• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad's box office business plunges just like Batman v Superman's did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Topic is highly misleading.

The movie follows the same trajectory as Guardians of the Galaxy so far, except for being almost 50 millions dollars ahead domestically compared to the Marvel surprise hit.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=augustopen.htm

We need to see how it holds though. Already seeing signs of Guardians holding better on a daily chart. Guardians had some exceptional holds in later weeks.

I still don't think SS is going to pass GG domestically which means it will start falling behind.

At least SS shouldn't join BvS in the only 100 million plus opening to not get a 2x multiplier.

Wonder Woman will save us. If it comes in at 60% RT and doesn't take a swan dive in its second week it'll feel like the second coming of DCEU.

Unfortunately I have bad rumors for you: http://www.slashfilm.com/wonder-woman-in-trouble/

I was looking forward to this as well. But yeah, I already lowered every expectation I might have.

Still not out in Yurop so I haven't seen it yet but none of my friends are excited about it anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the delayed overseas release hurts it massively.

It opened on 5th August in most of Yurop. (Not out in Germany, Greece, Austria and Japan)

Sanjuro

Leaving out Deadshots actual suicidal attitude is the bigger sin.

Deadshot was really tragic in this film. Instead going for any character substance, or falling back Will Smith's charisma, they decided to only fill one vape cartridge full of Smith.

Subxero

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. The only issue I had. Other than the tattooed Jokers look, is that there is so much material to cover in a small amount of time. I was surprised that the theater was almost full.

I'm actually going again tonight with my Brother, Sister, and her husband.

Cheech

After sitting through this and BvS, I'm not sitting through any more DC dreck until they give those movies to someone who knows what they're doing. They're like 1980s store brand Marvel flicks, where the spaghetti sauce was watered down ketchup and crackers crumbled like sawdust. Just complete studio driven trash with not an original or creative thought in them.

Saturnman

Banned
It's not misleading at all. Opening nearly 50% higher than another movie and then losing that advantage entirely in just 7 calendar days is not "the same trajectory," not even close. By next week, it will be earning less than Guardians every single day and will finish its theatrical run tens of millions of dollars short of it.

That's one narrow way to look at it.

The other way to look at it is SS squad started out 30 millions ahead of GotG. A week later, it's 50 millions ahead. It will likely hit the 300 million domestic box office much earlier than GotG did.

But at GAF, that's a failure, of course.

tomtom94

The other way to look at it is SS squad started out 30 millions ahead of GotG. A week later, it's 50 millions ahead. It will likely hit the 300 million domestic box office much earlier than GotG did.

People want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy more than once.

I really wouldn't bet on that if I were you.

jediyoshi

Wonder Woman will save us. If it comes in at 60% RT and doesn't take a swan dive in its second week it'll feel like the second coming of DCEU.

I refuse to believe people genuinely have their expectations on a wonder woman movie being the redeemer in a post batman v superman / suicide squad world.

Thewonandonly

I love what WB/DC is doing with their movies. I liked Man of Steel. Loved BvS. Liked SS. I honestly don't know why everyone wants a carbon copy of the MCU just with DC characters. I'm so sick of the generic identical looking and feeling MCU movies that have terrible writing, a one liner every minute, and terrible villains. I've skipped the last 3 at the theatre because I know exactly what to expect.

A little variety is a good thing. Instead of crucifying the DCEU for being different, how about giving it a chance? So many people have this knee-jerk reaction to them because it's not the MCU and they tell themselves they're giving it a fair chance but you're really not. You go in wanting to hate it and you leave haying it and picking it apart for things you gave a free pass to in the MCU.

Want to know the biggest complaint I've read about suicide squad? It's "where was Batman, flash, wonder woman?" They say that the movie should have explained why they weren't there. Well those same people give every MCU solo movie a pass. They never ask where the other heroes are and don't complain. That the movie doesn't tell them why they're not helping. Double standards.
Well the reason that's the biggest complaint is becuase you have captain boomerang and Harley fucking Quinn going against a 5000 year old witch that can target secret bases without moving a inch. Yet she can't take out a girl with a bat. The biggest complaint is why the fuck did we need another save the world kind of plot you know instead of something different.

How much money will SS need to gross in order to cease doom/gloom threads?

People know it's going to gross a respectable amount. However, the fact that it's dropping 65% in its second weekend indicates that the majority of moviegoers don't like or recommend the film, which doesn't bode well for the DCEU at large. That's not a good outlook no matter how you spin it. DC films are getting a bad rap with each film, and that's something worth making a thread about, IMO.

Rooster12

They're like 1980s store brand Marvel flicks, where the spaghetti sauce was watered down ketchup and crackers crumbled like sawdust. Just complete studio driven trash with not an original or creative thought in them.

There aren't much creativity in Marvel movies either.

But the big difference is those guys at the very least know how to tell a solid story from beginning to end.

Meh I think there's plenty to defend in BvS personally. Plenty of bad decisions played into its production as well tho no doubt.

Suicide Squad though outside of will smith and Davis is pretty iredeemable to me tho. That shit don't got my sword.

Meh I think there's plenty to defend in BvS personally. Plenty of shit decisions as well tho no doubt.

Suicide Squad though outside of will smith and Davis is pretty irredeemable however. That shit don't got my sword.

I feel the casting in Squad is pretty good. Smith/Davis/Margot/Courtney is a decent four. I liked Hernandez too.

There's more potential for a Squad sequel than Justice League IMO

Dead

well not really...yet
After sitting through this and BvS, I'm not sitting through any more DC dreck until they give those movies to someone who knows what they're doing. They're like 1980s store brand Marvel flicks, where the spaghetti sauce was watered down ketchup and crackers crumbled like sawdust. Just complete studio driven trash with not an original or creative thought in them.
Sounds more apt to describe the MCU than anything else.

SS is clearly studio driven with the final cut, but MoS and BvS have a far more singular driven vision than any other comic book film made since Nolan. Silly to claim otherwise.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i liked suicide squad more then any of the other dcu movies but the whole damn thing requires another damn reboot they dun fucked it up

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Suicide Squad still making a profit is SAD. And people complain that Hollywood churns out crap; yet all over you see comments in response to shitty critical concensus that the movies sucks like "I'll see it anyways" or the tried and true "Be there 1st day" based on a trailer.

man i know it's early in filming stages, but the JL teaser trailer was really shit

if those snippets of dialogue were indicative of what we're getting in the final product, my god, stay away from me. The hell was with Cyborg's delivery when he said he didn't believe Batman was real

Every joke landed awkwardly like the 'i think he's kinda hot' from MoS

Also I've never seen a movie that apparently has had more riding on it than Suicide Squad

The review thread had like 49032902 pages
There's been like fifty box office threads on it
Ya'll are killing me

Kusagari

I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
man i know it's early in filming stages, but the JL teaser trailer was really shit

if those snippets of dialogue were indicative of what we're getting in the final product, my god, stay away from me. The hell was with Cyborg's delivery when he said he didn't believe Batman was real

Every joke landed awkwardly like the 'i think he's kinda hot' from MoS

See, this baffles me. The jokes were basically standard comic book movie fare. I just don't get your disgust. Btw, Batman's response to Cyborg was on point.

kswiston

Also I've never seen a movie that apparently has had more riding on it than Suicide Squad

The review thread had like 49032902 pages
There's been like fifty box office threads on it
Ya'll are killing me

All of these Suicide Squad box office threads are here so that people can gloat and argue. There's nothing all that special about Suicide Squad's run to warrant so many individual threads. You'd think it topped The Force Awakens or something.

tomtom94

Suicide Squad still making a profit is SAD. And people complain that Hollywood churns out crap; yet all over you see comments in response to shitty critical concensus that the movies sucks like "I'll see it anyways" or the tried and true "Be there 1st day" based on a trailer.

If nothing else it shows just how ashamed the trailer editors for Ghostbusters and Star Trek Beyond ought to be.

See, this baffles me. The jokes were basically standard comic book movie fare. I just don't get your disgust. Btw, Batman's response to Cyborg was on point.

They were lame and corny, not much more to it than that. JL is also a major visual downgrade from BvS, the change in cinematographers is super apparent.

Reviews only matter if you agree with them.

IMO reviews are one facet of a film. Shit like Transformers isn't gonna review well, but fucking hell I'm on board with robot fightin' and dumb shit like Fraser Crane yelling that THIS IS A CIA OP

All of these Suicide Squad box office threads are here so that people can gloat and argue. There's nothing all that special about Suicide Squad's run to warrant so many individual threads. You'd think it topped The Force Awakens or something.

It's a weird combo tbh. Even Star Wars stans don't get this fiery

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
If nothing else it shows just how ashamed the trailer editors for Ghostbusters and Star Trek Beyond ought to be.

Sure it shows that. But that shouldn't be the issue here. What would be fair is that consumers spent their money more wisely. You know, instead of basing what you watch on the quality of a trailer maybe base it on the actual quality of the movie.

They have amazing material to work from, why don't they use it?
YallPA.jpg

That's what he justice league should be ffs

EGM1966

How much money will SS need to gross in order to cease doom/gloom threads?
If it makes over $750 million WW it should be ok financial performance combined with TV deals etc. Given current domestic/row split it probably has to clear $800 million to really start delivering for WB/DC financially.

As a bad film and second big DC film in a row to be guenuinely bad (by standards of film not personal opinion): it doesn't matter how much money it makes it'll still be a fairly mediocre to bad film and always will be.

wachie

If it makes over $750 million WW it should be ok financial performance combined with TV deals etc. Given current domestic/row split it probably has to clear $800 million to really start delivering for WB/DC financially.

As a bad film and second big DC film in a row to be guenuinely bad (by standards of film not personal opinion): it doesn't matter how much money it makes it'll still be a fairly mediocre to bad film and always will be.
lololololololol

Spoken like a true box office expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom