• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT December 18th (OH MY GOD 5 DISC SET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instigator said:
I think I would have been disatisfied with the 2-disc edition of Blade Runner.

You say this and haven't watched the 3.5 hour documentary.

I find the different versions of Blade Runner to all feel quite different (the domestic and international are basically the same). The pacing is just different enough in them. The workprint feeling the most different.

I'm not sure what you were expecting from the final cut. It could only be so different. There are a lot of little differences, that, to me, add up.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Having seen the final cut theaters, I just went straight to Dangerous Days. It's pretty interesting and thorough. The dropped idea of Tyrell having been dead for months and Batty killing his replicant replacement? I said wow.

I feel like splurging on a replica of Deckard's blaster now.

Armitage

I got the 2 disc set (final cut + dangerous days) and I'm totally satisfied with it. The movie is spot on perfect, and I have no interest in seeing the versions with voiceover after seeing a clip on the second disc with them. I felt like laughing when the VO came over after the Tears in Rain speech, it ruins the best part of the movie. Awesome awesome movie and seeing this definitive version first makes me not really care about what came before.

The doc is great too. I would have loved to have had more of Harrison but it's to be expected that he doesn't say too much here. The idea of Tyrell being a replicant was pretty cool but, I think, would have just been a meaningless twist. If Tyrell isn't Batty's "father" it kind of loses some of the impact of him being killed.

There were a couple of samples from this movie that were used in Paul Oakenfold's the Goa Mix that I had forgotten came from this movie. Where Deckard is giving coordinates to his TV computer with the Vangelis score in the background.. wow that was so cool to unexpectedly see. And the tears in rain speech, holy shit, that was a perfect moment. It felt like the movie was ending there.

The last 20 seconds or so were just so perfect. After the "tears" speech it felt like the movie had passed its climax, but the energy level shot up so rapidly at the absolute last minute. So awesome.

SuperPac

I haven't seen Blade Runner in about 10+ years. Sat down and watched The Final Cut this evening. Completely awesome, looks great in high-def. Like, REALLY great. Since I hadn't seen the theatrical version in a long time I wasn't able to spot any differences...until I watched Dangerous Days and they started showing scenes I didn't recall from The Final Cut. I'll have to go back and watch that later.

Such a good movie... and it has a sort of timeless quality to it where it really doesn't feel like it's aged 25 years. The FX and the environments and the lighting and the style of everything is just that well-done.

Defcon

Banned
MarkMan said:
Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up the Blu Ray Ultimate CE set?

I've been looking for it locally, can't find it...

I don't mind paying $100, but if I can get it for cheaper, I'd gladly do so lol..

Haven't seen it in stores. Got mine from Amazon.

Been on a cyberpunk bender after viewing the Final Cut + Dangerous Days. Ordered the Blade Runner game, started a playthrough of Snatcher, and dug out my copy of Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep. Absolutely phenomenal film.

VistraNorrez said:
You say this and haven't watched the 3.5 hour documentary.

I find the different versions of Blade Runner to all feel quite different (the domestic and international are basically the same). The pacing is just different enough in them. The workprint feeling the most different.

I'm not sure what you were expecting from the final cut. It could only be so different. There are a lot of little differences, that, to me, add up.

That's because I have always been craving extra BR footage and finally got it, on disc 4.

I'm assuming the documentary is quite good, but I'd rather see more Blade Runner rather than more people talking about Blade Runner. :D

Instigator said:
That's because I have always been craving extra BR footage and finally got it, on disc 4.

I'm assuming the documentary is quite good, but I'd rather see more Blade Runner rather than more people talking about Blade Runner. :D

It more talking about what Blade Runner could have been, would have been, or not have been at all. Taking ideas and directions the movie could have gone and running them through the narrative that was creates even more possibilities for the core story than the deleted footage can give you.

Chiggs

Gold Member
fallengorn said:
Having seen the final cut theaters, I just went straight to Dangerous Days. It's pretty interesting and thorough. The dropped idea of Tyrell having been dead for months and Batty killing his replicant replacement? I said wow.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I found the deleted hospital scenes interesting, too. Holden essentially states that VK machines aren't getting the job done, and that the replicants are like a "plague." Pretty intriguing stuff.

Xdrive05

Red Blaster said:
Been on a cyberpunk bender after viewing the Final Cut + Dangerous Days. Ordered the Blade Runner game, started a playthrough of Snatcher, and dug out my copy of Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep. Absolutely phenomenal film.

Cyberpunk is just one of those things that gets you. It's almost a mode of thinking or something - that catches your interest and you want to explore all its different outlets. At least that's how it is with me.

But it's kind of weird and hard to define at the same time. For instance, I really REALLY want to call A Clockwork Orange a cyberpunk work, though I'm at pains to make the connection. It feels a LOT like a cyberpunk movie/world, though it doesn't have the pervasive technology.

Maybe it's just the artful dystopia setting that makes them seem comparable. But I digress.

Warm Machine said:
It more talking about what Blade Runner could have been, would have been, or not have been at all. Taking ideas and directions the movie could have gone and running them through the narrative that was creates even more possibilities for the core story than the deleted footage can give you.

Yeah, but I've already heard, read and saw people talking about the same thing. Blade Runner was not a taboo subject in the last 25 years and you're not talking to a new fan here. Even the main people involved in BR have talked about those issues before either in magazines, interviews or unofficial documentaries. I more than welcome if the process continues and it's certainly convenient to have it all in one source, but to me, it's still familiar territory.

The unseen material is what's new (despite very shaky footage of the hospital scene leaked before). It's also something tangible, especially in the light of the very disappointing Director's Cut of the movie or the subtlely changed Final Cut.

In short, just popped in the Final Cut Blu-Ray (5 disc LE bitches!) and it still reigns as my fave film of all time.

Perfection squared.

Armitage said:
I quite like the crucifixion idea from a symbolic standpoint but I don't like how he does it himself.

Through his death, he sort of saves Deckard's humanity (
regardless if he is a replicant or not
). Roy and Deckard really play off each other in this sense.

teepo

Armitage said:
But why does he do it to himself?

"severe and unjust punishment or suffering; persecution."

also religion is an undertone throughout the entire movie, and more so in the novel.

Armitage

I'm watching the commentary right now with the two writers and they just mentioned some endings they had written:

- Rachel commits suicide
- Rachel gets Deckard to kill her

Crazy stuff, they're constantly arguing about who wrote what too :lol

I saw it for the first time a couple of nights ago. Great film and it has really held up well. The only thing that really shows its age is the 80's music that seeps in every once in a while, but the jazzier numbers are fantastic. I loved it.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I just re-watched this again, loving as much as I remembered. The only thing that confused me was why Bryant was filling Deckard in on so many details that one would assume he would have known already.

Zabojnik

I need a quick answer. Is the 5 disc BD Collector's Edition region free? I'm from Europe, I'd like to get it and on ebay.co.uk they are saying it's gonna work on UK (PAL) PS3, even though it's supposed to be region 1 (US, CA). What's up with that?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
It is. I have it in the post as we speak on the way to me so I can play it in my PAL PS3 also.

shantyman said:
I just re-watched this again, loving as much as I remembered. The only thing that confused me was why Bryant was filling Deckard in on so many details that one would assume he would have known already.
Exposition?

Question, my country's edition seems to be only the two-disc edition, my guess is the second disc is the second one of the five set. It costs around 20€, is the 5 disc set edition really worth the extra money?

mollipen

Finally got the chance to watch my Blu-ray copy of this last night, and good god is the movie beautiful. Scene after scene I was shocked that this is a 25+ year old movie.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Xdrive05 said:
Cyberpunk is just one of those things that gets you. It's almost a mode of thinking or something - that catches your interest and you want to explore all its different outlets. At least that's how it is with me.

But it's kind of weird and hard to define at the same time. For instance, I really REALLY want to call A Clockwork Orange a cyberpunk work, though I'm at pains to make the connection. It feels a LOT like a cyberpunk movie/world, though it doesn't have the pervasive technology.

Maybe it's just the artful dystopia setting that makes them seem comparable. But I digress.
You also get a lot of stuff about the nature of reality along with the direction society's moving (to the point that the main character doesn't much matter as much as the central idea does) in cyberpunk. Clockwork Orange has that going on as well.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
A friend bought me the HD-DVD set for my birthday. Brilliant stuff, loved the remaster.

eLGee

Prime crotch said:
Question, my country's edition seems to be only the two-disc edition, my guess is the second disc is the second one of the five set. It costs around 20€, is the 5 disc set edition really worth the extra money?

Fuck yes.

ManaByte

Gold Member
shidoshi said:
Finally got the chance to watch my Blu-ray copy of this last night, and good god is the movie beautiful. Scene after scene I was shocked that this is a 25+ year old movie.

That's what doing a 4K digital remaster gets you.

Defcon

Banned
I've got the DVD set and even it looks absolutely fantastic. Now that I have a BR player, I really need to get that version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom