• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT December 18th (OH MY GOD 5 DISC SET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If all they did was clean up some stuff and add in some violence, color me disapointed. I was hoping there were some different cuts of certain scenes that scott prefered that would make it in.

Its still Blade Runner in HD, so Im all over it, but I was hoping for a bigger departure than the directors cut.

Im also pleased with the pricing on this for HD media.. 28 bucks for the 5 disc version including 4 HD masters of the movie.. not bad.

The Internet said:
My favorite movies are better than your favorite movies!

P.S. You have terrible taste.

Yeah they should add more explosions to pacify the internet.

And in this case my favorite movie is. ;)

StoOgE said:
If all they did was clean up some stuff and add in some violence, color me disapointed. I was hoping there were some different cuts of certain scenes that scott prefered that would make it in.

Its still Blade Runner in HD, so Im all over it, but I was hoping for a bigger departure than the directors cut.

Im also pleased with the pricing on this for HD media.. 28 bucks for the 5 disc version including 4 HD masters of the movie.. not bad.

I believe it is a whole new edit, but it's just nothing drastic. Subtle things here and there.

Digital bits has a in-depth article about the Final Cut

FnordChan

MrSardonic said:
Which version is the one to watch? Is the narration better than no narration? Too many fucking choices!

When in doubt, go with the director's preferred edit, unless the director in question is George Lucas. In this case, it sounds like the Final Cut has been wonderfully revamped with a strong emphasis on cleaning up the visuals.

To sum up all the versions of the film:

Original Theatrical Cut - With studio mandated narration and the tacked-on happy ending.
International Cut - Theatrical cut with a bit more violence.
Director's Cut - Not really a director's cut, but it does ditch the narration and the happy ending.
Final Cut - Ridley Scott's perfectionist edition. Looks to be awesome.
Workprint - An early edit with music changes and some narration, only for the hardcore.

I strongly agree with Solo that the narration in the original theatrical cut was pretty lousy and would suggest that you're better off without it. The Final Cut beckons!

FnordChan

Sorry to bring this up but I was wondering if anyone knew if the Box Set that looks like a metal briefcase is actually a limited numbered edition or just mass-produced?

Solo

Pretty sure it is limited. Because if it werent, why would they have ANOTHER SKU with all the same stuff in it, but not in a briefcase?

Solo said:
Pretty sure it is limited. Because if it werent, why would they have ANOTHER SKU with all the same stuff in it, but not in a briefcase?

Well, if I look at the Lord of the Rings 'Limited Edition' with the statues and bookholders, there's still plenty unsold ones laying around in dust everywhere at 10$ each.

Coen

Could someone tell me if the UK version, sold on play.com, features dutch subtitles? I'd really like to put in on my Christmas wishlist, but it's not out until next month in Holland.

Best Buy will be selling the 5-disc digipack set (sans briefcase), for those that want the workprint and its extras, without paying a lot more. The SRP is 54.99, though, so maybe it'll be 40 on sale.

B.K.

Solo said:

So there's another set that has the disc that comes with the briefcase?

VistraNorrez said:
Best Buy will be selling the 5-disc digipack set (sans briefcase), for those that want the workprint and its extras, without paying a lot more. The SRP is 54.99, though, so maybe it'll be 40 on sale.

I was just checking Amazon and they have the briefcase set on sale for $54.99.

Coen said:
Could someone tell me if the UK version, sold on play.com, features dutch subtitles? I'd really like to put in on my Christmas wishlist, but it's not out until next month in Holland.

The fact that you're posting here means you can read English right?

I've never liked Dutch subs, it makes my brain go back and forth. English subs ftw.

B.K. said:
I was just checking Amazon and they have the briefcase set on sale for $54.99.

I'm not sure how the briefcase will fair in the mail, though, but that is a great price for the ultimate set. But like I said you'll probably be able to get the 5 disk only set for $40 from Best Buy next Tuesday.

B.K.

Yeah. I'm definitely going to check Best Buy next week. I didn't know there was another set that had the workprint version. I thought that only came with the briefcase set.

ge-man

Damn, didn't know this was coming out. Just after my birthday as well. This and the new Lupe Fiasco album are so mine.

I paid 27 euros for this 5 disc set: link

3512198x.jpg

I'm just listening to the (oddly named) 'Blade Runner Trilogy' special edition soundtrack. It's 3 CDs: the original soundtrack from '94, the rest of the soundtrack (at last! - no more duff bootlegs*) and a CD of new music 'inspired' by Blade Runner.

31UPFPpjtBL._SS500_.jpg

*although there's probably some stuff still only available on a bootleg.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Crossposted from format wars thread:

What is Bill Hunt talking about?

Okay... we've heard back from Warner Home Video. That Best Buy version of Blade Runner: The Final Cut isn't an exclusive after all. Turns out it's the exact same Five-Disc Ultimate Edition on DVD that's available everywhere else in the briefcase... and yes, it does include the briefcase. Best Buy basically just posted the artwork for the Digipack that's in the case, rather than the briefcase itself. Go figure. So there's no exclusive, and the 5-disc DVD version (that includes the workprint) isn't available in Region 1 without the briefcase. We've revised our in-depth review of the set accordingly.

shantyman said:

?

I'm not sure what he's talking about. Both the HD DVD and Blu-Ray have 5 disc sets (sans briefcase) available at Amazon. That's the way I'm going... I have no use for the trinkets, but I do want the workprint.

kIdMuScLe

shantyman said:

He is talking about the DVD version only!! you need to buy the briefcase in order to get the workprint. This has been known since day one.

kIdMuScLe said:
He is talking about the DVD version only!! you need to buy the briefcase in order to get the workprint. This has been known since day one.

But some confusion recently happened where he reported that Best Buy had an exclusive digipack only 5 discer. This has been proven false and you have to buy the briefcase.

Shaneus

Does anyone know that with the HD-DVD/BR versions, if the other 4 discs (other than the Final Cut) are standard DVD or are they high-def as well?

Xristot

Oh man, i saw this in the theaters about two weeks ago. I was really surprised by the quality of the print. It was beautiful. Great movie. Sign me up for the 4 disc set.

Gattsu25

Banned
shantyman said:
Sorry I caused so much confusion. I read what he wrote as not DVD, but "ALL OPTICAL DISC MEDIA PACKAGES".

:(
Ahh

Well, now that I don't have to send you coal anymore I'll have more stamps for my own personal use

SOCAL GAFFERS: Best Buy in Oceanside (off Vista Way) broke SD on the Blu-ray 5-disc set. Walked in there today to see what kind of deal they had on Lost season 3, and walked out with Blade Runner for $34.99.

No DVD or HD DVD copies on the shelves, just the 5-disc Blu-ray version (sans briefcase). They've got about 7 of them out there. Anyone interested, go, go, GO.

B.K.

VistraNorrez said:
But some confusion recently happened where he reported that Best Buy had an exclusive digipack only 5 discer. This has been proven false and you have to buy the briefcase.

I guess that makes the decision for me to get the Blu-Ray version. I want the Workprint DVD, but I don't want to spend the extra money on the briefcase.

Zabojnik

Need some help here guys. I'd like to preorder the briefcase blu-ray set. European version. I only found it on ebay.co.uk, for the price of 84€. What's the recommended price anyways?

B.K.

I was just looking at the Best Buy sales paper for this week and they're going to have the briefcase set for $54.96. I might just get the Blu-Ray, since it's cheaper.

Does anyone know if any stores have a buy one, get one free sale for Blu-Rays? I'd like to get Blade Runner and 2001, if I could get one free.

....wow....fucking wow!

....just watched the ENTIRE 3 and half hour "Dangerous Days" documentary....

possibly the finest supplemental I've ever seen....seriously, its insane and I adore Blade Runner that much more because of it

Variable

Does anyone have any screen caps comparing the DVD to Blue Ray or HD DVD? I want to see what kind of quality difference there is.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I bought the 5-disc Special DVD for the lady's Xmas present.

She loved it. And I did too. So getting one for myself.

And the origami unicorn is crappy, yet cool. And the weird Deckard hologram thing is amusing.

AgentOtaku said:
....wow....fucking wow!

possibly the finest supplemental I've ever seen....seriously, its insane and I adore Blade Runner that much more because of it

I was a bit disappointed with the Final Cut itself. It's... Blade Runner. Cleaned up and fixed, some very short extra dialogue of questionable relevance and maybe 20 seconds of extra footage. But still Blade Runner.

The same goes with the workprint version (on disc 5). A collector's item perhaps, but generally worrthless otherwise.

Luckily, there are more discs. I have yet to comb through the Dangerous Days documentary (probably very good) on disc 2, but I am amazed no one is talking about the alternate/deleted scenes on disc 4. It's hidden under two dozens featurettes (many of them quite interesting, BTW), but all the scenes are set up chronologically with added music and lots of Harrison Ford commentary never used in the original version of the movie. It's like 50-minute version of the movie with a completely different feel to it. The real movie is still better by a long shot, but you get a different perspective and some extra background info you never knew existed. I really liked how much longer the Holden apartment scene was and there are also some weird moments like when Gaff and the police chief eavesdrop on a conversation between Deckard and Holden ('you fucked a skinjob?').

I think I would have been disatisfied with the 2-disc edition of Blade Runner.

AgentOtaku said:
....wow....fucking wow!

I still have to watch that, I only really checked out the final cut and raced the car around my room having it crash into the unicorn

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up the Blu Ray Ultimate CE set?

I've been looking for it locally, can't find it...

I don't mind paying $100, but if I can get it for cheaper, I'd gladly do so lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom