be spending that money importing shitty games from Japan, or buying artbooks, or multiple copies of the same game so they can keep one and avoid the greatest hits packaging later, or any number of things gamers blow their money on regularly in the monthly pick-up thread.

*applause*

Mr_Brit

Banned
creid said:
The next time someone complains that DLC is "killing the gaming industry," can we point out how this DLC brought a quarter of a billion dollars into the gaming industry?
Those quarter of a billion dollars could have been used to finance 100 super-ultra niche JRPGs though. I don't see how any true gamer could live in this world knowing that possibility.

Absinthe

Seems like a lot of people keep comparing this to TF2, but these are completely different games. The reason COD sells more than team based games like TF2, BFBC2, is because you can still feel like a good player if your alone without a team.

Sure like all FPS's they're better with your friends/clan/team, but with COD if none of those people are on XBL you can still play and have good games on a shitty team if your a good player.

On question, cause I only have TF2 on PC, are all those maps available for free on console as well?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
stuminus3 said:
Oh shit I just realised Activison sell their map packs through Steamworks, fuck. My plan is useless, I'd just be driving them back to where they came from.

Anyone got a better idea?

Maybe we should buy a truckload of MW3 discs then ceremoniously burn them in a heap like they burned the disco records back in the 70's.

Tenck said:
Quake beats CoD down to the ground. Only reason it's not as popular is because people don't like the steep learning curve.

*sigh* Quake was popular. It sold well enough, it had an active online and had a pro-scene. I have no problem with CoD, it's a fun game when bored, I do have a problem with developers thinking they can copy COD and somehow get a piece of that pie.

stuminus3

Maybe we should buy a truckload of MW3 discs then ceremoniously burn them in a heap like they burned the disco records back in the 70's.
Great... but... we'd have to buy them... :p

akmcbroom said:
On question, cause I only have TF2 on PC, are all those maps available for free on console as well?
Microsoft says no. Microsoft are like Kotick's evil twin. It's a double dose of evil. It's like Glenn Danzig and Michale Graves being on the same stage.

stuminus3 said:

One kid won't make a difference but maybe with an organised effort and some Steam accounts for everyone we could get enough of them into it at the same time to make a splash. Especially now that TF2 is free to play, that could help with buy in. I'd even go as far as pointing out that $15 for 4 new zombie maps is pretty weak in comparison to Left 4 Dead 2 receiving like what 10 new campaigns since release including all the ported ones from L4D1? Shit goes on sale all the time too.

You guys act as if every other FPS game is dead. Why do you guys want CoD fans to suddenly start infesting your online games is beyond me. TF2 sold well enough has a large active population, CS 1.6 still has a active online, not every game needs to be like CoD and super popular.

stuminus3

AlimNassor said:
You guys act as if every other FPS game is dead. Why do you guys want CoD fans to suddenly start infesting your online games is beyond me. TF2 sold well enough has a large active population, CS 1.6 still has a active online, not every game needs to be like CoD and super popular.
Sorry, I'm not sure if you're serious.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
So much bitterness from people when CoD success is being discussed. It's kind of sad to see. You don't have to play the games.

Top Bottom