• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard releases updated Warcraft 3 hero models to use in StarCraft 2 maps

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm still wondering if this will ultimately culminate in the HD Remaster of Warcraft 3 that seems to have some signs floating around.

Blizzard said:
We’re excited to announce the models and assets that made Warcraft III an amazing universe to explore are now available in the StarCraft II PTR.

This brings over three thousand new materials for the amazing Arcade development community to work with, including new hero models for the 4 primary races, all of the original Warcraft III models including neutral creatures and their sounds as well as doodads, structures, spell effects, ambient sounds, music and custom user interfaces for each race.

We are so excited to see what our community is going to make that we wanted to give you a head start. Once these assets become available to the public, we are going to spotlight the best content in what we are calling, “Memories of War.” The PTR is your chance to start playing with your new tools and to start making amazing experiences.

What are some of your favorite moments in Warcraft’s history? Whether it’s from the first opening of the dark portal in Warcraft: Orcs and Humans to Grommash leading the Iron Horde in Warlords of Draenor, we want to see it recreated in the StarCraft II editor. We’d love to see anything from screenshots of epic battles, single-player missions recreated from your favorite game, mini-games using the new assets or anything in-between. However you want to celebrate, we want to see it. Send us a link to your creations at Arcade@Blizzard.com or tweet to us @BlizzardArcade.

To access the StarCraft II PTR, simply select it from the Region/Account dropdown on the Battle.net desktop home screen and begin the installation. Once it’s complete, you can click on the ‘Launch Editor’ next to the ‘Redeem a Code’ or launch the editor directly by navigating to your StarCraft II Public Test folder.

http://eu.battle.net/arcade/en/blog...=external-sso&utm_medium=other&utm_source=App

73w0ioa6xxa6142239451w0qpj.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So, basically, instead of remaking the game, they just increased asset resolution and are now asking the fans to do the rest of their job?

I'm ok with this.

Steel

Banned
People don't play Starcraft 2 custom maps though.

I'm still wondering if this will ultimately culminate in the HD Remaster of Warcraft 3 that seems to have some signs floating around.

Now this is something I would buy. Hell I'd buy multiple copies.

People don't play Starcraft 2 custom maps though.

Now this is something I would buy. Hell I'd buy multiple copies.

Last we heard of anything like that, it was "Oh we'll update it to run on the latest Windows/Mac OS systems"....and then the icon popped up in the Battle.net Launcher files and then nothing.

I'm down for anything, I just want to play it on my Mac again (or my PC I guess).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
pretty sure the sc2 custom scene has been dead for a while

It's their own damn fault.

I bought Wings of Liberty expecting Blizz to not fuck up the single thing that made WC3 so lasting, and lo and behold, they did fuck it up.

Why is that tho? WC3 custom maps are played to this day.

Would have wished for WC4 instead of WC3 re-release.

blizzard tried to control it and fucked it all up

their goofy ass only host some maps and only show the popular stuff really destroyed any visibility for new stuff and made it look completely empty when in reality there was stuff there but no one saw it, thus no one played it, thus no one made shit for it

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why is that tho? WC3 custom maps are played to this day.

I'd rather see WC4 instead of a potential WC3 re-release.

Because you can't setup your preferred way to run maps like in WC3... In Warcraft 3 you could name your lobby anything ("3v3, no casting heroes!" "FFA, timers disabled!") meaning you could start a map knowing exactly what you were playing and how, and the maps weren't organized by what was most popular, but what was most recent so new maps could make head way.

Now when you start a map with a lot of options, you have no idea if the lesser popular ways will be voted at the start (hint, they won't) and you're essentially stuck with the top 10 most played maps or sitting in a lobby forever alone.

Trace

Banned
Blizzard you might be doing something right for once.

You're scaring me.

Please give me more Warcraft RTS

In an ideal world, they would update WC3 to prepare for a WC4 announcement.
In the real world, I'm not holding my breath for anything.

Kinyou

I saw this a day ago but didn't realize the models were updated. For some reason they cropped the pictures in their announcement.

This is blowing my mind.

Please let this lead to a Warcraft 3 remaster. I say this, because I find the idea of a Warcraft 3 remaster to be more likely than Warcraft 4.

Please, Blizzard. Return Warcraft to it's RTS roots.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In an ideal world, they would update WC3 to prepare for a WC4 announcement.
In the real world, I'm not holding my breath for anything.

They're working on something related to Warcraft that's under unannounced projects (seemingly a new Team 6), but I suspect it's another spin-off instead of an RTS.

An RTS would presumably come from the StarCraft II/Heroes of the Storm team (Team 1) if it was going to be made.

Not sure if I'd buy a remaster of War Craft 3 seeing as the original game is still fun

I just want a sequel :(

.......................................................................................................................................okay I might reconsider if it means more people to play with + showing Blizzard that I indeed want a sequel by supporting the remaster

Mr Swine

Banned
They're working on something related to Warcraft that's under unannounced projects (seemingly a new Team 6), but I suspect it's another spin-off instead of an RTS.

An RTS would presumably come from the StarCraft II/Heroes of the Storm team (Team 1) if it was going to be made.

Didn't Blizzard say that they had a small team working on a Remake of Warcraft 1-3?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Except for Anub and Illidan, the originals all look better, stylistically.

Malganis has a cartoonishly long face. Arthas has a beard??? They gave Tyrande two extra heads for some reason.

And Kel'thuzad just looks kind of wimpy.

Loxley

Not sure if I'd buy a remaster of War Craft 3 seeing as the original game is still fun

I just want a sequel :(

.......................................................................................................................................okay I might reconsider if it means more people to play with + showing Blizzard that I indeed want a sequel by supporting the remaster

Maybe a remastered Warcraft 3 is Blizzard's way of testing the waters to see just how much enthusiasm there would be for a Warcraft IV - what with strategy games falling by the wayside over the last few years in favor of MOBAs.

Maybe a remastered Warcraft 3 is Blizzard's way of testing the waters to see just how much enthusiasm there would be for a Warcraft IV - what with strategy games falling by the wayside over the last few years in favor of MOBAs.

your right this is likely the case so I will support it

Boogdud

I think someone was already working on a complete remake of WC3 even before these assets were announced. Wonder if one had anything to do with the other?

Announcement from December.

pantsmith

I saw it mentioned elsewhere, but it would be neat to see fans come up with campaigns that account for all of the lore and important battles of the WoW timespan.

Sooooo much material to chose from, a lot of it great.

Dunkley

This and the Battle.net Icons/Background for Warcraft 3 definitely seem to hint at some possible greatness incoming.

Top Bottom