• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Any news in the thread about Famitsu talking about how open the game is?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Blimblim said:
In one week some people in Japan should already have Blue Dragon. Can't wait for their impressions.

****ing duckroll....looks like I`ll be among them.

Jonnyram

TheTrin said:
Any news in the thread about Famitsu talking about how open the game is?
When you say "open", what do you mean? Have you played DQVIII - to all intents and purposes, Blue Dragon looks to be the same setup, except the world map is less DQVIII and more DQVII.

thetrin

Jonnyram said:
When you say "open", what do you mean? Have you played DQVIII - to all intents and purposes, Blue Dragon looks to be the same setup, except the world map is less DQVIII and more DQVII.

Yep, that`s what I was asking. Thanks.

Perhaps he's referring to how the multiple DVDs are handled and just how (relatively) linear the quest may be because of it?

or not...

thetrin

·feist· said:
Perhaps he's referring to how the multiple DVDs are handled and just how (relatively) linear the quest may be because of it?

or not...

It never stopped FF!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This might be the game that convinces me to get a 360. I've been holding out for a Final Fantasy update, but I'd be lying if I said I expected that before the end of 2008.

I want to hear about the combat system, the leveling up (weapon upgrades, attribute upgrades, etc) system, and enough of the story to convince me I haven't already played this.

Do I need the non-tardpack version to play this?

lachesis

And... if my source is right, Ryuga Gotoku 2 got 9/10/9/10! :D

While I'm so very excited about Blue Dragon, but since I won't be able to play it till they port it over to US... Ryuga Gotoku2 will be my game of december. :)

good times.

PantherLotus said:
I want to hear about the combat system, the leveling up (weapon upgrades, attribute upgrades, etc) system, and enough of the story to convince me I haven't already played this.

Blue Dragon is basically going to be Dragon Quest IX. Either you like that style or you don't but it'll no doubt feel like familiar territory. If you're expecting something completely new here you're likely to be disappointed.

nice score, i hope this helps XBOX 360 sales out there in Japan..

well, being this game as the debut for Mistwalker, it couldn't be any better than this.. I hope Lost Odyssey, Ash and Cry-On keep this quality level

TheTrin said:
It never stopped FF!
Correct :)
However it's done I just want this game!

On a semi-related note: I have high hopes for Cry-On (2008?), at least from a technical standpoint. Combining the platform experience gained between Bullet Witch and Blue Dragon should do wonders for that game.

duckroll

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Blue Dragon is basically going to be Dragon Quest IX. Either you like that style or you don't but it'll no doubt feel like familiar territory. If you're expecting something completely new here you're likely to be disappointed.

It actually sounds more like a cross between DQ8 and FF5, than vanilla DQ. :D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hitler Stole My Potato said:

Please confirm whether this is really "DQIX," in spirit or in marketing -- or if we're just hoping that it is.

I want to see Enemy design and combat control, mostly. I'm talking slimes buddy. I know that they got the DBZ artist...but that's not the main character designer for the enemies, at least not the main monsters in the field.

Level grinding?

duckroll

PantherLotus said:
I want to see Enemy design and combat control, mostly. I'm talking slimes buddy. I know that they got the DBZ artist...but that's not the main character designer for the enemies, at least not the main monsters in the field.

Huh? Toriyama is designing most of the monsters. He even has poopsnakes in the game. :p

thetrin

PantherLotus said:
Is that Akira Toriyama or Akira Toriyama?

:p

duckroll said:
Huh? Toriyama is designing most of the monsters. He even has poopsnakes in the game. :p

No one draws tightly coiled poopsnakes like Toriyama!

I hope the world map is fully explorable, even if it's in inferior scale compared to DQVIII.

Aniway, this is really a test for Microsoft... if it fails, even with such a game, then they can leave Japan and concentrate on western markets.

I'm really curious to see how many consoles they will be able to sell when it comes out :)

Sean*O

It seems that the actual Famitsu scans are on that other 'magazine' thread now. Can anyone translate the true review text for this thread? Thanks!

Sean*O

Storytelling is very effective and nicely done, Battle system is easy to handle and well balanced,
Having mass appeal for newbies as well.
Gamers will be satisfied with depth in battle,and tons of hidden things around objects.
We can say BD is very traditional but very evolved RPG.
-- Score 9 --

It feels like traditional epic RPG revived with high-end technologies.
Softly and heart warming visuals.very customizable grow-up system with depth.
Effects and cutscenes are not so flashy, but techniques of storytelling are really skills.
-- Score 9 --

Well balanced RPG with authority. Battle is very deep, Kudos to Shadow system with lot of categories and skills,
And some nifty systems like making enemies fought each others.
The story is very compelling, each events have moving dramas.
One thing that depressed me a little was there is a feature to check enemy's poo.
-- Score 9 --

Battles and UIs include command directions are totally stress-free.
You can play for hours w/o stress, This is relatively uncommon for typical RPGs.
We could find joy of Toriyama's artworks, even in movies and battles.
And I really love the music on boss battle, performed by Ian Gillan.
-- Score 10 --

--- This weeks "summary" must buy! --
Reviewer1:You gamers must play BlueDragon and better to try spreading this for non-gamers.
Reviewer2:RPG gamers won't have any regret for buying BlueDragon.
Reviewer3:I can recommend BlueDragon for everyone. Cutting edge but Retro feeling. I'd rather say those kids will love it.
Reviewer4:BlueDragon is very solid, Ian Gillan's boss music made dug up old CD and listen in "Speed King"

Posted from the link above (Thanks, bigmit3737!)

Apparently, the stuff about slow loading time for the core system was made up.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
arhra said:
whatdog.gif
whatdog.gif

Indeed.

duckroll said:
Here are some scans from Obata's Blue Dragon Ral Grado manga.

WARNING THE FOLLOWING CONTENT MIGHT NOT BE SAFE FOR WORK

Pages 31-36

Page 56

As you can see, the pages available at the moment are all of the perv type. Considering the chapter is 58 pages, I expect there to be action sequences and scenes with the actual goddamn dragon in it. Unfortunately we'll just have to see a naked L with tattoos all over molest a big boobed meganeko for now. ^^;

Hly shit wtf

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wait a second.

Are you guys telling me that the guy that came up with the original enemies (slimes, babbles, wolfman, goldman, wyverns, etc) is the same guy that draws Dragon Ball Z? I'm talking about THE ORIGINAL enemies, back from Dragon Warrior I-IV:

dq1_slime.gif

dq2_battle.gif

dragonwarriorII2.gif

NES_Dragon_Warrior_3_battle.png

Are your really telling me this guy is the same guy that does that does DBZ?

RaijinFY

PantherLotus said:
Wait a second.

Are you guys telling me that the guy that came up with the original enemies (slimes, babbles, wolfman, goldman, wyverns, etc) is the same guy that draws Dragon Ball Z? I'm talking about THE ORIGINAL enemies, back from Dragon Warrior I-IV:

dq1_slime.gif

dq2_battle.gif

dragonwarriorII2.gif

NES_Dragon_Warrior_3_battle.png

Are your really telling me this guy is the same guy that does that does DBZ?

Yes...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Sad thing is, had this been on PS3 in the exact same form it is now it would've got a 39/40 or 40/40. However, being this was regular Famitsu and not 360, that's a great score for BD and I'm sure MS is VERY proud of what they've put their money in to.

Bebpo

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Said thing is, had this been on PS3 in the exact same form it is now it would've got a 39/40 or 40/40. However, being this was regular Famitsu and not 360, that's a great score for BD and I'm sure MS is VERY proud of what they've put their money in to.

Uh...you've played it?

RaijinFY

squatingyeti said:
Said thing is, had this been on PS3 in the exact same form it is now it would've got a 39/40 or 40/40. However, being this was regular Famitsu and not 360, that's a great score for BD and I'm sure MS is VERY proud of what they've put their money in to.

Just no... keep this shit out of this thread please.

Top Bottom