• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard hiring for Classic Games (SC, D2, War 3) to "restore them to glory"

KKRT00

The higher resolution break some aspects of the game. At HD and higher resolutions you can attack mobs from range without engaging them because you are outside of their awareness for example.

But thats not an issue, because:
Its not a competitive game.
You still can attack npcs from outside of the screen just by assuming they are in the next room.
Everyone runs maphacks that show npcs anyway and they dont get banned.

jotun?

Please make WC1, WC2 and Diablo 1&2 workable on Windows 10. No graphics updating. I want them just to work and be exactly like originals.
I'd also be fine with no graphics updating, other than support for modern resolutions. I think switching the old 2D games to a 3D engine would likely do more harm than good. But the CONTROLS have got to be updated for most of the old games. Warcraft 1 is absolutely painful

But thats not an issue, because:
Its not a competitive game.
I hate this argument.. game design doesn't matter if it's not a competitive game?

RPGCrazied

Yeah! Give me Diablo 2 /w expansion HD and StarCraft /w expansion HD! I'd buy that so hard. I love Diablo 2 the most, but it really hasn't aged well graphically.

A Diablo 2 + Lords of Destruction remaster that retains the colours, tones, proportions, and overall art direction of the original, along with the music and sound effects, would be super fucking dangerous to my time.

D2 + LoD is my gold standard for isometric loot heavy ARPGs.

t9bScLe.gif

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
No D1? I'd love a more streamlined rebalanced remaster of that game. Or at least a good HD cleanup and redone UI.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just want to play Warcraft 2 at a decent resolution. Maybe update the graphics if they have to (as getting old sprites to play nice with modern resolutions can be tricky) but don't even think about touching the music and sfx.

Sounds more like a compatability fixing job than new assets. I'm not oppose it though, customizable key binds in wc3 would be a great start instead of having to use warkey.

KKRT00

I hate this argument.. game design doesn't matter if it's not a competitive game?
No, it doesnt matter when the game is about killing NPCs and visibility and clarity is more important than 'screen area' for competitive balance.

The only reason why the screen size matters is competitive setting where You cant give one player advantage over other.
Diablo-like games are not those games.

And 800x600 or (640x480 in vanilla) was not a design decision, but a technical limitation back in 2000.

Ps. There is also concept of Fog of War for game design purpose.

e90Mark

Diablo 2 + LOD remake would be absolutely amazing. D3 is fun, but I've put considerably less time into it than D2 over the years.

Boogdud

I would buy these in a heartbeat.

But I have to say, it's a bit depressing that they are just now sending out feelers for hiring on these positions. I would have thought this was long underway at Blizzard. Especially since they've hinted at it for what, 2 blizzcons?

Zizbuka

Banned
Warcraft 2 is one of my favs of all time, would love an update.

And an offline, single player WoW would be nice too.

zoukka

I would buy these in a heartbeat.

But I have to say, it's a bit depressing that they are just now sending out feelers for hiring on these positions. I would have thought this was long underway at Blizzard. Especially since they've hinted at it for what, 2 blizzcons?

They can sell the old versions to people for premium so there has not been a real need to remaster the games.

A Diablo 2 + Lords of Destruction remaster that retains the colours, tones, proportions, and overall art direction of the original, along with the music and sound effects, would be super fucking dangerous to my time.

D2 + LoD is my gold standard for isometric loot heavy ARPGs.

D3 has already surpassed D2 in most aspects

Roe

I hope they rebalance the game. Nothing worse than a remade D2 with hammerdins everywhere.

Also d2jsp, that is all.

bengraven

Warcraft 3, Starcraft

Fuck yes, let me give them a shot finally! Awesome!

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on, what's wrong with D2, ain't nothing wrong with D2 don't need to change nothing...

And an offline, single player WoW would be nice too.

I've actually been wanting this for a long time.

With a world that huge and colorful and full of personality, it's a shame that we can't preserve it somehow and play it without server updates.

I would straight up play a single player version of WoW (with optional multiplayer drop in).

dork

Banned
Warcraft 3 needs a remaster, and I mean like a full re-do with updated graphics, maybe even engine like company of heroes. My god please

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Diablo 1 is a great, great game, and very different from 2. I hope they don't skip it.

For sure. Gameplay-wise I'd say D2 eclipses it in every way, but the atmosphere/feel of Diablo 1 is untouchable.

This is presumably for the re-releases and/or remasters.

Also noteworthy since this is explicitly under a new "Classic Games" job section, which is decidedly different than the "Unannounced Projects" section that was hiring for a new Warcraft title.

Source: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=15000XZ

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you.

Thank you for posting this.

Savitar

DO WANT.

I've been wanting to play SCII and the original for examples for ages but the original is....well yeah and the second just looks.....so old. The resolution stinks.

Huddy

A new Diablo more in keeping with D2 would be something I'd play Blizzard. I like D3 more now after Reaper, but it's still nowhere near the glorious level of D2.

I'd be all in for a TFT remaster. Maybe double dipping is the wrong phrase but I'd pay another 30 bucks for that in a heartbeat.

Lothars

No Warcraft I and II? and they're still hiring now, so this stuff is still a long ways off?

):
I think they will announce it at blizzcon

A new Diablo more in keeping with D2 would be something I'd play Blizzard. I like D3 more now after Reaper, but it's still nowhere near the glorious level of D2.
I don't agree I certainly think it's easily on par with D2 LOD but I would love to see a remaster of D2.

I couldn't go back to Diablo 2 after how good 3 is. It just feels slow and boring now.

Oddly, I could totally go for a restored (with some kind of gameplay enhancement) version of Diablo 1, just because the atmosphere is so amazing.

Same with War 3 vs War 2. I get that War 3 is a more mature, deep game, but War 2 has this permanent spot in my heart, and I'd love to play it again.

Top Bottom