• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Reflection Steam storescreens at 720p, hilarity ensues [Supports 4K, 144FPS]

That's not full quality jpeg file there, at max quality any artifacts will be near invisible at 100% zoom regardless of content.
Here, a similar example I found when googling for higher quality one: image

The thread you linked is not talking about max quality jpeg's because it defeats the purpose in areas they would use this format.

I mean, this is getting beside the point, because we are comparing non full-quality jpegs taken from youtube videos, but that image works better because it's so big, and compression blocks are much smaller than the overall size, but around the edges where colours meet they are still messy...

KT's output on PC is just so bewilderingly inconsistent. Just at a glance, the PC Musous:

DW8XL: PS4 shaders, PS3 assets, no X-Input, good framerate
Arslan: full PS4 visuals, acceptable but not good framerate, full X-Input support
SW4II: PS4 models and enemy counts, PS3 everything else. No X-input, good framerate
Sanada: Full PS4 graphics, full X-Input support, beyond horribly unplayable framerate
All-Stars: Full PS4 graphics, full X-input support, good framerate

And the worst part is that you can't fully escape this hell even if you stay on PS4. Warriors All-Stars supposedly has horrible performance on PS4 Pro, and PS4 Musou performance is pretty inconsistent overall (even if sometimes it's better than on PC, like with Spirit of Sanada).

At this point I don't even know what's the best way to enjoy KT's games anymore.

KT's output on PC is just so bewilderingly inconsistent. Just at a glance, the PC Musous:

Arslan: full PS4 visuals, acceptable but not good framerate, full X-Input support
SW4II: PS4 models and enemy counts, PS3 everything else. No X-input, good framerate
Sanada: Full PS4 graphics, full X-Input support, beyond horribly unplayable framerate

And the worst part is that you can't fully escape this hell even if you stay on PS4. Warriors All-Stars supposedly has horrible performance on PS4 Pro, and PS4 Musou performance is pretty inconsistent overall (even if sometimes it's better than on PC, like with Spirit of Sanada).

At this point I don't even know what's the best way to enjoy KT's games anymore.

No, performances were always worse on PS4 for these Musou titles. And on top of that, Sanada was 900p or so.

Gbraga

basically magical girls going to school and fighting monsters

Is the fighting monsters part the vast majority of the game? Any gameplay in the going to school parts or just cutscenes?

Man, this really looks amazing. Made me wish they'd explore more varied stories with an anime aesthetic. It's always either mahou shoujo or high school shounen, so many interesting anime stories that would make wonderful games.

No, performances were always worse on PS4 for these Musou titles. And on top of that, Sanada was 900p or so.

I haven't played Sanada myself on console, but comparing the performance I get on a GTX 1070 and an i7 6700HQ, youtube videos of the same sections of the same stages under similar circumstances recorded on a PS4 Pro seem smoother.

It's not a huge upgrade either way.

Falk

that puzzling face
Christ, I'm gonna edit the thread title so we (hopefully) stop with the 'but these screenshots look 1080p?!?' posts.

ezodagrom

More performance reports, a user with an i7 7700k and GTX 1060 6GB had no framerate drops (from 60) at 1080p after 3 hours of playtime.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/658260/discussions/0/1495615865231031303/#c1495615865231107366

Christ, I'm gonna edit the thread title so we (hopefully) stop with the 'but these screenshots look 1080p?!?' posts.
At a first glance there doesn't seem to be any downgrade to 2D assets when compared to the PS4 version.
I'm guessing there was misunderstanding from KT, probably they thought the question was about the store page screenshots, which are 1280x720.

I haven't played Sanada myself on console, but comparing the performance I get on a GTX 1070 and an i7 6700HQ, youtube videos of the same sections of the same stages under similar circumstances recorded on a PS4 Pro seem smoother.

It's not a huge upgrade either way.

What settings and resolution ?

Falk

that puzzling face
At a first glance there doesn't seem to be any downgrade to 2D assets when compared to the PS4 version.
I'm guessing there was misunderstanding from KT, probably they thought the question was about the store page screenshots, which are 1280x720.

Right, if we can get some direct comparisons (without YouTube compression) I'll edit again.

I'm just going by the content of the reply from KT right now, which mentions 2D images and not game resolution, and that has at least some historical precedent with past ports. I agree that even then the wording there is ambiguous and could have been referring to storefront images.

edit: clarity

Falk

that puzzling face
Worth noting that the PS4 shots from those comparisons are from youtube videos.

I'm largely honestly ignoring them and pixel-counting the PC images. 720p upscaled to 1.5 don't look like that, especially in the battle screen UI.

prudislav

Is the fighting monsters part the vast majority of the game? Any gameplay in the going to school parts or just cutscenes?.
from what i understood it works its sort of daily routine where aka morning you do school parts , afternoon some side mission for characters and stuff and evening are dungeons ... p

Durante

Even ignoring the low resolution 2D assets.
There are no low resolution 2D assets in that comparison at all.
Are you sure you aren't mixing up the PS4 and PC samples?

The only thing I can see is what is probably a lower-res AO buffer, but at least that is something that can easily be fixed externally.

(And in return you get much higher potential framerates)

Some users are reporting that shadows look worse on PC?
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118529

And also I think there may be ambient occlusion issues.

The doors in the right:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....481/EED44AF8E80069CBDFC08C9A820C4D0E4C75F54F/

Which looks better on PS4 (at 4:05):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1oblEDbCc#t=4m05s

The lights and door:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118526

You know what, every KT game i played on PC (Atelier Sophie; Firis, Toukiden 2, Night of Azure) have problem with shadows, like they are doing this on purpose :/

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118534

I'm assuming this is from a pre-rendered video, PC shot looks pretty bad.

Oh my...

doa 5 being a ps3 port with no lobbies but still getting dlc without an actual update to the game is another one.

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
My PC isn't really powerful at all (AMD FX-6200 with R9 280x). I'm running at 1080p and it is mostly 60 fps. From what I saw, cutscenes encounter more frame dips for some reason. Cutscenes mostly stay in the high 50s but very occasionally goes down to 48 fps with the very rare dip to 43 fps. Not really something I'd really notice if I wasn't watching for it. Surprisingly the framerate is a constant 60 fps during battle despite way flashier graphics going on.

Gbraga

from what i understood it works its sort of daily routine where aka morning you do school parts , afternoon some side mission for characters and stuff and evening are dungeons ... p

Sounds fun, I think I'll end up playing this at some point, then. Thanks!

ezodagrom

I guess to sum it up, comparing the PC version to PS4, so far PC has lower resolution pre-rendered videos, worse shadows, worse ambient occlusion, and worse water effects.

While it's still not a good effort from KT, it's at least better than Firis.

ezodagrom

Actually, what is it running on on PS4 res/framerate wise?
From Steam's community hub:
The basic PS4 can actually run at 60fps, provided the camera look towards the sky for a split second. If you look closer, you can see that they implemented a double buffer v-sync (a type of v-sync that, in a case a frame dips below 60 even for a fraction of a second, the framerate will be lock to half of that)

When the camera points at the sky, it's 60. When the game is stable, its 30fps (60 on menu) and when the alpha crazy effects started happening, it drops to 15fps.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/658260/discussions/0/1495615865231085736/?ctp=4#c1495615865231334074

Any word on 21:9 support?
Specifically 3440x1440

Wide enough?
Y51yqaO.jpg

fek

If anything, this whole carnival of silliness brought a lot of attention to the game it might not otherwise get.
Yeah, this reminds me when Totori Plus dropped on PSN without any announcement. This kind of PR mess up by KT ends up bringing more attention to the game than if it was released normally.

Tagyhag

There's a very ESL person running the customer service e-mail who thinks people are asking if the screenshots on the Steam page will be made 1080p instead.

My goodness, and then you have stuff like Steam cloud not being supported when it's like a 2-3 step thing.

Vamphuntr

Wait, so they actually played the game but they still believe the report rather than their own eyes?

But they're also showing some PC screenshots (which look fine) at the same time? I don't get it.

It's RPG site lol. They probably have no one knowledgeable about this on their team.

Top Bottom