• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ombs-with-disastrous-13m-friday/#7f34b8ce4f15

And this is what I've feared the whole time. Despite rave reviews and white-hot buzz in the film twitter bubble, Blade Runner 2049 is turning into (at least) a domestic whiff because general audiences didn't care. The very expensive ($155 million, after rebates) sci-fi sequel to a film that was itself a (somewhat) acclaimed bomb is essentially playing like Ridley Scott's ”for the fans" Alien: Covenant. The Ryan Gosling/Harrison Ford futuristic tone poem earned just $12.7m yesterday, including $4m (31%) in Thursday previews alone. Barring surprising legs akin to the far more crowd-pleasing Kong: Skull Island, we're looking at a $32m debut weekend, which is less than this May's botched Prometheus sequel/Alien prequel. At best, it'll tie Alien: Convenant's $36m debut. So much for the Rotten Tomatoes effect.

The lesson boils down to budget.
It's not handwringing about audiences rejecting intelligent adult fare, and it's not quite a rant about Netflix and VOD gobbling up adult moviegoers. If you want to make a sequel to Blade Runner, don't make it so bloody expensive that it has to play like a sequel to Star Wars. That Blade Runner 2049 will outgross Blade Runner in the first weekend and still be a borderline flop says it all.

Long read. Didn't want to copy the whoel article.

hot take. should have been faster paced with a bit more whizbang maybe. :/

sphagnum

Banned
It's my fault, I didn't see it yet because I have this annoying rash and I'm not sitting through a 3 hour movie until it's gone. Sorry guys.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Deserved. It was a bad movie tbh. I just cannot recommend a 2.5hrs movie like that to anybody but the biggest of cyberpunk fans.

I enjoyed it, but I feel awful for asking friends to come see it with me.

What a cruel world we live in. There was probably like 20-30 people max at the cinema I was in on Saturday watching it.

Ecotic

The marketing has been incredibly poor. People hardly knew it was being released and the commercials have been sparse and last half as long as a regular commercial.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Deserved. It was a bad movie tbh. I just cannot recommend a 2.5hrs movie like that to anybody but the biggest of cyberpunk fans.

>Deserved. It was a bad movie tbh

>I enjoyed it

R98fiEV.gif

I have issues with its plot but I don't think it should have bombed. For me it's more 6/10. I feel like a lot of people are excusing its flabbiness because of visuals/mood/sound and the fact its a BR sequel

Oh, yes, absolutely awful. Think of the things they could do with 2.5hrs on FB instead.

NCSOFT

That's unfortunate, and kind of unexpected too, I expected at least Mad Max level of box office, but I suppose the lack of action really makes a difference.
The film is superb, easily one of the best of the year.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So you enjoyed a bad movie, huh?

Yes, it isn't a movie for everybody. It is a movie I should have gone watch alone. There isn't much of an audience for this nowadays.

Oh, yes, absolutely awful. Think of the things they could do with 2.5hrs on FB.

Are you insinuating my friends don't have anything better to do with their time than browsing Facebook? Did you type that while wearing your fedora?

Xando

I was pretty suprised about the big hype on Gaf and Twitter because i never thought the first was so memorable but i guess this was just a bubble.

Still gonna watch it at some point though.

Slayven

150 mill for a sequel to a movie that only the nerdiest of the nerds watched and uphold.

What could go wrong?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn I've only been hearing good things everywhere I look IRL and online. Guess that's just a bubble, but even $13M feels low.

Great movie that I'll happily watch for years to come. Not the kind of movie I'm worried about a sequel for so for me the box office is whatever. Just glad it was made and exists.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I have issues with its plot but I don't think it should have bombed. For me it's more 6/10. I feel like a lot of people are excusing its flabbiness because of visuals/mood/sound and the fact its a BR sequel

The fact that it's a Blade Runner sequel is exactly the reason why people wouldn't excuse it. Since when do people excuse sequels to beloved films? Those are the ones that get the most scrutiny.

robotrock

Banned
Don't worry I'm going to save it. I've been buying a ticket to see it every day thanks to moviepass but haven't actually been going to see it because it's about six hours long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom