• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Black Widow' solo movie gets writer Jac Schaeffer

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
captain-america-civil-war-3.jpg

Marvel's Standalone 'Black Widow' Gains Momentum With Jac Schaeffer Writing
Marvel is finally pushing ahead with the highly anticipated “Black Widow” standalone movie starring Scarlett Johansson with Jac Schaeffer penning the script.
Sources say this is still very early development, as the film has no greenlight, but naming a writer is the closest the studio has come to moving forward on a standalone pic. Marvel President Kevin Feige met with several candidates before tapping Schaeffer, and Marvel execs met with Johansson to discuss what they wanted from a “Black Widow” writer.

Still very early days and it might not ever hit the screen, but it's nice to see this finally move a nudge forward.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is anybody clamoring for this?

I'd say so. Surprisingly, she gets a lot of positive responses when they poll movie audiences on what character they came to see. I guess it makes sense since she's a major female lead and more interesting than Wanda. I thought she was best in Winter Soldier. Speaking of, I wouldn't be shocked if they boost this solo movie a bit by adding in Hawkeye or Bucky.

Alx

Is anybody clamoring for this?

I'd watch it. Black Widow is a cool character (maybe the only one among the Avengers to show smarts and skills), and Scarlett Johansson a good actress. It has potential to be an interesting spy movie, with flashy fighting on top. Also it would be different than your usual super-hero movie. More like a Jason Bourne/Mission:Impossible one.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I guess the only positive thing is that her standalone movie would be the first time she's ever been believable at being useful for the situation at hand. Her and Hawkeye have no place among Gods and superpowered entities.

Kadayi

Banned
I guess the only positive thing is that her standalone movie would be the first time she's ever been believable at being useful for the situation at hand. Her and Hawkeye have no place among Gods and superpowered entities.
Sadly you are right. Albeit Red Sparrow is a kind of a rip on the Black Widow character, the distinct advantage it has as a movie is it's not set in a superhero universe. I like Johansson in the role of BW and she has great chemistry with the other Avenger actors, but standard fisticuffs is a bit low energy for MARVEL and they're unlikely to go down the Atomic Blonde route from a rating's perspective. Pairing her with Hawkeye could be an option but at the same time, he's kind of a one-note character himself. Punisher would be cool, but given he's being handled by the TV series I doubt Marvel would want to cross those streams, although if they were going down the R Rating route (Deadpool showed it could be done) it could be an excellent matchup.

BANGS

Banned
Seems like a pointless character to explore. But it does have potential as a spy thriller type film...

Top Bottom