• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLM Activists Interrupt Hillary at Private Event in South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pineapple

"Now let's get back to the issues that I think are important."

Holy shit...

Edit - Apologize for the slight misquote. Actual words were - "Back to the issues...the issues that I think are important - "

Cerium

"Now let's get back to the issues that I think are important."

Holy shit...

That's not what she said. She said "Back to the issues." Then the video cuts off at the beginning of another sentence.

I would actually like to hear the rest of that sentence.

Pineapple

That's not what she said. She said "Back to the issues." Then the video cuts off at the beginning of another sentence.

"Back to the issues...the issues that I think are important."

Either way, "back to the issues"? Really? Not to mention she had the girl thrown out for asking an honest question, and talked down to her in the process.

She comes across in a very negative way in this video. Wouldn't be surprised if this went viral.

royalan

Really hard to see how Hillary could have handled this better. Will be interesting to see how she responds to this.

I would actually like to hear the rest of that sentence.

"Back to the issues, um, the issues that I think are important [video ends]"

That's verbatim.

Edit- beaten.

Cerium

"Back to the issues...the issues that I think are important."

Either way, "back to the issues"? Really? Not to mention she had the girl thrown out for asking an honest question, and talked down to her in the process.

She comes across in a very negative way in this video. Wouldn't be surprised if this went viral.

What I want to know is how that sentence ended.

For example, was it "The issues that I think are important include criminal justice reform"?

I've read in gaf that she is very serious and business like. Stern etc

So not wanting to get interrupted would follow that trend.

Doesn't work very well for her here and she should have had a caring answer and then being stern.

If you are ever around serious people though, they put what they believe is right first and sort of angrily without thinking of any other issue. This isn't always bad but definitely can be as it is imo

It isn't exactly her question that got her talked down to. No matter what she or who she was would probably get her talked down to.. Maybe.

I think a lot of those videos of people talking about doing coming up to hug hillary are always staged for the most part

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Whats the history behind the quote she was holding up?
The huffpo article delves on it but doesnt provide much context

Lord Fagan

Not the best look, but hardly a bombshell. A $1000 ambush that was doomed to bounce off the Secret Service forcefield is an almost predictable thing for a candidate of her caliber. This isn't the "47%" kind of damage, but her response, or more likely her complete non response, will be what matters.

It would be good to hear the rest of the sentence before it got cut off. With the way it's cut, it makes it seem like she was dismissing the protester's grievances—placing them below other issues—when it's possible she was going to lead into that discussion.

Cerium

Clinton referred to young black kids as "super predators", saying that "we have to bring them to heel".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALXulk0T8cg

Hillary should have apologized. Instead, the girl was thrown out and dismissed.

She was talking specifically about gang members in the 90s when gang violence was high. You can make an argument that she shouldn't have used that rhetoric, but you shouldn't misrepresent what she said.

CDX

I guess all things considered that could have gone even worse.

But still not that great a look.

Perhaps if the BLM girl gave her a chance to respond without continuing to interrupt maybe Hillary would have responded a bit more. Or maybe Hillary wouldn't have. I dunno.

What I want to know is how that sentence ended.

For example, was it "The issues that I think are important include criminal justice reform"?

Yes I would have liked to hear the rest of Hillary's sentence.

Clinton referred to young black kids as "super predators", saying that "we have to bring them to heel".

To be fair Hillary is specifically talking about gang violence.

But yes phrases like "super predators" can be seen as racially coded and I do think it's also fair to ask Hillary for an explanation about that.

Newt

I don't think Hilary really cares too much about black lives anyways. I don't live in the US, but it's actually surprising that she has more black voters than Bernie does.

royalan

Correction: Hillary was speaking on youth gang violence. The speech wasn't meant to be an indictment of young black kids.

HOWEVER, it was a very poor choice of words. Superpredators has always been toxic language. Even as a Hillary supporter I can't defend that, other than looking at her voting record in the Senate to see that it was exactly that: a poor choice of words.

I don't think Hilary really cares too much about black lives anyways. I don't live in the US, but it's actually surprising that she has more black voters than Bernie does.

You would have a better idea if you lived in the US. Bernie just effectively ceded the black vote to Hillary by skipping SC and a lot of the southern states.

Yeah she's been terrible ever since that first forced meeting with BLM where she avoided questions and talked down to them, to every interview about it since.

Her polling so high anyway shows she's a really good politician.

watershed

Banned
Activist singular. Mass incarceration should be viewed as a national shame. I've only ever heard Hillary say "it had consequences we did not intend" which is bs. Anyone could have told her and Bill Clinton and every other politician who helped perpetuate mass incarceration what the effects would be on the black community, black families, and black men.

Here's a little background on what the protester was talking about:

By the mid-’90s, both political parties had come to endorse arrest and incarceration as a primary tool of crime-fighting. This conclusion was reached not warily, but lustily. As a presidential candidate, Bill Clinton flew home to Arkansas to preside over the execution of Ricky Ray Rector, a mentally disabled, partially lobotomized black man who had murdered two people in 1981. “No one can say I’m soft on crime,” Clinton would say later.

Dark predictions of rising crime did not bear out. Like the bestial blacks of the 19th century, super-predators proved to be the stuff of myth. This realization cannot be regarded strictly as a matter of hindsight. As the historian Naomi Murakawa has shown in her book, The First Civil Right: How Liberals Built Prison America, many Democrats knew exactly what they were doing—playing on fear for political gain—and did it anyway. Voting on the Anti–Drug Abuse Act of 1986, Nick Rahall II, a congressman from West Virginia, admitted that he had reservations about mandatory minimums but asked, “How can you get caught voting against them?”

In 1994, President Clinton signed a new crime bill, which offered grants to states that built prisons and cut back on parole. Clinton recently said that he regrets his pivotal role in driving up the country’s incarceration numbers. “I signed a bill that made the problem worse,” he told the NAACP in July. “And I want to admit it.” In justifying his actions of 20 years earlier, he pointed to the problems of “gang warfare” and of “innocent bystanders” shot down in the streets. Those were, and are, real problems. But even in trying to explain his policies, Clinton neglected to retract the assumption underlying them—that incarcerating large swaths of one population was a purely well-intended, logical, and nonracist response to crime. Even at the time of its passage, Democrats—much like the Republican Nixon a quarter century earlier—knew that the 1994 crime bill was actually about something more than that. Writing about the bill in 1993, Clinton’s aides Bruce Reed and Jose Cerda III urged the president to seize the issue “at a time when public concern about crime is the highest it has been since Richard Nixon stole the issue from the Democrats in 1968.”
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...mily-in-the-age-of-mass-incarceration/403246/
Long article but a good read.

What has Sanders done to justify it? You'd make a better point if you said they should abstain from voting for either of them. At least that would make sense.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Got to love the disproving hissing, tuts and sighs from the audience.

This is her audience that night btw. They want to hear the issues that matter

ZF26OHV.jpg

Correction: Hillary was speaking on youth gang violence. The speech wasn't meant to be an indictment on young black kids.

HOWEVER, it was a very poor choice of words. Superpredators has always been toxic language. Even as a Hillary supporter I can't defend that, other than looking at her voting record in the Senate to see that it was exactly that: a poor choice of words.

That's like saying "urban" doesn't really mean black. I mean, c'mon. Why are we defending this? She was referring to youth gang violence knowing damn well how it would be interpreted in white ears during the '96 election year.

What has Sanders done to justify it? You'd make a better point if you said they should abstain from voting for either of them. At least that would make sense.

At the very least, when Sanders was interrupted in similar fashion he didn't try to silence/remove the two young women and instead let them say what they had to say.

Activist singular. Mass incarceration should be viewed as a national shame. I've only ever heard Hillary say "it had consequences we did not intend" which is bs. Anyone could have told her and Bill Clinton and every other politician who helped perpetuate mass incarceration what the effects would be on the black community, black families, and black men.

Here's a little background on what the protester was talking about:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...mily-in-the-age-of-mass-incarceration/403246/
Long article but a good read.

Thanks for this link.

royalan

That's like saying "urban" doesn't really mean black. I mean, c'mon. Why are we defending this? She was referring to youth gang violence knowing damn well how it would be interpreted in white ears during the '96 election year.

Technically, "urban" doesn't just mean black these days.

Also, I'm NOT defending it. I just said in that post it was a very poor choice of words. I don't defend her using it, but I also don't think that she was intentionally feeding the racists, based on how my own family was receptive to the "tough on crime" rhetoric going around back then.

Abounder

Banned
The only way Hillary could have looked good here is if she told the small hissing crowd to shut up, and engage the question like it was a town hall. Not good for her campaign

Hillary comes off as a dick! Not just refusing to apologise for calling black kids superpredators who have no conscience or empathy that need to be brought to heel, but also in failing to talk on equal terms with this black woman.

She's like that Republican robot guy who needs to stick to their agenda and can't improvise. If I was in USA, I know my vote wouldn't lie with her.

Pineapple

The only way Hillary could have looked good here is if she told the small hissing crowd to shut up, and engage the question like it was a town hall.

And if she would have requested to the Secret Service to not have the girl thrown out.

Hillary's attitude just doesn't come across very well here. It's not empathetic and caring - it's strident and combative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom