• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

duckroll

I would love to, but not german dubbed...
And we have the biggest atmos Sound in europe @ the Zoopalast!!! But only in German, i could rage beyond belief here.
Seriously considering driving to Eindhoven to watch it in a Dolby Cinema...

Wow, that sucks. Are dub screenings that popular there? :(

CloudWolf

Germany is one of those countries that dubs everything. Last time I was there, I had to go to specialized screenings to even see non-German dubbed films.

The crazy thing is, a lot of people there (including young people/students) vastly prefer dubbed films. A friend of mine even said that if she downloads films and series, she's always looking for torrents of German-dubbed versions.

ZombAid82

The most popular by far, would say about 90% are watching the dubbed version, if not higher. Subtitles isn't the regular thing in Germany, unlike the Netherlands.
Everybody is conditioned here to watch the dubbed Version...

ZombAid82

So, how should i watch this Movie, in 2K 2D or IMAX 3D?
These seem to be the only possiblities in Berlin... :-(
Haven't found one, who does original Language 2D and 4K...
Does anybody know, which one has a 4K projection here in Berlin?
Which one would you watch?

Sorry for the quote, but new site...

Deakins says the film was designed for widescreen without 3D in mind, so I think unless you REALLY want the IMAX screen/sound, there's little point in doing that anyway. I'm watching it in the biggest screen here with Atmos. Fuck IMAX 3D conversions. :)

Well theres a 2d atmos screen right across it. Its not the biggest one but the colors and quality are excellent, just watched kingsman on it last week
I fucking hate how 3d imax dulls the shit out of everything, most movies this year were 2d on my local imax so i thought the fad was dead.
Its that or a hour and a half drive for the next closest one( im not even sure if thats 2d)

Edit: oh and the seats on the 2d one are WAY better than the regular imax ones, almost recliner sofa tier.

CloudWolf

I've got some required reading for anyone checking out the original for the first time this week, or just any fans of the original film. Really fucking excellent piece.

This Future Looks Familiar: Watching Blade Runner in 2017

I feel like she misses a pretty big point in the film here though, which the second commenter also indicated. Roy Batty & friends aren't just 'people looking for honest jobs' who are hunted down, they are very dangerous people/replicants who kill a lot of people over the course of the film. That old Chinese dude and J.F. Sebastian are innocent, yet they are used, tortured and murdered in cold blood by Roy Batty and his gang. The one replicant the writer points out as having a job and being unfairly gunned down by Deckard was specifically built and coded as an assassin-murder bot. Also, we don't know what she as doing there, it's strongly implied that she was planted there for some part of Roy's plan, not because she found a job.

She definitely has a point about it being an allegory for stuff going on in the real world (hence the not-so-subtle denouncement of what the Blade Runners are doing at the beginning of The Final Cut where it says 'This was not called execution, but retirement'), but you're defenitely not meant to side with Roy Batty at any point in the movie. He has sypathetic goals, yes, but the means he uses to get there are not okay.

I feel like she misses a pretty big point in the film here though, which the second commenter also indicated. Roy Batty & friends aren't just 'people looking for honest jobs' who are hunted down, they are very dangerous people/replicants who kill a lot of people over the course of the film. That old Chinese dude and J.F. Sebastian are innocent, yet they are used, tortured and murdered in cold blood by Roy Batty and his gang. The one replicant the writer points out as having a job and being unfairly gunned down by Deckard was specifically built and coded as an assassin-murder bot. Also, we don't know what she as doing there, it's strongly implied that she was planted there for some part of Roy's plan, not because she found a job.

She definitely has a point about it being an allegory for stuff going on in the real world (hence the not-so-subtle denouncement of what the Blade Runners are doing at the beginning of The Final Cut where it says 'This was not called execution, but retirement'), but you're defenitely not meant to side with Roy Batty at any point in the movie. He has sypathetic goals, yes, but the means he uses to get there are not okay.

I think you’re absolutely meant to side with Roy Batty by the end of the film. The “tears in the rain” monologue is absolutely intended to show both Deckard and the audience that the replicants are the ones deserving of your sympathies, not the humans. The plight of the replicants is so fucking dire that it’s easy for me to overlook some of their questionable methods. They’re slaves staging a violent coup such that they can live out the remainder of their tragically short lives in freedom, and I can’t really fault them for that.

I think you’re absolutely meant to side with Roy Batty by the end of the film. The “tears in the rain” monologue is absolutely intended to show both Deckard and the audience that the replicants are the ones deserving of your sympathies, not the humans. The plight of the replicants is so fucking dire that it’s easy for me to overlook some of their questionable methods. They’re slaves staging a violent coup such that they can live out the remainder of their tragically short lives in freedom, and I can’t really fault them for that.
Pretty much. If we’re going to use the slavery allegory, us hearing Deckard and the cops talking about Replicants killing people and being so dangerous is like a bunch of slave owners talking about that Nat Turner massacre that happened a few counties over. Of course it’s framed to us as senseless and ruthless and Replicants are just murdering people so they’re dangerous and have to be stopped.

Sadly here in Germany it's not a question of dubs being popular or not. It's the standard. ;( In my city movies play in original sound on one sunday as a special. That said, those screenings aren't too popular, either, haha.

Oh, also every film only is available in 3D (whenever that is an option). Not a problem for me but a colleague can't see 3D so he can't even see Blade Runner 2049 at the theatre.

Adry9

Germany is one of those countries that dubs everything. Last time I was there, I had to go to specialized screenings to even see non-German dubbed films.

The crazy thing is, a lot of people there (including young people/students) vastly prefer dubbed films. A friend of mine even said that if she downloads films and series, she's always looking for torrents of German-dubbed versions.

Same thing in Spain. I got really lucky they decided to do a 4K + Dolby Atmos screening with the original voices for this one, if it weren't a cult film it wouldn't be happening. 99% of the times if you don't want the dubbed version you get the shitty room.

CloudWolf

I think you're absolutely meant to side with Roy Batty by the end of the film. The ”tears in the rain" monologue is absolutely intended to show both Deckard and the audience that the replicants are the ones deserving of your sympathies, not the humans. The plight of the replicants is so fucking dire that it's easy for me to overlook some of their questionable methods. They're slaves staging a violent coup such that they can live out the remainder of their tragically short lives in freedom, and I can't really fault them for that.

Oh yeah, I agree that it's not black and white and that the humans (especially Tyrell) are the ultimate evil in the film. Though I still think that Blade Runner above all shows that both sides are capable of terrible shit. The ending is beautiful because it's about both sides (Deckard and Roy) realizing all has been for nothing. He's saving Deckard because what's the point of killing him? Nothing has changed and nothing will change, tears in the rain.

Arkeband

Banned
Is part of the mystery going into 2049 supposed to be which ending of the original is canon? I feel like the uncertainty surrounding Deckard is less story-based and more due to the director fucking around.

The motive for the replicants returning to Earth is to find a way to live beyond their programmed four-year lifespan. They are fugitives subject to summary execution, and so they must cover their tracks.

While their interaction with humans is universally menacing, the brutality of the killing is only emphasized in Roy's killing of Tyrell, which is the only time you see a replicant killing a human on screen. Chew's death is implied, Sebastian's death is mentioned but not depicted. This contrasts with the brutality of Rick Deckard's killing the fleeing Zhora, which is deliberately filmed in a balletic style with slow motion, closeup, and enhanced lighting. The scene is considered so cinematically important that Joanna Cassidy was brought back more than thirty years later to refilm portions in which a less-than-perfect stunt double had been used, using modern CG techniques to merge her face into the original sequence.

Leon, Pris and Roy are all depicted using unsettling fighting techniques, perhaps recalling the android Ash's attempt to choke Ellen Ripley with a rolled-up magazine in Ridley Scott's 1978 SF horror, Alien. Rick invariably resorts to his gun when he can, but the effects of using the weapon are not overlooked. Pris doesn't meekly lie down and bleed to death.

Window

I don't think the film begins to build sympathy for the Replicants until Zhora's death. They're definitely shown in a sinister light before that (and even after) but with moments which make you feel something deeper for them scattered throughout, until it all completely reaches a crescendo in that moment where Roy saves Deckard despite his (justified) anger, grief and fear.

Is part of the mystery going into 2049 supposed to be which ending of the original is canon? I feel like the uncertainty surrounding Deckard is less story-based and more due to the director fucking around.

The endings aren't that different, are they?

In the Director/Final cuts, Deckard and Rachel get in the elevator to make an escape, cut to credits.

In the theatrical, they get into the elevator, cut to them driving off into the sunset. A little more tonally hopeful, but narrative-wise: the same.

Adry9

In the Director/Final cuts, Deckard and Rachel get in the elevator to make an escape, cut to credits.

In the theatrical, they get into the elevator, cut to them driving off into the sunset. A little more tonally hopeful, but narrative-wise: the same.

You are missing the unicorn part. That's key.

Depends on if the unicorn stuff was in all the cuts. That’s a pretty unambiguous hint IMO

That is the "happy ending" tacked on by the studio, using surplus footage from a Kubrick film to which Warner Brothers owned the rights.

Depends on if the unicorn stuff was in all the cuts. That’s a pretty unambiguous hint IMO

The unicorn daydream was not in the original releases. The footage had been shot but was cut during editing.

That is the "happy ending" tacked on by the studio, using surplus footage from a Kubrick film to which Warner Brothers owned the rights.

Yes, I know. My point is that what actually happens in the ending: Deckard and Rachel run away together, is the same in either cut. It's more of a tonal change from optimism to uncertainty than an actual plot change.

Woops, sorry about the DP

Mr. Sam

It's a way to put the brakes on the death of the German language, I believe.

UrbanRats

It's a way to put the brakes on the death of the German language, I believe.
It's not just Germany though, and it completely destroys a movie, especially if dialog heavy.

Having to wait for VOD or Bluray makes me salty AF, too, since they take forever.

I just gave up on the idea of not getting spoilered.

Global distribution for movies (and to a lesser extent TV) is so outdated.

nOoblet16

I'm not sure if I should watch it on 70mm IMAX or normal cinema. Usually I'd go for IMAX no doubt but if Deakins filmed with the 2.39:1 aspect ratio in mind then then 1.43:1 ratio of IMAX might not be as good of an option.

I'm not sure if I should watch it on 70mm IMAX or normal cinema. Usually I'd go for IMAX no doubt but if Deakins filmed with the 2.39:1 aspect ratio in mind then then 1.43:1 ratio of IMAX might not be as good of an option.

Deakins has said that his preference is a standard 2D screening, fwiw.

Addi

For once we are getting a movie before the US :p Have my tickets for tomorrow, 4K 2D Atmos, great seats. I'm so hyped!

nOoblet16

Deakins has said that his preference is a standard 2D screening, fwiw.

The thing is 70mm IMAX are just as wide as your normal "widescreen" cinema , it's just that they are also taller in comparison. Unless you meant to say he was refering to the standard 2.39:1 aspect ratio.

I might go for IMAX digital (basically liemax) slightly larger screen size than normal cinema, but without the boxy IMAX aspect ratio but has the same IMAX audio.

The thing is 70mm IMAX are just as wide as your normal "widescreen" cinema , it's just that they are also taller in comparison. Unless you meant to say he was refering to the standard 2.39:1 aspect ratio.

Deakins was meaning he prefers not to have the extra information on the top and bottom of the screen in the IMAX presentation. At least that is how I interpret it.

Yes, you are getting more visual info in IMAX, but it isn't what they actually wanted to show even if it was shot safe for that format.

mattp

this

nOoblet16

Deakins was meaning he prefers not to have the extra information on the top and bottom of the screen in the IMAX presentation. At least that is how I interpret it.

Yes, you are getting more visual info in IMAX, but it isn't what they actually wanted to show even if it was shot safe for that format.

Alright I'll just go for 2D liemax, just for the sake of sound and slightly bigger screen. It has the same aspect ratio as normal screens.

Won't it just be presented with black bars in widescreen like anamorphic blu ray?

What? In IMAX? No, they did a separate version for the IMAX with a different aspect ratio, but Deakins doesn't seem to prefer it, based on the conversations about the film on his website.

Ryan_OrangeDesert_eblast_528x279.gif

They didn't protect for 1.43:1 IMAX they did 1.90:1.

The shots are composed for 2.39:1 scope though. I want to see the composition as originally intended so IMAX is a no go.

I'm sure this has been asked 100 times, but which version of the original should I watch before seeing this? Saw it when I was young but barely remember it.

nOoblet16

They didn't protect for 1.43:1 IMAX they did 1.90:1.

The shots are composed for 2.39:1 scope though. I want to see the composition as originally intended so IMAX is a no go.

1.90:1 is the liemax aspect ratio I presume? Because those while not 1.43:1, still look a bit boxier than 2.39:1

I'm sure this has been asked 100 times, but which version of the original should I watch before seeing this? Saw it when I was young but barely remember it.

Final Cut.
Although imo the final cut doesn't really raises the question that Is Deckard a replicant? primarily because a) There's no narration (which was awful btw) and b) The unicorn scene followed by Gaff making a unicorn origami which hints that he may know of Deckard's dreams, further hinting that it may be because Deckard is a replicant (This origami is missing from Final Cut)

Addi

1.90:1 is the liemax aspect ratio I presume? Because those while not 1.43:1, still look a bit boxier than 2.39:1

It's basically 16:9. That's what digital cameras shoot in by default an then they crop the top and bottom away to get 2.35/2.39.

Top Bottom