• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Heads for Best Holiday in Years as Profit Seen Tripling

It's most likely yen. If it's yen they are expecting about 1 million amiibo sold by the end of the year in the US, which sounds more realsitic
I think the one billion number is a projection of the lifetime sales of the amiibo line. Basically they're extrapolating off current popularity, which seems...unwise.
The article says it expects that amount by the end of the year (fiscal?) so it's definitely a typo

So $1,000,000,000 / $13 = ~77,000,000 units

77,000,000 / 3,300,000 (# Wii U's sold in the US source: wiki) = ~23 amiibos per Wii U owner. That seems a smidge unrealistic.

Yen.

¥12182500000 / ¥1580.67 = 77,071,74 units

7,707,174 / 3,300,000 = 2.335 Amiibos per owner. Much more likely eh?

test_account

XP-39C²
So these numbers are just wild guesses from investors? Or are they based on something more substantial? I read the Bloomberg article, but i couldnt see anything of notice there regarding this.

Cheerilee

The Japanese game maker that lost 23.2 billion yen ($193 million) last year is on a surprising comeback with hit game titles like Super Smash Bros. and a new line of interactive figurines called Amiibo. At least eight analysts raised profit estimates or ratings since September, with the two most recent calling for profit to triple to 36.8 billion yen.

Negative 23.2 tripled is negative 69.6. It's not positive 36.8. Can't even do math, who are these last two analysts, Michael and Pachter?

Exile20

Glad to hear them having success! They deserve it.

Unfortunately 3.6 consoles in a year is still abysmal so I'm not sure how much of a success this actually qualifies as, but it sounds like they'll take it.
If there is one we learn is that you can make a profit and still sell the least. Look at the gamecube and Wii u made more than the ps4 last quarter I believe.

There is no bloat on Nintendo like the others.

Neff

I highly suspect that's 1b yen, but it's worth remembering that a large proportion of Amiibo buyers are buying more than one figure, sometimes several, sometimes ten, sometimes the whole lot.

It's obviously going to be a big source of income for Nintendo down the line, especially when more games start to utilise them.

Pretty crazy that they still turn profits with poor hardware sales, Nintendo knows how to run a company.

Yep. They know what they're doing.

Mory Dunz

If there is one we learn is that you can make a profit and still sell the least. Look at the gamecube and Wii u made more than the ps4 last quarter I believe.

The Wii U made more than the PS4....? Or Nintendo made more than Sony's Game Division?

Exile20

I highly suspect that's 1b yen, but it's worth remembering that a large proportion of Amiibo buyers are buying more than one figure, sometimes several, sometimes ten, sometimes the whole lot.

It's obviously going to be a big source of income for Nintendo down the line, especially when more games start to utilise them.
Only was going to buy one then the best buy buy 2 get one free deal happen and now I am 9 more deep. The fuck man.

test_account

XP-39C²
The billion dollar in US alone might be from what Reggies said here:

"Super Smash Bros. is the first Nintendo title that will also support Amiibo, the interactive figurines that the company is also introducing for the holidays. Amiibo will compete with Activision’s Skylanders franchise and Walt Disney Co.’s Infinity in a category Nintendo calls “toys-to-life.”

"Such interactive toys are set to pull in about $1 billion in sales this year in the U.S., according to Fils-Aimes."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-11/nintendo-says-super-smash-bros-orders-set-wii-u-record.html

Does Nintendo ever split up the profit/earnings for each system?

javac

Nintendo are going to produce smaller, cheaper Amibo and NFC cards under the Amiibo umbrella so I think this whole toys to life initiative will be big for Nintendo.

Raxus

Man and that is just the first wave of amiibos. God help us when the pokemon amiibos come.

Unlimited money.

ghibli99

Good news!

I do hope Nintendo does some back-catalog Amiibo updates, like allowing more of those characters in the Mario games, etc. Even if they charge for them and do more extensive content, I'm OK with that. They've been killing it as far as DLC is concerned, and don't mind ponying up another $10-20 if it means getting the type of extra stuff we've seen in MK8, NSMB, and Hyrule Warriors.

Mariolee

Man and that is just the first wave of amiibos. God help us when the pokemon amiibos come.

Unlimited money.

Technically we already had Pokemon Amiibos, right?

image_59823_thumb_wide610.jpg

And I don't remember if these sold nearly as well as Amiibos.

SeanR1221

Amiibos are one of the smartest things nintendos ever done. Period. They're finally leveraging their IPs in a smart way.

And to those wondering why some are already discontinued...it's to make room for more Amiibos obviously

Striek

Ehhhh, while $1B is obviously not true, $10 million (1B yen) would be a pretty sad showing. Split the order of magnitude difference there, $100 million would be a more realistic success.

Article gets major detail wrong, quotes V**G******Z, the new analyst forecasts only bring them into line with what Nintendo has been projecting all year long (still slightly lower actually)....

That Bloomberg quality reporting.

Anth0ny

I don't think anyone knows these exist.

When the real ass pokemon amiibos are released, we'll know it. And they will sell fuck tons.

Usobuko

Banned
^ but its so ugly.

Anyway, last quarter Sony's Game & Network service's operating income is US $200m and it's obvious their end game is similar to Microsoft 360 twilight years, making billion from subscription services.

Still, this isn't a sony vs nintendo thread. I rather Nintendo make more amiibos and gamecube adapter to satisfy the demand.

javac

They were limited to certain stores, sold in small quantities, not even needed for the single game it worked for and only worked with a game that for all intents and purposes wasn't all that amazing so I can see why it never took off. I would believe you if you said it was Nintendo testing the waters for what would become Amiibo however.

The average figure isn't going to be anywhere near like 20 though, which is what would be required.

In a similar vein, I'm sure there are people who own the system who own every game for it. But the US tie ratio from memory is only slightly above 3.

I think test_account is right and wires have been crossed, where Fils-Aimes is just referring to the NFC toy market in general.

So $1,000,000,000 / $13 = ~77,000,000 units

77,000,000 / 3,300,000 (# Wii U's sold in the US source: wiki) = ~23 amiibos per Wii U owner. That seems a smidge unrealistic.

It's like how Sega predicted more people would purchase Shenmue than the amount of people who actually owned the Dreamcast.

These were a limited run at Gamestop for a downloadable spin-off game on Wii U. Not really the same thing. Plus they have a different artstyle than regular Pokemon.

Top Bottom