• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon DS - Video Updates Thread (Trailer 2 now up! Developer revealed!)

Peff

It does look very nice. At first I didn't like the MMO aspects but I've warmed up to them, it seems solid and online co-op would be awesome. Hopefully it will be released soon in America/Europe.

Anso

duckroll said:
No sound?

Seems like sound failed me. My file plays with sound in VLC but not on YouTube. Handling WMV on Mac, in VLC, doesn't seem like 100% awesome. I'll try some different settings and upload another one.

batbeg

Eh, I'm still not overly impressed. Which is probably just as well, too many damn games for me to get.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Best looking DS 3d to date I think. Some bits and environments gave me a Megaman Legends feel. I can't motivate myself to play through the X360 game at all, but will probably give this one a go since its an ARPG!

FF Gaiden is still the best looking thus far, I think. The excellent art direction is certainly a part of that though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
batbeg said:
FF Gaiden is still the best looking thus far, I think. The excellent art direction is certainly a part of that though.

FF Gaiden does indeed look awesome, but imo nothing beats DQ9 and Inazuma 11 :)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wow, looks really good, are the battles on the field, or do you enter a battle mode when you encounter an enemy (like Tales games)?

And I'm really curious what leads to them turning into Super Sentai characters at 1:14.

jRPG

New video looks cool. Great news about tri-Crescendo, they haven't made a game I don't like (Yes, I liked Eternal Sonata)!

duckroll

DQIX loses a ton of points in the graphics category for having framerate dips in every single fucking town. Sorry, but that's not acceptable if you're talking about the best looking game on a system.

Anso

Tried a bazillion combinations of audio/video codecs without any luck. WMV streams aren't Mac-friendly.

...do I get HALF the achievement?

Hmm, tri-Crescendo... interesting. On one hand, I liked the combat and presentation of Eternal Sonata, on the other hand, I hated everything else about the game and couldn't wait for it to end. Pretty sure that's the only title of theirs that I've played, so that's all I have to go off. Still, I'm looking forward to this.

And am I the only one who likes DS 3D? I think most of the 3D games I've played look relatively good when properly stylized.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Tri-Crescendo?! Didn't expect that one. Game might be on my radar now.
Assuming it ever comes out here, of course. Unlikely, I suppose.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Eh, tri-Crescendo hasn't done anything good on their own yet so I'm still skeptical. I wonder who the battle planner was...

duckroll

No new video yet, sorry. But the official site has updated with a message from Sakaguchi. He talks about how the concept of the game from the very beginning has been a 3 player online co-op RPG which could be played over wireless as well as Wi-Fi. Because of the nature of the game design, the development in the latter half of the process has been dedicated to balance and bug fixes for the online component.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/084/G008497/20090914026/

4gamer also has a new preview on the game, with some new screens. It also mentions that the game has been in development for about 2 years, and that the next special message on the official site will be from the director of the game - Yoshiharu Miyake. He is a programmer at Tri-Crescendo. He previously worked as battle programmer on the original Valkyrie Profile, Baten Kaitos, Baten Kaitos 2, and Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata. He also worked as effects programmer on Baten Kaitos 2 and Fragile. This will be his directorial debut.

http://www.gpara.com/comingsoon/bluedragon_ikainokyojuu/090914/

GPara also has a new preview of the game with the same screens, but a new key visual. Looks like a high-tech city of some sort.

The pre-order bonus booklet for the game will be 80 pages and in full color. It'll have a cover illustration by Toriyama, and contain designs, bonus manga stuff and a mini-guide for the game inside.

jesusraz

duckroll said:
No, it's really not. I'm just going out of my way to dig up every bit of news I see and posting it here. :(
Damn, and there was me thinking that over-the-top sales prediction I made the other week might actually be supported by a last minute flurry of promotion...*sigh*

Ah well, I'm still looking forward to it whatever the case. Cheers for digging up the info/screens :)

jj984jj

Yoshiharu Miyake? Is there another programmer with the same name at Monolith Software who did effect programming for Xenosaga E.III and battle & effect programming for OG Saga or does he just work with them too?

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Yoshiharu Miyake? Is there another programmer with the same name at Monolith Software who did effect programming for Xenosaga E.III and battle & effect programming for OG Saga or does he just work with them too?

You know, that's an excellent question, but we might never know the answer to that question. :lol

jj984jj

Oh okay. :lol

The high-tech city looks nice.
20iz1o3.jpg

I really hope this game has a fun battle system and no poorly designed dungeons.

duckroll

I gotta wonder though. What are the odds of two Japanese guys with the exact same name, being in the exact same discipline (battle and effect programming), working in two studios who have not only worked together on projects, but worked on all their games under the same publisher. It's either the same guy, or they probably have very interesting conversations when they meet. :p

BluWacky

duckroll said:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/084/G008497/20090924071/

Oh look! It's so exciting! There are.... some new pics! The game is out in 2 weeks, and the official site is still practically empty! Bandai Namco Games is doing their upmost best to market and promote this game to the masses! Fuckkk yeaaaaahhhhh!!!! lulz

Ouch, those shots aren't good; they could at least put some clouds in the sky or something. Maybe it's the camera angle; the indoor stuff has always looked pretty good in shots I've seen before.

duck, I can't decide if you're actually excited about this game or not. My sarcasm meter is swinging wildly :(

duckroll

harSon said:
Is The Gooch even at TGS? :/

No, I think he's back in Hawaii living it up. Obviously he doesn't really give a fuck about his job, it's just something he does when he's bored... sometimes.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
speedpop said:
:lol damn lonely in this thread.

As long as we get some positive impressions from duckroll, I know I plan on picking it up if/when it hits the west.

I've been following all the news posted as well. Just not much to comment on.

duckroll

Another new preview: http://www.4gamer.net/games/084/G008497/20091002019/

I love Bandai Namco. The game comes out next week (and that's after the delay, it's originally out this week), and the official site has NO content updates. The gameplay section is still practically empty. No magazine previews, no stage events at TGS, nothing. Zilch. Nada. I'll be shocked if the game sells even 50k next week. Lulz.

apujanata

duckroll said:
Another new preview: http://www.4gamer.net/games/084/G008497/20091002019/

I love Bandai Namco. The game comes out next week (and that's after the delay, it's originally out this week), and the official site has NO content updates. The gameplay section is still practically empty. No magazine previews, no stage events at TGS, nothing. Zilch. Nada. I'll be shocked if the game sells even 50k next week. Lulz.

Bandai Namco is adopting Just-In-Time marketing for this game, to minimize cost. It will happen one day before game release.

Or it could also because Bandai Namco marketing are targeting non-people with their marketing, and only ghost and other non-people are able to see those marketing effort.

Third possibility is that Bandai Namco is sending this game to die.

You can choose one or more of the above reason, or you can invent another one if you like.

jj984jj

Bahaha, the poo snake sunk up on him and killed him when he had low health.

Edit: Oh good there is some new music as well. It sounds like a LOT was reused though.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Bahaha, the poo snake sunk up on him and killed him when he had low health.

Edit: Oh good there is some new music as well. It sounds like a LOT was reused though.

Is that what happened? I'm watching on the TV outside as well, so when I came back after a while I noticed he was doing stuff all over again. :lol

jj984jj

duckroll said:
Is that what happened? I'm watching on the TV outside as well, so when I came back after a while I noticed he was doing stuff all over again. :lol
Yeah. :lol

He started this quest where Jiro and Shu were going down different paths and when he was killing some monsters for Shu he died.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
clashfan said:
Any chance this comes to the US? I though MS own the Blue Dragon IP?

1) MS has no problems making publishing deals that bring their properties (or work from their studios) to the DS. See Viva Pinata, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.

2) Ignition (IIRC) brought over Blue Dragon Plus for the DS a year or two ago.

The only potential barriers to seeing Blue Dragon DS brought over are lack of interest and what I can only imagine were bomba-like sales of BD+.

duckroll

AndriaSang said:
Apparently, Weekly Jump had a contest that would give winners a copy of Blue Dragon. The contest incorrectly listed the availability as 10/1 instead of 10/8. But, they sent the copies out anyway, so winners got the game a week in advance.

The original release date was really 10/1 though, it was delayed to 10/8 to "improve the quality of the game" or some bullshit like that. So if the game could be pressed and printed by 10/1 anyway, why was there even a delay? Namco trying to kill the game on purpose confirmed! :lol

Top Bottom