• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad's box office business plunges just like Batman v Superman's did

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
WB execs are fucking retards, they forget this movie exist, a dark comic movie can exist and do well, only if it's made well, they are trying to copy Disney/Marvel and it's a fucking failure, we don't need Marvel tone, DC has always been darker, get better people to work on your projects, not rejects who decided to build a universe based on a shitty superman movie..
Interesting choice of pejorative there, bro.

As for this sentence -- based on what? Where does this notion come from? I've heard it several times from people who defended the tripe WB has been putting out. Watch Young Justice, Teen Titans (OG), Batman TAS, Superman TAS, JL, JLU or just read the actual comics. The DC universe is not one devoid of humor or lightheartedness. The aforementioned managed to balance a more straightforward serious approach while acknowledging the inherent silly nature of the medium.

There is more to DC than Frank Miller and 90s Dark Age comics. DC's bread and butter has always been hope and optimism. Hence them returning to with the whole Rebirth relaunch.

Blader

CinemaScore can't be used to evaluate movies' word-of-mouth on their lonesome; i.e., a B CinemaScore for BvS implies it was generally liked, when that was far from the case.

A B on CinemaScore certainly doesn't mean it was generally liked at all. The bar is already so slow for what audiences give an A on CinemaScore, then when a movie goes below that, you know the word of mouth is going to be exceptionally weak.

The same handful of dudes in every DC thread defending these shitty movies. How tiring.

At this point it's just easier to admit you have bad taste in movies than to say everyone else is wrong. There's nothing wrong with having shitty taste in things. I like Dominos pizza more than any other pizza. I have shitty taste in pizza and I'm comfortable with that.
Own that shit by admitting it's shit.

Rooster12

Edit: Also why the fuck does Ostrander like this? They butchered Rick, turned him into the character you would expect he would be if you never read his run.

Either he didn't write that article or he didn't watch the movie.

Rick Flag was a strong, solid character in the comics. Deadshot was a sarcastic asshole, none of that came across in the movie.

The same handful of dudes in every DC thread defending these shitty movies. How tiring.

At this point it's just easier to admit you have bad taste in movies than to say everyone else is wrong. There's nothing wrong with having shitty taste in things. I like Dominos pizza more than any other pizza. I have shitty taste in pizza and I'm comfortable with that.
Funnily enough its the same handful that hate them in every thread whining. Including you. But I mean please continue to preach your superior taste in superhero movies.

BlizzKrut

Banned

So I'm not allowed to think something isn't shit just because you think it is?

I'm fine with liking these films. I like plenty of bad movies, hell I actually like ID4-2. What I do NOT do is pretend the bad films I like are anything but the shit that they are. You can like shit, but you dare go around trying to convince people its chiocolate. Trying to defend a bad film and accusing everyone who doesn't of being "haters" who "don't understand it" just reeks of emotionally invested fanbyoism that's annoying as all hell.

Rooster12

Deadshot is literally just Will Smith with a bit more edge to em

LOOK AT THAT HAT

All they had to do was put in a scene similar to this:

LPcyhIp.jpg

I would have been sold.

I'm fine with liking these films. I like plenty of bad movies, hell I actually like ID4-2. What I do NOT do is pretend the bad films I like are anything but the shit that they are. You can like shit, but you dare go around trying to convince people its chiocolate. Trying to defend a bad film and accusing everyone who doesn't of being "haters" who "don't understand it" just reeks of emotionally invested fanbyoism that's annoying as all hell.
This is one of those things that I don't understand about people.

There are some real poop movies out there that I've enjoyed. I don't have any problem recognizing that they're really quite poop, but that I found enjoyment in them.

Guilty pleasures are real.

Funnily enough its the same handful that hate them in every thread whining. Including you. But I mean please continue to preach your superior taste in superhero movies.

Honestly, I just find this behavior entertaining. It's just so....weird. They're just movies. You don't need to make a million excuses in a million threads. You're constantly proven wrong or refuted, don't you get tired?
Just enjoy what you enjoy. You're not going to change any minds by blaming critics, fans, other studious, etc. If anything, you should expand on what you like about these movies. Truly get in depth and concisely explain why this movie is so good and try to get others to see what you see.

But I'll say what I said earlier - there is no shame in liking movies you know are bad. It's not a big deal. You can enjoy bad movies.

Rooster12

Some people genuinely think those are good GOOD movies, that's why they defend it.

Honestly, I just find this behavior entertaining. It's just so....weird. They're just movies. You don't need to make a million excuses in a million threads. You're constantly proven wrong or refuted, don't you get tired?
Just enjoy what you enjoy. You're not going to change any minds by blaming critics, fans, other studious, etc. If anything, you should expand on what you like about these movies. Truly get in depth and concisely explain why this movie is so good and try to get others to see what you see.
Who are you talking to, because it sure as hell isn't me. If anyone is making a million excuses in a million threads it's you. I've done nothing more than say I've liked the film, why and also talk about why it's flawed, I'm not even defending it right now nor have I from its criticism. Just admit that you're a pretentious jackass, own that shit because it sure as hell isn't impressing anyone else.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I only defend these films from people who ignore clearly explained plot points and people who call them worst films ever.

Some people genuinely think those are good GOOD movies, that's why they defend it.

The only defense I ever see amounts to "Fuck the haters!" "Fuck the Critics!" and "Go see it for yourself!" There is no eloquant, substantive defense of these movies I have seen, and certainly NONE that excuses the poor editing, dialogue and pacing. It's the same logical fallacies every time:

-All critics are biased!

-But, but, but Thor 2/IM3/AoU are worse, how come no one bashes those!?

-You're just a Marvel fanboy!

So I'm not allowed to think something isn't shit just because you think it is?

Not just me, almost everyone.
Hey, I like Spider-Man 3(I find asshole Peter hilarious), but it's not a good movie. I would never pretend that it is and I accept every criticism about it. I'm comfortable with it.

Sayad

How does this compare to Civil War's drop? Could it be just the difference between comic fans who would go see those movies weak 1 and then the movie's appeal to the general public showing up in the next few weeks?

Who are you talking to, because it sure as hell isn't me. If anyone is making a million excuses in a million threads it's you. I've done nothing more than say I've liked the film, why and also talk about why it's flawed, I'm not even defending it right now nor have I from its criticism. Just admit that you're a pretentious jackass, own that shit because it sure as hell isn't impressing anyone else.

Fair enough. All of you just kind of blend in.

And I know I'm a pretentious jackass. It's not a big deal.

3N16MA

Banned
Not just me, almost everyone.
Hey, I like Spider-Man 3(I find asshole Peter hilarious), but it's not a good movie. I would never pretend that it is and I accept every criticism about it. I'm comfortable with it.

Not everyone works the way you do. If someone genuinely thinks a film is good while critics think it is horrible, that person shouldn't have to admit it is shit.

If they can give reasons to why they think it's a solid film and why they enjoy it then let them be. You don't have to agree with them and they don't have to admit that a film is shit.

It's sad that these two terrible movies are going to finally compound and unfairly affect the WW movie which actually looks good.

If there hasn't been a good movie in the DCCU yet, what the hell makes you think that movie is gonna be good? Gal Gadot has as much range as a doorknob and the director has done nothing. Fanboys gon fanboy.

Picking up flaws in the movie is one's own opinion, you cannot force it on others unless they agree with you. This better fits on critics after 465M WW for SS.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

If I believed what the critics and box office numbers told me, Avatar would be a great a movie, not the lazily scripted, unoriginal, cliche-ridden mediocrity that I know it is.

Popularity is not a great bench-mark for quality.

EGM1966

They're just not making them good enough quality. I like good comic book movies and DC have some huge icons in their roster but since Nolan departed from Batman their output simply hasn't been of good enough quality.

Changes are required: and I don't mean studio meddling I mean from ground up changes to the creative team and if necessary delays to improve scripts for later films.

It's a huge risk to hope your bad film proves to be Teflon. More likely you'll get a good week if marketing was good then weak legs exactly like they're seeing.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Suicide Squad's box office business plunges just like Batman v Superman's did

Not surprised, although the movie was not a dumpster fire like BvS, after watching suicide squad i didn't want to see it multiple times in the theater like Civil War and The Dark Knight.

- J - D -

Wonder Woman will save us. If it comes in at 60% RT and doesn't take a swan dive in its second week it'll feel like the second coming of DCEU.

Topic is highly misleading.

The movie follows the same trajectory as Guardians of the Galaxy so far, except for being almost 50 millions dollars ahead domestically compared to the Marvel surprise hit.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=augustopen.htm

It's not misleading at all. Opening nearly 50% higher than another movie and then losing that advantage entirely in just 7 calendar days is not "the same trajectory," not even close. By next week, it will be earning less than Guardians every single day and will finish its theatrical run tens of millions of dollars short of it.

Glass Rebel

Still not out in Yurop so I haven't seen it yet but none of my friends are excited about it anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the delayed overseas release hurts it massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom