• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT3| I Cane, I Saw, I Conqu- YOU DIED

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I like about BB compared to the others souls is that the items like Molotovsor others are still viable 10 hours into the game. In DS, my items were useless really quickly. Are items better balanced this time around or am I just not far enough in the game yet??

Virdix

To be fair, his laser attack in the second phase does have 1 hit kill potential. But yeah, other than that there isn't much to the fight to keep you from an easy finish.
You just avoid that my staying in melee range, he will only use tentacle or his fists.

Spoo

Ok, this
cathedral hunter
is absolute fucking bullshit, beyond belief. Most frustrated I've been at the game. I can't even do the cheese strats and it seems impossible to beat him normally because he heals

There's an item you can use that can keep him from healing. I found him difficult to and instead of cheesing him I just didn't kill him until much later. Not everything in this game is necessary to kill.

Eiderann

Neo Member
I seem to be having trouble getting
Eileen the Crow
to move from her location in the sewers. I just can't seem to advance her, but I've killed the
Cleric Beast
Father Gascigone
, and the
Blood-starved Beast
, but I did not visit her in the sewers until after I had killed
Father
and don't want to move onto the next boss for fear of missing something with her. Anyone else encounter this?

SkylineRKR

I, I actually lost once to
Witch of Hemwick. Didn't expect the projectile, and at my level the grab was insta kill.

I think this fight is under rated. It was a nice change of pace after such agile beasts. I was first visceral killing the shadow guy, was like, this can't be? And then I noticed the catch. But then, there was another! And yet another!

ZangBa

I guess I'm going to create a lot of random depth 5 chalices for blood rocks since I've basically finished everything. Maybe I'll find some good weapons to share later.

HORRORSHØW

Going to ask a question I asked in OT2, and didn't get an answer.

Here's my NG+ stats, and I'm not sure what to level anymore. Using Burial Blade+10 & Blades of Mercy+9, Hunter Pistol+9, going SKL/ARC.

Should I raise my Arcane up more, for scaling, or skill? Worth putting in 6 more points of Bloodtinge for Evelyn?
KGm97AG.jpg

your dmg stats can go up to 50 then the diminishing returns are real. upgrading bloodtinge for evelyn probably isn't worth it unless you go up to 50. i would max skill to 50 then pump everything into vit.

I seem to be having trouble getting
Eileen the Crow
to move from her location in the sewers. I just can't seem to advance her, but I've killed the
Cleric Beast
Father Gascigone
, and the
Blood-starved Beast
, but I did not visit her in the sewers until after I had killed
Father
and don't want to move onto the next boss for fear of missing something with her. Anyone else encounter this?
you need to kill another boss before she appears fighting a hunter at the tomb of oedon

todahawk

killed by my own son - was remote playing on PSTV and my son didn't realise, and pressed the PS button on his controller right in the middle of a fight with Vicar Amelia. So naturally I died.

also, while I might not be good at this game, it can be infuriating to read tips that say 'just stay behind so and so' - but they spin around so fast it is bloody difficult. Plus their 'frontal' attacks seem to be more like '270 degree' frontal

I know i've said that a few times so I'll elaborate because you're right, it can be difficult to get behind them.

I died repeatedly to BSB and got very frustrated so iinstead of holding back and waiting I moved towards him immediately, then sprinted and hit circle to close the gap (while locked on) when it looked like he was going to attack. Since you're locked on I found it easier to keep strafing right or left depending on what he was doing and keeping on his ass.

I did pretty much the same thing with VA and some of the later bosses too like DP. I've done some bosses where I don't lock on because of camera wonk but I generally try with lock on first. I was getting completely demolished by the first boss (CB) as I was not much of a melee fighter in previous DeS and DaS games. This game really forces you to watch your target and respond appropriately. It still gets frustrating but I'm having a shitload of fun studying the enemies now, learning patterns and jumping on openings in defenses. Very rewarding gameplay.

One thing I like about BB compared to the others souls is that the items like Molotovsor others are still viable 10 hours into the game. In DS, my items were useless really quickly. Are items better balanced this time around or am I just not far enough in the game yet??
They are def more useful. I hardly ever used them in previous games outside trolling in pvp

Sullichin

End-game spoilers/question -

I at the three umbilical cords. Started the Gherman fight but I wiped a few times and now I need blood vials. Shut off my game because I had to go.

Does it matter if I do anything else in the game now - ie can I go farm vials, maybe level up a couple of times, do a chalice dungeon - and then go back and finish Gherman fight? Basically, will it still count that I ate the three umbilical cords?

Hey, you actually answered two questions. Alfred's the blonde haired dude no? Is he when I go up the elevator and roll out while its going up? And is the Death Dealer in that village place after BSB? I died to one I think and was sent to Yhargul. Is that one of them?

Alfred is the blonde guy, but you don't roll out of any elevators to reach him. He's in the tomb area, and then appears again down a set of stairs near the giant courtyard with the big fucking axe dudes. Also, yes, the Death Dealers are the guys with the big bloody burlap sacks that drag you away to Yhargul. Easily parried if you can be patient with their punches. The second their first starts coming toward you (after they cock it back), light em up!

End-game spoilers/question -

I at the three umbilical cords. Started the Gherman fight but I wiped a few times and now I need blood vials. Shut off my game because I had to go.

Does it matter if I do anything else in the game now - ie can I go farm vials, maybe level up a couple of times, do a chalice dungeon - and then go back and finish Gherman fight? Basically, will it still count that I ate the three umbilical cords?

You're fine, go do whatever you want.

UCBooties

So I'm taking this game slow. I am too used to trying to play methodically and I'm having a hard time knowing when to press my luck in this game. I have gotten mauled by the two Nether Beasts on the bridge in Old Yharnam 5 or 6 times. I just can't seem to separate them. Even if I'm fighting one back by the carriages the other comes over to join the party...

Fortunately there is a shortcut that gets you past them to the Cleric Beast fight. I only tried it once and got it down to about 35% health before running out of bloodpacks and dying. I can't seem to get it's stun timing down, is trying to stun bosses a lost cause? I'm guessing it's dodge or die but I've never gotten the hang of that playstyle.

I'll keep with it, I've really enjoyed exploring Old Yharnam and I want to check out some more of the sewer areas. I'll probably just explore for a while and try to get a good stock of blood echoes. I know grinding doesn't really get you much in a Souls game but I feel like a few more points of damage or another dodge worth of stamina can't hurt.

Spoo

NG+ kills:
shadows of yharnam and rom are jokes after you know how to beat them.

I still find
Rom
annoying as hell. On him in a chalice dungeon now, and I just have the worst luck dodging his AOE/shards, especially in a much smaller area.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Grimløck;158123230 said:
oedipus would be proud
--
VA is weak against fire so try fire paper or the oil+molotov combo. also try numbing mists to stop her healing. you can pick some up around the cathedral.

can you buy fire paper or numbing mists? I think I found some numbing mists as a pickup in the cathedral somewhere, but enemies don't seem to drop it at all and I used it all up on my first fight with VA

Virdix

Got another class soon, cant wait to get back and do more chalice dungeons, maybe after i finish the Ihyll Pthumerian ill do Great isz? Or maybe ill do Hintertomb first to be safe.

Soulflarz, keep me updated on your progress man.

Kinsei

Banned
nope, just 3. confirmed by the german_spy guy who worked on the guide.

That sucks. The covenants in Dark Souls were great, but it feels like they just threw a couple into this game just because they were in the last games. As someone that doesn't PvP all three are useless to me.

do you know what happens if you the other way towards the
two hunters? i reach a door and i just get one shot by a huge invisible enemy

Once you get an item called the tonsil stone
that enemy will take you to an optional area
. The door opens once you continue with the story.

AngryMoth

There's an item you can use that can keep him from healing. I found him difficult to and instead of cheesing him I just didn't kill him until much later. Not everything in this game is necessary to kill.
I want the thing you get from
eleen
after beating him.

The item you're talking about doesn't last long enough for me and I only have 1 left. Pretty sure you can't buy them?

I'll try coming back when I have a +10 weapon.

Yshi

Neo Member
I know i've said that a few times so I'll elaborate because you're right, it can be difficult to get behind them.

I died repeatedly to BSB and got very frustrated so iinstead of holding back and waiting I moved towards him immediately, then sprinted and hit circle to close the gap (while locked on) when it looked like he was going to attack. Since you're locked on I found it easier to keep strafing right or left depending on what he was doing and keeping on his ass.

I did pretty much the same thing with VA and some of the later bosses too like DP. I've done some bosses where I don't lock on because of camera wonk but I generally try with lock on first. I was getting completely demolished by the first boss (CB) as I was not much of a melee fighter in previous DeS and DaS games. This game really forces you to watch your target and respond appropriately. It still gets frustrating but I'm having a shitload of fun studying the enemies now, learning patterns and jumping on openings in defenses. Very rewarding gameplay.

True, and what I learned so far is that we cant be to much careful, most of the time the best strategy is just run straight to the boss lock on, dodge and attack.

Most of the time at bsb i was trying to hide behind the pillars and attack it after he charges, but in the end the best thing I did was be extremely aggressive and it worked.

Messiek

Cane user here on NG+ at lvl 101. In first play I got Skill to 30 and just stopped with it, focusing on Vit and End. (more so End).

In NG+, I started sinking more into Skill because you just need that extra dmg. So took it to 40 and 1 in Vit for every 2 in endurance has served me well.

Thx, I'll do that. : )
So how is the cane holding up?

Paskil

I managed to solo take down
Darkbeast Paarl
on my first attempt, yesterday (first boss solo takedown). I had no foreknowledge about the boss. Man, talk about feeling great about gaming accomplishments. I think I felt almost as much pride in that single victory as I felt when I got my Demon's Souls platinum. This game has sucked me in more than any game, probably since Demon's Souls.

Sogood.gif.

biteren

So many items in the woods I want to get..
Fucking snake head guys..

i think the lundwig R2 attack work well against them, especally fully charged, the power to 1 shot them and the range to stay safe, works well against the other snake enemies aswell

Ok, this
cathedral hunter
is absolute fucking bullshit, beyond belief. Most frustrated I've been at the game. I can't even do the cheese strats and it seems impossible to beat him normally because he heals

Yep, he is impossible to kill. Fuckin' bullshit. I'm not even able to react/ heal etc.

Lore question, do we know what a
Darkbeast
is? All of the items just reference them without explaining anything. I found the
badge
and I can't tell if
Arch or one of his friends died to Paarl or became him.

LiK

I managed to solo take down
Darkbeast Paarl
on my first attempt, yesterday (first boss solo takedown). I had no foreknowledge about the boss. Man, talk about feeling great about gaming accomplishments. I think I felt almost as much pride in that single victory as I felt when I got my Demon's Souls platinum. This game has sucked me in more than any game, probably since Demon's Souls.

Sogood.gif.

Yea, it's pretty great. Don't forget to save the clip.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Fuck
Rom
. I hate the feeling these games give you when you feel like you'll never beat a certain boss.
Here's what I did.
At first I was impatient and tried to lure the spiders away and then got a hit or two on Rom and then ran away. Didn't work because usually a spider would jump on me and nearly kill me. The key to this boss battle is patience. Kill the small spiders, one by one. Remember to hit them from the back or side and they should go down in a few hits. Try to flank them, preferably when one stays from the group. After you kill one, roll or run away and re-assess the situation. After they're all dead, hit Rom from the sides until he disappears.

Later on, he'll start shooting blue meteors at you while you're trying to kill the small spiders. Roll, roll, roll. Time your attacks between these barrages. Eventually Rom will do an Area Of Effect attack when you get close to him. He'll kind of curl up in the air before he does this. Move out of range, then go back in for some hits. He'll go down evetually, just don't rush the battle or you'll keep dying and dying.

Ljx718

Neo Member
That sucks. The covenants in Dark Souls were great, but it feels like they just threw a couple into this game just because they were in the last games. As someone that doesn't PvP all three are useless to me.

Once you get an item called the tonsil stone
that enemy will take you to an optional area
. The door opens once you continue with the story.

yea i got it. do i skip anything if i do that now? i just finished beat
Shadows of Y

Ferrio

Banned
Ok, this
cathedral hunter

Ya stuck on him as well. Fucker even using my weapon.

That sucks. The covenants in Dark Souls were great, but it feels like they just threw a couple into this game just because they were in the last games. As someone that doesn't PvP all three are useless to me..

Ya they were an afterthought for sure. Very very sad that they dropped the ball on a lot of things they shouldn't have.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I really wanted this game to have a boss run...

todahawk

True, and what I learned so far is that we cant be to much careful, most of the time the best strategy is just run straight to the boss lock on, dodge and attack.

Most of the time at bsb i was trying to hide behind the pillars and attack it after he charges, but in the end the best thing I did was be extremely aggressive and it worked.

Yep, I said in the OT 1 & 2 that the counter attack period where you regain health shows they want the focus on attacking and not as much on defense and turtling. They also said BB was going to be focused more on killing than dying. I understand that better now. Love the change up, very fresh gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom