• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

The original film is coming back to theatres on Wednesday this week for only one showing at 7pm. Looks like I'll be VUDU renting it instead. I can't wait to see this!

Can't wait for this movie. Sucks that I can't find anyone to go with. I know a couple people I could ask to go but I don't think they're the type that would be interested in a 3 hour sci-fi. Might have to just roll solo.

yeah 2 of my best buds aren't into so I asked a bunch of other buddies to go with. Not a movie for everyone unfortunately :\. Don't think I ever went alone to watch a movie

Maybe Nolan should learn a lesson, be a bit more humble, and let some people write his film.

Letting jonah nolan write only would be a start.
They write almost every movie he made together. Jonathan will write his own films once he's done with Westworld, Nolan has been doing good enough keeping it within the family.

Probably not.

Kinda boring also fits the pattern of other Denis Villeneuve movies.

Man, I disagree with "Blade Runner is slow", but accept it as a valid opinion.

But "Denis Villeneuve movies are slow" is crazy-talk. Do y'all ever branch out beyond Marvel/Star Wars shit?

yeah 2 of my best buds aren't into so I asked a bunch of other buddies to go with. Not a movie for everyone unfortunately :\. Don't think I ever went alone to watch a movie

I go solo all the time. If you want to see it, you should go see it. Don't let that fear of being alone hold you back.

Besides, you aren't really interacting with your friend as you watch the film.

Saturnman

Banned
Man, I disagree with "Blade Runner is slow", but accept it as a valid opinion.

But "Denis Villeneuve movies are slow" is crazy-talk. Do y'all ever branch out beyond Marvel/Star Wars shit?

Incendies and the Arrival were enough for me. Not slow per se, but, yes, kinda boring, I'm not a fan of major plot twists just for the sake of major plot twists which those two movies are certainly guilty of.

Incendies and the Arrival were enough for me. Not slow per se, but, yes, kinda boring, I'm not a fan of major plot twists just for the sake of major plot twists which those two movies are certainly guilty of.
You should go watch Sicario and Prisoners.

And Arrival isn’t a plot twist for the sake of a twist; the movie is structured specifically and presents you crucial information throughout that provides a foundation for the reveal. The entire premise of the story is thematically based around the reveal. It’s like the complete opposite of a twist for the sake of a twist.

Blader

You should go watch Sicario and Prisoners.

And Arrival isn't a plot twist for the sake of a twist; the movie is structured specifically and presents you crucial information throughout that provides a foundation for the reveal. The entire premise of the story is thematically based around the reveal. It's like the complete opposite of a twist for the sake of a twist.

I don't really see that at all. I liked the movie just fine, and maybe my opinion would improve on rewatch, but my issue with the movie isn't just 'twist for the sake of twist' but that
the first contact story and the story of Amy Adams' child are forced together by this out-of-nowhere 'aliens want to help humans see the future' twist
and none of the way that that plotting is structured worked for me at all. It just felt like two distinct stories that didn't go together, and the connective tissue that was forcing them together felt...well, forced.

But yeah, Prisoners and Sicario are much more intense and move at a faster clip than Arrival.

mattp

my tickets came with a code for a "free" funko pop toy(gotta pay for shipping)
should i bother trying to sell it? i know people go nuts for these stupid figures

Aurongel

Sicario was one of the most stressful viewing experiences of my life, seeing that on the big screen had my heart pounding for most of the runtime.

I go solo all the time. If you want to see it, you should go see it. Don't let that fear of being alone hold you back.

Besides, you aren't really interacting with your friend as you watch the film.
I mean I never let it hold me back since I always had someone to go with. Unless my other friends flake on me -_-, I should be going with them.

I don't really see that at all. I liked the movie just fine, and maybe my opinion would improve on rewatch, but my issue with the movie isn't just 'twist for the sake of twist' but that
the first contact story and the story of Amy Adams' child are forced together by this out-of-nowhere 'aliens want to help humans see the future' twist
and none of the way that that plotting is structured worked for me at all. It just felt like two distinct stories that didn't go together, and the connective tissue that was forcing them together felt...well, forced.

But yeah, Prisoners and Sicario are much more intense and move at a faster clip than Arrival.
Regarding Arrival,
I don't see how you can say those two elements are forced together by the twist when the movie has been presenting the story of her child and about the language and perception of time from the start of the movie.
That's how a twist and a reveal differer IMO; Arrival's reveal lets you see the movie in a new light and recontextualizes the narrative, while a twist is more of an in-the-moment thing

Blader

I liked Prisoners, but that was the movie that made me a true Villeneuve believer. Masterful direction and control of tension in that film.

It was the scene during Prisoners' climax
where Gyllenhall is racing down the highway to get the girl to the hospital
that really sealed him as the real deal for me.

It was the scene during Prisoners' climax
where Gyllenhall is racing down the highway to get the girl to the hospital
that really sealed him as the real deal.

I was fucking shaking in my seat. This had never happened to me before, and I've watched plenty of horror movies.

Iceman

I think Sicario was a slow movie but its still fucking tense

I still remember feeling so anxious through the first act of the movie.. through Juarez.. that I was internally debating whether or not I should leave the theater if the tension didn't ease the F up. I bet I could count how many times I took a breath on two hands.

The combination of being in the dark, along with Emily/Kate, having (like her) an only vague understanding of the dangers in Juarez, the constant lurching of the vehicles, the escalation of the hazards (local cops with their faces covered up + hanging corpses), the claustrophobic streets & their maze-like layout, all leading up to the PROMISE of a confrontation at the border ... there was no freaking let up. So impressive.

I still remember feeling so anxious through the first act of the movie.. through Juarez.. that I was internally debating whether or not I should leave the theater if the tension didn't ease the F up. I bet I could count how many times I took a breath on two hands.

The combination of being in the dark, along with Emily/Kate, having (like her) an only vague understanding of the dangers in Juarez, the constant lurching of the vehicles, the escalation of the hazards (local cops with their faces covered up + hanging corpses), the claustrophobic streets & their maze-like layout, all leading up to the PROMISE of a confrontation at the border ... there was no freaking let up. So impressive.
That whole sequence from the briefing to the border is a masterclass in tension. Everything from the camera and framing to the music and editing works in sync wonderfully

I was fucking shaking in my seat. This had never happened to me before, and I've watched plenty of horror movies.

I felt this way about the whole
Firebird covering up the hole idea. The way it was shot, and the car's sound design, gave me chills. He somehow gave an old Firebird covering some plywood the presence of some decrepit beast guarding a pit.

Aselith

Man, I am so sad that the double features with Final Cut are going to be so limited. I don't usually go for the marathon releases but I would totally be on board for a Blade Runner double feature

my tickets came with a code for a "free" funko pop toy(gotta pay for shipping)
should i bother trying to sell it? i know people go nuts for these stupid figures

Which character do you get?

mattp

Man, I am so sad that the double features with Final Cut are going to be so limited. I don't usually go for the marathon releases but I would totally be on board for a Blade Runner double feature

Which character do you get?

its random

I'm not one to review the reviews for a film that I haven't seen...
but lol @ the associated press review.

But while "Blade Runner 2049" is always something to look at, an overly elaborate script and some other bad habits common to today's sequel machinery — such as glaring product placement — have broken the "Blade Runner" spell.

dude's never seen the original, huh?

Cess007

I'm not one to review the reviews for a film that I haven't seen...
but lol @ the associated press review.

dude's never seen the original, huh?

lmao I'm watching the original right now, and there's like a Coke ad in every scene. In some it doesn't even make sense for the ad to be visible. Also, isn't that kinda the point? A future in which corporations and advertising are on every corner?

lmao I'm watching the original right now, and there's like a Coke ad in every scene. In some doesn't even make sense for the ad to be visible lol

I think the logos and product placement are integral to themes of the world and film, and honestly integral to the iconography too. Blade Runner isn't Blade Runner without big-ass logos everywhere. Weird thing to criticize.

lmao I'm watching the original right now, and there's like a Coke ad in every scene. In some doesn't even make sense for the ad to be visible. Also, isn't that kinda the point, a future in which corporations and advertising are on every corner?

Yes it's very meta. And exceedingly prescient.

JDHarbs

My Mom is getting hyped for this movie and she's never seen the original. I always wanted a physical copy for my collection so I've been trying to locate one.

Checked Walmart...not available locally
Checked Best Buy...not available locally
Checked Barnes & Noble...not available locally
Checked Target...no page even exists on their website
Checked Amazon...shipping would take too long

Okay, maybe I can stream it.

Checked Netflix...not available to stream

Literally my only option at this point is to buy/rent digitally.

Welcome to 2017, I guess. Or I just waited too long. lol

My Mom is getting hyped for this movie and she's never seen the original. I always wanted a physical copy for my collection so I've been trying to locate one.

A lot of theaters are doing screenings Wednesday night. Would be a killer movie to see for the first time in a theater. Something to consider.

JDHarbs

A lot of theaters are doing screenings Wednesday night. Would be a killer movie to see for the first time in a theater. Something to consider.
I checked that too. I'd love to see it in the theater as well, but all of my local screenings are at 7pm Wednesday only which we can't make it to.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member

iTunes? They have The Final Cut version in 4K HDR

shit, there's a showing in Kanata, Wednesday night. There's no info on which cut they are showing though. Runtime is 1 h 57 m.

iTunes? They have The Final Cut version in 4K HDR

And failing that, don't overlook the possibility that a friend or family member may have a DVD or Blu-ray they'd be prepared to let you borrow while you wait for your copy to arrive.

By all accounts the new 4K edition disc set will knock your socks off, if you have the kit to play it on. I don't and I'm too ancient to care.

The Blu-ray edition I bought last year came with a little double-ended picture book and a model spinner (which is the closest I've been in my life to those early promises of a flying car). You also get every version a sane person would want.

Sicario was one of the most stressful viewing experiences of my life, seeing that on the big screen had my heart pounding for most of the runtime.

Sicario is Villeneuve's best film as far as I'm concerned. Kate Mecer is the hero people need, but not the one people want. I believe that's why a lot of people thought she was weak while Alejandro was the true hero by the end of the film.

Drahcir

David Ehrlich's tweet about how boring he found the movie has me legit worried for the first time. I mean, this is the guy that wouldn't shut up about CAROL.
I loved CAROL too though.

Top Bottom