• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blu-ray Disc Association is working on adopting 4K/UHD content

Status
Not open for further replies.
3D was added to Blu-ray, even higher resolutions are being added to Blu-ray, what about higher frame rates at the same time? Last I knew it wasn't possible to have, say, a version of the Hobbit movies that was both 3D and 48fps.

They still haven't released the Hobbit in 48fps and 2D.

It's more about what the TV's support than the blu-ray format, unfortunately.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It really does make everything look like a soap opera. It's hard to explain if you've never seen it in action, but it's very off-putting.

I agree but I suspect it may simply take a few years to get used to and I'm glad they're at least trying.

It really does make everything look like a soap opera. It's hard to explain if you've never seen it in action, but it's very off-putting.

I've seen it. It's subjective connotation. "Only filmed thing I've seen with a high frame rate was a soap opera, therefore..."

It's not really our faults for thinking this. More broad exposure to high frame rate material would help. For now, we're stuck with soup operas, a few sitcoms, and home video. It's too bad too because 24 FPS looks okay but high-speed detail gets lost.

There will never be enough 4K content to justify the price tag of the hardware. Only company backing 4k content at the moment is SONY and they have only released a handful of movies on blu-ray.
The price tag isn't even that high. You can get a 4k tv for the same price as a high end 1080p set.

FoxSpirit

Don't want my movies lookin like day time dramas
"stage plays"
Proper 60fps gives the impression of a Theater play. The soap effect comes from a lot of factors combined together, one of them being related to shutters and fps. A more knowledgeable person can tell you more specifics.

Also, 8k is basically useless unless you really want to view a picture that is much larger than your field of view. I personally like to see the whole thing so 4k is enough for me. And 8k streaming? They currently barely provide enough for 1080p in good quality, what indications do we have that 8k will fare better?

Only thing I can think of is that 8k more heavily compressed looks better than 4k with less compression. Maybe a bit like 10-bit colours?

Mononoke

Banned
There will never be enough 4K content to justify the price tag of the hardware. Only company backing 4k content at the moment is SONY and they have only released a handful of movies on blu-ray.

That's what DVD owners said about Blu Ray. If 4k is really the eventual future and is adopted as a popular resolution, it will eventually be a norm like Blu ray 1080p was. And hardware prices will eventually come down. Do you seriously think 4k is going to stay that expensive? Again, do I need to point out Blu Ray was expensive as hell when it first came out. All new tech is.

FoxSpirit

To be precise, the only thing expensive about 4k is the display technology. Playback hardware capable of 4k is already really cheap in production (potential improved BluRay-laser aside).

Rootbeer

Banned
Sucks that they are lagging behind on getting 4K discs standardized. I really wish it had been included in the PS4. The fact that everyone got a blu-ray player with their PS3 surely gave a boost to the format. 4Kbrd isn't going to have that same benefit, unless Sony can somehow enable it via a firmware update, which would be pretty sweet.

That's what DVD owners said about Blu Ray. If 4k is really the eventual future and is adopted as a popular resolution, it will eventually be a norm like Blu ray 1080p was.

Blu-ray isn't the norm though, dvd still is. And 4K has less obvious benefits then Blu-ray.

I mean I want this to happen, but given the glacial pace of blu-ray take up, I'm not sure how successful it'll be. I'd imagine 8K will be out before 4K even receives the modest market penetration BR has today.

This shit is going to be a clusterfuck. People are still content with 1080p blurays, if not still adopting to it. We are still selling a shit ton of DVDs for fucks sake. There are still thousands of pieces of content yet to receive a standard 1080p release. Joe Whoever barely understands that 1080p is HD. You think these studios can convince him to give a hell about something called 4k? And not before 8k comes a year later. The rerelease of more expensive old content in such a short time, in such a confusing package, requiring new TVs with 4k resolution only to be trumped by 8k TVs in such short time later, after the overall flatlining/slump of 3D sets and content, will be the death of physical media.

I'm all for them including the movie 4k/8k resolution in standard blurays, allowing it to be downscaled appropriately for 1080p sets, but attempting to rerelease everything in 4k/8k will just confuse the general market.
So, everyone talks about live action in this....what about animated movies and 2D/3D animated TV shows?

Can they be done in 4K?

Similarly to a blurry transfer, the original source film is at a higher resolution than 4k or even 8k sometimes. There is no need to re-render, just adapt the high quality original print to the format's resolution.

notBald

This shit is going to be a clusterfuck. People are still content with 1080p blurays, if not still adopting to it.

I've gone back to buying DVDs over blurays. DVDs are simply more convenient. My brand new slim PS3 takes ages to load a bluray, while a DVD is quick and even (gasp) resumes. Hell I've never seen any player glitch on a DVD, but the second bluray I put in my PS3 stuttered. According to the web it's a known issue with that bluray and PS3 consoles, which is weird as I though all blurays would work on a PS3 - being it's the most popular player. Moronic.

The improved quality isn't worth the hazzle and glitches.

Now, if they made a 60 or 48 FPS format I'd ditch DVD in an instant. 24 FPS is choppy. There could be a "half frame rate" mode for those weirdos that actually want that.

source film is at a higher resolution than 4k or even 8k sometimes. There is no need to re-render, just adapt the high quality original print to the format's resolution.

They are for the most part rendered at various aspect ratios of 1080p. CG movies have only recently started rendering in 4k resolutions and most studios still try to avoid due to the severe costs.

Any old CG movie will be re-rendered to fit a new higher resolution, unless of course a studio decides to digitally upscale.

Quackula

Now, if they made a 60 or 48 FPS format I'd ditch DVD in an instant. 24 FPS is choppy. There could be a "half frame rate" mode for those weirdos that actually want that.

Uh... 24FPS isn't in any way a limitation of the format. Go buy some TV shows that were shot on video on DVD. Those are going to be 60fps. Same goes for Blu Ray.

The framerate issue is a question of content, not of format.

bro1

Banned
I've gone back to buying DVDs over blurays. DVDs are simply more convenient. My brand new slim PS3 takes ages to load a bluray, while a DVD is quick and even (gasp) resumes. Hell I've never seen any player glitch on a DVD, but the second bluray I put in my PS3 stuttered. According to the web it's a known issue with that bluray and PS3 consoles, which is weird as I though all blurays would work on a PS3 - being it's the most popular player. Moronic.

The improved quality isn't worth the hazzle and glitches.

what kind of setup do you have that you can't appreciate the difference between DVD and Blu Ray? Even on my son's 720p set, I can see a huge difference. On my 1080p and 5.2 setup, blu rays kill my dvd collection.

max-pain

how about making 60fps an option, instead of this 23.976 garbage

framerates > resolution

I'm pretty sure it would be possible because it looks like HEVC Level 5.1 Main 10 profile will be the standard and that allows 4096/3840x2160 up to 60 fps and 10 bit per color. But movies use 24 fps...

I thought they couldn't press disks with more than two layers or did they get over that hurdle?

I welcome my H.265 overlord.

Weren't Star Wars 2 and 3 also shot digitally on 1080 cameras?

A bunch of movies have been shot in 1080p or 2K. Some of the more notable examples include Star Wars Episodes 2 and 3, Tron Legacy, Sin City, Hugo, and even Avatar.
Of course, a movie like Avatar can still benefit from higher resolution, since most of it is CGI.

NekoFever

Uh... 24FPS isn't in any way a limitation of the format. Go buy some TV shows that were shot on video on DVD. Those are going to be 60fps. Same goes for Blu Ray.

The framerate issue is a question of content, not of format.

The Blu-ray spec doesn't allow 1080p at higher than 24fps. 50/60Hz stuff is usually 1080i for that reason (see most BBC TV shows, since they're filmed for 50Hz UK TV).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Video

Since Google Fiber has been mentioned, how is their 1080 content? Does it have a higher bitrate than regular HD cable providers? Look as good as bluray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom