• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzcon 2016 - THE YEAR OF THE DEVIL? WE SHALL SEE!

Which Blizzcon announcement are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bearthgar

Banned
I actually really like the Diablo 1 remaster. I mean, after d3 they are gonna have a hell of a time figuring out where to take the story.

The ancient defeated spirit of Diablo is back AGAIN!

As a Diablo fan trying to catch up.

Wtf does Diablo 1 in Diablo 3 mean?

And nothing on d2 remaster?

Not a big fan of necromancer, but witch doctor is so damn lame I might try it. Wasn't expecting d4 to be announced this early, though did have a small glimmer of hope.

they didnt even show gameplay of the D1 thing? but that one guy talked about the lore in hearthstone for like 20 god damn mins.

I don't want to be mean but... Do you know how big Hearthstone is and how much money it makes for Blizzard right now?

Priorities were on point.

Heroes of the Storm taking so much time though, THAT was a mistake but I still get why they spent so much time on it because it is at this point the least played game they talked about today so they need to draw attention to it however they can.

Eh, I'd like to play around with a new class. I will spend money on that. Did they give any hint when in 2017 it's coming?

Edit: sorry for lack of specificity, meant necromancer in Diablo 3.

Calcium

Banned
I actually really like the Diablo 1 remaster. I mean, after d3 they are gonna have a hell of a time figuring out where to take the story.

The ancient defeated spirit of Diablo is back AGAIN!

It's not a Diablo 1 remaster. It is a rift themed like the cathedral. That's all.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
New class, but have fun playing it in the same content you've been playing for two years.

Hari Seldon

I guess I can get excited about D1 if they keep the same punishing difficulty and permanent talent schemes and everything from D1. But if it is just D1 dialog in D3 with all the other D3 shit then fuck it.

Edit: Oh it is just a rift theme? Then it is nothing at all.

Cynar

As a Diablo fan trying to catch up.

Wtf does Diablo 1 in Diablo 3 mean?

And nothing on d2 remaster?

Not a big fan of necromancer, but witch doctor is so damn lame I might try it. Wasn't expecting d4 to be announced this early, though did have a small glimmer of hope.
It's not the 20th anniversary of d2 so give that a bit

What's funny is the Diablo 1 patch isn't going to be new textures or environments and maybe Diablo will have a different model. Right now, from how lazy blizzard has been with Diablo, I just envision some fan-made type level where the monster's scale and you kill Diablo at the end.

/cry

Hold me.

So that's interesting: surely this is the first BlizzCon with no boxed product on the horizon, coming off two big launches in 2016, as every game has switched over to serving as a long-term service platform.

Biggest disappointment for me is the lack of an additional SC2 single-player campaign to give the Zerg or Protoss an equivalent to the Nova missions. Looking forward to Stukov, though. The co-op content has been absolutely killing it—Nova was a phenomenal design and the mutations, by and large, are more unique and challenging than ever.

I actually expected a retro Diablo remake in some form as the anniversary announcement. Relative to the boxed launch of a new D3 expansion or a D4, it seems that the current model of patching in Adventure Mode zones for free and offering a new class as a "single-feature mini-expansion" of a DLC plays to the existing base of people who are, for whatever reason, still playing: the ones who want to drive the classes around all day without much concern for one-time-use story content. I'm not part of that base, but I'll definitely stick around for the D1 remake before I shelve the game indefinitely again.

The most interesting announcement coming out of this, in all honesty, was Ragnaros. I only sit down with Heroes of the Storm for a few binges a year, but it's the idiosyncratic hero designs that make that game tick, and I love this concept. Still, that speaks to how we're heading into an off-year for Blizzard releases; they've spread themselves thin over rapid, piecemeal digital content. In the past, at this point in the product cycle, they didn't host a BlizzCon at all. But I think this is a clear sign that the platforms-and-patches model is here to stay.

Calcium

Banned
I guess I can get excited about D1 if they keep the same punishing difficulty and permanent talent schemes and everything from D1. But if it is just D1 dialog in D3 with all the other D3 shit then fuck it.

Again, we are not getting a Diablo remaster. It's just a 16 level dungeon themed like the Cathedral from Diablo.

So its a 16 floor rift? That still seems pretty cool

Or is it a rift based upon one floor in diablo 1?

He specifically said Cathedral, so it's going to be 16 levels with 4 bosses from the original game.

I'll just put this out there but I personally think the Diablo franchise needs to shift to free to play with microtransactions in the vein of storage space, classes and stuff so personally, I'm excited.

Day one Necromancer sale here.

Plus, didnt he say its only 13 levels down to big red?

so 1st level is main church
3 are dungeons
3 are catacombs
3 are caves
3 are hell

that's my guess.

Baleoce

For what they did announce, I'm okay with it. I'd be lying if I said I was satisfied overall though. Not really enough for a 20th anniversary. But if things aren't ready then it can't be helped. I wonder if they plan to do the same with D2 in D3 eventually?

I'll just put this out there but I personally think the Diablo franchise needs to shit to free to play with microtransactions in the vein of storage space, classes and stuff so personally, I'm excited.

Agreed. I would love if it had an added store similar to what China has with the various cosmetic things.

I'll just put this out there but I personally think the Diablo franchise needs to shit to free to play with microtransactions in the vein of storage space, classes and stuff so personally, I'm excited.

Yep lets encourage that practice ugh.

Good job.

Won

Games as a service was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Announcing a character pack to be released 3 years after the last expansion just feels like a scrapjob.

D1 remake......in D3...is gonna be a moment to remembered too.

Games as a service was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Announcing a character pack to be released 3 years after the last expansion just feels like a scrapjob.

D1 remake......in D3...is gonna be a moment to remembered too.

What does that even mean though?

An okay opening ceremony ruined by that garbage Diablo ending. Uninstalling D3 when I get home tonight.

How does a company so huge manage to trickle out so little content?

Syf

Banned
So that's interesting: surely this is the first BlizzCon with no boxed product on the horizon, coming off two big launches in 2016, as every game has switched over to serving as a long-term service platform.
New class, but have fun playing it in the same content you've been playing for two years.
Yeah. This is what's troubling in the long run. If they only intend to release DLC content for existing games.. no. I've already played Diablo 3's areas over and over again, adding a few new things isn't going to keep me around for long.

I'm going to go play Diablo 2 now, and if the future of Blizzard games is character packs and microtransactions, I'm out. Already told them how I felt in that survey, obviously there's enough cash cows for them to milk.

And no, I do not care how big the budget was for the game. AAA developers need to rein in bloat they have.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Welp, I just realized why Metzen quit.

He saw the fucking script of this opening ceremony and bailed the fuck out.

Calcium

Banned
How is it so many people do not understand the Diablo 1 thing? It's not a remaster of the original, people. It's a themed rift to celebrate the anniversary. You aren't getting the entire original game remade in Diablo 3. It's a 16 floor dungeon. Those of you expecting an actual remaster are going to be sorely disappointed.

The practice of buying products you want?

The practice of buying a single Character (not a expansion) , that should have been in the game already and the witch doctor is no different. Next they're going to have you buy the all the other classic D1/2 characters. Shit might as well make the prime evils character you can buy, shit make them pet cosmetics.

Top Bottom