• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: PS5 official says PS5 event for this month is 'tentative' (Analyst expects $500/$400 price point)

Javthusiast

Banned
I am mostly digital with any media at this point. I gladly buy the DE, especially since it also is more aesthetically pleasing.

Should I get the urge to watch one of my blu rays, which I haven't touched in years with many still sealed, then I have a ps3 and ps4 to do it.

I'm going digital since I have a separate 4K Bluray player. Plus I'm starting to use PSNow more (downloading the games, I'm not streaming them) and I'm finding out that with my backlog I can't afford to have games just laying around anymore.

Nah man. Not true. I realized that I don't buy or use 2nd hand games anymore with the existence of PSNow and PS+ game sales. But I agree with you that the console needs to be AT LEAST $50 cheaper. But it should be $100 cheaper to get the full benefit for the consumer.
Note that if you are already 100% digital, then Sony doesn't care which you buy.

Sony only want to sell All Digital, to people who would one day want to buy physical but can't anymore. Basically it is a con job, the people who Sony want to buy the digital console are exactly the people who should not buy it. While someone already full digital like you, basically get a discount for PS5 for nothing in return.

But that is precisely the paradox. If everyone voluntarily go full digital purchases, Sony would have no need to take the disc reader out at all. They would be able to keep marketing the multimedia functions as a bonus feature.

All Digital is not the future yet. Taking the disc reader out is a way to force it on people against their will after the fact.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Note that if you are already 100% digital, then Sony doesn't care which you buy.

Sony only want to sell All Digital, to people who would one day want to buy physical but can't anymore. Basically it is a con job, the people who Sony want to buy the digital console are exactly the people who should not buy it. While someone already full digital like you, basically get a discount for PS5 for nothing in return.

But that is precisely the paradox. If everyone voluntarily go full digital purchases, Sony would have no need to take the disc reader out at all. They would be able to keep marketing the multimedia functions as a bonus feature.

All Digital is not the future yet. Taking the disc reader out is a way to force it on people against their will after the fact.

I'd completely agree with this if there weren't two console options at launch. Now if Sony makes 80% of the PS5s the digital only version, then that will be a BIG problem. And then I'd agree with you.

Lockhart only being $100 off is ridiculous, there's not enough price differentiation. There will be at least $200 difference between Lockhart and Series X.

As you said, MS only wants people in the ecosystem, so Series X Is not that important, it's only their PR box. They won't care who buys what as long as they can get a Gamepass sub out of it, so they will push Lockhart hard as the cheaper, mass market option.

Lockhart will be $299 and XSX will be $499.

lololol. Yeah MS spent the last 9 months promoting the series x along with the years of R&D into a console that's 'not that important'. That is a really expensive PR box.

A 30% cut on all game sales trumps a gamepass sub which MS admits is not even profitable. The mass market doesn't buy consoles at launch. The hardcore gamer who buy several games a year does which is why they're 'PR box' is the only console MS has shown so far.

The mass market already has choices for $299 that will play every major third party title on lockhart for the next two years.

Last edited:
With next gen and Jim Ryan downplaying having the lowest price and Phil saying they won't be the most expensive, MS will probably take a loss a $399 because they want people in the ecosystem and GamePass subs are more important to them than any sort of console loss at launch; especially since in the digital age when game attach ratios at retail are worthless.

Meaning we'll probably see:

PS5 Disc: $499
XSX: $399
PS5 DE: $399
Lockhart: $299
This is the only correct answer. It would make little sense for MS to charge $100 more than the PS5 without a drive. If Sony is willing to sell their tech at $400 MS will too.

ManaByte

This is the only correct answer. It would make little sense for MS to charge $100 more than the PS5 without a drive. If Sony is willing to sell their tech at $400 MS will too.

And Phil already said they wouldn't be more expensive this time. Again, people ignore that.

supernova8

Banned
There are sales year round. Within the first twelve months of launch you can get any game at half the price.

If you're a physical media collector? I get. If you're broke and you need to sell games to buy games? I get it. Otherwise it's just a waste of time and space.

PC has been pretty much full on digital platform for years for good reason.

One key difference is that PC is not (completely) a monopoly. Steam and Epic are competing. EA Origin is a thing (not a very good thing), same with Windows store. When you go digital on Playstation, there is by-default no competition and so Sony can (and will, if they are a money-making venture) charge as much as they can get away with without causing a media uproar.

That's one of the reasons why it's in our best interests for Microsoft to be credible competition to Sony. That is really the only thing that will stop them from ripping us off in future when everyone is stuck on PSN.

To be clear, I'm not bashing Sony per se, I'm just saying it's a not a good situation where you can only buy from the platform holder's store. If Android wasn't a thing, Apple would probably be a lot greedier.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
There are sales year round. Within the first twelve months of launch you can get any game at half the price.
That's true. I do think that if you buy second hand within the first 3 months of release you can still get the game a lot cheaper, but if you don't mind to wait you can get them digitally on the cheap to after 6-12 months. Like Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, wanted to play it since release but have been putting off buying it until now. Only $25 for the deluxe edition on cdkeys.

Sony have their good PR for this month. Spiderman deal and record breaking financial quarter. They're doing a SOP, not over hyping it so there won't be any backlash.

Xbox rapidly losing relevance. MS need to counter fast, assuming they even can. If MS do and they announce price and date, Sony will confirm an August event after them. If not they will tentively push it back for September.

Why would you want or even hope for XBox to go away? Competition is always good. Having a monopoly is not...unless you want a repeat of what Sony did at the PS3 price launch announcement: $599 for 60 GB PS3, $499 for the 20 GB PS3. With competition, Sony is worried about the XB Lockhart and Game Pass, and that's why we may see a $400 PS5, with technology that 99% of PC gamers do NOT have at the moment, not even at $3,000+ PC machines!

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
lololol. Yeah MS spent the last 9 months promoting the series x along with the years of R&D into a console that's 'not that important'. That is a really expensive PR box.

A 30% cut on all game sales trumps a gamepass sub which MS admits is not even profitable. The mass market doesn't buy consoles at launch. The hardcore gamer who buy several games a year does which is why they're 'PR box' is the only console MS has shown so far.

The mass market already has choices for $299 that will play every major third party title on lockhart for the next two years.

Feel free to disagree, but that Series X Is not going to be cheap with the SSD, the big SoC, the amount of memory and the split pcb. You don't do those things if you want a cheaper machine.

The entire reason Lockhart exists is because MS wants to go for the cheaper segment of the market from the get go and thinks they can sell more consoles if they come with a cheaper box than Sony can.

I mean, nobody knows anything so it's only speculation, but it would be really, really stupid to have both Series X and Lockhart if the only difference between them is $100.

So, that's why I think the Series X is their aspirational box, like the One X was, it's there for graphics comparisons and marketing, but I think MS is hoping they can sell more by selling that next gen in a small box experience.

Given that, $500 and $300 is my prediction.

Kerotan

Why would you want or even hope for XBox to go away? Competition is always good. Having a monopoly is not...unless you want a repeat of what Sony did at the PS3 price launch announcement: $599 for 60 GB PS3, $499 for the 20 GB PS3. With competition, Sony is worried about the XB Lockhart and Game Pass, and that's why we may see a $400 PS5, with technology that 99% of PC gamers do NOT have at the moment, not even at $3,000+ PC machines!
I liked the competition from MS during the golden age from 2007 to 2011. Their games have been sub par since and honestly for the most part they don't even compete with Sony games.

I'd like them to stick around but looks like they've given up challenging Sony and are moving to an online services brand. I know Sony have PS NOW too but it's secondary to their traditional console approach and I'm a traditional Gamer.

Top Bottom