• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Heads for Best Holiday in Years as Profit Seen Tripling

As far as that insane amiibo money goes, I'm inclined to say that there's some miscommunication going on. amiibo should still make Nintendo a lot of money, though.

1000000000 Japanese Yen equals
8208500.0000 US Dollar

820,850 amiibos

Seems much much much more reasonable of a forecast than 100M amiibos in one territory in just a few months of launch...
Yeah, it's most definitely Yen (should be changed in the OP).

They project 200.000 amiibos for France.

jholmes

I love Bloomberg copy.

With the success of recently released games featuring the plumber Mario and his brother Luigi, analysts expect there to be a flow-on effect to consoles.

But then there's this:

There are a total of 7.6 million of the machines in the hands of gamers worldwide, according to ********.com, which tracks industry sales. That compares with the 15.1 million for PS4 and 8.1 million for Xbox One, despite a one-year lead.

Ehh, maybe we shouldn't put too much stock in this story aside from the analyst roundup figures. Is Bloomberg trying to get banned on NeoGAF?

AdanVC

Crazy good news! So freaking glad Nintendo is having a good holiday season for once. You go, Nintendo! Now, Amiibo... holy shiiiiiit they sure are popular!

explodet

$1 billion from Amiibo sales in the U.S. alone
tumblr_n7rohbXlkJ1s9yy41o2_500.gif

Richie

8208500.0000 US Dollar

820,850 amiibos

Seems much much much more reasonable of a forecast than 100M amiibos in one territory in just a few months of launch...

Thanks a bunch! Yeah now -this- I'll easily believe.

I just don't see how the math can work out for the Amiibo sales in the U.S. alone, and that's coming from someone who's bought all of wave one and has most of the others preordered. They'd have to sell tens of millions of 'em, so unless they're talking extremely long-term, I don't get it.

Edit: too slow, should have read the comments

8208500.0000 US Dollar

820,850 amiibos

This is what it probably is as dollars aren't mentioned and all other currency in the article is Yen.

They'll sell over a million in the US and the profit will equal 1 billion yen.

$1 billion from Amiibo sales in the U.S. alone

So $1,000,000,000 / $13 = ~77,000,000 units

77,000,000 / 3,300,000 (# Wii U's sold in the US source: wiki) = ~23 amiibos per Wii U owner. That seems a smidge unrealistic.

Phazon

Article fucked up yeah, it has to be YEN imo

1 billion Japanese yen =
8.23 million U.S. dollars

divide that by whatever nintendo is making on these things.

Good for them, amiibo is a beast. Was watching this Discovery channel four parter about the history of video games the other day, the Nintendo segment was by far the most interesting part, going into the origin stories of Miyamoto, the early IPs, experimentation. I think it's remarkable the history and legacy they've had, and pretty damn impressive how much staying power they've shown through thick and thin. Onwards and upwards Ninty, now please make another powerful console O_O

Fuck! :(
Nintendo were just about the drop the Pokemon MMORPG bomb next year if they didn't turn a profit this holiday season.

1 billion yen by the end of the year sounds more realistic. Everything else in the article is yen, so yeah. Still very good

It's either ¥1B or $100M just read wrong. I'm inclined to believe ¥1B

100.000.000/13 ~ 7.7M Amiibos. Not too unrealistic but still a little outlandish. I'm going with ¥1B for sure

I think the one billion number is a projection of the lifetime sales of the amiibo line. Basically they're extrapolating off current popularity, which seems...unwise.

Usobuko

Banned
Nintendo, if amiibo is making that much money, why not restock more for people? It's not even Xmas yet and some of them are unavailable.

Top Bottom