• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo to announce 18.7 Billion Yen loss for the fiscal year

Daingurse

Completely agree. But it's early. 3DS had more or less the same thing happen after it's launch, and they salvaged that situation.

It's relevant to note that Nintendo seems to be trying to resolve their "bad launches" problem with their unified platform idea (however they're phrasing it). But they have to survive the WiiU and launch the next thing before we see the results of that strategy.

No, the 3DS was never as bad as the Wii-U at any point and time, in-addition it's a handheld. Comparisons are completely pointless IMO.

Or double dip and grab both markets, that's honestly what I believe.

You're still not listening to my argument, at all. It's quite annoying.

I'll give you the TL;DR - People buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games solely. Quite a lot of people. Losing that market would be dire, and asinine of Nintendo.

Daingurse

You're still not listening to my argument, at all. It's quite annoying.

I'll give you the TL;DR - People buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games solely. Quite a lot of people. Losing that market would be dire, and asinine of Nintendo.

I am listening to you, I simply disagree with you and nothing will change that. I think accessing a whole consumer base of people who would never buy your hardware to begin with is far more intelligent on the financial side.

I am listening to you, I simply disagree with you. And nothing will change that. I think accessing a whole consumer base of people who would never buy your hardware to begin with is far more intelligent on the financial side.

And I'm saying the profit they'd make on hardware would drop dramatically.

Elios83

26 pages for this is a bit too much.
Yeah Nintendo is struggling right now, they have fallen from the graces of the DS and Wii success and Wii U has not been the hit with casuals that they hoped for.
But it's not like their financial position is compromised by these relatively small losses. Yeah of course investors won't be pleased with a company with uncertain profitibility but they'll be fine in the long run.
They're already thinking about their future, it seems like they'll focus on a hybrid handheld platform where games can be played also on the TV through a HDMI (wireless if it becomes possible?) connection.

jcm

And who might that be?

Iwata, according to the guy I quoted. I was being sarcastic. I don't believe that there's only one person in the world qualified to run Nintendo (or do any other job, for that matter).

They're already thinking about their future, it seems like they'll focus on a hybrid handheld platform where games can be played also on the TV through a HDMI (wireless if it becomes possible?) connection.

I think this is a terrible idea. I hope that's not really their strategy. If it is, that's a great reason to fire Iwata.

Dysun

I see we've reached that point in the thread where parallels are being drawn for the PS4/Durango upcoming sales. Just because the Wii U is an unappealing product doesn't mean the same holds true for everybody

Will they light the world on fire? Probably not, will it sell 13k units a week in North America less than 6 months after launch? No

Azih

The delays in software correspond to quality software. Bioshock Infinite took 6 years, does that mean Irrational "has no idea how to manage developers"?
The difference is that Irrational is a DEVELOPER while Nintendo is a PUBLISHER and a publisher with formats that they need to support. Iwata himself keeps saying that droughts destroy the momentum Nintendo consoles need, you agree with him right?

He also says he has plans to do better for the next machine, but he's never delivered on that.

26 pages for this is a bit too much.
Yeah Nintendo is struggling right now, they have fallen from the graces of the DS and Wii success and Wii U has not been the hit with casuals that they hoped for.
But it's not like their financial position is compromised by these relatively small losses. Yeah of course investors won't be pleased with a company with uncertain profitibility but they'll be fine in the long run.

People keep suggesting this hybrid idea as 'likely' with little to no evidence whatsoever

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I see we've reached that point in the thread where parallels are being drawn for the PS4/Durango upcoming sales. Just because the Wii U is an unappealing product doesn't mean the same holds true for everybody

And just because the ps4 and durango are more powerful doesn't mean they are immune to doing poorly. :D But yes I agree with you, right now the wii u is unnapealing to the majority of the public

Even if they are unappealing products that will bomb, it does not excuse the wiiu at all. Its reactionary fan garbage to even bring them up at all. Its just as bad as when many were hoping the wii would fail to justify their agenda.

I think this is a terrible idea. I hope that's not really their strategy. If it is, that's a great reason to fire Iwata.

Eh, I don't know. I just think it depends on where we're at in a few years. I think it could be a disastrous idea, or maybe it would succeed at being what the Wii U was trying to do. I've argued it before, but aside from lack of compelling software at launch, I think the biggest issue with the Wii U is that the GamePad failed to be what it really needed to be while simultaneously adding too much to the cost.

I bet that's the Bayonetta2 exclusivity hurting them :p

Well its not going to help them much.

And just because the ps4 and durango are more powerful doesn't mean they are immune to doing poorly. :D But yes I agree with you, right now the wii u is unnapealing to the majority of the public

No one is saying PS4 and 720 will not do poorly solely due to their graphics. The reason people think PS4 and 720 will do better its because they will be backed by the third parties, and offer a generational leap which the consumer can see clearly.

WiiU had none of those things.

Daingurse

Even if they are unappealing products that will bomb, it does not excuse the wiiu at all

Exactly. At the end of the day so what if the PS4 And Duragngo did bomb? What does that change about the Wii-U's situation or issues? Nothing, it will still be suffering. It just screams saltiness.

jcm

Eh, I don't know. I just think it depends on where we're at in a few years. I think it could be a disastrous idea, or maybe it would succeed at being what the Wii U was trying to do. I've argued it before, but aside from lack of compelling software at launch, I think the biggest issue with the Wii U is that the GamePad failed to be what it really needed to be while simultaneously adding too much to the cost.

I don't see how you do that without making either an overpriced handheld or an underpowered console. Or both at the same time, given Nintendo's recent track record.

D-e-f-

Banned
Isn't this expected with a new console released this FY? All the marketing and what not must cost a lot.

It's not just expected, they even announced in their last forecast that they'd be posting a loss like this. They even expected 20 billion yen. So this whole thread is actually quite silly. Especially since we'll be talking about all the same shit again tomorrow when their official results are out.

jcm

It's not just expected, they even announced in their last forecast that they'd be posting a loss like this. They even expected 20 billion yen. So this whole thread is actually quite silly. Especially since we'll be talking about all the same shit again tomorrow when their official results are out.

Well, that's what they revised it down to three months ago. This time last year they expected 20B JPY profit. It's disingenuous to claim this is all according to plan.

2. Briefing of consolidated earnings forecast for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013
Earnings forecasts for the full fiscal year ending March 31, 2013 are as follows;
* Percentages indicate the changes from the previous fiscal year.
Net Sales: 820.0 billion yen 26.6%*
Operating Income: 35.0 billion yen -
Ordinary Income: 35.0 billion yen -
Net Income: 20.0 billion yen -

Foreign exchange rate assumptions at the end of this fiscal year are 80 yen per U.S. dollar, and 105 yen per Euro.

Forecasted unit sales for the full fiscal year ending March 31, 2013 are as follows;
Nintendo DS Hardware 2.5 million units
Nintendo DS Software 37.0 million units
Nintendo 3DS Hardware 18.5 million units
Nintendo 3DS Software 73.0 million units
Wii Hardware 10.5 million units
Wii Software 70.0 million units
*Nintendo DS means Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo DSi, and Nintendo DSi XL.
*Forecasted software sales units do not include the quantity bundled with hardware.
*Forecasted "Wii" hardware and software sales units include the quantity of the “Wii U” hardware and software.
*Forecasted sales units of the "Nintendo 3DS" software and the "Wii U" software contained in the "Wii" software include the quantity of the packaged software by means of digital distribution.

-MB-

There is no denying Nintendo is in a slump atm, espescially with the wiiu, but I refuse to accept the hyperbole about Nintendo quitting
the console side of things, or Iata being the worst CEO ever in need of getting the boot asap.
I'd wager his successes with the Ds and Wii gives him at least a certain amount of credit and leeway
and he should get a fair shot at at least trying to remedy the issues they have atm.
It's liek with football club trainers, People like Ferguson and wenger, they have credit with the fans and the board at the club,
because of the massive succeses they had.
And you have clubs who kick the trainer to the curb when things don't go as planned for a bit, like Chelsea.
it's horrible policy to be doing that, and it only will hurt you in the long run.

Iwata should at least be given time till the 2014 deadlien he set himself, since these Bloomberg estimates, seem to suggest Nintendo at least
is meeting targets for this fiscal year losscutting wise, and we will see if they can meet the goals for the next one.

Somnid

Isn't this expected with a new console released this FY? All the marketing and what not must cost a lot.

I think the intelligent observer will note that releasing products has progressively taken more and more effort and money and that Nintendo is not immune to it. They lost less money this year so things are improving and it would seem like they will return to profits again now that they are out of the launch period. It's still an anomaly for Nintendo which had never reported a loss in 20+ years.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Well its not going to help them much.

No one is saying PS4 and 720 will not do poorly solely due to their graphics. The reason people think PS4 and 720 will do better its because they will be backed by the third parties, and offer a generational leap which the consumer can see clearly.

WiiU had none of those things.

Good point, I see the third parties supporting everything tho. All the big holiday season games are on every console possible. Apart from EA being salty with nintendo

Daingurse

Your thought's mirror mine. The Gamepad was a larger risk than Nintendo ever could have realized. It was honestly a very safe and calculated maneuver made from within the Nintendo bubble, that didn't resonate with the mainstream audience like they anticipated. I don't know why they thought it would have mass appeal over the Wii-Mote, no clue whatsoever.

There is no denying Nintendo is in a slump atm, espescially with the wiiu, but I refuse to accept the hyperbole about Nintendo quitting
the console side of things, or Iata being the worst CEO ever in need of getting the boot asap.
I'd wager his successes with the Ds and Wii gives him at least a certain amount of credit and leeway
and he should get a fair shot at at least trying to remedy the issues they have atm.
It's liek with football club trainers, People like Ferguson and wenger, they have credit with the fans and the board at the club,
because of the massive succeses they had.
And you have clubs who kick the trainer to the curb when things don't go as planned for a bit, like Chelsea.
it's horrible policy to be doing that, and it only will hurt you in the long run.

Iwata should at least be given time till the 2014 deadlien he set himself, since these Bloomberg estimates, seem to suggest Nintendo at least
is meeting targets for this fiscal year losscutting wise, and we will see if they can meet the goals for the next one.

Nintendo is in a bad position RIGHT NOW, though obviously things will likely improve going forth. While I don't believe that Iwata is a TERRIBLE CEO, I do believe that he has outlasted his time at Nintendo. Nintendo NEEDS to be dragged into the present in terms of digital distribution accounts, marketing, multiplayer, third party support, unifying Nintendo East and Nintendo West. Iwata is simply not the person to do this.

Under his watch he has had two of the worst launches of Nintendo hardware. While he was head of Nintendo for the DS/Wii, it's all about what have you done for me lately in this business, look at crazy Ken with the PS3. You're previous success are history and it's all about how successful he is TODAY.

Iwata PROMISED that Nintendo had learned from the 3DS launch. That Nintendo had reached out and made sure that third parties were getting what they wanted. That there wasn't going to be a drought. Welp, so much for that. Launch window games will hit 6-8 months after the actual launch. The day one OS was embarrassing.

It's time for him to go.

The difference is that Irrational is a DEVELOPER while Nintendo is a PUBLISHER and a publisher with formats that they need to support. Iwata himself keeps saying that droughts destroy the momentum Nintendo consoles need, you agree with him right?

He also says he has plans to do better for the next machine, but he's never delivered on that.
He's right that the drought hurts momentum, and he's also right to absorb the hit when the alternative (rushing out unpolished titles) sacrifices the quality of the company's core business (software).

Nintendo is a developer as well. Them publishing their own games does not invalidate the comparison. I could say the same for Valve.

He's right that the drought hurts momentum, and he's also right to absorb the hit when the alternative (rushing out unpolished titles) sacrifices the quality of the company's core business (software).

Nintendo is a developer as well. Them publishing their own games does not invalidate the comparison. I could say the same for Valve.

The difference is Valve isn't a hardware manufacturer. Also, even if Valve isn't releasing their own developed games, they've built up Steam to the point that they're releasing 10-20 games a week from others on their store.

I'm quite astounded there are some people in here squawking "lack of forward momentum" as if Nintendo isn't going to release any games going into FY 2014.

I feel like Nintendo is only a few steps short of ditching home consoles and just going into maximum handheld support.

Their handheld game is completely unstoppable but they haven't produced a solid console in a long time.

Every year since Gamecube someone has said that. It ain't happenin'.

vdoggie

Banned
Your thought's mirror mine. The Gamepad was a larger risk than Nintendo ever could have realized. It was honestly a very safe and calculated maneuver made from within the Nintendo bubble, that didn't resonate with the mainstream audience like they anticipated. I don't know why they thought it would have mass appeal over the Wii-Mote, no clue whatsoever.

No.. the issue is the "Wii' bubble has burst.. there is no interest in it.. the Wii U didn't abandon that control scheme.. notice everything is backwards compatible? a lot more consumer friendly than the ps4/durango will be... the issue is, it's really difficult to market what the gamepad does! maybe people don't see the value in it.. or it's too complex looking.. too many buttons.. who knows.. either way, as a gamer, it's freaking awesome.. it destroys the concept of the wii/wiimote.. dual screen gaming is here to stay.. it's easily one of the coolest innovations in gaming for home consoles..

ASIS

Because motion controls arent unique anymore. Every Device with the slightest gaming capabilities has a motion mechanic implemented in this day and age. But not everyone has a screen built in as a home console.

Don't get me wrong I would have MUCH preferred a Wii remote successor. But this is probably Nintendo's thought.

javac

So when are we actually going to get the report? I'm assuming there will be some info dumps when it happens? We learned a bit about the eshop and NFC stuff last time right?

Daingurse

No.. the issue is the "Wii' bubble has burst.. there is no interest in it.. the Wii U didn't abandon that control scheme.. notice everything is backwards compatible? a lot more consumer friendly than the ps4/durango will be... the issue is, it's really difficult to market what the gamepad does! maybe people don't see the value in it.. or it's too complex looking.. too many buttons.. who knows.. either way, as a gamer, it's freaking awesome.. it destroys the concept of the wii/wiimote.. dual screen gaming is here to stay.. it's easily one of the coolest innovations in gaming for home consoles..

Nothing has sold me on asymmetrical gaming at all, simply distracting or meh in my opinion. I'd love to see a killer app that makes the most of the gamepad. When a console is out that I don't own, I SHOULD feel salty about if it's any good. No salt for the Wii-U, yet.

the Wii U didn't abandon that control scheme.. notice everything is backwards compatible?
By not packing a Wiimote into every console, devs are going to have an excuse not to support the Wiimote. And while different control options is good for the consumer, I'll bet that it's an additional obstacle for devs, especially if they aren't lazily shoehorning motion controls into their product, aka "waggle".

So when are we actually going to get the report? I'm assuming there will be some info dumps when it happens? We learned a bit about the eshop and NFC stuff last time right?

This should be added to the OP:

FY 2013 Earnings Release schedule:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...0424T16&p1=538

London * Wed 8:00 AM BST
Paris * Wed 9:00 AM CEST
Los Angeles * Midnight Tue-Wed PDT
New York * Wed 3:00 AM EDT
Chicago * Wed 2:00 AM CDT

FY 2013 Briefing (Q&A, Presentation, Outline, Supplementary Info) schedule:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...0425T10&p1=538

London * Thu 2:00 AM BST
Paris * Thu 3:00 AM CEST
Los Angeles * Wed 6:00 PM PDT
New York * Wed 9:00 PM EDT
Chicago * Wed 8:00 PM CDT

Note, these are tentative release times based on when they were released in previous FYs...Nintendo hasn't formally announced a date and these may be off by an hour or so.

Conor 419

Banned
That is not an excuse. Well over a year gap between WiiU and 3DS. In 2001 GBA and GCN launched just mere months apart. They had no loss that year.

Nintendo has not had a loss for over 30 years until last year. Now they have losses 2 years in a row.

Do you have data on what their profits were by year?

I don't see how you do that without making either an overpriced handheld or an underpowered console. Or both at the same time, given Nintendo's recent track record.

That would be the balancing act. I don't know what the state of tablet-esque tech is going to be in 3-5 years (however long the 3DS/Wii U can hold on) when this new theoretical device would be necessary. This could all be a silly pipe dream. I'm just somewhat skeptical of the long-term viability of another GameBoy/DS dedicated handheld device as smartphones and tablets gain more and more traction. But given what they attempted to do with the GamePad, my gut read is that they see some future in this sort of hybrid portable/television gaming, which could be a good, unique hook if done more competently than the Wii U is currently.

I'm quite astounded there are some people in here squawking "lack of forward momentum" as if Nintendo isn't going to release any games going into FY 2014.

There will not be any significant releases until July/August. That is about 10 months after launch. Monster Hunter could be argued as the only piece of software the could have moved hardware and by all accounts it didn't.

Do you not see the problem? Nintendo basically had 10 months to itself and it did didley squat. As the advertizing campaigns begin to taking hold for the PS4/Xbox 3, you best believe that the Wii U will be even more ignored by retailers, the press, and many gamers.
Again, this isn't an issue for me as I bought the Wii U for Nintendo games but for the health of Nintendo it's irresponsible. My only real problems with Nintendo's handling of the Wii U are their digital distribution system, the OS, and their terrible handling of the Virtual Channel.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Every year since Gamecube someone has said that. It ain't happenin'.

Well Gamecube was considered like some kind of baseline of "it can't get worse than this", and of course the sheer anomaly of the Wii's sales compared to all other Nintendo home consoles since the SNES painted a far different future.

Here we are though with Nintendo struggling to produce enough software for two 3d platforms at the same time, and one of those platforms is tracking below the Gamecube to a sizeable degree while the other faces a society that has fully embraced mobile computing technology that isn't a dedicated handheld only and slowing that platform's potential growth.

Sooner or later Iwata or whoever comes next has to decide to focus on the strongest ship and let the weaker one either sink after another failed voyage, or torch it themselves.

krizzx

This is one of the most disingenuous posts I've read in the entire forum.

Take a seat. Have a glass of water. I'm sure you're exhausted after erecting all those strawmen.

Strawmen? You do know what a strawman argument is right?

That would imply that I created a fake question of my invention to answer instead of answering the question asked. I specifically answered the exact question that was posed. How is that a strawman?

I don't think any reasonable person doubts that when Smash and 3D Mario and Mario Kart and Retro's game and (insert whatever else you are personally pumped about here) make it to the marketplace the situation will improve. What's in doubt is the extent. That November 2013 won't have NPD numbers as laughably awful as January 2013 is a given. Whether or not November and December are the start of strong, sustainable sales that completely correct the current trajectory in the long term is another matter entirely.

Yes, there'll be some big, marketable titles people will want to play. But there'll also be two new consoles releasing, and a new GTA, and whatever other big third party titles for current gen systems that won't see a Wii U release due to poor third party support.

javac

This should be added to the OP:

Note, these are tentative release times based on when they were released in previous FYs...Nintendo hasn't formally announced a date and these may be off by an hour or so.

Thanks! Seems like a while from now so I guess we will all have to wait in anticipation! Unless Nintendo are ready to go all out at E3 and be silent until then we should get some info with this on games etc. One can hope!

Top Bottom