• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Ubisoft Wields Threat of Talent Exodus to Thwart Hostile Vivendi

I'm sorry I still find it amazing that Ubi can't do anything to block this if it's something they themselves don't want or don't believe is in the best interests for the company =/

They can try to block hostile takeovers with poison pills and golden parachutes if they really wanted. That would require changes to the company's bylaws though

Except for the probable death of ubiart projects and rayman, from a consumers point of view, I can't see where this is such a bad thing.

Ubisoft is already rushing products to market annually with derivative cookie-cutter gameplay. They are already moving the majority of their products towards always online and their games are already are shit show in terms of performance at launch.

The scope of AC as a series might be toned down somewhat but honestly, it might be a good thing anyway if the next AC is made by a normal sized AAA team and on a budget. It will force people to be creative instead of just recreating historical periods digitally.

Look what Vivendi did to Canal Plus

Ubi isn't creative at all.

Do folk have really short memories or something? Or is this just the same nonsense that comes from the folk who really thought EA was the worst company in America a couple years back?

Rayman_Origins_Box_Art.jpg

256px-Child_of_Light_art.jpg

250px-Valiant_Hearts_The_Great_War.jpg

Grow_home_box_art%2C_Feb_2015.jpg

And that's not counting them going off and taking chances on bigger games like For Honor, Far Cry Primal and the like. Sure, Ubisoft loves to rapidly iterate on their games but how many other publishers are out there making a AAA game set in prehistoric times (even with a strong IP attached) or one focused on historical soldiers with original mechanics? I'm not saying Ubi is without fault but denounce them as not being creative is pretty absurd to me.

Hit the nail on the head.

Ubisoft Said to Seek White Knight to Fend Off Vivendi

Ubisoft Entertainment is working with financial advisers to find a white knight that will help it fend off the unwanted embrace of media conglomerate Vivendi SA and its chairman, Vincent Bollore, according to people familiar with the matter.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eek-white-knight-to-fend-off-vivendi-advances

Kinda similar to when Activision asked outside investors (Leonard Green, Tencent) to help them buy themselves from Vivendi.

Do folk have really short memories or something? Or is this just the same nonsense that comes from the folk who really thought EA was the worst company in America a couple years back?

And that's not counting them going off and taking chances on bigger games like For Honor, Far Cry Primal and the like. Sure, Ubisoft loves to rapidly iterate on their games but how many other publishers are out there making a AAA game set in prehistoric times (even with a strong IP attached) or one focused on historical soldiers with original mechanics? I'm not saying Ubi is without fault but denounce them as not being creative is pretty absurd to me.

Hit the nail on the head.

I believe For Honor takes the bigger slice of the risk pie than Far Cry with its already established brand and conventional Ubi-world systems.

oldergamer

The battle for Gameloft was lost officially today. Vivendi won that fight and shareholders over. I'm fairly familiar with both companies. Worked at one and the other tried to hire me as well. I think most people in this thread have no idea what either company is run like. Gameloft was the worst offender of the two, on so many fronts. However, I really think it wouldn't be a bad thing to get different heads involved in at the top level.

The threat of talent exodus is pure bullshit, as the people threatening to leave are also the people that would/could be fired to remove some of the management between developers and releasing products. I can guarantee HQ at gameloft will be gutted which would present more autonomy to each individual studio. I could see something similar happening with Ubi.

*Splinter

Ubisoft get a lot of shit, but I noticed recently that they've published most of the games I own this gen including some favourites - and that's despite me ignoring most of their big releases.

Rayman Legends was a solid platformer back when there was very little else worth playing.
Trials Fusion is fantastic and received a LOT of post launch support.
Trackmania is a more recent favourite from them.

I haven't played Assassins Creed since 1 or 2, but those big bland releases fund so many good and creative games (my examples aren't even the best, just my personal favourites).

They must be doing something right, glad to hear they're resisting this.

Top Bottom