• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Destiny 2 The Final Shape Delayed to June 2024 - Marathon Delayed to 2025

Draugoth

Gold Member
960x640.jpg

Bungie, the Sony-owned game studio behind Destiny 2, let go an undisclosed number of staffers, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

In an email to employees seen by Bloomberg, Bungie Chief Executive Officer Pete Parsons said staffers would be “hearing some news today” and that there would be a team meeting later in the day to “discuss today’s events.” The company didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Bungie recently delayed an upcoming Destiny 2 expansion, The Final Shape, until June from February, pushing it out of Sony Group Corp.’s current fiscal year, said the people, who asked not to be identified because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. Bungie’s next game, Marathon, slipped to 2025.

Lupin25

Marathon never had a release date so never expected anything less than 2025.

Not really let down here as Destiny 2’s best days are behind it for me.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Destiny 2 has been making a bad first impression for 6 years now
It depends on who you ask. It's a lot of loud players who have issues, but not enough to effect the rating on steam.

qapqiYm.png

Considering the lackluster reception of Light Fall they better make sure they nail it with Final Shape. Regardless, fairly low chance of me returning to Destiny 2.

Yeaahhhh, light fall was kinda cringe.

Finger crossed they do better in final shape. I enjoyed my time with Destiny's (on the whole), it would be nice if they went out with a bang.

Last edited:
It depends on who you ask. It's a lot of loud players who have issues, but not enough to effect the rating on steam.

qapqiYm.png

Yeaahhhh, light fall was kinda cringe.

Finger crossed they do better in final shape. I enjoyed my time with Destiny's (on the whole), it would be nice if they went out with a bang.
Yeah, same here, as It was the game for me and my friends in 2020 and 2021. Since then I moved on (unrelated to the game itself), but I still like to keep tabs on it and will probably return if they ever make a Destiny 3.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I actually do hope The Final Shape can wrap a satisfying bow on things. Destiny has had a long history of yet another more powerful baddie being hidden behind things, and the ones we meet can't help but disappoint compared to the lore. Now our enemy wasn't the Darkness but some dude with cat eyes wielding the Darkness and....Well I just hope they can satisfyingly end the 10 year build up to the Light and Dark saga.

Marathon delayed?

Anne Hathaway Nbd GIF
A lot of us in the DMZ community were hoping this would be the game to pivot to since Activision is putting DMZ on ice for the moment. I guess we need to keep looking for another extraction shooter that gets a decent amount of content and has the resources to keep it fresh. The next Far Cry is rumored to have an extraction shooter but who the hell knows when that is coming out.

Shubh_C63

Destiny 2 TFS would be the start of "destiny 3.0" in essence, first impression needs to be on-point especially after LIGHTFALL.

Ronin_7

Banned
Marathon was a amazing Single Player game back in the 90s.

Today's Bungie: Let's make it a Gaas looter Shooter.

Could be cancelled for all i care.

Z O N E

Err, wasn't Marathon always 2025?

I think by the "delay" they meant it was internally supposed to be a 2024 release, but now because of all the layoff news happening, news is out that it's delayed internally to 2025.

Makes sense if The Final Shape is now a 2024 release now.

Just because there is no announced release date, does not mean there isn't an internal target date.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think by the "delay" they meant it was internally supposed to be a 2024 release, but now because of all the layoff news happening, news is out that it's delayed internally to 2025.

Makes sense if The Final Shape is now a 2024 release now.

Just because there is no announced release date, does not mean there isn't an internal target date.

Oh, so no issue then.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Can they please make a full on singleplayer campaign for Marathon? They can keep the extraction shooter shit as a multiplayer component to go whale hunting, if they want to.
Companies are drastically cutting budgets for games, not increasing them. Single player has no chance for this title.

FUBARx89

Plot twist.

Neil Druckmann was bought in to see if the story is shit and gave it a thumbs down, payback for factions

/s

Kerotan

The next destiny expansion will be my last anyway as it's wrapping up the current story and I'll be taking a long break while they inevitably launched a new story over 4 or 5 year's. I'll probably jump back in, in a few years and buy in with a deep sale for whatever I missed.

So don't really mind the extra 4 months break but kinda would have liked to wrap it up sooner before moving on.

Neolombax

Thats fine, delay it if it means cleaning up the game considerably for the ending of the saga. I wonder if it has anything to do with the rumor of Sony scaling back on its previous GaaS strategy. The Final Shape will be the last Destiny for me, I'm sure of it now. I love the game but its time to say goodbye.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Another delay at PlayStation Studios? After already releasing only a single AAA game this year, the indefinite delay of TLoU online and now this... What is going on at PlayStation Studios?? 🤔🤔🤔
Quality control. If the delay will make Final Shape less of a disaster as Lightfall, I'm all in. Marathon was always 2025 tho, so it's kinda of a silly scoop.

It is also known that the layoffs were in legal/production/support etc, so mostly the positions already covered by bigger Sony. The only big news is Slavatore that is now a contactor and not on a payroll. Which is now a predominant practice with musicians.

Top Bottom