• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLM Activists Interrupt Hillary at Private Event in South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
well you obviously dont get politics then...its Bernie that rely on the constitution to overturn the congress as unconstitutional...someone has to have the balls to risk assassination and call a referendum vote to change the congressional system...he will do it..hes old and he dont care! The people will vote and it will get done...just slurping up the mindless fear mongering of the right will get you nowhere, you have to fight for it just as TOmmy Douglas did for medicare..he took death threats and his house was bricked with his kids inside but he didnt stop until the masses were on his side.....He's a national hero because he did that ....not because medicare was a no brainer in 1958! No one had even heard of social democracy at that time in North America! He saw the future and he made it happen......thats what Bernie appears willing to do...you will wait a long time for someone like that in anY country.

Have the abortion laws ever changed in Canada? LGBT rights have increased despite right wing retards in power..they use these ridiculous campaign propaganda pieces to motivate the quack religious people to vote...they are 30% of the population and are usually easy to motivate...thats the ONLY reason these topics get discussed...period...when they get in power they allow LGBT rights and gay marriage etc,. because it matters not to their fiscal hegemony. Harper only said he was going to get "tough on crime" to win naive voters to his side...he promptly cut ALL public services so bad I almost lost my job,and many others did...many of the less intellectual of the law enforcement actually voted for him in good faith the got stabbed in the back....then there was landslide vote for a centrist like Trudeau against cutting services and the cycle continues. LGBT rights will perpetuate regardless of idiots like Trump , but maybe not Cruz or Rubio...I REPEAT, I admit I would rather vote for HIllary than those types!!!!! Trump said he wants health care for all poeple..if he actually does the math he may be crazy enough to slash into the insurance companies and big pharma. HIs bark is worse than his bite..building a wall is an absolute impossibility, he will be forced to realize the establishment needs more cheap labour to compete with China, Mexicans will still be "allowed" to enter illegally. THis won't change no matter who gets in to power! You should have followed Harper's reign more closely, he didnt keep ANY promises and ALL of his crime bill "revisions" were facades. THat's right, he actually didnt even change anything substantial at all just a bunch of useless stuff that COrrections was already doing just with different names on it ...lipstick on a pig. For example he cancelled APR, accelerated parole review, which actually allowed corrections and parole board to let obvious rehabs out earlier...and in so doing we were SAVING THE COUNTRY AND THE TAXPAYER MONEY. GUess what ? corrections still let out those that didnt need any more jail, just under different clauses, logic was allowed to prevail most of the time, its just that Harper raised tax for the poor, cancelled tax for the rich,slashed public service jobs, many of whom were scientists, including police and corrections, (and thereby increasing the freedom for criminals to do what they do) and took the savings and gave it to big oil to fund the fracking industry...I have a buddy that had a 70 average in university and became an accountant who together with his wife accountant make $650K as CFO 's for big oil....... the workers for fracking are mostly former inmates and get paid peanuts........look where that system got us....nowhere , the same as Hillary would...nothing will change unless someone wants to rock the boat. Bernie and Trump are the only chances for such. Those that are slaves of the system are speaking out...you middle class sweat shop tech workers may wish to as well. Absolutely no reason why you have to work 60 hour weeks...that;s insane..
You appear to be rambling which doesn't help any hope of persuadion you might be attempting.

Why do you think those politicians did those things but Trump wouldn't? Specifically the things you mentioned Harper doing.

She was talking specifically about gang members in the 90s when gang violence was high. You can make an argument that she shouldn't have used that rhetoric, but you shouldn't misrepresent what she said.
There can be no mistaking the classic American racial associations with crime, especially urban crime. Hillary knew exactly what she was saying. The quote was a dog whistle.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Earlier she says "there's a lot of issues...blah blah blah" then after she's done being interrupted she says "back to the issues", trying to go back to what she was talking about.

I don't think this is a big deal.

finowns

Earlier she says "there's a lot of issues...blah blah blah" then after she's done being interrupted she says "back to the issues", trying to go back to what she was talking about.

I don't think this is a big deal.

It's not. God forbid if this was Sanders.

God forbid if this was Sanders.
This is truth as well. Fuck politics.

I'm not sure we will ever get to see someone else being asked about their role in mass incarceration, usage of "superpredator" to describe a group of people, and the ruining of a myriad of people's lives, so I guess we'll never find out.
And things like this are the reason I support Bernie Sanders 100%. I don't think Hillary Clinton is real at all. I'm just saying we shouldn't be petty and try to make one misstep (by which I mean this video itself, not the issue of mass incarceration) ruin a candidate. It's bullshit whether you support Clinton or Sanders.

Diablos

Man Hillary looks bad in this video. She comes off as being so..mean
I would too because the protester was obnoxious. She demanded an answer while simultaneously taking over her which basically screams "I have an agenda and don't really care what you have to say; I just want to make you look bad." Ridiculous.

I'm really sick and tired of people turning off their brains and instantly taking sides over a viral video that is cut short and is rife for being taken out of context.

If only she could be Bernie Sanders who campaigns with a hollow message and lets protesters walk all over him!

I would too because the protester was obnoxious. She demanded an answer while simultaneously taking over her which basically screams "I have an agenda and don't really care what you have to say; I just want to make you look bad." Ridiculous.

I'm really sick and tired of people turning off their brains and instantly taking sides over a viral video that is cut short and is rife for being taken out of context.

If only she could be Bernie Sanders who campaigns with a hollow message and lets protesters walk all over him!
The protester wasn't obnoxious at all. She started off with a silent protest and refused to accept an evasive answer. That crowd sure was obnoxious though.
They'd much prefer to talk about "real issues" not black people's concerns.

Chariot

HSSSSSSSS

Pineapple

I support Sanders 100%. I don't think Clinton handled it perfectly but who the fuck would in a real situation like that? She did just fine.

Fine?

She kicked a minority activist out of one of her rallies that was bringing up an important topic on race. And she didn't even address Williams' concern.

How she should have handled it -

"You know what? I'm sorry. You're right. I regret ever saying that - and I can promise you I'm going to do everything I can to fix this."

Extends arm out. "Come here".

Wraps arm around the shoulders of Williams. "We're going to fix this."

Crowd claps, and it's all on video. That would have shown empathy and actual concern.

Instead, she talked condescendingly towards Ashley ("You wanna hear the facts, or do you just wanna talk?"), ignored her concern, and did nothing as the Secret Service kicked her out.

The protester wasn't obnoxious at all. She started off with a silent protest and refused to accept an evasive answer. That crowd sure was obnoxious though.

You mean how she was trying to talk about criminal justice reform?

Fine?

She kicked a minority activist our of one of her rallies that was bringing up an important topic on race. And she didn't even address Williams' concern.

"You know what? I'm sorry. You're right. I regret ever saying that - and I can promise you I'm going to do everything I can to fix this."

Crowd claps, and it's all on video. That would have shown empathy and actual concern.

Instead, she talked condescendingly towards Ashley ("You wanna hear the facts, or do you just wanna talk?"), ignored her concern, and did nothing as the Secret Service kicked her out.

That is pure fantasy. This was going one of two ways, with her getting kicked-out, of Clinton letting her basically take over the event like what happened to Bernie.

Fine?

She kicked a minority activist our of one of her rallies that was bringing up an important topic on race. And she didn't even address Williams' concern.

ahahahahahaaaa

Diablos

Except she was talking about the concerns of black people in a broader sense, not just the specific concern of a protestor who tried to crash a private event and interrupt Hillary mid sentence. That never works. You can't just hijack a speech and then immediately expect an apology for comments made in 1996.

She was talking about criminal justice reform. What else do you want? An apology tour for every BLM protester who wasn't allowed to ruin a speech?

Seriously, get a grip.

Diablos

Hillary's a fraud and will say anything to get her way, but you can wait till she's elected to find that out.
Thanks, spindoc. I'm glad you know Hillary so well.

All of you better be careful what you wish for. Your alternative is either going to be Donald Trump or Marco Rubio who will do absolutely nothing for anyone who isn't rich and white. Bernie can't win the general election. Trump in particular who launched his campaign tapping into the heart of racism and xenophobia like a fascist would be horrible for this country. Marco Rubio is trying to be the GOP Obama but he's really an ultra conservative nutcase with a youthful face.

Hillary may have changed her tune over the past couple decades and I understand how that can be a turn off but the difference is she's able to do so unlike some politicians who will not change or adapt their policy positions for any reason whatsoever (i.e. GOP). She may have made a questionable remark back in 1996. That doesn't mean you take one quote from 20 years ago and troll a private speech in 2016 and demanding Hillary to just drop everything and shift the narrative of the speech to please one protester. That is the height of absurdity and if you think you're going to change anything with that behavior I feel bad for you.

Pineapple

All of you better be careful what you wish for. Your alternative is either going to be Donald Trump or Marco Rubio who will do absolutely nothing for anyone who isn't rich and white.

We just saw Hillary Clinton speaking to a private group of mostly rich white people (in South Carolina...) while removing a BLM activist from her rally.

I'm still going all in on Bernie, because if this video is any indication, Hillary isn't going to do what is necessary to help people of color in this country. The empathy and care just isn't there.

And against Trump, Bernie can win.

Diablos

We just saw Hillary Clinton speaking to a private group of mostly rich white people (in South Carolina...) while removing a BLM activist from her rally.
THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!

Are you kidding me?

Wait, wait --

Fine?

She kicked a minority activist out of one of her rallies that was bringing up an important topic on race. And she didn't even address Williams' concern.

What is this, political fanfiction?

You're ridiculous.

And against Trump, Bernie can win.
No he can't.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

All of you better be careful what you wish for. Your alternative is either going to be Donald Trump or Marco Rubio who will do absolutely nothing for anyone who isn't rich and white. Bernie can't win the general election. Trump in particular who launched his campaign tapping into the heart of racism and xenophobia like a fascist would be horrible for this country.

Hillary may have changed her tune over the past couple decades and I understand how that can be a turn off but the difference is she's able to do so unlike some politicians who will not change or adapt their policy positions for any reason whatsoever (i.e. GOP). She may have made a questionable remark back in 1996. That doesn't mean you take one quote and troll a private speech demanding Hillary to just drop everything and shift the narrative of the speech to please one protester.

I've seen her flip flop and play "diplomat" on so many issues,and then something like this comes along and her true nature shows. There are so many positions she's taken that just scream of insincerity. I wouldn't wish Trump on anyone either, but really...it's like looking at the top of a shit mountain here.

Pineapple

Are you kidding me?

Wait, wait --

You're ridiculous.

It's ridiculous for a candidate to empathize with minority concerns in a raw, unscripted, spontaneous setting?

Were Williams' concerns ridiculous? Should she have seriously been kicked out?

Diablos

It's ridiculous for a candidate to empathize with minority concerns in a raw, unscripted, spontaneous setting?

Yes. Also what you proposed would look so, wouldn't you know, scripted.

And yes.

Are you kidding me?

Wait, wait --

You're ridiculous.

No he can't.

I'm no American so can you please explain to me how a man who have spend the primaries alienating a huge section of your population will be able to be a guy who seem to have reasonable support on a wider base?

Snaku

Banned
Fine?

Hillary chuckled, "You mean black lives... matter?

Malvolio

"Back to the issues" is pretty much indefensible. Words matter and that is a revealing comment. Frankly that needs an apology as much as "super-predator" does.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

it makes much more sense when you understand the selective narrative bubble she's (Hillary) built for herself. So from her perspective, yes and yes.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Are there any articles with stats on why hillary has more of the black vote than bernie?

I always figured it was because she is a clinton.

Formless

Man I think BLM is a good thing but interrupting people constantly after they're trying to give a response isn't going to get anything done.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hillary is a worse sell.

Bernie is the best chance Democrats have of winning the general against Trump. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Trump is going to crush Hillary.
Please keep saying it so it is easier to find your posts in November.

Glad a BLM activist got to confront Hillary. Super disappointed in her response. I'm not sure exactly what she could have said in the moment to address a quote from 1996. I know that I would need time to remember the context of something I said nearly 20 years ago in order to formulate a response. I also know a politician (or anyone of power) allowing themselves to be interrupted mid-speech to address someone can be seen as 'weak' to some voters. But that's just making excuses. I wish she would have just stopped security, quickly gotten through her current train of thought, then probably offer to discuss with the activist, asking for clarification on the quote so she could address it.

Lord Fagan

That ain't her style. Remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWoHV0w051s

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Hiss hiss hiss. Wtf. She giving speeches to snakes now?

"Do you want to hear the facts, or do you just want to talk?"

Ouch...

Diablos

I'm no American so can you please explain to me how a man who have spend the primaries alienating a huge section of your population will be able to be a guy who seem to have reasonable support on a wider base?
Because he is promising the world to his supporters but has no real way to make it happen. He's campaigning on fundamentally reforming the prison system (impossible), universal health care in the form of single-payer (impossible), free college (impossible). His foreign policy is basically nonexistent which is a huge negative in a general election. His entire message basically boils down to breaking up the banks and enacting a huge social platform with no valid way to go about executing this. When Obama ran in 2008 he ran on things he could do with a Democratic supermajority. Bernie, if he actually got elected (lol), would have divided Congress and have to basically defend Obama's legacy, have a sensible foreign policy, sensible executive action, defend the Supreme Court from going far-right, and work on bipartisan legislation when possible. He would be far, far removed from what he's campaigning on and his supporters would be extremely disappointed.

He will not do good with moderate voters and that's what you need. He has done so well previously because he's turning out young liberals and, apparently, a lot of random angry people who don't know how American politics work. Also, he appears to be better in the GE than Hillary because Hillary is the presumed frontrunner and has done this before. Sanders hasn't. Believe me, if he was winning every primary/caucus and then won the nomination his negatives would go up because everyone would be attacking him.

His Presidential campaign is run by people who worked for Michael Dukakis and Al Gore, both of whom did not win the Presidency due to mostly poorly run campaigns. Gore won the popular vote but if his campaign didn't suck he would have won the electoral vote too. Bernie is basically surrounding himself with losers who live in a bubble and can't see what is in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom